love idea of porteus wheezy pup will help test if networking

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cooltechkathy

love idea of porteus wheezy pup will help test if networking

#1 Post by cooltechkathy »

love idea of porteus puppy want to know if you have devxx file for this need to compile more software than just and need puppy native software too.

Pelo

It's a very bad idea.

#2 Post by Pelo »

It's a very bad idea. Porteus boot is complicated. Pupy has pupsaves. Puppy is a better distro than Porteus. I abandoned Porteus three years ago. It was a nice KDE , however. KDE, behind the desktop, is old fashioned.
Try Pupjibaro Wheezy, and you will see what i mean.
click here, hurry up, because version being replaced by Jessie
Video Facebook will show you what it looks like.
Attachments
facebook.jpg
Offered with bossa nova
(57.98 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

Pelo

#3 Post by Pelo »

rufwoof

Re: It's a very bad idea.

#4 Post by rufwoof »

Pelo wrote:It's a very bad idea. Porteus boot is complicated. Pupy has pupsaves. Puppy is a better distro than Porteus. I abandoned Porteus three years ago.
I use DebianDog Jessie (Openbox) Porteus style boot, read only with optional persistence as my daily/only choice now ... and its great http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=99460. Has the good aspects of Puppy (read only, optional persistence) and the good aspects of Debian (quick security patches/updates, very stable repository (albeit older versions of programs)).

I frugal boot using grub4dos, check for updates and if any click the 'save' to preserve those, otherwise I don't bother saving at end of session, so pristine version always booted.

anikin

#5 Post by anikin »

Porteus is beautiful inside and out. It is exquisite - one of the most professionally built distros. We all love Puppy Linux, but let's also be fair and recognize the achievements of other projects.

Pelo

Porteus is beautiful, no doubt about that

#6 Post by Pelo »

Porteus is beautiful. It creates saves for one session, a second one the the session after. Puppy save allsessions in one Pupsave. That a great progress.
Porteus boots, sure, but it's long time
Puppy boots too, but much faster, will pupsave automatically loaded, nothing to do.

anikin

#7 Post by anikin »

Not exactly so. Have a look at this page, it's worth keeping somewhere on your hard drive:
http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/45-oth ... ricks.html
it has a link to the page, that addresses your concern: http://www.porteus.org/component/conten ... d-one.html
Why isn't this process automated?

While it would be fairly simple to have Porteus automatically create a save.dat file container on the same drive as your Porteus install and update your porteus.cfg to point to it, doing so would keep our users from fully understanding the flexibility and the array of options that are available for storing their changes. Manually creating a .dat container allows you to fully customize the name, location and size of your container. Also, if you look at the documentation in /boot/docs/cheatcodes.txt, there are numerous options for implementing the 'changes=' cheatcode; you can point it to a folder or subfolder (on a linux filesystem) or a container file (on any filesystem), on any writeable device accessible by your system (or just point it to the root of the device, and it will create a 'changes' folder in the root of the device, provided it is has a linux filesystem), and you can reference the path by device name, device label, device UUID, or without referencing the device at all, to have Porteus search for the location on the same drive as your install. With these options, you can put your changes on a separate partition from your Porteus install if you want to, and you can have multiple installations of Porteus with their changes saved to different locations, and your data will be found and mounted, even if you use Porteus on machines with different hardware configurations. Container files can also be created for use with "magic folders", to save the contents of individual directories in your live filesystem to a container (or multiple containers). We believe that encouraging users to read, experiment, and learn will help them find a solution that works the best for their particular situation, as one size certainly does not fit all
I personally don't use save at all. I prefer to customize (throw out the bloat), remaster and have a truly minimal, "always fresh" booting system - and it's really a fast booting system.