Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#976 Post by edoc »

Any need to update my previously downloaded matching dev_squeeze as well?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#977 Post by pemasu »

Edoc. No. It is the same. Nothing in devx sfs has been changed. I didnt even rebuild it and so...I didnt reupload it.

backi

Wireless Problems

#978 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !
Upgraded to your new uploaded Iso .
Now no problems with wireless ralink usb adapter any longer , (networks could not be found using my old savefile). Problems are solved .

Man you ` re really a hard worker .... Respect ...!!

pemasu

#979 Post by pemasu »

backi. That was good news. I think that restoring the firmwares to their old location was right thing to do at this time. Dont do too many changes at one time. Because then you dont know which one of your updates is behind the problematic behavior. For wireless....there is already many updates and changes. I hope wireless connections behave now.
My day work starts tomorrow...after my sick leave....and I will be very busy....

edoc

#980 Post by edoc »

Just did a quick test and it looks good on my Samsung NB30 netbook.

I have to figure out a way to get at the SimpleMail extension for Firefox without wasting space on an extra toolbar at the bottom - display real estate is a premium on the netbook.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

backi

Temperature is not shown

#981 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu !

Seems temperature module does not work .

pemasu

#982 Post by pemasu »

backi. Do you mean tempicon jwm tray application. If yes....then if your hardware supports lm-sensors...it works. If not...you could try to disable lm-sensors by removing /usr/bin/sensors and /usr/lib/libsensors*
Then reinstall the tempicon pet from this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74702

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... h&id=56350

Tempicon should this way work without lm-sensors for those comps which are not lm-sensors compatible.

I am sure you can disable the lm-sensors dependency easier way from tempicon but that is how I tested it without lm-sensors.

If you mean something else....I need more spesific description.

backi

#983 Post by backi »

Hi pemasu
Was missing tempicon in sytray for E17 .
Downloaded the pet you adviced to install..
Now it is in systray E17 and working .
But temperature module E17 does not show temperature .
This is not important for me ...just want to report to you (could look a bit silly but maybe you can use this information )

pemasu

#984 Post by pemasu »

Ok. It was in e17. Yes....I disabled tempicon for e17 because there is already temperature module. I didnt know you were speaking of e17.
By reinstalling tempicon (and optionally removing lm-sensors) enables tempicon for e17 also. It overwrites the script change I did to disable tempicon in e17.

Lm-sensors does not work with all hardware and my suggestion seems to be working solution if you dont get tempicon tray in jwm and you get warning about temp2tray has been removed.

For me...e17 temperature module works and I believe that most laptop users have working e17 temperature module.
You could try the change from udev to internal in temperature setting when you right click the temperature module. I dont know how it changes the detection of cpu temperature...but you can try.

backi

#985 Post by backi »

Hello pemasu .
Switching temperature seting to udev did work . module shows temperature
Thanks

irishrm

#986 Post by irishrm »

Hi pemasu:
Installed the latest iso.

I have a problem with mplayer2.

I have sound but no picture only the outline of the player,not even a black screen.

Is there anything I can do.
irishrm.

pemasu

#987 Post by pemasu »

It is quite difficult to compile generic mplayer2 for me. So...just copy /usr/bin/mplayer from whichever dpup exprimo which worked for you. Mplayer2 is really sensitive of the hardware and I have had difficulties to compile generic version from recent git. It seems 01micko have had same problem.
So....copy working version from whichever dpup version. They should be compatible because mplayer2 is static compile...it includes everything it needs in it....static.

If you find working version from your previous dpup exprimo versions....please post the version for me and post your comp specs...ie PIII, PIV, intel celeron etc...and I can package that version to the exprimo repo. I have there already libvdpau and intel celeron uniprocessor version.

Terry H

#988 Post by Terry H »

Hi pemasu,

All is OK. Frugal install. Wifi (bcm43) is working, save file created successfully. Everything functioning on reboot.

Thanks for all your efforts.

pemasu

#989 Post by pemasu »

Thank You Terry H. I am relieved and rerwin also...I am sure of that.
Okay...I got at last python3 to behave with mplayer2 compiling. It has been the crucial thing for extra parameters by using mplayer_options file. Now I am back in business. Now I just need examples for mplayer2 mplayer_options file when trying to compile as generic mplayer2 as possible without extra bloat. I start to hunt those options from net.
If I succeed with compile I upload it to the repo.

don570

pfilesearch 131

#990 Post by don570 »

Yeah. It seems Pfind-5.01 is broken in dpup. I revert back to 4.25 version. It works. I posted to the Pfind thread about Pfind problem in dpup exprimo. Usually Zigbert responds in his timetable.
Note to Pemasu: Have you tried this .....

pfilesearch 131

This was an early version of pfilesearch 131 that Zigbert didn't
want me to use, but I believe it did work properly with Exprimo
and pfind 5.0???

I'm not at my home computer so you'll have to test it.

Here's the pfind it was specifically designed to work for.

pfind498

Last edited by don570 on Tue 07 Aug 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

irishrm

#991 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:
Thanks for that. It will be a while before I can get to that but I will and I'll report back one way or the other.
irishrm.

jrb

#992 Post by jrb »

pemasu wrote:jrb. See the last rows first.
Thank you of the feedback. Yes...I am curious of why rt73usb does not work.
Hmm....one thought. I do have in sleep.sh (by jemimah) rfkill block command before suspending. There has been several reports with error 132 about rfkill. You can ensure that your wireless is not blocked by executing command: rfkill unblock wlan
Or...better. rmmod rt73usb, then rfkill unblock all, then modprobe rt73usb and try again to rise it up.
The plot thickens. I hope my results make more sense to you than they do to me :lol:

5.X.3.4.2.8 and 9A (the first release) give these results:

Code: Select all

# ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
# rfkill list
0: phy0: wlan
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes
# rmmod rt73usb
# rfkill unblock all
# modprobe rt73usb
# rfkill list
1: phy1: wlan
	Hard blocked: no
# ifconfig wlan0 up

Frisbee showed nothing
simple network setup failed to connect
network connection wizard said it had failed to establish a connection but when the Auto DHCP button was pushed an ipaddress was successfully obtained.

5.X.3.4.2.9B (the 2nd release) give these results:

# ifconfig wlan0 up
# rfkill list
0: phy0: wlan
# rmmod rt73usb
# rfkill unblock all
# modprobe rt73usb
# rfkill list
1: phy1: wlan
# ifconfig wlan0 up
total failure connecting

Dmesg gives:

[   39.366258] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::radio
[   39.366276] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::assoc
[   39.366296] Registered led device: rt73usb-phy0::quality
[   39.366967] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
lsmod shows only rt73usb loading

One other odd note, When I established a connection in .8 and .9A if I did a hot boot then wlan0 had no rfkill blocking. :shock: If I did a cold boot then wlan0 was once again blocked.

I should mention that it took me a long time to get any Linux distro running on this machine. It must be booted with

reserve=0xFFB00000,0x100000
as one of the boot options or it crashes. Perhaps this is affecting the situation as well.

If no one else complains about this problem I'd write it off as odd hardware. :wink:

stu91

#993 Post by stu91 »

Hi Pemasu,
Hope the first day back to work is going well - good news B43 wifi is detected on first boot, save file creation and shutdown also work as expected.

pemasu

#994 Post by pemasu »

Jrb. Interesting problem. I believe it is hardware and maybe kernel related problem. My hunch of wlan blocked seems to be right. It looks like that when you cold boot with my build....the wlan will be blocked for whatever reason, that seems fact.
I just wonder....if you put those needed commands to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local so...that they are executed before you boot X, would it help the outcome.
Also...you could test sns....after you have disabled Frisbee with Frisbee disable-enable manager: from menu > network and put those commands to rc.local and reboot. Sns wont work before you have rebooted, usually. That is the problem with several connection managers. They interfere each other.
I have noticed that if I rfkill my wlan (with Fn+wireless button) the Frisbee does not always show wireless when I have unblocked wlan.

I dont have better solution to offer.

Stu91. First day is behind. Tough day....as I knew. It is always difficult to tune yourself to face problems after prolonged period of work inactivity...and there really were some of them waiting for me...lol.
For me...it takes some time to be able to keep attention at top the whole work day.
But now at home....little exhausted though.

rerwin

desktop-restore backup omission

#995 Post by rerwin »

pemasu,
As I mentioned in a PM to you, your rc.shutdown mod to save the desktop icon configuration is omitted from 5X3429 -- fortunately! That modification of puppy infrastructure is unnecessary and constitutes a "maintenance headache" for you and others. The "standard" way of adding a function to the shutdown process is by way of a "service script" in /etc/init.d, coded to run only at shutdown. I attach such a script and recommend that it be added to the "desktop-restore" .pet package in place of the dangerous user instructions to modify puppy. This can be installed now by anyone needing the desktop-restore function. Here is its content:

#!/bin/sh
#Save desktop icon configuration for desktop-restore function.
case $1 in
 stop)
  mkdir /root/.desktop 2>/dev/null
  cp -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin  /root/.desktop 2>/dev/null
  cp -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons /root/.desktop 2>/dev/null
 ;;
esac
If shutdown is the only place the backup is needed, the "backup" part of the desktop-restore script could be removed, making the script do only what its name implies.

I wonder, though, how much it is needed. Is it a workaround for a puppy deficiency that has already been fixed -- or needs to be? Anyway, this script is a non-invasive way to activate the desktop-restore capability.
Richard
Attachments
desktop-backup_on_shutdown-1.pet
Saves desktop icon configuration at shutdown, to support desktop-restore.
(526 Bytes) Downloaded 232 times