Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
feelsub

#616 Post by feelsub »

I'm glad I convinced you, master, for NTFS and FFmpeg; hope you may convince other Puppies administrators, so that everyone is on same foot.

Now, if you need to recompile VLC, I suggest the latest release and at least and i686 compile( if not with SSE2); indeed on my old laptop Celeron M 1.4Ghz, if Puppy is faster than WinXP to browse, I can NOT watch a H264 film HD ready under Puppy(CPU overloaded), while OK under WinXP with anti-virus.... By the way SMPlayer shows to be less CPU extensive than VLC.
Gthump is out. It needs polluted gnome-common and other stuff which has been cleaned out in dpup exprimo. In fact...I dont know any Puppy with gnome-common package.
Well in Lucid 5.2.X, 3headed dog and I think Slacko it installs successfully from PPM.
My motivation for Gthumb in place Viewnor is the same than for HD ready films, Viewnor is slow; AV Linux has been convinced and has dumped Viewnor for Gthumb.

Puppy Package Manager bug:
If you check "puppy-lucid-official" in the configure properties, it does NOT appear in the repositories.

Some failed installs from Ppack Package Manager (name is confusing with Puppy Package Manager); Exprimo repository:

SMPlayer 0.8 (installs without error, terminal run:)
# smplayer
smplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libQtXml.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10...." failed to install.

Gnumeric-1.10-13dpup
# gnumeric
gnumeric: error while loading shared libraries: libgoffice-0.8.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Skype 4.0 failed to install

From Puppy Package Manager; exprimo repository:
Skype 4.0 failed to download
LibreOffice 3.5.0 failed to install.

=========

If you change the country setting from say en_US to fr_BE, at X restart, all icons are repositioned to their origal desktop location; if you just perform an X restart, this does not happen. Country locals have had a problem with Puppies, I already reported bugs about this, some were fix, I still believes issues with character sets encoding are linked with improper locals.

End of test.
Thanks

stu90

#617 Post by stu90 »

I made a little change to the Aurora GTK theme - instead of the background being white it is now gray to match more with the rest of the theme.
Attachments
Aurora2.tar.gz
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 289 times

stu90

#618 Post by stu90 »

feelsub wrote:
Some failed installs from Ppack Package Manager (name is confusing with Puppy Package Manager); Exprimo repository:
Hi feelsub,

Puppy Package Manager has been updated somewhere along the way and from what i can tell will now dependency check puppy packages as well as host repo packages - this is something Ppack doesn't do so that is why some packages are now failing to work when installed with ppack.
I will suggest to Pemasu that Ppack be removed from his next build until i get time to review the code.

cheers.

pemasu

#619 Post by pemasu »

Now, if you need to recompile VLC, I suggest the latest release and at least and i686 compile( if not with SSE2)
VLC-2.01 in exprimo repo has been compiled i686 with SSE2. And it is the latest release.

I dont target to the old hardware. My kernel has been optimized core 2 and up. I tend to support more or less somewhat newer hw because I have such. Wary, 214X are the ones for better support to the older hw.
Gthumb is also in squeeze repo. You can try that. When I checked the compile specs, it insisted gnome-common needs to be present. That is my line, no gnome-common for me. You could try to compile it and I will add it to the exprimo repo gladly and willingly. Have you tried Geeqie ? I would like to know if it is fast enough. That one has been compiled in Dpup.
If you check "puppy-lucid-official" in the configure properties, it does NOT appear in the repositories.

That repo has been there for Ppack usage. PPM declines to use other distro repositories. Squeeze - dpup and exprimo for Dpup. Lucid Puppy repo has been excluded. Of course that could be circumvented, but I stay now with woof PPM. Just for a while. Ppack Manager is not anymore PPM compliant and it will be removed until stu90 improves it. Thank you of the report of failing installations.
From Puppy Package Manager; exprimo repository: Skype 4.0 failed to download .
I dont have Skype 4.0 in exprimo repo. I have http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... 1.0.81.sfs only.
LibreOffice 3.5.0 failed to install.
I will check that. Anyway...Use from the menu > document > Get Libre office ... and you get the more recent version as sfs.
EDIT: LibreOffice 3.5.0 pet installed from PPM - exprimo repo ok. And it appeared to the menu and the Writer started ok.

peebee

#620 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:I dont have Skype 4.0 in exprimo repo.
Hi pemasu

I have Skype 4.0.0.7 from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79077 running on squeeze_5.X.3.1.10.3

but it needed qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet to work......

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

feelsub

#621 Post by feelsub »

All those package manager & repositories are confusing me.
VLC-2.01 in exprimo repo has been compiled i686 with SSE2. And it is the latest release.
Well, this laptop is 32bits, if you compile 64bits better to indicate it. still no luck for me

Code: Select all

# vlc
VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower (revision 2.0.1-0-gf432547)
[0x80cd660] main interface error: no suitable interface module
[0x804e3f0] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
[0x804e3f0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[0x80cd660] [cli] lua interface: Listening on host "*console".
VLC media player 2.0.1 Twoflower
Command Line Interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
Use from the menu > document > Get Libre office ... and you get the more recent version as sfs.
Doesn't work on USB key.

pemasu

#622 Post by pemasu »

# vlc
If you install from the PPM using exprimo repo and typing vlc and then check dependencies ---> PPM find dependencies: qt-basic-with-webkit...and vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup and installing them along with vlc-2.0.1 and VLC should work.
Well, this laptop is 32bits, if you compile 64bits better to indicate it. still no luck for me
Dpup is 32 bits. There is FatDog which is 64 bit and also LHP 64. I think there isnt any other 64 bits Puppy. Also there is Iguleder`s new roar-ng which builds natively 64 bit small distro. So...if you dont build your own distro or use one of those 64 bits Puppy distros, you are at safe side.
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#623 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:
# vlc
If you install from the PPM using exprimo repo and typing vlc and then check dependencies ---> PPM find dependencies: qt-basic-with-webkit...and vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup and installing them along with vlc-2.0.1 and VLC should work.
For what it's worth, I just downloaded and installed VLC 2.0.1 and the dependencies from the Exprimo repo and it works here on the frugal install on my Athlon XP box.

shinobar

#624 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote:Thanks Shinobar - Peebee of the bug hunting. Can I do the modification to the 0.6.9 version and include it to the bug fix release using latest woof ?
I am not sure what is the fundamental cause.
'man 8 mount.cifs' shows 'netbiosname' as an option and it is accepted by that on most of puppy. But it is refused on the Dpup.

It is a mystery why the Dpup refuses the option. The 'netbiosname' need only with Windows 9x, i suppose. Anyway, i will try to modify the pnethood to be more universal.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

rcrsn51

#625 Post by rcrsn51 »

@shinobar: netbiosservername is a valid option in Dpup. It just doesn't want to be the FIRST option.

Gnuxo

#626 Post by Gnuxo »

I installed VLC 2.01 in my ubuntu Laptop and it works nice.
But I also installed Mozilla-Plugin-VLC 2.01 and it works amazing. The web interface has been completely redesigned. It loads videos quickly, it has a menu and progress bar.

I am wishing VLC 2.01 was available in .pet or .sfs so I could use that plugin to watch youtube.

shinobar

#627 Post by shinobar »

rcrsn51 wrote:@shinobar: netbiosservername is a valid option in Dpup. It just doesn't want to be the FIRST option.
Thanks. the servernetbiosname as a single (separate) option got success.
mount.cifs //192.168.11.3/mydoc /mnt/network/PUPPYPC7123/mydoc -o servernetbiosname=PUPPYPC7123 -o username=root,password=woofwoof,nounix,noserverino,iocharset=utf8
I don't know why there is difference between slacko and dpup.

shinobar

pnethood-0.7

#628 Post by shinobar »

pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/test/
NOTE: does not contain nbtscan.

#12jan2011 shinobar: refresh button, scanspeed 2 seconds, check if the rcfile exists
#23mar2012 shinobar: use mount.cifs with 'nounix' option(func_mount), UTF-8 encording default
#17may2012 shinobar: extracting sharename
#17may2012 shinobar: i18n
#20jun2012 shinobar: export GTKDIALOG for other func
#5jul2012 shinobar: fix was failed on Dpup Exprimo (servernetbiosname in func_mount)
VERSION=0.7.i18n #shinobar

peebee

Re: pnethood-0.7

#629 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet
VERSION=0.7.i18n #shinobar
Hi Shinobar

Regret to report new version doesn't work - don't think you've included the changed func_mount in this pet???

Thanks
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

shinobar

#630 Post by shinobar »

peebee wrote:don't think you've included the changed func_mount in this pet???
Oops. Thanks for notifying me.
Download the same filename with new time stamp:
pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet 05-Jul-2012 18:31 18k

peebee

#631 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:Download the same filename with new time stamp:
pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet 05-Jul-2012 18:31 18k
Now works - thanks - :D

feelsub

#632 Post by feelsub »

Have you tried Geeqie ? I would like to know if it is fast enough.
OK now, the numbers on a test laptop 32bits
CPU: Celeron M 1.4Ghz (with SSE2)
RAM 512Mb
a folder with jpeg btw 5 to 7 Mb
To browse through 10 of them
Viewnor : 24,8 sec
Gthumb 2.11.5 : 24,8 sec (on Dpup crashes if edit>preferences)
Gthumb 2.10.11: 23.6 sec (under 3headed dog)
Geeqie 1.0: 19,7 sec (on Dpup)
Picasa 3.0 beta: 9sec (under 3headed dog)

Now same under WinXP with anti-virus:
Picasa 3.9: 11sec
FastStone: 10 sec
Dpup is 32 bits. There is FatDog which is 64 bit and also LHP 64. I think there isnt any other 64 bits Puppy. Also there is Iguleder`s new roar-ng which builds natively 64 bit small distro. So...if you dont build your own distro or use one of those 64 bits Puppy distros, you are at safe side.
I dont target to the old hardware. My kernel has been optimized core 2 and up.
With all respect, you seem to have a miss conception, to match your objective you should build it as at least as 64bits, see my thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 579#638579
No particular issues with 3headed dog, so far no luck with Dpup (also coming from compilation options?)

FYI: cvlc runs fine, Gnome Mplayer opens correctly but does NOT play files even mp3(Pmusic OK)
to come back on VLC
If you install from the PPM using exprimo repo
I did (Ppack Package Manager)
and typing vlc and then check dependencies
Well here the result of dependencies check

Code: Select all

File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblibmpeg2_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libmpeg2.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libzvbi_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libzvbi.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/liblibass_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libass.so.4 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/codec/libsdl_image_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_xv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libxcb-xv.so.0 libxcb-shm.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_window_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libxcb-keysyms.so.1 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/video_output/libxcb_x11_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libxcb-shm.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libqt4_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libQtGui.so.4 libQtCore.so.4 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/gui/libskins2_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libtar.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/services_discovery/libmtp_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libmtp.so.8 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/audio_filter/libdtstofloat32_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libdca.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/audio_filter/liba52tofloat32_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 liba52-0.7.4.so 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/demux/libmpc_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libmpcdec.so.6 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/demux/libts_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libdvbpsi.so.6 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/demux/libmkv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libmatroska.so.5 libebml.so.3 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/mux/libmux_ts_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libdvbpsi.so.6 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblinsys_sdi_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libzvbi.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_mtp_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libmtp.so.8 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libaccess_dv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libavc1394.so.0 librom1394.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libxcb_screen_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libxcb-composite.so.0 libxcb-xfixes.so.0 libxcb-shape.so.0 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblibbluray_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libbluray.so.1 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libdtv_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libdvbpsi.so.6 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/control/libglobalhotkeys_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libxcb-keysyms.so.1 
File /usr/lib/vlc/plugins/access_output/libaccess_output_shout_plugin.so has these missing library files:
 libshout.so.3

stu90

#633 Post by stu90 »

feelsub wrote:
If you install from the PPM using exprimo repo
Hello feelsub,
Regarding issues with missing dependencies with Ppack Package Manager - Please see my reply to your previous post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 400#638400

There is two package managers on current Expriomo:
Puppy Package Manager ( official Puppy package manager )
Ppack Package Manager ( un-official and now broken package manager )
If Ppack is broken why is it included in Exprimo? - An oversight on my part, i was unaware that Ppack is now broken so never informed Pemasu of this issue.

In the meantime i would recommend un-installing any broken / none working packages that have been installed with Ppack then re-install them through the official Puppy Package Manager so any missing dependencies are resolved.

To make sure you are using the correct Puppy Package Manager open a terminal and enter the command: ppm &

pemasu

#634 Post by pemasu »

I have always meant Puppy Package Manager when I type PPM. Puppy Package Manager do have dependency checking. As stu90 previously wrote ( even before above post ), which you have have seemed to be missing.... Ppack Package Manager does not have dependency checking. It could be that I should repost what every other posters post, but that would pollute this thread.
Hi feelsub,

Puppy Package Manager has been updated somewhere along the way and from what i can tell will now dependency check puppy packages as well as host repo packages - this is something Ppack doesn't do so that is why some packages are now failing to work when installed with ppack.
I will suggest to Pemasu that Ppack be removed from his next build until i get time to review the code.
Here it is again. Puppy Package Manager ie PPM has dependency checking, Ppack Package Manager does not have. So that things will be even more easier in the next release....I will remove Ppack Package Manager as stu90 suggested.

I try to post more clearly right on, so that there isnt so much possibilites for misunderstanding.

pemasu

#635 Post by pemasu »

Now, if you need to recompile VLC, I suggest the latest release and at least and i686 compile( if not with SSE2)
Here is the compile specs of the VLC-2.0.1 which is in exprimo repo (previously compiled...not new compile)....using PPM ie Puppy Package Manager:
libvlc configuration
--------------------
version : 2.0.1
system : linux
architecture : i686 mmx sse sse2
optimizations : yes
vlc aliases : cvlc rvlc svlc qvlc
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --enable-run-as-root --enable-pvr --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --disable-notify --disable-sid --disable-goom --disable-decklink --disable-smb --disable-gme --disable-taglib --enable-non-utf8 --disable-pulse --disable-fluidsynth --disable-libproxy --disable-projectm --disable-portaudio --disable-jack --disable-kate --disable-kai --disable-tiger --disable-upnp --disable-kva --disable-live555 --disable-crystalhd --disable-speex --disable-schroedinger --disable-dirac --enable-merge-ffmpeg --without-kde-solid --enable-mkv --disable-caca