Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
shinobar

pnethood-0.6.9

#586 Post by shinobar »

UPDATED:
#17may2012 shinobar: extracting sharename
#20jun2012 shinobar: export GTKDIALOG for other func

Download pnethood-0.6.9.pet or pnethood-0.6.9.i18n.pet (I18N'ed)
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 136#638136
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

linuph

guvcview not working

#587 Post by linuph »

Guvcview does not start up at all. It does ask for a webcam when it is not plugged in. After plugging in the webcam and restarting it does nothing. Mplayer tv:// from Terminal does work.

peebee

Re: pnethood-0.6.9

#588 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:Download pnethood-0.6.9.pet
Hi shinobar / pemasu

Downloaded and installed shinobar's updated pet - now get the attached "fail to mount" message......

A screenie of a succesful connection under slacko5.3.3 using identical login parameters is also attached.

Running pnethood from the terminal doesn't give any useful clues as to why the mount is failing....

The only difference in options that I can see is that the exprimo version is setup to use utf-8 in cifs whereas slacko isn't - however I've tried unticking that option and it didn't help.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
(23.83 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
capture7861.png
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 755 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

linuph

Remaster problem

#589 Post by linuph »

I reported that Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 is working great and that I Installed rt5370sta-v2.5.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet and bluetooth-05. pet to enable WiFi and Bluetooth respectively
Pemasu replied that rt5370sta-v2.5.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet is not the oorrect version and that Dpup Exprimo should work with the built-in driver. Yes, it works allright, but it's a bit confusing. Let me explain.
I installed the original Dpup Exprimo on a USB FLash, installed rt5370sta-v2.5.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet and bluetooth-0.5 and remastered to another USB flash.
Upon startup of the remastered version, bluetooth-0.5 was missing, so I installed it again. I now understand that rt5370sta-v2.5.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet was also missing but it is not needed to make WiFi work.

This is the same remaster problem I reported about with lupu528. See thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79174.

shinobar

#590 Post by shinobar »

peebee wrote:A screenie of a succesful connection under slacko5.3.3 using identical login parameters is also attached.
Do you mean you can connect the share with no problem on slacko5.3.3, but cannot on Dpup Exprimo?
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

stu90

#591 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,
Hope your arm is on the mend after the operation?
Unfortunately for me Exprimo version 5.X.3.4.2.2 is unable to create a save file - it goes through the cli save file set up but then hangs during the save file creation. :(
Though it maybe a bad download at first but re-download and md5 check are ok tested 3.fs and 4.fs format save files with same results.
Currently running squeeze-5.X.3.4.2-SCSI which is working ok.

Duel core AMD Turion TL-50
Radion Express 200m

Cheers.

stu90

Re: Tano IP TV player

#592 Post by stu90 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi pemasu,

Thanks for the Tano IP TV player, I think.(':lol:'). I installed it (along with VLC & its dependencies) and fired it up. It asked for an m3u playlist on my computer. I don't got one.(':('). Didn't even know what one was.(':oops:') So I googled hoping to find one somebody already created. Found a promise that someone will post one in a couple of months. Discovered that an m3u play list is just a simple text file listing channels/stations (I guess with an m3u ending). Googled for IP TV channels. Got nowhere. I decided to give up and clicked "cancel." Voila! an interface which looked promising. Clicked Options>Edit Channels and got the below dialog. Not knowing what data to input, I clicked "Scan and update" and hoped for the best. It didn't occur. It scanned, and scanned, and scanned.
Well, I got bored.
Can anyone suggest what arguments might take Tano out of an infinite scanning loop? FYI, if it matters, I'm in North America in the vicinity of NYC.

mikesLr
Hi mikeslr,
I havent tested Tano IP TV player but here is a .m3u playlist file if you are wanting to test one with a couple of the tv stations from Pup radio/telly.

After download rename and remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
tv.m3u.gz
remove fake .gz extension from file name
(255 Bytes) Downloaded 272 times

peebee

#593 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:
peebee wrote:A screenie of a succesful connection under slacko5.3.3 using identical login parameters is also attached.
Do you mean you can connect the share with no problem on slacko5.3.3, but cannot on Dpup Exprimo?
Yes
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#594 Post by pemasu »

Unfortunately for me Exprimo version 5.X.3.4.2.2 is unable to create a save file - it goes through the cli save file set up but then hangs during the save file creation.
Shoulder is still painful, but it hasnt stopped me for fishing. We got yesterday together 12 kg of pikeperch from the lake. After jigging 2 hours per day two days...My shoulder is in flames now....but it has been fun.

About failure to create savefile. This was now the second report of that problem. Also pnethood mysteriously does not work as it should ?

I dont have clear answer to these problems. The woof is newer than in previous build but nothing I have updated since previous build should otherwise affect. I think I need to download latest woof and try new build. With the latest updates, ie pnethood update and maybe some other puppy apps updates, if there has been them. But I need to wait since I get to the home back. I dont dare to download woof with this slow 3g connection.

shinobar

#595 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Do you mean you can connect the share with no problem on slacko5.3.3, but cannot on Dpup Exprimo?
peebee wrote:Yes
Slacko-5.3.3 uses pnethood-0.6.8. Install the next and test please.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... .6.8-2.pet

peebee

#596 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:Slacko-5.3.3 uses pnethood-0.6.8. Install the next and test please.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pac ... .6.8-2.pet
Hi Shinobar

pnethood-0.6.8-2 gives the same error message.

/var/log/messages shows:

Code: Select all

Jul  4 11:37:55 puppypc30980 user.err kernel: [  114.802296] CIFS: Unknown mount option "servernetbiosname=ATHOME"
Jul  4 11:39:23 puppypc30980 user.err kernel: [  203.224572] CIFS: Unknown mount option "servernetbiosname=ATHOME"
Perhaps I should mention that I am connecting to my desktop that is also running Puppy Slack 5.3.3 + samba - not to a Windows PC.....

Cheers
peebee

rcrsn51

Re: pnethood problem

#597 Post by rcrsn51 »

peebee wrote:I'm getting errors from pnethood on 5.x.3.4.2.2 - finds my share OK but won't allow me to connect.
I can confirm this. If the share requires authentication, neither the current Pnethood nor shinobar's pnethood-0.6.9.pet will connect. I tested this with both a Win7 share and a Puppy Samba server.

However, YASSM works fine in both cases.

James C

#598 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: About failure to create savefile..
For whatever it's worth, no problems here making save files with 5.X.3.4.2.2.
Manual frugal install..... ext4 savefile on an ext3 partition. Used installer for another frugal.......ext4 savefile on ext3 partition.
Booting from cd...ext4 savefile on fat32 flash drive and another ext4 savefile on ntfs (the dreaded Windows 7). All were totally straightforward.

James C

#599 Post by James C »

Other than booting to a black display on initial boot, working good here.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.4.2.2 on Tue 3 Jul 2012

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2853MB (171MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 03 Jul 2012 09:54:52 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 2853820 528916 2324904 0 55736
-/+ buffers: 473180 2380640
Swap: 0 0 0
#

mikeslr

More on Tano TV -- Is sound working.

#600 Post by mikeslr »

@ Stu90,

Thanks for the playlist and the reference to PupRadio/TV. The former enabled testing whether Tano was working. The latter gave me an idea about how to locate streams. Now to figure out what to do next. I'm too new at this to even ask intelligible questions.

The playlist you sent provided three streams. I was able to select and play each of them in Tano. Video worked but no sound. So I checked that nothing was muted and that I had sound via Opera/Firefox.
I don't know why I don't have sound in Tano. Nasa streams might not include it. But certainly a stream of Groucho Marx is incomplete without it.

mikesLr

feelsub

#601 Post by feelsub »

Quote:
Could install either AbiWord 2.8 or 2.9, but don't work.
Open PPM and click configure button and then ok without touching the choiced repos. Then close it and reopen PPM. Now exprimo repo has been enabled. Type abiword.
OK from PPM, but it's version 2.8.2. I 1st tried abiword-common, but that's the one which is not working.

Gnumeric 1.10.8 OK but starts with error "/root/%u no such file or directory"
* ntfs-3g from a 2010.3.6 version to 2012.1
-----> why ? what benefits there is to upgrade it compared to squeeze default one. Just upgrading something is not my priority.
Lots of fixes see http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/
But this pet works http://www.datafilehost.com/download-b2aa69a5.html
Gparted from 0.7 to 0.12
----> see above question. What benefits there is. You will need to compile all lib*mm files as static and then compile latest Gparted as static against them. Or install those big libpangomm etc lib*mm files as shared and then compile Gparted as shared. I have managed without those big lib*mm libs all this time.
Several times new Gparted has broken something with Puppy installer scripts like Puppy Universal Installer. Again...I would need to know how does newer Gparted benefit Puppy users.
See changelog: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?entries=all
such as

Unable to grow and shrink FAT16 and FAT32 file systems
Unable to shrink HFS and HFS+ file systems
Unable to determine used and unused sectors in HFS and HFS+ file systems
Unable to erase file system signatures on partition create and format
FAT16 and FAT32 file system moves performed internally by GParted instead of by libparted

Other key changes include:

Fix size off by one sector with unrecognized disk label
Fix GParted crashes with assertion (head_size <= 63)
Requires libparted-2.4 or higher
I will use Ffmpeg 0.91 whence there is something which is missing from it. Upgrading ffmpeg will mean large depending multimedia applications recompile, for example VLC depends on the version it has been compiled against. Not very delicious choice just to upgrade it and all other apps which needs it.
Well since version 0.11 there is WMA lossless support, 0.10 also provides new codecs -> ffplay
But there still muxing bugs esp. with aac, which I hope to see fixed in next release.
Quote:
Replace Viewnor by Gthumb, which is way faster and more complete.
.... I will keep Viewnior as default viewer because it is familiar to Puppy users and fast enough.
Indeed, it's on other Puppies, now try with large Mpix images (>12Mpix) and you'll readily see the advantage.
GIMP 2.8 is out. It needs newer libs than squeeze provide.
hope to see it than.

Thanks

stu90

#602 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:
Unfortunately for me Exprimo version 5.X.3.4.2.2 is unable to create a save file - it goes through the cli save file set up but then hangs during the save file creation.
Shoulder is still painful, but it hasnt stopped me for fishing. We got yesterday together 12 kg of pikeperch from the lake. After jigging 2 hours per day two days...My shoulder is in flames now....but it has been fun.

About failure to create savefile. This was now the second report of that problem. Also pnethood mysteriously does not work as it should ?

I dont have clear answer to these problems. The woof is newer than in previous build but nothing I have updated since previous build should otherwise affect. I think I need to download latest woof and try new build. With the latest updates, ie pnethood update and maybe some other puppy apps updates, if there has been them. But I need to wait since I get to the home back. I dont dare to download woof with this slow 3g connection.
Sound like you are having a good time sans the shoulder - what do you do with all the fish, eat them?

I have now got Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 running with a savefile - i made a blank 3.fs save file beforehand then booted into Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 and used that - saves and reboots seem to be working correctly this way with no hanging at shutdown. :)

pemasu

#603 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. We have 6 ppl eating them and we put the rest to the freezes as files. We are going to night jigging this night. Had to go to the town and by more jigs. The place where we jig is old log dropping place. And there is a lot binding wires in the bottom. Somehow it is also place where the pikeperches reside.
OK from PPM, but it's version 2.8.2. I 1st tried abiword-common, but that's the one which is not working.
You are still not using exprimo repo. I believe you have installed debs from squeeze repos not from exprimo repo. Just downloaded again, it works and I had abiword 2.9.0. Just to confirm.
Unable to erase file system signatures on partition create and format
That sounds significant. I suppose there isnt many volunteers to static compile the lib*mm libs and compile statically gparted.
Anyway...here is the link to the Barry`s instructions: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00693
If someone compiles newer gparted, I will upgrade it. Just download latest lib*mm libs sources and latest gparted source and then install those statically compiled libs and then compile statically gparted and package for example with new2dir.
Well since version 0.11 there is WMA lossless support
Sounds good. I will put ffmpeg to the todo list. But not very soon.
Indeed, it's on other Puppies, now try with large Mpix images (>12Mpix) and you'll readily see the advantage.
Have you tried Geeqie from the exprimo repo. Gthump is out. It needs polluted gnome-common and other stuff which has been cleaned out in dpup exprimo. In fact...I dont know any Puppy with gnome-common package.
ntfs-3g from a 2010.3.6 version to 2012.1
Fixes list was redundant in your posted link. Okay....I gave it a go. I used internal fuse, because I would have to had update fuse libs to use external libs and that would have meant to compile latest util-linux before latest fuse libs would have been compiled. So...I took the shorter road. Might not work as it should but....here is the ./configure:

Code: Select all

./configure CFLAGS="-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" --prefix=/ --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --with-fuse=internal
I consider the attached pets as alpha compile. They mounted ntfs for me and unmounted also, Puppy Universal Installer showed the partitions right, but I am not sure if the ntfs stuff has been used in partition recognition stage, probably not.
Install the pet with dedicated pfix=ram situation, if you want to explore the usability of the pet and give feedback. I am not sure if all puppy scripts are happy with this compile. You have been warned.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#604 Post by Gnuxo »

I found an IM client for linux called Qnext.

I was going to download it to see if I could compile it, however it doesn't list dependencies and the file is a .tgz file and when I click, pupget keeps trying to install it.

I let pupget install it a few times but everytime, I can't find what was installed.

...It would be nice to get some assistance with this.

Homepage: www.qnext.com

pemasu

#605 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. Just right click the 61.6 Mb ! qnextsetup.tgz package and choose filer-roller or open archive choice. Both of them extracts the .tgz without probs to your selected folder. Default extraction happens where to compressed package is...ie to the same folder. There is Pidgin in the repo by the way.