Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#256 Post by pemasu »

Those repos are there so that you can use Ppack Package Manager to download from them. It is not safe to download from other distro repos if you dont know what you are doing and you do it intended. Lucid Puppy repo is exception.
Lucid Puppy apps almost always works...but not always straight... some libs might be missing and you need to hunt them after installation.
So...I am not sure that making those repos available straight with PPM is good idea. You can break your system slightly by using wary5 applications.

So.....use Ppack Package Manager from Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Ppack Package Manager > choose the repo you want to use and download.

Conky Lua hacking is work under process. Conly Lua needs some individual editing of conkyrc of chosen theme. I would like to have temp also shown as rising -descending ring color if I get advice from Jemimah or from the net. I will upload my used Conky Lua with all needed deps soon.

gcmartin

#257 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote:Those repos are there so that you can use Ppack Package Manager to download from them. ...
That's a really heady approach for all of us.

Thanks for this explanation. This really makes clear what I had assumed when I noticed this in earlier @Pemasu editions.

Thanks again!
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 14 Apr 2012, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#258 Post by pemasu »

http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... h-0.01.pet
2.3 Mb. The original setup without stripping was 6.5 Mb.

This conky pet has only those bins and libs included which are not in base distro. Only bluelua theme is included and inside the conky switcher. You can get the other themes from conky lua thread. Bluelua has been edited for my needs. Usually conkyrc needs tuning for your needs.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/misc/conkys ... x-0.02.pet

If you extract that pet and get the /root/.conky/* and copy them to same place....excecpt bluelua folder if you want to use my edited version.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#259 Post by James C »

Downloaded newest version....fresh manual frugal install. Looks good except for....
Attachments
drive icons.png
(11.94 KiB) Downloaded 455 times

James C

#260 Post by James C »

The link to jemimah's conkyswitcher gets a error 404.

But the results looks pretty neat. :)
Attachments
Exprimo 5.X.3.2.14.1.png
(157.23 KiB) Downloaded 460 times

recobayu

#261 Post by recobayu »

pemasu wrote:http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... h-0.01.pet
2.3 Mb. The original setup without stripping was 6.5 Mb.

This conky pet has only those bins and libs included which are not in base distro. Only bluelua theme is included and inside the conky switcher. You can get the other themes from conky lua thread. Bluelua has been edited for my needs. Usually conkyrc needs tuning for your needs.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/misc/conkys ... x-0.02.pet

If you extract that pet and get the /root/.conky/* and copy them to same place....excecpt bluelua folder if you want to use my edited version.
very great, pemasu.
but i have a problem. the lua doesn't appear in my desktop after i install that pet. how to fix that?
thanks. :D

edited:
i add liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_i386.deb from this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72815
and it's fixed. really happy with this.
:wink:
Last edited by recobayu on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

#262 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I have done a Frugal then a Full install of yesterday's 5x3.2.14.1.

No problem found with the Frugal.

Again with the Full, I see the boot-up message:
"Making file system usable.........................failed" ("failed" in orange text)
but booting continues and this Full Exprimo runs well, with no mouse freezing.
Does this "failed" message mean anything?

The partition icons across the bottom of my monitor (using jwm) are in alphabetical(?) order, so I see mine as:
sda10 sda11 sda12 sda13 sda14 sda1 sda2.....sda9 sdb10 sdb11 sdb12.....
It is just a little bit inconvenient as all other Pups do the sort in alpha-numeric order (sda1 sda2 etc) so I have to concentrate on where I click now.

Otherwise very nice, so thank you.

David S.

jim3630

#263 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Those repos are there so that you can use Ppack Package Manager to download from them. It is not safe to download from other distro repos if you dont know what you are doing and you do it intended. Lucid Puppy repo is exception.
Lucid Puppy apps almost always works...but not always straight... some libs might be missing and you need to hunt them after installation.
So...I am not sure that making those repos available straight with PPM is good idea. You can break your system slightly by using wary5 applications.

So.....use Ppack Package Manager from Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy > Ppack Package Manager > choose the repo you want to use and download.

Conky Lua hacking is work under process. Conly Lua needs some individual editing of conkyrc of chosen theme. I would like to have temp also shown as rising -descending ring color if I get advice from Jemimah or from the net. I will upload my used Conky Lua with all needed deps soon.
wonder why then puppy lucid official did not show up once it was chosen?

James C

#264 Post by James C »

Did a test full install on an old test box. Good news, the mouse is still working at the moment. :)
The bad news, there is no drive icon for the NTFS partition.Well, it wasn't there on the initial boot into the full install but I scanned the hdd with GParted and the drive icon magically appeared.
GetFlash is now working consistently now as well.

Just rebooted and no drive icon for sda1 (ntfs) only one for sda2 (ext3).

James C

#265 Post by James C »

Full install..... mouse has survived three reboots.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.2.14.1 on Sat 14 Apr 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1
oem: Copyright 1998 TRIDENT MICROSYSTEMS INC.

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: is

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
Using "Trident" driver.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Memory : 505MB (105MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 14 Apr 2012 11:27:59 PM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev50

I'll recheck but I'm pretty sure the drive icon for the ntfs partition was visible on the desktop running live preparing to do the full install.
Attachments
drive.png
(31.69 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
missing ntfs drive icon.png
(8 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

James C

#266 Post by James C »

Didn't take long....... mouse just froze up.

Strangely enough..... did a hard power off ,booted into Windows then rebooted back into Exprimo and the mouse is working and the missing drive icon has decided to appear.

Naturally , md5 0e1ca8fc20d1a1c0f5e0d47b58ea5c87 and burn verified.

EDIT: After restarting about 40 minutes uptime with no problem.....may have been a momentary glitch.

EDIT again: over an hour uptime with no further problems.
Last edited by James C on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#267 Post by pemasu »

but i have a problem. the lua doesn't appear in my desktop after i install that pet. how to fix that?
thanks. Very Happy

edited:
i add liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_i386.deb from this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72815
and it's fixed. really happy with this.
Yep. The pet missed couple of liblua symlinks which conky wants to be found. Fixed and reuploaded the pet.
The link to jemimah's conkyswitcher gets a error 404.
Yep. The pet has changed the name while I was sleeping. Lol.
Now I give the url link to the folder, not to the pet straight. This is for getting more conky lua themes if you extract the pet and place them to right location.
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/misc/

About drive icons shown in wrong alphabetical order. I need to figure out what script is behind it. I do not know atm. If somebody has the knowledge, please share it.
Making file system usable.........................failed" ("failed" in orange text)
It comes from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script:
STATUS=0

##############MAKE FILESYSTEM USABLE################
#echo "MAKE FILESYSTEM USABLE"
echo -n "Making the filesystem usable..." >/dev/console #making filesystem usable. need this redirection!
busybox mount -t proc none /proc ;STATUS=$((STATUS+$?))
I dont know atm why it fails. But I suppose that above mounting fails.

James C

#268 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: About drive icons shown in wrong alphabetical order. I need to figure out what script is behind it. I do not know atm. If somebody has the knowledge, please share it.
How about /sbin/probepart or /sbin/probedisk2 ?

pemasu

#269 Post by pemasu »

James C.
I do use modified /sbin/probepart and modified /usr/sbin/pmount. Other filesystem - partition - probing files are from woof.

Could you copy from other Puppy, for example Racy or Wary the /sbin/probepart file and test if it is behind the wrong alphabetical order.
I have only 7 partitions so I cant test the order. And I wont start to repartition my filesystem...I have bad experience with moving my stuff temporarily to other location. I dont want to expose myself to that again.

James C

#270 Post by James C »

Exprimo 5.X.3.2.14.1 live pfix=ram. Booted to a black screen whuch I expected so Xorgwizard made quick work of getting the correct resolution.
Sound and internet working on boot.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2853MB (181MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 15 Apr 2012 02:01:09 AM GMT-8
-Display-
Resolution : 1368x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

For what it's worth, the full install is still running ..... no more freezes.Kernel must have had a hiccup....... :lol:

James C

#271 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C.
I do use modified /sbin/probepart and modified /usr/sbin/pmount. Other filesystem - partition - probing files are from woof.

Could you copy from other Puppy, for example Racy or Wary the /sbin/probepart file and test if it is behind the wrong alphabetical order.
I have only 7 partitions so I cant test the order. And I wont start to repartition my filesystem...I have bad experience with moving my stuff temporarily to other location. I dont want to expose myself to that again.

Give me a few minutes to get back to the other computer and I'll copy the file from Wary...... I don't mess with Racy....

James C

#272 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:James C.

Success. :)

Copied /sbin/probepart from latest Wary , rebooted and.........
Attachments
Success.png
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 439 times

pemasu

#273 Post by pemasu »

Thanks. The /sbin/probepart has modifications for better dvd movie etc udf recognition in 3.2.X kernels. But it seems to mess with more than 10 partition alphabetical order. I wonder how the Saluki behaves with more than 10 partition. Is the recognition okay in Saluki-019 ?

charlie6

#274 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu !
get «Tempicon error: ...blablibla ... Removing » message at each X restart.
Do other testers also experiment this?
Are we supposed to edit initrd.gz and remove PLANG as reported in earlier posts, to get rid of that message ?
Cheers, charlie

James C

#275 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Thanks. The /sbin/probepart has modifications for better dvd movie etc udf recognition in 3.2.X kernels. But it seems to mess with more than 10 partition alphabetical order. I wonder how the Saluki behaves with more than 10 partition. Is the recognition okay in Saluki-019 ?
Nope. It's incorrect in Saluki as well but since there's no drive icons on the desktop it's not as obvious.