Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stu91

#1186 Post by stu91 »

Hi Pemasu,
Nice work on 5.x.3.4.11 - everything seems to be working ok here 8)

backi

#1187 Post by backi »

Did an update to Usb stick with old savefile ...

seems working ...

Thanks a lot !!

anikin

Can not blacklist modules

#1188 Post by anikin »

The "Click here to 'blacklist' a module" button in the boot manager doesn't work, when I press it this window comes up - see the attached picture. I have kept the old save file for this version.

pemasu

#1189 Post by pemasu »

anikin. That Xdialog failure is probably a side-effect of using old savefile. Something has changed with new woof2 provided scripts. The blacklist of module works for me when I use new savefile.
You will get rid of the problem by creating new savefile with this version or manually disabling the modules by editing the script yourself:
/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
and add the module name which you want to disable to end of the row: SKIPLIST:
SKIPLIST=' arcfb aty128fb atyfb btaudio cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb es137..........'

James C

#1190 Post by James C »

Another manual frugal install. Only minor little thing,booted to 1400x1050 display using about half of the monitor.Xorgwizard made quick work of getting the correct resolution..1440x900.... though.

# report-video
Report Video 1.4 - Thu 11 Oct 2012 on Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.11 - Linux 3.4.2-dpup i686

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (402x251 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 3374MB (198MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 11 Oct 2012 03:18:52 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 3374132 544500 2829632 0 59240
-/+ buffers: 485260 2888872
Swap: 4300796 0 4300796
#

mikeslr

Problem with SaveFile, Slow Frisbee

#1191 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu:

Since you're sort of a perfectionist, I figured you'd want to know:

My System:
rocessor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

It had a definite problem creating a SaveFile. It did not create a Savefile on first shutdown regardless of whether or not I made changes on FirstRun, or whether I chose poweroff or reboot. Rather it would go to a black screen, the give a "No Signal" report and take long time to poweroff. So I installed pupsaveconfig-2.0.1.pet and was then able to shutdown creating a SaveFile. Rebooted OK. After installing pupsaveconfig, while trying to locate it on the menus, I ran across something called "PupShutdow nmanager" on the utility submenu. Not sure what it does, and whether pupsaveconfig might have been unnecessary.
Frisbee took about 45 second to find my wireless adapter, but thereafter established strength @ 60. 45 seconds seems about twice as long as Precise &Slacko.

Although my graphics displays @ 1600x900, I'm not certain if the right driver is being used. I'm running Opera from mnt/home/ and its tab bar only clearly shows text on the tab in focus, and the unused portion of that area has many dots. I had the same problem in precise (I think) until I ran xorgwizard. I'll try that after posting.

Edit: After the above, I initiated xorgwizard. It produced a black-display followed by a report of no-signal. Ctrl-Atl-Backspace did nothing. Pressing the power button produced a bark, followed by powering off without a report regarding the SaveFile.

mikesLr

davids45

radeon driver problem on shut-down

#1192 Post by davids45 »

G'day mikeslr,

I have had the same problem with all recent exprimo Pups on my radeon graphic desktop with Frugal installs.
Its ati-radeon graphics shut down before they should (=black-screen), so you don't see the Create Save File dialog. It is there but not able to be displayed. If you could type 'blind' and enter the right info. you would get your Save file. Or try Tab then Enter to close without creating a Save-file that does prove this loss of displayed graphics is the problem.

I fix this graphics problem with the linux radeon driver (deb-versions and often Ubuntus also - but not Racy nor slackos which must have a better linux radeon driver?), by installing the ati-radeon proprietary driver immediately the Frugal is running, do the aticonfig terminal step, and then re-start X. On subsequent shut-down, "normal service" is resumed and I see the Save File messages.

Or as 'Plan B', just copy a blank Save-file to the home directory which will be used on re-booting the Frugal.

Racy and slacko avoid this problem by creating the Save file before shutting down the graphics - and I see the closing down text messages as well with these Pups, so I think it is probably a driver issue with deb/ubuntu and some ati-radeon set-ups.

Fulls don't need a save-file so running with the faulty radeon driver is tolerable (I see no shut-down text until the computer goes into reboot mode with stuff displayed about the BIOS and memory checks).

David S.

anikin

#1193 Post by anikin »

pemasu wrote: That Xdialog failure is probably a side-effect of using old savefile. '
Hi pemasu, right you are - created a new savefile and the problem is gone. Note taken - do not recycle your savefile. Always create a new one to be on the safe side. Here's one more point, I have noticed some redundancy in the control panel (PCP). Namely, the boot manager can handle both modules and services startup and yet there is a separate item 'Boot-Services Manager' right after the 'Boot Manager' in CPC. Is it really needed there, does it not add to confusion?

pemasu

#1194 Post by pemasu »

Well...there is iteration in that. Not sure if it is confusing though. Radky is the developer of PCP. I believe he follows this thread. I believe it does not hurt that there is 2 entries for same thing.....

pemasu

#1195 Post by pemasu »

davids45 and mikeslr and other ati graphics users.
It seems amd-catalyst-12.8 behaves best with my intel/ati dual graphics. I managed to compile it without hassle. And...hdmi video and audio seems to work through it outputting to my lcd tv.
So....I am confident enough to upload this compile. Run aticonfig --initial in console mode and reboot after installing this pet.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... 2-dpup.pet

I have to create bugfix release soon....due to firefox-16.0 vulnerabilities. I recommend to update it to the 16.01 due to those vulnerabilities.
http://techdows.com/2012/10/firefox-16- ... flaws.html

edoc

#1196 Post by edoc »

Will Filezilla be updated to 3.5.3 in 5x16?

It keeps nagging for the update but I don't know how important/valuable it is.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#1197 Post by pemasu »

2012-01-08 - FileZilla Client 3.5.3 released
New features:
Ctrl+Shift+O can be used to toggle between modification time and filesize based directory comparison
Bugfixes and minor changes:
It is now possible to use custom passwords if using "anonymous" as user name
After un-hiding toolbar, update toolbar button states
Fix TLS compatibility issues with TLS 1.2 servers
MSW: Unset hidden attribute on FileZilla's settings files
Building FileZilla from source now requires wxWidgets 2.8.12 or higher.
I dont see very important updates in that release announcement.

edoc

#1198 Post by edoc »

Right you are ... never thought to drill-down to see that info ... silly me.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

linuph

#1199 Post by linuph »

Testing Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.11
Compaq Presario 1712AP laptop with ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY.
Coming from5.X.3.4.10.

First reaction: problem is a double option in /etc/modprobe.d:
915.conf --> option i915=1
radeon.conf --> option radeon=1

That doesn't work on my laptop. The screen gets garbled (black lines, black input fields) and at some point everything freezes. From previous experiences, I know that radeon.conf doesn't work with my laptop.

I suppose that either option should be selected, not both. In the case of my laptop it should be:

915.conf --> option i915=1
radeon.conf --> option radeon=0

That seems controversial, but that's how it works on my laptop in any Puppy.

Could be related to problems of
davids45 and mikeslr and other ati graphics users
?
Testing continues...
Last edited by linuph on Fri 12 Oct 2012, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1200 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. Thank you of the feedback. I have had options radeon modeset=0 before. Barry Kauler changed it as default to the radeon modeset=1 when you build with woof2. I considered to change it back...but....
I didnt know if it makes any difference. Now I know. For me....it does not make any difference with my intel/ati dual graphics....when I change to the ati graphics.

linuph

#1201 Post by linuph »

See my edit...

ETP

Dpup Expimo 5.X.3.4.11

#1202 Post by ETP »

Hi pemasu,

Can you please explain the current function of the startup service
rc.windows which appears in BootManager. It is enabled by default and seems like a relic.
Attachments
image-4.png
(117.73 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#1203 Post by gcmartin »

pemasu wrote: ... I have to create bugfix release soon....[/url]
MIght this be released as a Exprimo 5X...11.1 or 5X...12 for us LIve media users?

Thanks for any consideration.

mikeslr

Ati-Radeon problems -SOLVED

#1204 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu & all,

If I recall correctly, changing modset was necessary to obtain any display at all. But I guess xvesa may have sufficiently improved to now recognize screen resuloutions of 1600x900. System-info does not indicate that I'm using an ati-radeon driver.

Installed pet a couple of posts back, rebooted and typed "aticonfig --initial" in terminal which generated the report "aticonfig: No supported adapter[s detected.

AMD catalyst control center and AMD catalyst control center (Administrator) on desktop menue did nothing.

Will await further developments.

Edit: per pm from pemasu, I installed amd_fglrx-catalyst-12.6-k3.4.2-dpup.pet from repo. Problem solved.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1205 Post by pemasu »

ETP. Not a relic. It is used with Desktop > Windows fonts app. You can enable Windows OS fonts from their location with it.
Editing the script /etc/WINDOWS, you can add or remove the symlinked fonts in use.
It is for me to use Arial font when I write with Libre Office.

I do have Win 7 still and I utilize the fonts in it without increasing the size of the base dpup build with extra fonts.

So....it is not relic. Still useful.