Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#1111 Post by edoc »

don570 wrote:A python word processor that saves its documents in HTML
Let’s welcome WriteType 1.3.163
http://writetype.bernsteinforpresident.com/
Has this been tested in Exprimo?

Is there a PET or SFS, please?

One our children may really benefit from this.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

gcmartin

#1112 Post by gcmartin »

Current Exprimo tested. Boots all the way to desktop without issues on 2 laps and 1 X2 6GB RAM. Spectacular again!

JRE, SAMBA, and muCommander all work as you designed them. Performance of Windows accessing Puppy's resources is outstanding over SAMBA.

Thanks for all you do for us.
P.S. Latest stable version of SAMBA is 3.67.

charlie6

WriteType 1.3.163

#1113 Post by charlie6 »

Hi don570
don570 wrote:A python word processor that saves its documents in HTML
Let’s welcome WriteType 1.3.163
... WriteType is now available in four new languages: Russian, Bulgarian, Italian, and Dutch.
http://writetype.bernsteinforpresident.com/
Hmmmm.....it looks lightweight (1.6MB archive) but needs Python :shock: + PyQt4 + Qt4 ...
hope it could run ootb

linuph

#1114 Post by linuph »

@Pemasu. Thanks for your reply! You are right.

Yes, it seems that I need delays here and there, not only for Bluetooth startup. There are some other, probably related, timing problems that I'm looking into. I''l come back on that later. A reason could be that I work with relatively slow USB 1.1 flash memory only, no HD.

For completeness sake: I use a Compaq Presario 1712AP laptop with Intel 1Ghz processor and 512Mb ram.

It seems I have found the reason why Bluetooth won't startup initially, that is, from a fresh, never-used- before squeezesave: there is no
'bluetoot-share directory' in /root. It is to be created and that is done in '/root/Startup/bluetooth' with the line 'mkdir /root/bluetooth-share'. That takes time and may be the reason why bluetooth won't startup. Changing the first 'sleep 1' in /root/Startup/bluetooth into 'sleep 5' seems to take car of that, initially.

At the very second boot, '/root/bluetooth-share' already exists (it is never removed) and the same line 'mkdir/root/bluetooth-share' results in a (hidden) error but takes less time, apparently, but not always.

Changing the second 'sleep 1' in '/root/Starup/bluetooth' into 'sleep 5' takes care of any second or later boots. The first 'sleep 5' then becomes irrelevant and could be reverted back to 'sleep 1' or the mkdir action could not executed at all.

Note that this is similar to my previous method by initially running /root/Startup/bluetooth twice from terminal: it could be about the initial creation of /root/bluetooth-share.

Whatever the solution (or workaround) is, I think that when the bluetooth tray icon initially shows a red "x", the user should be able to turn bluetooth on with a right-click on that icon. But it doesn't. It replies with a clickable 'Turn Bluetooth On' but you can't.

That's as far as my observations go. I understand that it may be hard or impossible to reproduce this on a relatively modern laptop, anyway, not like my rather battered, nearly 11 year old one.
Last edited by linuph on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

linuph

#1115 Post by linuph »

@billtoo ref. links-2.7-i486.pet
Nice, small footprint web browser. Thanks!

edoc

#1116 Post by edoc »

linuph wrote:@billtoo ref. links-2.7-i486.pet
Nice, small footprint web browser. Thanks!
Wazzat? Whereszat?

Inquiring minds want to know ... :-)
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#1117 Post by edoc »

sorry, dup ...
Last edited by edoc on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#1118 Post by pemasu »

edoc

#1119 Post by edoc »

Wow, completely missed that, glanced past it as merely a screenshot.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

dennis-slacko531

Can I get a written review link?

#1120 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I could just Google something, but I'd like something real and adds a firsthand narrative. I'm trying to promote a little distro hopping as healthy. Give a look please.

UPDATE: I'll use the DistroWatch written review, even though it's talking about Slacko.

pemasu

#1121 Post by pemasu »

I have been a bit silent due to heavy other activities. But...not totally unobservant.

I have compiled latest Geeqie-1.1 in dpup. Attached here. It has my previously included extra hacks included like Imgur photo uploader and edit with additions.

Also I have tested QMPlay2 which is Qt application and uses ffmpeg for backend. So...it is alternative to those mplayer frontends. It should play what my ffmpeg compile plays, audio and video. I had to edit the source code to get rid of one compile failure with libass and I also disabled pulseaudio dependency. I hope I didnt brake the app by doing those edits....lol.

It needs my opengl included qt libs, libva1 and libva-x11-1 debs.
If you install opengl included qt4 libs from PPM, install those 2 libgstreamer pets also...there is also icodecs and libglib2 dependencies suggestions....I dont know from where they come, not from me.
The name is qt_4.8.0_webkit_phonon_gstreamer_opengl

I think this ffmpeg frontend is promising and surely refreshing to have it since there are so many mplayer frontends. It has youtube search and play and it supports subtitles, probably libass also...if I didnt brake it.

charlie6

using Canon MP160 pixma scanner on dPup-Exprimo 5X3.4.2.X

#1122 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
using (...for years on various Puppies since ... puppy4.20 ) the same Canon MP160 pixma scanner ... and now on dPup-Exprimo 5X3.4.2.X:
Yessss....!! scanning using Menu/Graphic/xsane scanner works out-off-the-box !!
Xsane has interesting more functions as Multipage, Fax, Mail possibilities.

Forum member rcrsn51's (find here ...thanks ;-) ! ) specific Canon Pixma pets (as many others !) are also working nicely, especially if wanting more simple-to-use tools, and also to get smaller-sized monochromatic black-and-white scan files; xsane produces only «grey» scans which I believe to be bigger in size.

bruno

high cpu activity

#1123 Post by bruno »

I'm using Dpup exprimo on a Core i5 sandy bridge, with a nvidia gtx550ti graphics card.
I'm using nv vesa video, because Xorg cannot display the native resolution of my monitor.
I'm running puppy from CD, with save file on usb flashdrive.
When I use Dpup 5x15, after startup the system monitor in the tray shows no activity, and top view processes says user0%, sys0% and idle 99%.
That's normal, I guess.
Temperature is 30 degrees.
But when I use Dpup 3.4.2.10, then the tray system monitor shows always high activity, even when i'm doing nothing.
Top view processes says 12%user, 25% system, and 61% idle, wit no app open except top view.
Temperature 40 degrees.
What can be the reason for this?
Is this because of the different kernel?

pemasu

#1124 Post by pemasu »

Bruno. Those basal activity things are something which is difficult for me to give straight answer. Probably it is kernel difference.

About nvidia graphics. Why dont you use PPM and install nvidia graphics driver from exprimo repo. I have uploaded it to the exprimo repo.
Or compile it yourself by using getnividia pet, which automates the package creation.

don570

#1125 Post by don570 »

new version 1.4 of rightclick_split

splits up large files for data services

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80872

jpeps

#1126 Post by jpeps »

bruno

high cpu use

#1127 Post by bruno »

thanks pemasu
I installed the nvidia driver, that works great now, but it doesn't change anything about the constant use of 40% cpu.
I thought it had something to do with the driver, because on my other core i5 machine, which has no graphics card, just intel graphics, dpup exprimo 3.4.2.10 runs normal, without any mysterious cpu activity.
Oh well, I'll just use 5X15 then :-)

pemasu

#1128 Post by pemasu »

re: desktop-restore
jpeps. yeah. I have manually added that line...and in hasty...thanks for notification. But I wont use that code in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown anymore. I will use that /etc/init.d/desktop-backup script which should do the same at shutdown....withoout need for rc.shutdown edition. I can use vanilla woof2 rc.shutdown script now on.....

Bruno. There are sometimes mysterious cpu activity things. of course your activity is due to something...but if you dont find with lxtask any reason to it....then it is difficult to pinpoint. Maybe 3.6 kernel will help....when it is time to compile it...lol.

jpeps

#1129 Post by jpeps »

pemasu wrote:
re: desktop-restore
jpeps. yeah. I have manually added that line...and in hasty...thanks for notification. But I wont use that code in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown anymore. I will use that /etc/init.d/desktop-backup script which should do the same at shutdown....withoout need for rc.shutdown edition. I can use vanilla woof2 rc.shutdown script now on.....
Thanks...makes sense. I posted an update.

bruno

high cpu activity

#1130 Post by bruno »

Yes I tried lxtask too: top view processes says 61 % idle,
and lxtask says 39% cpu load, while no command seems to be active or using cpu.
Very strange.
If nobody else has this problem, it must be a strange conflict between the new kernel and the specific hardware of my machine.
When using dpup 5X15, or lupu 528.005, there is no mysterious cpu activity.