Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 05:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 73 of 89 [1330 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, ..., 87, 88, 89 Next
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 16:56    Post subject:  

Iguleder created Puppizard building environment with buildpkg -strippkg - splitpkg - optipng - advancecomp - dir2pet. It had a lot building scripts, tens of them, for core system packages also. I suppose Iguleder has improved that system for his usage ?
I have still the builder tar ball around. Attached here if someone want to look what Iguleder created about one year ago or maybe it was earlier....
builder.tar.bz2
Description 
bz2

Download 
Filename  builder.tar.bz2 
Filesize  48.6 KB 
Downloaded  135 Time(s) 
SouthPaws

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 17:51    Post subject: package issue
Subject description: aqualung

Hey, pemasu... it seems that different versions of 5.X.3.4.2.x show a different number of dependencies for aqualung.

Has anyone successfully installed aqualung in exprimo?

Ray MK

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:08    Post subject:  

double post - Amazing Puppy
Acer 243LC laptop. 384mb ram. 2.5Ghz Celeron proc. 30gb hdd. Asus 701SD. 512mb ram. 8gb SSD. IBM A21m laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. X60 T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. T41 Pentium M. 512mb ram.

Last edited by Ray MK on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:15; edited 1 time in total
Ray MK

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:13    Post subject:  

Another blindingly fast Puppy - so far all looks very good - Frugal install to sda1 on the 10yr old Acer laptop.

Many thanks for yet another superb Puppy and best regards - Ray

Acer 243LC laptop. 384mb ram. 2.5Ghz Celeron proc. 30gb hdd. Asus 701SD. 512mb ram. 8gb SSD. IBM A21m laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. X60 T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. T41 Pentium M. 512mb ram.
Tman

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:18    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
Iguleder created Puppizard building environment with buildpkg -strippkg - splitpkg - optipng - advancecomp - dir2pet. It had a lot building scripts, tens of them, for core system packages also. I suppose Iguleder has improved that system for his usage ?
I have still the builder tar ball around. Attached here if someone want to look what Iguleder created about one year ago or maybe it was earlier....

Thanks, Pemasu! I remember reading about Puppizard, but I never ended up using it. buildpkg has the code that I need.
It appears Iguleder did not use dir2pet and buildall is the script that he used to build packages in a batch.

Obviously, Iguleder's coding skills are ahead of mine.
I will spend some time on the weekend and see if I can create a template to make my scripts fully automated.
Tman

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:18    Post subject:  

I just tested Iguleder's buildpkg in action with his geany.sh script.
It's pretty sweet! He took almost everything into account.

No use letting such good code go to waste, and instead of me re-inventing the wheel, I think I am just going to modify the buildpkg system to include a few more things...mainly a suffix at the end of the pet name, eg geany-0.21-dpup or geany-0.2.1-w5 ..etc

Also, I prefer to have some extra info such as any make errrors and make-install errors sent to a temporary folder.
Terry H

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 20:02    Post subject:  

Frugal install on Dell D620 laptop with b43 wifi. All working correctly on first boot. Save file created and rebooted successfully. All working well.

Nice job!!
linuph

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 22:14    Post subject:  

There's a problem with Bluetooth at startup: the applet icon is there but with a red cross in it. I cannot turn it on by clicking it.
Bluetooth is (should be) automatically started with the /root/Startup/bluetooth script. If I click that script the bluetooth icon disappears and when clicked a second time, the bluetooth reappears and it is working.

To automatically start bluetooth, I added a workaround script in /root/Startup:

#!/bin/sh
bluetooth
bluetooth

Bluetooth is now turned on at startup and I can turn it off and on again by clicking the icon.

It goes beyond my knowledge to find out what's wrong...
pemasu

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 01:23    Post subject:  

Thank you all of the feedback.
Tman. Yep, I know that Iguleders builder package works nicely. I use it sometimes, I just check the latest version of the application and update the .sh script accordingly. I also modify the /etc/builder.profile sometimes so that tuning options are what I like. Puppizard itself does not work anymore, since the repo which it calls is not anymore.

Linuph. I will look that bluetooth autostart problem, when I have time. I have interest to get it right. I am just now hopping between Dpup Wheezy development and Dpup Exprimo. Using both. So...my bug hunting is not immediate.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 02:37    Post subject:  

Yes - there is a new implementation, which is now part of roar-ng, my distro's framework (a-la Woof).

This new implementation has some improvements, but produces packages in its own format. I wrote some script which converts them to PET (yes, with automated splitting and stuff) - that's what I used to generate the dpup64 repository so far.

Don't worry - I'll make sure I document the dpup64 effort so you can build heaps of packages in few hours, too Smile

ICQ Number 
linuph

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 09:16    Post subject:  

Thanks for your attention, Pemasu.
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 12:31    Post subject: Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8  

pemasu, Terry H, stu91, peebee and now anyone using a "preference",
This has to be my final implementation of the Broadcom logic. I am concerned that the code up until now was in modprobe configuration files and contained some duplication. I have now moved the code to the module loader for eventual integration into woof.

Although the module-reloading logic is now added to the backend_modprobe script, I also changed preference handling so that no module is blacklisted in the process of determining whether to use a preferred module. My goal is that conflicting modules (supporting the same devices) may not overlap completely, leaving the possibility that a PC might contain similar (usually wifi) devices but where only one uses the preferred module, while the other needs to "old" module.

The idea is consistent with piratesmack's concept of loading modules in order of preference, but with a twist. If a networking module gets unloaded then reloaded, any connection it might have established would be broken and not re-established. So, when a non-preferred module is chosen, a 1-second delay is inserted before continuing the loading process. This should allow another device's preferred module to get loaded, before the older one completes loading, avoiding the need for the reload process for them.

Given that delay, the reload process should occur for only those modules that are preloaded during early initialization (i.e., ssb and bcma). Those do not themselves make a network connection, but trigger loading of modules (b43, b44, brcmsmac) that do connect. We have not yet seen whether the latter would stay connected if reloaded, since that occurs only when the wl module is used instead. That test needs to be done by someone with a combination of devices, say, a wifi using wl and an ethernet using b44. Or 2 wifis, one with wl and the other with b43. We also need to know whether the problematic bcm4311 cards still automatically use b43 instead of wl.

The advantages of putting the logic in the module loader are that (1) it occurs earlier, before wl actually gets modprobed and (2) all preference-related actions are logged, eliminating guesswork as to what happened. The log file is:
/tmp/pup_event_backend/preferences.log
Please post the content of that file in any report about this. The file is now included in the pmodemdiag version included in the package.

As you can infer from the package name, my intent is to contribute it to woof once our experimentation with it completes. The two goals, now, are to verify both/all preference-related devices function and that preferences related to networking work as well as before. And we may find some PCs with similar devices that may now both operate.

Enough explanation. Please try this by installing it and rebooting. (For other distros that do not have wl, peebee's multi-kernel broadcom package should be installed before this experiment package.) Please post the content of the /tmp...preferences.log file. Thank you, all.
Richard
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3b-broadcom_experiment-8.pet
Description  backend_modprobe with Broadcom logic
plus shrunken/fewer modprobe-configuration files.
NOT to be merged into the wl-driver multi-kernel package.
pet

Download 
Filename  rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3b-broadcom_experiment-8.pet 
Filesize  18.76 KB 
Downloaded  161 Time(s) 
Tman

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 13:05    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Yes - there is a new implementation, which is now part of roar-ng, my distro's framework (a-la Woof).

This new implementation has some improvements, but produces packages in its own format. I wrote some script which converts them to PET (yes, with automated splitting and stuff) - that's what I used to generate the dpup64 repository so far.

Don't worry - I'll make sure I document the dpup64 effort so you can build heaps of packages in few hours, too Smile

Thanks, Iguleder! Buildpkg was/is a great piece of work, but it didn't seem to catch the interest of very many members of this forum. I will see if I can help change that, so that even newbies can compile their own apps, when they are not readily availiable for their particular version of Puppy. What do you think about creating a front-end GUI for buildpkg?
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 15:33    Post subject: Re: Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8  

rerwin wrote:
pemasu, Terry H, stu91, peebee and now anyone using a "preference",............Please try this by installing it and rebooting. Thank you, all.
Richard

Hi Richard

All seems AOK here with my HP550 with relatively well behaved B43 wifi - have sent you pmodemdiags by pm.

Cheers
Peter

Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 16:44    Post subject: Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 with 3.4.2 kernel.  

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.4.10 on Tue 28 Aug 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
oem: SiS
product: 6325 1.05.00

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: sis

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

Computer
Processor mobile AMD Duron(tm)
Memory 708MB (100MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 28 Aug 2012 04:13:12 PM EDT
Processor
Name mobile AMD Duron(tm)
Family, model, stepping 6, 7, 0 (AMD Duron (Morgan))
Vendor AuthenticAMD
Configuration
Cache Size 64kb
Frequency 850.04MHz
BogoMIPS 1700.92
Byte Order Little Endian

It's working pretty well, I made a pet of links web browser, it runs a
little faster than firefox on this pc Smile
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   50.88 KB
 Viewed   893 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

links-2.7-i486.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  links-2.7-i486.pet 
Filesize  1.77 MB 
Downloaded  166 Time(s) 
Page 73 of 89 [1330 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, ..., 87, 88, 89 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: