Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#1081 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 has been uploaded.
Looking good here.........

edoc

#1082 Post by edoc »

I remain confused by the numbering ... :oops:

How does 5.X.3.4.10 compare to 5x15?

Different apps?

Different CPU architecture? (64 vs 32)

Different base? (Squeeze, Wheezy, Racy)

Other?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

James C

#1083 Post by James C »

edoc wrote:I remain confused by the numbering ... :oops:

How does 5.X.3.4.10 compare to 5x15?

Different apps?

Different CPU architecture? (64 vs 32)

Different base? (Squeeze, Wheezy, Racy)

Other?

Thanks!
Not pemasu but.......

Different kernel....5.X.15 has k-2.6.39 while 5.X.3.4.10 has k-3.4.2, and built from a little newer Woof.
Appears to be some updated apps too but both are still based on Squeeze.

edoc

#1084 Post by edoc »

Thanks!

So an updated kernel with updated apps to match?

Should work on the same computers as 5x14 and 5x15?

Or are there some gotcha's?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

charlie6

nouveau.ko driver

#1085 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
in 5X3.4.2.9...
i did not find nouveau.ko driver under /lib/modules/...3.4.2-dpup//drivers/../gpu/drm/. whereas it is present in wheezy 3.5.2...
I would like to got a try with nouveau driver here on pc fatured with old nvidia card under 3.4.2 kernel...would be nice to get it compiled for 3.4.2 somewhere.
Thanks anyway, charlie
ps: thanks for this new 5X3.4.2.10 !
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.

dennis-slacko531

Exprimo is a damn good Puppy

#1086 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Pemasu I just wanted to thank you sincerely for the months of quality hours I've been educated & entertained with Exprimo.

I didn't even unlock the Enlightenment until yesterday! I'm trying your x.10 tomorrow when I'm more rested...

pemasu

#1087 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. No nouveau with squeeze. It just does not work. I have tested and I got several reports of not working. I did explicitly remove all the traces of nouveau from dpup exprimo (debian squeeze based)
I am sorry. Some xorg wizard would be needed...and I believe nobody is very willing to take the challenge.
We just have to live with what we have....lol.

linuph

#1088 Post by linuph »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 --> should be Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.10?

Working right out of the box (where I had problems in .9):
Frisbee wireless
Mplayer

Unrelated problems with wallpaper and (drive-) icons loading are gone too.

I use Bluetooth a lot (mouse, keyboard, headset) and install Bluetooth-0.5.pet to get it running. Question: is it correct what I do and if so, is there a reason not to include Bluetooth functionality?

Great distro! Thansk, Pemasu.

pemasu

#1089 Post by pemasu »

I just shortened the name a little. I suppose most users think that too many version numbers is difficult to remember.

About bluetooth. Well...the main reason is the size. I have basic support through bluez. I just have thought that bluetooth users is minority and having the support easily in the repo is enough.

Thank of the report linuph. Good to hear that this bug fix release behaves.

Tman

#1090 Post by Tman »

Iguleder wrote:Time for a small update - I PM'ed pemasu about this already.

I'm currently building an extremely minimal , 64-bit Wheezy dpup (which even lacks X) - I'm going to utilize all the build scripts I have to build as many packages as I can. The list includes pretty much everything needed to achieve a bootable Puppy - there's only one way to prove this :lol:

The result should be some extremely barebones, console-only Puppy. Sounds fun, doens't it? :wink:
Using scripts to build packages is a great idea, and I've decided to begin creating a repository for build-scripts.
For those interested, please see the following thread...http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80584

Iguleder, do your scripts include the creation of a pet.specs file? If they do, I would be interested to know how you managed to do it without using dir2pet.

pemasu

#1091 Post by pemasu »

Iguleder created Puppizard building environment with buildpkg -strippkg - splitpkg - optipng - advancecomp - dir2pet. It had a lot building scripts, tens of them, for core system packages also. I suppose Iguleder has improved that system for his usage ?
I have still the builder tar ball around. Attached here if someone want to look what Iguleder created about one year ago or maybe it was earlier....
Attachments
builder.tar.bz2
(48.6 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

SouthPaws

package issue

#1092 Post by SouthPaws »

Hey, pemasu... it seems that different versions of 5.X.3.4.2.x show a different number of dependencies for aqualung.

Has anyone successfully installed aqualung in exprimo?
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

Ray MK

#1093 Post by Ray MK »

double post - Amazing Puppy
Last edited by Ray MK on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Ray MK

#1094 Post by Ray MK »

Another blindingly fast Puppy - so far all looks very good - Frugal install to sda1 on the 10yr old Acer laptop.

Many thanks for yet another superb Puppy and best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Tman

#1095 Post by Tman »

pemasu wrote:Iguleder created Puppizard building environment with buildpkg -strippkg - splitpkg - optipng - advancecomp - dir2pet. It had a lot building scripts, tens of them, for core system packages also. I suppose Iguleder has improved that system for his usage ?
I have still the builder tar ball around. Attached here if someone want to look what Iguleder created about one year ago or maybe it was earlier....
Thanks, Pemasu! I remember reading about Puppizard, but I never ended up using it. buildpkg has the code that I need.
It appears Iguleder did not use dir2pet and buildall is the script that he used to build packages in a batch.

Obviously, Iguleder's coding skills are ahead of mine.
I will spend some time on the weekend and see if I can create a template to make my scripts fully automated.

Tman

#1096 Post by Tman »

I just tested Iguleder's buildpkg in action with his geany.sh script.
It's pretty sweet! He took almost everything into account.

No use letting such good code go to waste, and instead of me re-inventing the wheel, I think I am just going to modify the buildpkg system to include a few more things...mainly a suffix at the end of the pet name, eg geany-0.21-dpup or geany-0.2.1-w5 ..etc

Also, I prefer to have some extra info such as any make errrors and make-install errors sent to a temporary folder.

Terry H

#1097 Post by Terry H »

Frugal install on Dell D620 laptop with b43 wifi. All working correctly on first boot. Save file created and rebooted successfully. All working well.

Nice job!!

linuph

#1098 Post by linuph »

There's a problem with Bluetooth at startup: the applet icon is there but with a red cross in it. I cannot turn it on by clicking it.
Bluetooth is (should be) automatically started with the /root/Startup/bluetooth script. If I click that script the bluetooth icon disappears and when clicked a second time, the bluetooth reappears and it is working.

To automatically start bluetooth, I added a workaround script in /root/Startup:

#!/bin/sh
bluetooth
bluetooth

Bluetooth is now turned on at startup and I can turn it off and on again by clicking the icon.

It goes beyond my knowledge to find out what's wrong...

pemasu

#1099 Post by pemasu »

Thank you all of the feedback.
Tman. Yep, I know that Iguleders builder package works nicely. I use it sometimes, I just check the latest version of the application and update the .sh script accordingly. I also modify the /etc/builder.profile sometimes so that tuning options are what I like. Puppizard itself does not work anymore, since the repo which it calls is not anymore.

Linuph. I will look that bluetooth autostart problem, when I have time. I have interest to get it right. I am just now hopping between Dpup Wheezy development and Dpup Exprimo. Using both. So...my bug hunting is not immediate.

Iguleder

#1100 Post by Iguleder »

Yes - there is a new implementation, which is now part of roar-ng, my distro's framework (a-la Woof).

This new implementation has some improvements, but produces packages in its own format. I wrote some script which converts them to PET (yes, with automated splitting and stuff) - that's what I used to generate the dpup64 repository so far.

Don't worry - I'll make sure I document the dpup64 effort so you can build heaps of packages in few hours, too :)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]