Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
linuph

#1066 Post by linuph »

I guess I've been a bit of help then...in spite of being some 15,000km and 8 hours apart... Wondrous, sort of.

ssanubis

#1067 Post by ssanubis »

Well, I tried that pup with no luck. I decompressed the pup and checked the script to see if it had worked as intended. I found that it was trying to move a folder to a subfolder of itself which throws an error. I have changed the script to fix that issue. Now that I have the files in the correct location I have another related issue to iron out. The iwlwifi module is not in the list of modules in the network configuration wizard. As such I cannot select the module and test if this fix works correctly. How should I proceed? I have attached the patched pup for you.
Attachments
iwlwifi-fix.0.0.2.pet
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times

pemasu

#1068 Post by pemasu »

Thanks for fixing the moving part. I thought that it worked straight. Anyway. Try module loading in console.
First for sure unload possibly loaded module. In console:
rmmod iwlwif
modprobe iwlwifi

And then check in console:
dmesg
....to see what happened. If it is not loaded correctly post again the output:
dmesg > dmesg.gz

ssanubis

#1069 Post by ssanubis »

Reran rmmod and modprobe and according to dmesg iwlwifi cannot find the firmware file "iwlwifi-100-5.ucode" which is one of the files we moved in the previous step. Here on 3.1.10.3 there is an identical file structure for the iwlwifi and when I run dmesg i get no errors reported in association with iwlagn. Here is the dmesg from 3.4.2.9
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(46.13 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

pemasu

#1070 Post by pemasu »

Now I am starting to be clueless. If you have the same folder structure in /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi as in 3.1.10 dpup....everything should be allright. Have you remembered to try to reboot. it is possible that it is needed sometimes. Also you could copy the right firmware from 3.1.10.
Next thing is to place the firmwares straight to the /lib/firmware folder...or at least the asked iwlwifi-100-5.ucode.
Other than those procedures...I am starting to be clueless.

ssanubis

#1071 Post by ssanubis »

Yes, I have rebooted after moving the files, then after rmmod + mod probe. I did also already try moving the files contained in the firmware folder up to the lib folder one branch up and even in the iwlwifi the branch above that. Each time I did so I rebooted then tried the rmmod + modprobe. All with the same result. I guess I could have posted those steps but to be honest I didn't expect they would be brought up, I just did it 'cause I am a bit OCD and figured it wouldn't hurt to try, lol. I would point out once again the major difference between 3.1.10.3 and 3.4.2 is that there is a module named iwlagn in 3.1.10.3 which is not present in 3.4.2. 3.1.10.3 does have the iwlwifi folder structure(/lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware/), though, and I assume iwlagn uses it the way we are trying to get 3.4.2 to using iwlwifi. Or is there some step I may be missing. I checked the list of loadable modules for network in 3.1.10.3 through the puppy network wizard like I normally would and it does not list iwlwifi, but instead lists iwlagn which i what I use on that build. When I switch to 3.4.2 I have neither iwlagn nor iwlwifi listed as available. Is 3.4.2 supposed to have a separate module loaded that I am missing? I wish I knew more about these modules and what resources there are to verify the firmware files are in the correct, expected location.

BIG EDIT!
I have found and fixed the problem! I was looking around 3.1.10.3 for differences in filestructure and found ALOT of files in /lib/firmware that are NOT in 3.4.2. I copied the contents of /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware to /lib/firmware, reran rmmod and modprobe presto I have network connectivity for the first time in 3.4.2! I have made changes to the pup to account for this change so people will be able to use the pup to fix the issue until you get the chance to remake this build.
Attachments
iwlwifi-fix.0.0.3.pet
(526 Bytes) Downloaded 318 times

charlie6

gxine: cannot get it to run

#1072 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
on 5X3.4.2.9 (as also on 5X15): gxine: cannot get it to run ...
installed from dpup-exprimo-pets repo:
xine-lib-1.2.2.pet
gxine-0.5.907.pet
gxine_NLS-0.5.907.pet
installed from debian packages repo (missing <== ldd /usr/bin/gxine )
libmozjs2d_1.9.1.16-17_i386.deb
libnspr4-0d_4.8.6-1_i386.deb needed for libmozjs2d

and get this message when running from console:
# gxine
Illegal instruction
#
I thought gxine was running quite OOTB on exprimo (on an earlier version of 5X3.4.2.x...?)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=502
thanks for any help
Charlie

Pelo

Abiword

#1073 Post by Pelo »

ABIWORD plante / Abiword shuts down (under E17)
Bonjour. Je ne suis rien sans ABIWORD
ABIWORD does not work. Even from your repository. It's a strong damage !
Why ? How an I do ? Merci.

Pelo

iwlwifi iwlagn connect to wireless impossible

#1074 Post by Pelo »

Pas bien pas bien not good ! This distro is very attractive. I use it with eth0 cabled connect. It would be fine if wireless should be working. OK with Slacko, OK with Racy, why not with Dpup exprimo ?

charlie6

Re: Abiword

#1075 Post by charlie6 »

Pelo wrote:ABIWORD plante / Abiword shuts down (under E17)
Bonjour. Je ne suis rien sans ABIWORD
ABIWORD does not work. Even from your repository. It's a strong damage !
Why ? How an I do ? Merci.
ici avoir installé abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-dpup.sfs
çà plante pas sous jwm - çà plante pas sous e17 ...so what's no good?
ps: if you need a more reliable textprocessor, you might try softmaker (dowload it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -2-x86.pet
+ the locale for french
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... -2-x86.pet

pemasu

#1076 Post by pemasu »

Sorry for not replying earlier. I was out of town. My old friend had public defence of a doctoral thesis yesterday. I had to travel far away. And the official party lasted long. I drived back during the late night. Now reading throuh posts.

I will check the apps which does not seem to work.

And I will create updated dpup...quite soon. First I need to finish this alpha build of dpup wheezy. I have stuff in the ram and I cant reboot before this is done. Sorry.

Iguleder

#1077 Post by Iguleder »

Time for a small update - I PM'ed pemasu about this already.

I'm currently building an extremely minimal , 64-bit Wheezy dpup (which even lacks X) - I'm going to utilize all the build scripts I have to build as many packages as I can. The list includes pretty much everything needed to achieve a bootable Puppy - there's only one way to prove this :lol:

The result should be some extremely barebones, console-only Puppy. Sounds fun, doens't it? :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#1078 Post by pemasu »

Having someone like Iguleder interested in Wheezy build really makes my day. It feels as good as refreshing night sleep, good breakfast and sunny, windless day watching the still lake. Really great news.
Thank you Iguleder of doing your work with wheezy. It benefits us all.

Iguleder

#1079 Post by Iguleder »

Started the compilation procedure already - the time difference between my previous reply and this one is amazing, got things to work pretty quickly :lol:

I'm going to start with the packages from my distro (heaps of cool console applications) and continue with Puppy's core packages (e.g mingetty and gtkdialog).

The first package (advancecomp) is already compiling 8)

EDIT: looks great! Got the following packages:advancecomp, aspell, aspell6-en, bash, busybox, dash, gpm, mktemp, optipng, syslinux and bitlbee. For some unknown reason, they're considerably smaller than those I built using a very similar distro built from Slackware 14.0 packages (which has the same GCC version).

EDIT 2: more packages: aria2, dropbear, irssi, lftp, links, re-alpine, unnethack, terminus-font, vim, libsigc++ and libtorrent. rtorrent will follow :wink:

EDIT 3: this is totally insane, so many packages! I'm uploading everything here. Don't forget - these are x86_64 dpup (oh yeah!) packages, so they won't work on any existing Puppy. I'll try to build a Puppy from these once I find the time.

EDIT 4: built 126 PET packages in about 6 hours. Totally automated. Two packages failed to build: snownews (because of some zlib incompatibility, still investigating) and movgrab (because Debian no longer supports SSLv2 in OpenSSL).
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pemasu

#1080 Post by pemasu »

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 has been uploaded. It is almost entirely bug fix release. I have fixed the mistakenly wrongly created firmware folders. Couple of apps have been updated. No new applications.

I used latest woof version, so some puppy system fixes have been implemented with this update.

So...this update is for those wireless users who need appropriate firmware to be loaded also. And have been unlucky with previous dpup exprimo.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3410/

James C

#1081 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 has been uploaded.
Looking good here.........

edoc

#1082 Post by edoc »

I remain confused by the numbering ... :oops:

How does 5.X.3.4.10 compare to 5x15?

Different apps?

Different CPU architecture? (64 vs 32)

Different base? (Squeeze, Wheezy, Racy)

Other?

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

James C

#1083 Post by James C »

edoc wrote:I remain confused by the numbering ... :oops:

How does 5.X.3.4.10 compare to 5x15?

Different apps?

Different CPU architecture? (64 vs 32)

Different base? (Squeeze, Wheezy, Racy)

Other?

Thanks!
Not pemasu but.......

Different kernel....5.X.15 has k-2.6.39 while 5.X.3.4.10 has k-3.4.2, and built from a little newer Woof.
Appears to be some updated apps too but both are still based on Squeeze.

edoc

#1084 Post by edoc »

Thanks!

So an updated kernel with updated apps to match?

Should work on the same computers as 5x14 and 5x15?

Or are there some gotcha's?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

charlie6

nouveau.ko driver

#1085 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
in 5X3.4.2.9...
i did not find nouveau.ko driver under /lib/modules/...3.4.2-dpup//drivers/../gpu/drm/. whereas it is present in wheezy 3.5.2...
I would like to got a try with nouveau driver here on pc fatured with old nvidia card under 3.4.2 kernel...would be nice to get it compiled for 3.4.2 somewhere.
Thanks anyway, charlie
ps: thanks for this new 5X3.4.2.10 !
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 27 Aug 2012, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.