Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpeps

#1051 Post by jpeps »

...hassle; compile problems for libmtp with missing PTPParam members and undeclared inconv_t variable.

edit. I'll try the one in the PM.. There's also an mtp-tools in debian, along with deps like libmtp9. When I have some time, maybe I'll hunt for the winning combo.

jpeps

#1052 Post by jpeps »

Okay..this worked:

From PPM:

mtpfs_0.9
mtp-tools_1.0.3-1+squeeze1
libmtp8_1.0.3-1+squeeze1

Add line to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0666", OWNER="your-username-in-the-linux"

mkdir /root/Nexus7
chmod a+rwx /root/Nexus7

* Plug in your Nexus 7, then:

mtpfs -o allow_other /root/Nexus7

Files are shown in the /root/Nexus7 directory

* Now You can browse your Android phone contents or add/remove

To unmount:
umount /root/Nexus7

pemasu

#1053 Post by pemasu »

Thanks jpeps. I will save your post for future reference. Thanks.

By the way....my wheezy experiment...with pre...pre...pre...alpha is going fine. Some problems with gcc stuff though. And a lot missing core packages....which I hunt...and I have started to compile my own needed pets.
Ffmpeg, mplayer, gnome-mplayer have been compiled. To get rid of libpulse dependencies. Also latest dhcpcd. Next will be some other stuff. But I wont update the whole application league...only those which are dependent of gtk-3.0 so that I can include them with gtk-2.0 puppy. But the 3.5.2 kernel compiled fine. Posting from Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2 using firefox. Next I start my evening project with compiling and debugging missing packages. X, jwm, net, works.
Main problem is to get udev working correctly so that devices are autoloaded. That is still buggy.

Experience with Precise Puppy and Upup Precise have helped a lot. The package structure, need for schemas support and fixes for them are all the same. Wheezy is basically Ubuntu Quantal version what comes to library version numbers...it seems. I have even used some Quantal packages for quick fix before I found the real Wheezy ones...lol. Wheezy package database still changes, that is the reason for difficulties sometimes.

charlie6

failed to build of 96.43.20 nvidia driiver on 5X.3.4.2.9

#1054 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
failed to build of 96.43.20 nvidia driiver on 5X.3.4.2.9; using the sh-installer method given on www.nvidia.com;
Now trying to get the 96.43.20 nvidia driiver built here on my Compag Evo with Nvidia GeForce2 MX200:
on a fresh squeezesave 512MB size
+ devx_squeeze_5.X.3.4.2.9.sfs (1)
+ kernel_sources-3.4.2-dpup.sfs (2)
+ linux_kernel-3.4.2-dpup.pet (3)
md5sums checked OK;

I got the attached nvidia-installer.log report which tells something about the kernel ...could be kernel version...? (above my knowlledges ...!);
first attempt after (1) and (2) installed;
second attempt after added (3);

All went well using the same method on Dpup-Exprimo 5X15.
Maybe the nvidia archive is not yet compatible with kernel 3.4.2 (cannot check this)?
Any advice would be welcome !
cheers, charlie
Attachments
nvidia-installer.txt.tar.gz
drop the tar.gz extension to get the txt file
(4.19 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

pemasu

#1055 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. Post the content of debug file:
Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.

And no...dont install the kernel pet. It is for woof or for kernel switching only. Not for compiling the kernel modules.

charlie6

#1056 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
pemasu wrote:Charlie6. Post the content of debug file:
Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.
i'm sorry ...but kernel matter is outside my knowledge... do you want me whether, to upload the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log file? if yes, it is the already attached file to my post renamed with «.txt.tar.gz» instead of «.log»; or to read into that file...?
pemasu wrote:And no...dont install the kernel pet. It is for woof or for kernel switching only. Not for compiling the kernel modules.
Please tell me if I've good understood: i should not have installed (1), (2) and (3). So I could build the nvidia driver without installing (1), (2) and (3).
I did so because i could get the nvidia-driver that same way on Dpup-Exprimo 5X15 ( installed : (1) + (2) relevant for k 2.6.39.4).

pemasu

#1057 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. Sorry I read your attached file content too quickly. You had attached right file. It looks like that the 96.43.20 nvidia driver package is not compatible with 3.X kernels. It does not show spesific error...just shows that it does not find the needed kernel source, so I am guessing because it refers to 2.4 and 2.6 kernel versions.

Generally, when you compile drivers...which have kernel module drivers included....you need devx sfs and kernel source sfs.

Unfortunately that older nvidia driver package is not compatible. It might be that there is workaround in the net if you are stubborn enough and find guide how to patch the package content. I am not aware of them though. I dont have nvidia graphics so...I cant test much with nvidia.

SouthPaws

sfs request

#1058 Post by SouthPaws »

Hey pemasu, would you consider this request for a 'morituri' sfs?

It's in the debian repo... but has a number of dependencies...

Here's a link... I hope it's helpful.
http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/tr ... /WikiStart
[url]http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm[/url]

ssanubis

#1059 Post by ssanubis »

Just wanted to let you know, testing on a Samsung 300v (series 3 laptop) with, per lspci,

Code: Select all

01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation WiFi 100 Series [8086:08ae]
This wireless device does not have the necessary module to detect a wireless interface in this version of Exprimo. I am posting from Exprimo 3.1.1.0.3 which has the module needed. The module is iwlagn. Not sure how helpful that is to you.

pemasu

#1060 Post by pemasu »

There isnt iwlagn anymore. It is iwlwifi now. You should run in console: dmesg > dmesg.gz
Post the created fiel as attachment here. I believe some needed firmware could be missing.

charlie6

nvidia 96.43.xx driver for GeForce2 MX200 for k3.4.2

#1061 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
pemasu wrote:Charlie6. ...It looks like that the 96.43.20 nvidia driver package is not compatible with 3.X kernels...
Unfortunately that older nvidia driver package is not compatible. .
thnks for your reply....
I then browsed the nvidia forum ans found this post written by 16 augustus 2012 ( i surely ought to browse there first ... :oops: ):
Nvidia Linux forum member wrote:Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers don’t work in Ubuntu 12.04
I emailed support about a week ago and they replied very quickly that they have no intentions to update the 96xx driver. We are just out of luck.
so no hope - i will use this pc with 5X15
see results here :D ==> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=2129
Cheers, Charlie

ssanubis

#1062 Post by ssanubis »

Here's my dmesg output. If there is anything else I can do let me know, I have plenty of time on my hands at the moment, lol.
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(44.43 KiB) Downloaded 364 times

pemasu

#1063 Post by pemasu »

ssanubis. It seems I have screwed the folder structure of the firmwares when I meddled with changing their location. I seem to have lost my mind.
Okay...I need to create new build of dpup exprimo with 3.4.2 kernel.
But...here is quick fix. The firmwares are all there. They just need folder reconstruction.
Install this pet. It has only the pinstall.sh script inside which runs the needed commands to move the firmwares to the right location.
Thank you of the feedback. It was valuable information. I wonder how many has had problems with firmwares, but havent posted about the problems.
Attachments
iwlwifi-fix.0.0.1.pet
(382 Bytes) Downloaded 396 times

linuph

#1064 Post by linuph »

@pemasu
I earlier reported that Frisbee wlan was working in the latest Exprimo. Because of some other unrelated problems I deleted the squeezesave file and started all over. To my surprise, Frisbee wlan did not work, again.

I use a USB WiFi dongle with Ralink rt5370sta chip/driver. Having similar experiences with other Puppies I downloaded and installed tempestuous' rt5370 pet from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15.

Now it works and even better than before since it now finds other WiFi stations in my neighborhood too.

Just to let you know.
Last edited by linuph on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#1065 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. Yes. That goes to the same firmware folder stucture misconfiguration. That pet has the right firmware and folder structure included. So your wireless finds the right driver (dpup one) and the right firmware (from the pet). Now it is clear to me. It is just...that when you copy firmware folder with different folder structure need from one place to the other place and then again back...the right folder structure just didnt came clearly to mind at the time. Now...I see my mistake clearly.
I will create new build quite soon. I will use latest woof though and update some apps also.

linuph

#1066 Post by linuph »

I guess I've been a bit of help then...in spite of being some 15,000km and 8 hours apart... Wondrous, sort of.

ssanubis

#1067 Post by ssanubis »

Well, I tried that pup with no luck. I decompressed the pup and checked the script to see if it had worked as intended. I found that it was trying to move a folder to a subfolder of itself which throws an error. I have changed the script to fix that issue. Now that I have the files in the correct location I have another related issue to iron out. The iwlwifi module is not in the list of modules in the network configuration wizard. As such I cannot select the module and test if this fix works correctly. How should I proceed? I have attached the patched pup for you.
Attachments
iwlwifi-fix.0.0.2.pet
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 324 times

pemasu

#1068 Post by pemasu »

Thanks for fixing the moving part. I thought that it worked straight. Anyway. Try module loading in console.
First for sure unload possibly loaded module. In console:
rmmod iwlwif
modprobe iwlwifi

And then check in console:
dmesg
....to see what happened. If it is not loaded correctly post again the output:
dmesg > dmesg.gz

ssanubis

#1069 Post by ssanubis »

Reran rmmod and modprobe and according to dmesg iwlwifi cannot find the firmware file "iwlwifi-100-5.ucode" which is one of the files we moved in the previous step. Here on 3.1.10.3 there is an identical file structure for the iwlwifi and when I run dmesg i get no errors reported in association with iwlagn. Here is the dmesg from 3.4.2.9
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(46.13 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

pemasu

#1070 Post by pemasu »

Now I am starting to be clueless. If you have the same folder structure in /lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi as in 3.1.10 dpup....everything should be allright. Have you remembered to try to reboot. it is possible that it is needed sometimes. Also you could copy the right firmware from 3.1.10.
Next thing is to place the firmwares straight to the /lib/firmware folder...or at least the asked iwlwifi-100-5.ucode.
Other than those procedures...I am starting to be clueless.