Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)

Please post any bugs you have found
vicmz

#91 Post by vicmz »

Actually I don't understand anything about programming, and (just in case) I wasn't being critical either, I just told about my experience using MoManager. I should've guessed those .in extensions served for a particular purpose :lol:

By the way, these mini-translations are too long for your blog comment form, so I put them here and commented the post link in the blog post:

Portuguese:

Code: Select all

AVAILMSG="Há um pacote \Zb${AVAILPACK}\ZB apropriado no respositório de PETs \Zbnoarch\ZB, na categoria \ZbConfiguração\ZB. Após ter uma conexão a Internet, clique o ícone \Zbinstalar\ZB da

OscarTalks

Multiple Sound Cards

#92 Post by OscarTalks »

This may be something that is not unique to Racy (though it is happening for me on 5.2.2.9 right now) but perhaps someone can shed some light.

I like to run 2 sound cards in my computers so I can route audio from different applications to different places.

So I have "Soundcard A" (which is integrated on the motherboard) and "Soundcard B" (which is a PCI card).

My problem is that the process of establishing the default soundcard appears to be random.

At first I thought that the Multiple Sound Card Wizard just wasn't working, but I see that there is a file at /etc/asound.conf which appears to define the default soundcard.

But it only specifies a card and device NUMBER eg:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0

Am I looking at the correct file for this?
Note that the cards are not named.

The big problem arises from the fact that at each boot-up the process of allocating the card numbers seems totally random. Sometimes Soundcard A will be given the number 0 and Soundcard B will be given the number 1 and on another boot-up they can be allocated the other way round.

Would it be possible to have the file set the default card by specifying it by name?

Alternatively (and probably the ideal solution), is there a way to ensure that the allocation of number to name remains the same at every boot-up?

UPDATE - Think I may have solved it. Running the ALSA Wizard (despite my reluctance because of the scary dialog that pops up) seems to have enabled me to lock down the allocation of "Card 0" to the integrated soundcard on the motherboard.

I see that lines have been added to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf thus:-

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.21 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The other soundcard does disappear from the options displayed in Multiple Sound Card Wizard when you do this, so I was worried that I may have lost my internal connection to it, but on re-boot they were both there again and on a couple of re-boots the order was staying the same.
I then had to use Multiple Sound Card Wizard (again) to change the default back from "Card 1" to "Card 0". This creates a new file at /etc/asound.conf leaving the previous one there with the suffix "old".

Billtoo

Wary/Racy 5.3beta3 (5.2.2.9)

#93 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install of 5.2.2.9 to a 4gb flash drive.
I found some wallpaper that suits racy I think :)
No problems so far, working well.
Attachments
racywall.jpg
(33.25 KiB) Downloaded 1602 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Multiple Sound Cards

#94 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:This may be something that is not unique to Racy (though it is happening for me on 5.2.2.9 right now) but perhaps someone can shed some light.

I like to run 2 sound cards in my computers so I can route audio from different applications to different places.

So I have "Soundcard A" (which is integrated on the motherboard) and "Soundcard B" (which is a PCI card).

My problem is that the process of establishing the default soundcard appears to be random.

At first I thought that the Multiple Sound Card Wizard just wasn't working, but I see that there is a file at /etc/asound.conf which appears to define the default soundcard.

But it only specifies a card and device NUMBER eg:

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0

Am I looking at the correct file for this?
Note that the cards are not named.

The big problem arises from the fact that at each boot-up the process of allocating the card numbers seems totally random. Sometimes Soundcard A will be given the number 0 and Soundcard B will be given the number 1 and on another boot-up they can be allocated the other way round.

Would it be possible to have the file set the default card by specifying it by name?

Alternatively (and probably the ideal solution), is there a way to ensure that the allocation of number to name remains the same at every boot-up?

UPDATE - Think I may have solved it. Running the ALSA Wizard (despite my reluctance because of the scary dialog that pops up) seems to have enabled me to lock down the allocation of "Card 0" to the integrated soundcard on the motherboard.

I see that lines have been added to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf thus:-

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.21 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The other soundcard does disappear from the options displayed in Multiple Sound Card Wizard when you do this, so I was worried that I may have lost my internal connection to it, but on re-boot they were both there again and on a couple of re-boots the order was staying the same.
I then had to use Multiple Sound Card Wizard (again) to change the default back from "Card 1" to "Card 0". This creates a new file at /etc/asound.conf leaving the previous one there with the suffix "old".
Yes, that does seem a bit roundabout to fix your problem, but I don't really know any simple fix, other than perhaps adding some documentation.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

antiloquax

#95 Post by antiloquax »

Last edited by antiloquax on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#96 Post by Karl Godt »

Yes, that does seem a bit roundabout to fix your problem, but I don't really know any simple fix, other than perhaps adding some documentation.
My one "onboard's soundcards" use mostly two drivers , especially the snd-intel8x0 + snd-mpu401 or snd-wavefront , sometimes three and there are snd-pcsp and pcspkr kernel modules possible to enable .

This random detection of the modaliases in rc.sysinit probably could get sorted by sort command .

But my experience is that the many triggerings to modprobe drivers queue up before the CPU and get processed by the CPU in a unordered mode even filtering with the sort binary . I observed this especially with one core intel cpus .

a wait function for pup_event_backend_modprobe would look something like

ALSACONFFILES="/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf"
snd_order_func(){
if [ "`echo "$MODULE" |grep -E '^snd'`" ] ;then
listed_soundcards=`grep -e '^alias snd\-card\-[0-9]*' $ALSACONFFILES | awk '{print $2" "$3}' |sort -u`
[ "$listed_soundcards" ] || return 0
snd_card_nrs=`echo "$listed_soundcards" |awk '{print $1}' |cut -f3 -d'-'`
current_nr=`echo "$listed_soundcards" | grep "${MODULE//_/-}" |awk '{print $1}' |cut -f3 -d'-'`
already_loaded=`lsmod |grep '^snd_' |awk '{print $1}'`

for n in $snd_card_nrs;do
soundcard=`echo "$listed_soundcards" | grep -o "\-$n .*" |awk '{print $2}' |head -n 1`
if [ "${soundcard//-/_}" = "$MODULE" -a "$n" = '0' ];then return 0;fi #first module
c=$((n-1));h=$((h+1))
for zzz in `seq 1 1 $n`;do
temp_soundcard=`echo "$listed_soundcards" | grep -o "\-$zzz .*" |awk '{print $2}' |head -n 1`
until [ "`lsmod | grep "${temp_soundcard//-/_}"`" ];do sleep 1s;done
pattern=`echo "$listed_soundcards" |head -n $h`
included=`echo "$pattern" | grep "${MODULE//_/-}"`
[ "$included" ] && return
done
done
fi
}

Another idea would be a bootparameter pfix=nosound
with code for rc.sysinit like

pfix=`cat /proc/cmdline |grep -o 'pfix=.* |cut -f 1 -d ' '`
params=`echo "$pfix" |sed 's/pfix=//' |tr ',' ' '`
for param in $params;do
case $param in
nosound)echo "NOSOUND='yes'" >>/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ;;
novideo)echo "NOVIVEO='yes'" >>/etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE ;;
esac
and code for pup_event_backend_modprobe

[ "$NOSOUND" = 'yes' -a "`echo "$MODULE" |grep -E '^snd|^sound'`" ] && exit $BECAUSE_NOSOUND
videodrivers=`modprobe -l | grep 'drm'` 
videodrivers=`echo "$videodrivers" |cut -f1 -d'.'|rev|cut -f1 -d'/'|rev`
[ "$NOVIDEO" = 'yes' -a "`echo "$videodrivers" |grep "$MODULE"`" ] && exit $BECAUSE_NOVIDEO
That would enable a script in $HOME/Startup to modprobe the drivers in the wanted order like /root/Startup/Sound.sh .

#!/bin/sh

#Personal Sound script
# ie to unload modules by the rmmod or modprobe -v commands
# or to load modules by the modprobe [-v] command
# see " [p]man modprobe " for more details .
#It is also advised to run /usr/sbin/bootmanager
# from the System Menu , to force the loading/blacklisting of modules .

#Don't forget to add a line with /etc/init.d/[##_]alsa [start|stop].

#In case on no sound modules loaded, 
# the sound applet in the tray (/usr/[local/]bin/retrovol) tends to exit .
#Of course, you can run alsawizard ,too .

npierce

Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard can create bad asound.conf

#97 Post by npierce »

If Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard doesn't find any sound card, it will create a corrupt /etc/asound.conf file if user clicks "OK".

Of course, if it cannot find any sound cards, there is a worse problem somewhere else, so the corrupt asound.conf file doesn't seem as bad by comparison. If the user could fix the initial problem so that a sound card could be found, then run Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard again to get a good asound.conf file, life would be good.

Unfortunately, Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard is confused by the bad asound.conf file it created and will not find any sound cards until the bad file is fixed or deleted.

And while asound.conf is bad, aplay, alsamixer, and probably other stuff will fail. So even if the user has fixed the initial problem and perhaps even rebooted, she still will have no sound.

The bad asound.conf file created by Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard looks like this:

defaults.pcm.card 
defaults.pcm.device 
Note that the number at the end of each line is missing, so the next time you run Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard the first line of the error message will to be:

ALSA lib conf.c:976:(parse_value) card is not a string
(The line number (976 in the example) will be different for different versions of the ALSA library.)
That error message actually comes from aplay -l, which Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard calls upon to get its list of sound cards.

alsamixer.bin gives the same error message, but the alsamixer wrapper script gives this error:

alsamixer.bin: option requires an argument -- 'c'
since it could not find the card number in the /etc/asound.conf file.

Of course, most users probably just run Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard from the menu, and won't see any error messages unless they look at the /etc/xerrs.log file. Users who run Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard from within alsawizard will never see any error messages, since that script sends them off to /dev/null.

The proposed fix simply places a message in the list window stating that the utility was unable to find any sound card, and it removes the "OK" button from the dialog. No asound.conf file is created or overwritten when the user clicks "Cancel".

There is also a small change to keep /tmp/mscw.tmp from growing each time the utility is used.

The attached patch is based on the current PET at:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... mscw-1.pet
Attachments
Multiple-Sound-Card-Wizard.diff.gz
Patch to prevent writing to asound.conf when no cards found
(431 Bytes) Downloaded 459 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#98 Post by BarryK »

Wary and Racy 5.2.90 (5.3 Release Candidate 1) is available:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02759

npierce, your last post missed it, I will look at that tomorrow, thanks for the info.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#99 Post by BarryK »

I was informed that we have to use gxmessage instead of xmessage for non-English Puppy. So, I have built Wary and Racy 5.2.90 with gxmessage (and xmessage a symlink to gxmessage).

However, disciple has posted to my blog that this in the X resources, I presume in /root/.Xresources, will enable xmessages to display non-English text properly:

*international: true
Is this true?

Note, Wary and Racy still have xmessage, at /usr/X11R7/bin -- but the /usr/bin/xmessage symlink is found beforehand. So, just delete the symlink and you have the old xmessage back.

L18L

xmessage international

#100 Post by L18L »

BarryK wrote:...

Is this true?...
I am thinking it is neither true nor false but simply not necessary.
At least not with racy 5.2.2.9 , see image and/or test yourself

# xmessage Γαζέες καὶ μυ
Attachments
xmessage.png
(48.18 KiB) Downloaded 1359 times
Last edited by L18L on Wed 21 Mar 2012, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

rodin.s

xmessage

#101 Post by rodin.s »

Code:

Is this true?
Yes. It's true. I wish I knew it before.
Last edited by rodin.s on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

antiloquax

#102 Post by antiloquax »

Downloading the RC. :D
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

Billtoo

Wary/Racy 5.3RC (5.2.90)

#103 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of Racy 5.2.90.
I haven't had any problems.
I changed to icewm and added "Desksetup Templates for Desk Icons" from
Slacko which allows removing all the desktop and drive icons.
Racy 5.2.90 seems to be rock solid, making small changes is fun though :)
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(42.21 KiB) Downloaded 1151 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 18 Mar 2012, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

antiloquax

#104 Post by antiloquax »

Frugal install of Racy 5.2.90 So far everything just works!
Attachments
sys-info-120318.gz
(9.71 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

antiloquax

#105 Post by antiloquax »

Frugal install to my PIII laptop. All good!
Attachments
PIII_Laptop_sys-info-120318.gz
(9.82 KiB) Downloaded 408 times

James C

#106 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of Wary 5.2.90 on my main Athlon XP box. All basics working on initial boot.

# report-video
Wary Puppy, version 5.2.90 on Sun 18 Mar 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

One small aggravation ......the Video Upgrade Wizard reports Wary not being connected to the internet, from the screenshot there obviously is an internet connection.Note this forum in the background.
Attachments
Video upgrade.png
(36.33 KiB) Downloaded 1824 times

rodin.s

Russian langpack

#107 Post by rodin.s »

I have updated Russian langpack. Changes: xdelta translation, hunspell-ru etc. Some help files are not translated yet.
Since quicksetup.mo is part of base Puppy I put it separately from langpack.
And here is also Ukrainian mini-translation for Quicksetup.

If I choose ru_UA locale at first boot in Wary I have black squares in xorgwizard instead of letters. Console font is not loaded, In Racy it doesn't happen since it boots directly to desktop,
Attachments
quicksetup_uk.txt.gz
Ukrainian mini-translation for Quicksetup
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
quicksetup.mo.gz
Russian mo-file for Quicksetup
(11.07 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

aarf

#108 Post by aarf »

all seems well.
two things not racy enough: fsck,
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/
Release 1.42.1 of e2fsprogs is available!

I am happy to announce a new release of the e2fsprogs distribution. All users of e2fsprogs are urged to upgrade to the 1.42.1 version as soon as possible, which can be found here.
racy:
# tune2fs
tune2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010

and rhadon reports there is a gparted that does btfs files systems.
rhadon was talking of 11 there is now stable 12 at
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php
racy has 07

Billtoo

Wary/Racy 5.3RC (5.2.90)

#109 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of Wary 5.2.90 to my Acer Netbook.

Sun 18 Mar 2012 Operating System: Wary Puppy-5.2.90 Linux 2.6.32.55
5.0 VGA compatible controller:ATI Technologies Inc M880G MobilityRadeonHD4200]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS880M 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.3.0
dimensions: 1024x600 pixels (256x144 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11554 Compatibility Profile Context

# glxgears
8897 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1779.301 FPS
8910 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1781.847 FPS
9000 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1799.803 FPS

AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor
Core 0: 1695 MHz

It's working well.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(26.79 KiB) Downloaded 1655 times

antiloquax

#110 Post by antiloquax »

New Racy RC is running like a dream on my old laptop. Got all my favourite software working - Vim, Python 3 with pygame and Scratch.
Attachments
scrn.png
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 1585 times