Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 04:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 15 of 20 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
Author Message
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 03:50    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.2.91. All basics working on initial boot.
Only problems are those mentioned earlier .... not really that big of a deal.As long as the PPM and browsers work I guess I can live without Wget..... Smile


I think that I sent you a pm to try the '-4' option with wget. Have you tried that?

That is, insert '-4' like this:

# wget -4 <url>

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
scsijon

Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 1026
Location: the australian mallee

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 03:52    Post_subject: Re: Any chance of a faster place to download Wary/Racy.  

Pete22 wrote:
At other download sites for puppies: I can get similar sized puppies in about 4 minutes My brother can download them about as fast as he can click his mouse.

It takes more than 20 minutes to download a standard sized puppy from the ibiblio site, no matter how fast our personal connections are.

Would you consider allowing wary/racy to also be hosted at one of these faster download locations?

Pete


I sugest that you check with your local university to see if they are mirroring some part of ibiblio, if so it should be easy to get them to add a couple of extra's (puppylinux and quirky) if they are not already doing so. You can also always try M.I.T. or Berkley.

ibiblio has been slow for some time now, I've found that http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/ is often much faster than ibiblio when my local http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/, here in australia has had problems.

_________________
Puppy T290 - BarryK's Racy but with T2 Version 9.0 is under development.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94575
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5722
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:02    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.2.91. All basics working on initial boot.
Only problems are those mentioned earlier .... not really that big of a deal.As long as the PPM and browsers work I guess I can live without Wget..... Smile


I think that I sent you a pm to try the '-4' option with wget. Have you tried that?

That is, insert '-4' like this:

# wget -4 <url>


Been busy and forgot ....... Smile
Let's try to download Flash.....

Code:
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-03-31 03:01:37--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-03-31 03:02:18 (158 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

#


Success.Glad you reminded me....
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:03    Post_subject:  

Find some bugs guys!

I am merrily using this pup, and apart from a couple of little things that I found right off, all is well. :happy:

There is the mysterious wget/ping failure problem, that so far has only affected one person.

I have some updated langpacks that I will upload soon:

fr 20120330 (esmourguit)
pl 20120327 (robwoj44)

I want to freeze everything, essential bug fixes only. Hold over unessential changes to later. Maybe can get the 5.3-final out in a couple of days?

Anyway, please play with the apps, let us know if anything crashes and burns.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 2505
Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:09    Post_subject: Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)  

Found a little thing, too Smile
truncated_filename.png
 Description   
 Filesize   33.83 KB
 Viewed   959 Time(s)

truncated_filename.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:20    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.2.91. All basics working on initial boot.
Only problems are those mentioned earlier .... not really that big of a deal.As long as the PPM and browsers work I guess I can live without Wget..... Smile


I think that I sent you a pm to try the '-4' option with wget. Have you tried that?

That is, insert '-4' like this:

# wget -4 <url>


Been busy and forgot ....... Smile
Let's try to download Flash.....

Code:
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-03-31 03:01:37--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-03-31 03:02:18 (158 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

#


Success.Glad you reminded me....


Good. /usr/sbin/delayedrun calls /usr/sbin/download_file to download the flash player, and this already has the '-4' parameter for wget.

The -4 forces wget to use ipv4 instead of the default of ipv6 (in recent versions of wget).

So the only remaining problem is with 'ping'. Earlier on I looked at the ping man page here:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ping

...which does not even mention ipv4 or ipv6.

However, I have just down another search, and found an example that uses -4 with ping:

# ping -4 www.google.com

...please try this!
...in fact, if it solves the problem I will put that option into the script permanently.
...if anyone tries this and it doesn't work for you, let me know that too.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5722
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:27    Post_subject:  

BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.2.91. All basics working on initial boot.
Only problems are those mentioned earlier .... not really that big of a deal.As long as the PPM and browsers work I guess I can live without Wget..... Smile


I think that I sent you a pm to try the '-4' option with wget. Have you tried that?

That is, insert '-4' like this:

# wget -4 <url>


Been busy and forgot ....... Smile
Let's try to download Flash.....

Code:
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-03-31 03:01:37--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-03-31 03:02:18 (158 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

#


Success.Glad you reminded me....


Good. /usr/sbin/delayedrun calls /usr/sbin/download_file to download the flash player, and this already has the '-4' parameter for wget.

The -4 forces wget to use ipv4 instead of the default of ipv6 (in recent versions of wget).

So the only remaining problem is with 'ping'. Earlier on I looked at the ping man page here:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ping

...which does not even mention ipv4 or ipv6.

However, I have just down another search, and found an example that uses -4 with ping:

# ping -4 www.google.com

...please try this!
...in fact, if it solves the problem I will put that option into the script permanently.
...if anyone tries this and it doesn't work for you, let me know that too.


Success again.

Code:
# ping -4 www.google.com
PING www.google.com (74.125.130.105): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=0 ttl=47 time=54.372 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=1 ttl=47 time=54.576 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=2 ttl=47 time=53.047 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=3 ttl=47 time=54.248 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=4 ttl=47 time=53.920 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=5 ttl=47 time=54.361 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=6 ttl=47 time=54.549 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=7 ttl=47 time=53.557 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=8 ttl=47 time=54.242 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=9 ttl=47 time=53.940 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=10 ttl=47 time=54.443 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=11 ttl=47 time=54.399 ms


Some of the "other" distros use ipv6 by default in their browsers and it's necessary to disable it before I can even get online.

Believe that solves my little problem. Thanks. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:36    Post_subject: Re: Wary/Racy 5.3RC2 (5.2.91)  

L18L wrote:
Found a little thing, too Smile


Good, a bug! Thanks, I fixed it.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
BarryK
Puppy Master


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 7047
Location: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 04:59    Post_subject:  

James C wrote:
BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
BarryK wrote:
James C wrote:
Fresh frugal install of 5.2.91. All basics working on initial boot.
Only problems are those mentioned earlier .... not really that big of a deal.As long as the PPM and browsers work I guess I can live without Wget..... Smile


I think that I sent you a pm to try the '-4' option with wget. Have you tried that?

That is, insert '-4' like this:

# wget -4 <url>


Been busy and forgot ....... Smile
Let's try to download Flash.....

Code:
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
--2012-03-31 03:01:37--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 184.87.2.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|184.87.2.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    159K/s   in 42s     

2012-03-31 03:02:18 (158 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

#


Success.Glad you reminded me....


Good. /usr/sbin/delayedrun calls /usr/sbin/download_file to download the flash player, and this already has the '-4' parameter for wget.

The -4 forces wget to use ipv4 instead of the default of ipv6 (in recent versions of wget).

So the only remaining problem is with 'ping'. Earlier on I looked at the ping man page here:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ping

...which does not even mention ipv4 or ipv6.

However, I have just down another search, and found an example that uses -4 with ping:

# ping -4 www.google.com

...please try this!
...in fact, if it solves the problem I will put that option into the script permanently.
...if anyone tries this and it doesn't work for you, let me know that too.


Success again.

Code:
# ping -4 www.google.com
PING www.google.com (74.125.130.105): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=0 ttl=47 time=54.372 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=1 ttl=47 time=54.576 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=2 ttl=47 time=53.047 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=3 ttl=47 time=54.248 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=4 ttl=47 time=53.920 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=5 ttl=47 time=54.361 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=6 ttl=47 time=54.549 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=7 ttl=47 time=53.557 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=8 ttl=47 time=54.242 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=9 ttl=47 time=53.940 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=10 ttl=47 time=54.443 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.130.105: seq=11 ttl=47 time=54.399 ms


Some of the "other" distros use ipv6 by default in their browsers and it's necessary to disable it before I can even get online.

Believe that solves my little problem. Thanks. Smile


Another bug bites the dust!

"ping -4" doesn't seem to do any harm. Hopefully no one will report that it messes things up for them.

I have put the -4 option for ping into these scripts:
Pudd, check_internet, video_upgrade_wizard.

_________________
http://bkhome.org/news/
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5722
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 05:10    Post_subject:  

No problems with the latest Flash in either SeaMonkey or Opera.
Wary 5.2.91.png
 Description   
 Filesize   199.18 KB
 Viewed   653 Time(s)

Wary 5.2.91.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Sage

Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Posts: 4782
Location: GB

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 06:15    Post_subject:  

The disappearing sr0 icon is back in Wary, the default overdriven resolution (1600x1200) remains in Racy (and Saluki).

PS. Thanks, Terri - started up 5x d/l from ibiblio, four were showing 2+ hrs, but one managed it in 15mins!
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 2505
Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 07:16    Post_subject: Re: Puppy-Setup: change to UTF-8 does not get permanent  

BarryK wrote:
L18L wrote:
LaRioja wrote:
I have installed Racy 5.2.90 on my AMD LE 1250 box and chose German locale in the Quick Setup but I accidentally did not tick UTF-8 Encoding. I changed this later in Puppy-Setup, but it doesn't get permanent. So on every reboot I have to change to UTF-8 again.
Is there something wrong?
Thanks for a hint.


Yes, there is something wrong, I have been trying to reproduce this in a similiar way.

racy 5.2.90 pfix=ram
chosen LANG: de_DE (without utf8)
saved to a new save file called racysave-de_DE.2fs

then reboot
and chosen racysave-de_DE.2fs

# cat /proc/cmdline
video=640x480 root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=normal pdev1=sda3
#
# echo $LANG
de_DE.UTF-8
#

repeated chooselocale (de_DE) several times

My observation:
change to non-UTF-8 does not get permanent

I don´t think this is specific to German.
Other languages, please test: changing to/from utf-8

Hope this will help locating the bug


I am not having any problem.

Running as a German user, I used quickcountry (symlink to quicksetup) to untick and tick the UTF-8 checkbox. There was no problem.

The problem may occur if you altered the initrd.gz the first time, to say de_DE-UTF-8, then that will be used at a reboot. QuickCountry/QuickSetup will offer to change the initrd.gz if you change the UTF-8 checkbox.


I like to confirm:
No problem if the offer to change initrd.gz is accepted !

Example: Change from de_AT to de_AT.utf8 only permanent if changed initrd.gz.

This leads to the idea:
I have decided wrong and LaRioja has decided wrong.
Why ask the user?
Always change it please without asking Cool

edit:
I have run xorgwizard without utf8, our (shinobar´s) trick OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8 did not work in console Crying or Very sad

this is leading to the next ( old ) idea:
make utf8 default without exceptions for non English
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
shinobar


Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 2618
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 08:29    Post_subject: locale in initrd.gz  

BarryK wrote:
The problem may occur if you altered the initrd.gz the first time, to say de_DE-UTF-8, then that will be used at a reboot. QuickCountry/QuickSetup will offer to change the initrd.gz if you change the UTF-8 checkbox.

I suppose it is not good idea changing the initrd.gz unless remastering, because it is hard to see the changed status for usual users.

_________________
Google Chrome portable
Downloads for Puppy Linux http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message Visit_website 
sszindian


Joined: 24 Apr 2010
Posts: 601
Location: Pennsylvania U.S.

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 14:28    Post_subject: 5.2.91  

Test: Racy-5.2.91

Type: Upgrade from Racy-5.2.90

Results:

(1) Everything went well and all previous installed files and .pet's were intact, and working.

(2) My original desktop configuration was completly changed back to the Racy 'default desktop.'

(3) Seamonkey browser remained at version 2.5 when it was changed back to that from 2.6 in a previous upgrade to 5-2-90??? I have no idea what the correct version should be for 5-2-91?

(4) WiFi (wireless Internet) setup easily and is working great finally.

(5) Overall, it looks like a winner without any problems from testing various areas and programs...

Will be using Racy for the next several days and will report if any problems come up.

>>>---Indian------>

_________________
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5722
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar 2012, 14:59    Post_subject: Re: 5.2.91  

sszindian wrote:

(3) Seamonkey browser remained at version 2.5 when it was changed back to that from 2.6 in a previous upgrade to 5-2-90??? I have no idea what the correct version should be for 5-2-91?


Installed browser in 5.2.91 is 2.6.1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send_private_message 
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 15 of 20 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1279s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0069s) ][ GZIP on ]