How to use iwl3945 wifi in Slacko 5.7?

jstrazza

How to use iwl3945 wifi in Slacko 5.7?

#1 Post by jstrazza »

I have an hpc6400 laptop with 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive and a duo core 1.86 CPU

Computer has windows/7 dual boot with pclinuxOS. The wireless works fine on both platforms.

I boot puppy Linux slacko 5.7 from a USB drive, but cannot get the wireless to work. The wireless shows iwl3945. I used the YUM multi-boot manager on the windows platform (sorry) to create the USB stick. It allows me to boot several different versions of Linux from the USB stick

When using the simple network setup, it says wlan0 not found. It appears that I need to use the pet repository to get the driver for this card and install it.

I am not able to attach error logs at this time and I am sure that they would be helpful.

I also tried the other two network setup options with similar results. There is a switch on the laptop to turn on and off the wireless, but it is on.

The machine works fine with the wired internet connection.

I am using the non-PAE version of slacko.

Can you provide me with some ideas about how to resolve this issue?

Thanks, John

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Welcome to the forums :)

If your wireless chipset is internal (or onboard,) please open a terminal and post the output of...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
or if it's a USB adapter...

lsusb
Last but not least...

dmesg
the portion that pertains to your wireless adapter.

Also, did you try using Frisbee to connect to your network?

Thanks! :)
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Marv

Re: How to use iwl3945 wifi in Slacko 5.7?

#3 Post by Marv »

jstrazza wrote:I have an hpc6400 laptop with 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive and a duo core 1.86 CPU

Computer has windows/7 dual boot with pclinuxOS. The wireless works fine on both platforms.

I boot puppy Linux slacko 5.7 from a USB drive, but cannot get the wireless to work. The wireless shows iwl3945. I used the YUM multi-boot manager on the windows platform (sorry) to create the USB stick. It allows me to boot several different versions of Linux from the USB stick

When using the simple network setup, it says wlan0 not found. It appears that I need to use the pet repository to get the driver for this card and install it.

I am not able to attach error logs at this time and I am sure that they would be helpful.

I also tried the other two network setup options with similar results. There is a switch on the laptop to turn on and off the wireless, but it is on.

Thanks, John
Not a new issue. This is a hack, there are more elegant ways but try the following:

Create the following directory:
/lib/firmware/iwlegacy

Go to the following directory:
/lib/modules/all-firmware/iwlwifi/lib/firmware

Copy and paste the file iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode into the iwlegacy directory you created in the first step. (should also work if you just paste it into /lib/firmware).

Might need a reboot. Try it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Marv wrote: Not a new issue. This is a hack, there are more elegant ways but try the following:

/lib/firmware/iwlegacy

Copy and paste the file iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode into the iwlegacy directory you created in the first step. (should also work if you just paste it into /lib/firmware).

Hi...

I saw a similar fix here but I wasn't sure that it would work in this case. :wink:

Regards...

jstrazza

#5 Post by jstrazza »

Marv wrote:
jstrazza wrote:I have an hpc6400 laptop with 4 GB of RAM, 320 GB hard drive and a duo core 1.86 CPU

Thanks, John
Not a new issue. This is a hack, there are more elegant ways but try the following:

/lib/firmware/iwlegacy

jstrazza

It works

#6 Post by jstrazza »

Marv, I did the simple fix and it worked! I saved the file, rebooted and it is all good. Thanks, John