Microsoft Knocks Out 4 Million Websites in Malware Hunt

For discussions about security.
James C

#1 Post by James C »

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/microsoft-n ... 19087.html
Microsoft took down two malware networks yesterday morning (June 30) by seizing control of almost two dozen domain names for websites from which the malware was being distributed and controlled. Sounds like good news, right? Well, Microsoft's sneak attack also took down more than 4 million legitimate websites that were using the same domain name system (DNS) service as the malware networks.
"The shutdown has affected in some form at least 25 percent of the APT groups we are tracking," Raiu wrote on the SecureList blog, concluding that, "We think yesterday’s events have dealt a major blow to many cybercriminal and APT operations around the world."

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Has knocked out one of the most useful sites on the web for me...

F*****G A**HOLES!

jamesbond3142.no-ip.org/blog/

Also my little private site.

Here is no-ip.com's response : https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ip ... -takedown/
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

01micko,
Evidently, MS does not want any of the sites it took down to be able to show their thoughts on this power play by MS that I would consider illegal.
Why did they stop there?
Why not take down every site on the internet that does not support them in the guise of getting rid of malware sites.
I think we have not heard the end of this as far as repercussions by the legal sites that were wiped out in the process.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Wow, I missed this. It's incredible that they have been so brazen. I always suspected US corporates had the ABILITY to censor the web easily, but would not have suspected Microsoft of being the one to disregard democracy in such an ignorant manner. I would have thought the actual www itself would have been outside Microsoft's grasp, and that such action would require authority from a US court of law (like the MegaUpload takedown that caused heaps of Puppy files to be lost...)

It's kind of like a form of internet blackmail. Too much power in the hands of self centred corporations. "We'll do what we want, when we want, and ask questions later".