Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It

Using applications, configuring, problems
discombolixt

Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It

#1 Post by discombolixt »

I quit Puppy Linux about 1 1/2 years ago just decided to give it another try and most certainly will start over at the beginners section but there is something has to be fixed first.

Lower RH corner near the clock is a blinking red and black Icon which I think might be something to do with down loading. Anyway I don't know what it is or how to stop the damn thing. :-) Also a red flag comes up says "the personal memory is getting full - do something".

I did try to download the newest release for Iron. Can't find that file and think it's stuck in download mode. Maybe. Just a guess. During the download I tried to close the window thinking the download was complete. It wasn't so I continued on but that might have caused a problem. Anyway that's the only clue I can give you.

I rebooted to Puppy, back to Windows, Back to Puppy and it is still blinking.

What should I do?

RSH

Re: Blinking Icon Not Sure Waht It Is or How to Stop It

#2 Post by RSH »

discombolixt wrote:I quit Puppy Linux about 1 1/2 years ago just decided to give it another try and most certainly will start over at the beginners section but there is something has to be fixed first.

Lower RH corner near the clock is a blinking red and black Icon which I think might be something to do with down loading. Anyway I don't know what it is or how to stop the damn thing. :-) Also a red flag comes up says "the personal memory is getting full - do something".

I did try to download the newest release for Iron. Can't find that file and think it's stuck in download mode. Maybe. Just a guess. During the download I tried to close the window thinking the download was complete. It wasn't so I continued on but that might have caused a problem. Anyway that's the only clue I can give you.

I rebooted to Puppy, back to Windows, Back to Puppy and it is still blinking.

What should I do?
The blinking icon means your personal storage file is full / needs to be resized.

You can do this somewhere in the utility menu --> Resize personal storage file.

You can also remove files from your personal storage file but i would recommend to resize it.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello !

Sorry to hear that Puppy is giving you a hard time... This simple solution will probably help.

Your flshing red lignt means one of two things: That you either

1) haven't created a pupsave file or

2) that it is almost full.

Case 1)
Close your Puppy normally by clinking the shutdown or the reboot entry in your menu.

After a few seconds, you will be asked if you want to save your parameters and the work you did during your first session. Answer yes.

Then you are presented with some choices :
save to CD|DVD or
save to file

Choose your pick and follow the prompts

Your working file will be saved and your computer will reboot | shutdown.

Case 2)
Open Puppy Menu -> Configuration -> Make pupsave bigger (can't remember the exact wording just now)
A panel appears telling you how many Mg's your Pupsave file currently has and the amount of Meg's to add, in multiples of 32Mb, more or less.

I'd suggest adding 512 Mb. Since you're interested in big programs such as Iron, this will give you enough space to install Iron on your system, and then some.

Then reboot or shutdown, immediately. (You've got an emergency light flashing, remember?) :)

With either of the above solutions, when your Puppy restarts, your blinking red light should be a stable green light instead, meaning: "all is ok".

Tell me how it went?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

discombolixt

#4 Post by discombolixt »

OK Thanx.

I increased the storage a couple times and slit that blinkers throat at least for a while.

Sun don’t rise and set on Iron.

So with that under my belt I’m off to the rookies section - see if I can relearn what little I did know and hopefully go on from there.

DBLXT

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi.

Good to see you
slit that blinker's throat for awhile.
8)

If you're satisfied with the solution, could you kindly put a "(Solved)" in the title of the thread? Since you initiated the thread, you're the only one who can do it. Thanks.

Have a great stay in Puppyland!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)