can't connect on internet via 3g usb modems

Booting, installing, newbie
kocg

can't connect on internet via 3g usb modems

#1 Post by kocg »

i was trying to connect on internet via 3g usb modems, but i couldn't last couple of days. i can on windows, that means everything is fine with modems.

my version is 5.2.5, and i installed it over windows puppy installer.

there are couple of things that should be written as i understood, that is:
-apn
-username
-password
-dial number
-name of modem device

and when i was written those details before, internet worked. now - it doesn't.

before i connected via "wireless gprs modem", wrote all 5 wanted details, and it run.

now, it will not.

and i tryed everything with those sony erricsson and zte modems. i tryed "pupdialer" with some strings and 2 accounts, and don't know, lots of stuff that don't understand, but it didn't want to connect.

am i doing something wrong? and what.

why on internet wizzard there's no "usb 3g modem" as an option?

i reinstall puppy dozen of times, and nothing.

please solve me this problem, or i'll move from puppy to some other os and you'll lose faithfull customer :)

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

You need to use the PupDialer. Have it scan for the USB modem. (button on the right "test/select")

Put in your connect #, username, and password. On mine this is :
#777 3g phone number 3g phone number again

Try to connect. It should instantly say "Carrier Detected". If it doesn't, you're not using the right port, so go back to step one and scan for USB device.

Once it connects successfully, it will say it doesn't know what else to do. This means you're connected.

kocg

#3 Post by kocg »

jafadmin wrote:It should instantly say "Carrier Detected". If it doesn't, you're not using the right port, so go back to step one and scan for USB device.

Once it connects successfully, it will say it doesn't know what else to do. This means you're connected.
bravo, it says exactly that: "Carrier Detected". and then says: "it doesn't know what else to do". and then is connected (i see the icon).

but i can't open any page in dillo browser. neither download anything in quickpet, it says "can't download, connect first on internet".

any suggestion?

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy should have two mobile BB modem connection apps :

pupdial

AND

pgprs-setup
pgprs-connect

ON earier Lupu 5 serries you would need to run

pgprs-shell

to install pgprs-setup,pgprs-connect

jafadmin

#5 Post by jafadmin »

kocg wrote:
jafadmin wrote:It should instantly say "Carrier Detected". If it doesn't, you're not using the right port, so go back to step one and scan for USB device.

bravo, it says exactly that: "Carrier Detected". and then says: "it doesn't know what else to do". and then is connected (i see the icon).

but i can't open any page in dillo browser. neither download anything in quickpet, it says "can't download, connect first on internet".

any suggestion?
once it connects try to ping 4.2.2.2 from the console. If that works you are connected to the internet, and it probably means you are not getting good dns servers or your /etc/resolv.conf file is not right.

kocg

#6 Post by kocg »

Karl Godt wrote:you would need to run

pgprs-shell

to install pgprs-setup,pgprs-connect
how to run that?

kocg

#7 Post by kocg »

jafadmin wrote: once it connects try to ping 4.2.2.2 from the console. If that works you are connected to the internet, and it probably means you are not getting good dns servers or your /etc/resolv.conf file is not right.
can you explain me little more first i bolded via step by step, and what does it mean second i bolded and how to fix that.

i'm total begginer in linux, please have understanding ;)

thx

kocg

more info

#8 Post by kocg »

here is little more info about this.

i set everything, and i should be on internet. and i press link to google or wikipedia, and it says at the bottom of the browser: "resolving www.google.com", or "resolving www.wikipedia.org", and it sounds like trying to connect.

but after some time, sites don't open, and says: "dns can't resolve www.google.com", or "dns can't resolve www.wikipedia.org".

is this helpful for some of your suggestions?

aarf

#9 Post by aarf »

Post a screen shot of the connect dialog or copy and paste the full output dialog. Make sure your old pupsave is not being loaded when you do reinstalls..

kocg

#10 Post by kocg »

basicly, i get the same mesages when i'm trying to connect now, as i was getting in time when internet worked.

in short, this is it:
- Initializing modem.
- Modem initialized.
- Waiting for carrier.
- Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
- Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
- The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
any idea what to change?

kocg

#11 Post by kocg »

and i forget, somtimes the icon on screen shows that i'm connected, and in that case tha last line of quoted is different.

- Initializing modem.
- Modem initialized.
- Waiting for carrier.
- Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
- Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
- The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
in that case it says "pip... pid... " something like that with numbers.

but also in that case i can't open nothing on net, neither download quickpet applications.

and i remember what i have done in meantime, but don't know is that related: i opened .iso file with puppy 5.2.8. in some directory on hard disk, during experimenting with puppy. don't know can this disturb connection on net?

gundul3l3k

#12 Post by gundul3l3k »

try this
1. open terminal>> lsusb if your modem detect /dev/sr1 >eject /dev/sr1
2. lsusb again> it will show your vendor and product Id
3. modprobe usbserial vendor=0x(hexcode) product=0x(hexcode)
4. open connection wizard dialup modem> probe ,it will show your modem configuration ,
5 .insert phone number,usrname,pasworrd ,chek stupidmod than connect
it is works to my modem zte ac682 :D :D

aarf

#13 Post by aarf »

Try any or all of these. Check all connections for gunk buildup . Gently scrap metal plate bits with a pointed object. Replug the phone. Restart the phone. Check cable for fractures. Exit all running apps on the phone.

kocg

#14 Post by kocg »

gundul3l3k,
nice tip, but i don't know: what is your instruction and what is that i shoud write in console?
please bold or colorise, cause now i can't see the diference in your comment.

aarf,
Replug the phone. Check cable for fractures. Exit all running apps on the phone.
checked. (modem not phone)
Check all connections for gunk buildup . Gently scrap metal plate bits with a pointed object.
i don't know what this means in english: "gunk buildup".

and next, i know what this means, but don't understand the fraze in computer context: "Gently scrap metal plate bits with a pointed object."

aarf

#15 Post by aarf »

Gunk is corrosion, dust, dirt, oil, sweat, grease, etc.
'Scrap' should read 'scrape' spelling mistake. The idea is to check or make for good electrical connections. I frequently have to do this or i will get the modem hang up response or not be able to connect at all.

kocg

#16 Post by kocg »

aarf, yes, i understood. no, that's not a problem cause it works on windows.

just one other thing: on puppy 5.2.5. i sow the way to connect the web over some "windows .inf file". i tried to find that file, but there is not on comp.
what is ".inf" file, and how to find it on harddisk, and connect over that thing on net by 3g modem?

jafadmin

#17 Post by jafadmin »

Let's go back to the beginning. You definitely want to use PupDialer.

When it progresses to a point where it says "carrier detected - don't know what to do", open a console window (icon is on the desktop) and type:

ping 4.2.2.2

and let us know if it shows a reply, or just hangs. If it hangs hit Ctrl+C and it will quit and tell you how many packet it lost, etc.

Then report back with results of these tests.

kocg

#18 Post by kocg »

jafadmin wrote:You definitely want to use PupDialer.
Then report back
here's complete dialing!

i install puppy linux 5.2.5 with puppy windows installer (lil'n'win)

here's 30 easy steps :) to connect on net via 3g modem on puppy linux:

1. i right click on screen->utility->general utilities->pupcontrol panel
2. i click network->network setup->(usb0,ethernet,cdc_ether,usb sony ericsson md 300)
3. i click usb0 (button under that)
4. pop-up screen with title "configure network interface usb0"
5. i click "test usb0" button
6. it says "unable to connect to network. verify that is network available and ethernet cable is pluged in
7. i click "auto dhcp" button on same window
8. pop-up window and it says "network configuration of usb0 successful! do you want to save this configuration?" and i clik yes
9. on first pop-up window with title "configure network interface usb0" i click the "done" button.
10. from pupcontrol panel (title "pcp"), i click "internet connect" button
11. pop-up window with title "internet connect wizard", and i click "internet by dialup analog or wireless modem"
12. then jumps another pup-up window and says "pupdial: modem string"
13. also said "it seems that you have a modem at port dev/ttyACM0. however, for the modem to work properly, you may need to supply an inizialing string. there are two of these. the first one is already set up as "ATZ" which just resets the modem. for many modems that is all that is needed and you can just click 'no' button as no futher probing required. however, some modems needs a bit more. if you clik yes button (recommended), then the modem will be probed to determine a requred secon initialization string. this probe will timeout after 29 seconds, which have may meant the probe is failed, in which case the second string will be set to nothing. note that you can manually enter something into second string box in pupdial (the user manuel for the modem have recommended string). recommended click 'yes' afterward pupdial will start..."
14. i click 'yes' button
15. i drink a glass of watter cause i tired of all these writting in step 13 :(
16. short-timed pop-up says 'veryfing the modem is present'
17. there's two hundered and fortyseventh pop-up, and says in title "pop-dial: modem test", and then "ok, the modem was probed and it responded, confirming that does exists. now the probe can be done to determine a suitable initializing string. click the yes button (recommended) or no if you change your mind.
18. i click 'yes' button.
19. short-timed pop-ups "please wait, updating settings" and "reading modem ... something"
20. finally, window 'popdial modem dialer' appears.
21. two initializig strings fields are filled up, and i just enter dial number that is the same everywhere on the world i think, then username and password, and apn, and sim pin enter "1234".
22. click 'connect' button
23. new pop-up window says:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: AT+CPIN=1234
AT+CPIN=1234
ERROR
--> Bad init string.
24. i click disconnect
25. i erase dial sim pin in that field in pupdial window and click connect
26. it says:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: some letter, i suppose first initializing string
OK
--> Sending: AT, CGDC and simmilar with some letters and data
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
~lots of strange simbols
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
~more lots of strange simbols, again
--> PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd
--> pid of pppd: 17247
--> Disconnecting
--> The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd man pages for more information.
27. i click 'console' icon on desktop and enter:
"# ping 4.2.2.2"
there's respons and says:
"PING 4.2.2.2 (4.2.2.2): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable"
28. in the last, but not the less funnier then other 27 steps of totally ease connecting on net, after 20 days of repeating the same steps, i started slowly and with elegance to bump my head into the wall
29. suprisingly, this advance technic didn't help, i'm still not on network. :mrgreen:
30. ask on puppy forum what to do 8)

kocg

#19 Post by kocg »

forget to ask - can i use 'wine' in puppy to connect on net via 3g modems like usually connecting on windows? m?

muggins

#20 Post by muggins »

kocg,

on the first page you mentioned that you had a zte modem, but you didn't say which model you had? These devices are usually hybrid modem/storage devices, and the manufacturers usually don't release drivers specifically for linux, whereas they do for windows & mac.

If you run Menu>System>HardInfo>USB Devices, what does HardInfo report the devices vendorId & productId as?

Also, when trying to get your modem working, using PupDial, does it give you the option of using a different ttyUSB port, with the Test/Select button, like in the attached image?

With my modem it's usually detected as ttyUSB1, which gives me the "no carrier" error. But when I change it to tttyUSB3 I can connect.
Attachments
pdial1.png
(34.18 KiB) Downloaded 155 times