Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 18:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
jondofox & jondonym - protect your privacy while surfing
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
ariel

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 16:38    Post subject:  jondofox & jondonym - protect your privacy while surfing
Subject description: take back your privacy

Do you think your browser is safe? Well, take this test here and see.

test

Now, if you are concerned about your privacy you had better be careful about the settings of your browser or there's a chance of being tracked like a new Winston Smith of the Orwellian novel. Take a look at this article:

read_article

One solution among others is jondofox, a firefox browser tinkered by those smart guys of the test page with settings focused on privacy issues. Here is the download

And for the paranoids there is the possibility to connect with whatever browser to a network that hides your IP pretty much like TOR does. It's easier to install but it needs java. Like TOR it's VERY slow (dialup speed rates) and in addition has download restrictions.

Here's the link

Somebody could say that if you don't have nothing to hide then you don't need to surf anonymous. I say that it's rather because I have nothing to hide that I don't want anybody snooping on me like I was a criminal or a new Winston Smith Exclamation
Barkin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 17:16    Post subject:  

deleted post
Last edited by Barkin on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 07:59; edited 8 times in total
aarf

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 17:23    Post subject:  

Did the test. It told me i was not secure. Then it told me i lived in the barbarian states!! Got the phone model and opera mini right though. Gives me a wide lattitude.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
ariel

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 20:13    Post subject:  

Barkin why did you delete the first link you posted? It was interesting, especially the report of the research. Others may judge by themselves here.

Some excerpts:

Code:
In general, modern desktop browsers fare very poorly, and around 90% of these are unique. The least unique desktop browsers often have JavaScript disabled (perhaps via NoScript). iPhone and Android browsers are significantly more uniform and harder to fingerprint than desktop browsers; for the time being, these smartphones do not have the variety of plugins seen on desktop systems.6 Sadly, iPhones and Androids lack good cookie control options like session-cookies-only

Code:
TorButton has evolved to give considerable thought to fingerprint resistance [19] and may be receiving the levels of scrutiny necessary to succeed in that project [15].

Code:
Browser fingerprinting is a powerful technique, and fingerprints must be considered alongside cookies, IP addresses and supercookies when we discuss web privacy and user trackability. Although fingerprints turn out not to be particularly stable, browsers reveal so much version and configuration information that they remain overwhelmingly trackable.

On the other hand proxies are useful but they can be tricky. Look here

Excerpt from chapter 3:

Code:
Relakks is one of many proxy tools available on the Internet that encrypts and reroutes traffic to avoid monitoring or filtering by anyone, such as the NSA, monitoring the user’s local ISP. When someone in China uses Relakks to request a page from the BBC, the connection goes from the user’s ISP in China to Relakks in Sweden (where Relakks is hosted) and then from Relakks in Sweden to the BBC in Britain (and back along the same route). The Chinese ISP can only see a connection to Relakks in Sweden, hiding the ultimate destination of the request (and bypassing any filtering as well). But in 2008, Swedish lawmakers authorized the the Forsvarets Radioanstalt (FRA), or National Defense Radio Establishment, a government agency responsible for signals intelligence, to monitor the content of all international Internet and phone traffic (including that of Relakks) without a warrant, requiring all Swedish ISPs to install FRA monitoring equipment.5 Now, Relakks users (at least, those who do not follow Swedish politics) are unwittingly handing their complete Internet data streams over to the Swedish government as they seek to avoid monitoring on their own local networks.
Barkin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2012, 13:45    Post subject:  

I tried running the Jondo Live-CD, it bollixed my computer good and proper.

A reinstall of my Windows & Linux OSes didn't solve the problem : I had to reflash the BIOS to get the computer working as before.

In the four years I've had this computer (DELL 1525) it's the first time I've ever had software which has corrupted the BIOS.

It may be my fault for installing the software incorrectly, it may be a peculiarity of my computer, maybe the CMOS battery needs to be replaced, however there are such things as BIOS rootkits. (If Jondo is modifying the BIOS then why ?).
ariel

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2012, 16:57    Post subject:  

I didn't test the live cd but only the jar file with a puppy OS. For this last one I haven't had the least problem so far. That's why I suggested it in the forum. I'm really sorry for what happened to your pc Sad

rootkit? I'd be surprised for two reasons: the first is that the software was reviewed by independent sources and was originally developed in a university environment; the second is that rootkits are designed to run hidden with the least possible fuss. If it is really what you think, it's a bad rootkit of sorts.

But the project is now passed to a private firm. So, I wouldn't lay my bottom dollar on it either.

I'd suggest to those interested that tests be done with a puppy cd booting into ram and the jar file.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Security/Privacy
Jump to: