Slacko 5.3.3-RC2 (5.3.2.4[0])

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#466 Post by Sage »

5.3.2.4[0]
Mouse pointer keeps freezing, then, mostly, frees-up again???

PenguinPupLin

#467 Post by PenguinPupLin »

01micko wrote:Hi shino

snipped

PenguinPupLin

I would say the reboot/restart X problem is inherited from the previous install. Could you try a clean install? If it's fixed I'll see if there is a way to upgrade and nullify that bug. I did notice a very small proportion of users have these issues but only with USB installs, yours is the only one I recall with a HDD frugal install. DId it ever reboot properly? I'd say it must have at one point if you were able to make a save file.
Yes,it rebooted properly before when after changing my LCD monitor to a widescreen one i.e.16:9 (previously 4:3) and it booted straight into xorgwizard, forcing me to choose fglrx and resolution for Radeon driver,not the ati-catalyst-11-8 that then popped up "initialization error" - so I rerun 'aticonfig --initial', while trying to do so I also encountered a strange keyboard misbehaviour where typing "z" gave me "y" and vice-versa.

Btw,my HDD frugal install is on an ntfs partition in a multiboot environment with Windows Vista and other puppies. Just to point it out in case it matters.

I guess I'd have to do a clean install as you suggested which means my existing and backup savefiles cannot be used (there goes all my softwares,updates,favourite websites and settings) and start from scratch with a new pupsave. Or I might wait until your final release ver 5.3.3 (quite soon?) to do so.

One more thing, all the desktop icons and widgets suddenly disappeared and I have to turn them on manually each time I boot up.

Cheers! Keep up the good work.

Sage

#468 Post by Sage »

supra. - probably an HW issue!

Diminutive repo! Bunch of stuff won't work and dependencies not listed eg 'jack', 'portaudio','v4l-utils', inter alia. Not to mention Claws, EudoraOSE, etc. Afraid my old memory box doesn't run to remembering where every reference to individual files resides on the Forum, esp. as I juggle dozens of distros and rather more machines simultaneously daily. The PPM is the cornerstone for any distro. Sine qua non...

Jasper

#469 Post by Jasper »

Sage reported:

".... I juggle dozens of distros and rather more machines simultaneously...."
---------------------------------
Yet he is doubtless unable to edit his posts singly, let alone two-at-once.

I suggest he should probably edit his last two posts to rectify any mistakes.

Addendum:

I have just seen that "jack", "claws", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera are available from the Slacko Repository via the Slacko PPM. Perhaps 01micko has added them very recently as a result of Sage's compulsive appeal.
Last edited by Jasper on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#470 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of 5.3.2.4 on the old P3 test box. Everything working correctly on initial boot.
In fact I am bumping the minimum system requirements to 1GB processor. Keef reported it's very slow to decompress for him on a slow box, it is because of the xz compression. No issue on faster machines.
Since this box is 733 mhz and the difference is noticeable I'll confirm this. Still usable but slower.5.31 w/ 2.6.37.6,and the regular compression, is perfectly fine though.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.2.4

Chip description:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (126MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Tue 21 Feb 2012 02:01:19 PM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

gcmartin

#471 Post by gcmartin »

Lobster wrote:Took me a while to work this out . . .

Do I need the PAE version?

normal slacko-5.3.2.4 - most users
PAE slacko-5.3.2.40 - those with 2006+ PCs or 4G or more of RAM

19 Feb 2012 RC2 includes the Seamonkey PNG security fix
have added temp link info for our intrepid Release Candidate testers
in Slacko tips
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoTips
PAE should run on of the shown computers regardless of RAM sizes from 512MB to 64GB; namely those shown.

Hope this helps

James C

#472 Post by James C »

Been experimenting again, now if I can just get motivated to finish tweaking it........ :lol:
Attachments
Slacko XFCE 4.8.png
(154.93 KiB) Downloaded 1655 times

jim3630

#473 Post by jim3630 »

5.3.2.4 frugal install pfix=ram to ext4 hdd on dual p6100 hp. frisbee menu installed with auto-detected broadcom wifi driver and connection made without issue. mesa installed via slickpet. glxgears shows expected output.

everything works so far will keep testing next few days. thanks

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#474 Post by Lobster »

I have upgraded from RC1 to RC2
- it has been a bit of a mess.
What I may have done is move from normal to PAE :oops:
Adobe Flash (the well known proprietary disaster area) it tells me is the wrong version
Sound is not working.

OK I will go for a pristine puppy pfix=ram install
as I notice many little improvements despite my difficulties

Other people seem to be having a better experience
Thanks Mick. Thanks guys.
:)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 23 Feb 2012, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gcmartin

#475 Post by gcmartin »

Lobster wrote:I have upgraded from RC1 to RC2 ... [/i]
Hi @Lobster.

I'm not sure if the upgrades were built to be able to upgrade non-PAE to PAE. While I clearly understand why you would want to approach an upgrade path, I think there are some "gotchas" that exsit to not let that be an optimum approach.

You may want to consider getting the PAE iso and starting there. You should expect a better experience.

Hope this helps

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#476 Post by Lobster »

You may want to consider getting the PAE iso and starting there
Yes I think you are right :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jades

#477 Post by Jades »

James C wrote:
In fact I am bumping the minimum system requirements to 1GB processor. Keef reported it's very slow to decompress for him on a slow box, it is because of the xz compression. No issue on faster machines.
Since this box is 733 mhz and the difference is noticeable I'll confirm this. Still usable but slower.5.31 w/ 2.6.37.6,and the regular compression, is perfectly fine though.
I can't test 5.3.2.4 on my K6 machine due to the CPU not having support for the CMOV instruction (which is presumably the reason why I encounter 'Illegal Instruction' errors with i686 stuff) so 5.3.1 will be the newest Slacko I can run on there.

What I have noticed on the K6, with most of the versions of Puppy I've used on it, is that a full install will be noticeably quicker in use than a frugal or LiveCD. I assumed that this was down to decompression on the latter setups using more CPU time.
Last edited by Jades on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#478 Post by Jades »

Performance of 5.3.2.4 continues to be excellent on the Pentium D machine, I'm very pleased! Still using it as LiveCD and USB stick as I strongly suspect that the hard drive is failing on me, can't even start to boot XP at the moment.

I forgot to report earlier that setting up the wireless networking with the Netgear WN111v2 has a couple of additional steps compared to setting it up on other versions of Puppy. I've attached screen grabs of the two windows. I assume these pop up because some devices using the carl9170 drivers don't always work properly. I chose 'Add to List' on the first one as I knew the device is capable of WPA2 and for the second one I clicked 'OK' without changing anything.

Security I'm using is WPA2 with maximum-length hidden SSID and maximum-length key. Speed is very good, at least the same as Lupu 528 and possibly better.
Attachments
carl9170wpa1.png
First additional window for setting up wireless networking with Netgear WN111v2.
(21.41 KiB) Downloaded 1322 times
carl9170wpa2.png
The second additional window for setting up wireless networking with Netgear WN111v2.
(14.6 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

James C

#479 Post by James C »

Don't know if it's affected anyone else but I was unable to reformat an ext3 partition on my P4 test box using Gparted in my frugal installation of 5.3.2.4. I attempted to format to both ext3 and ext4 but Gparted errored out both times.
Installing the latest Exprimo so I used that to format...... no problem.

01micko

#480 Post by 01micko »

That's weird James, I have been using gparted a fair bit lately, ext 4, no problems.

Anyway.. the bug with aufs has reared it's head again.. it seems to be hanging intermittently mostly in USB installs. A bloke in my class (a linux head) has this issue on a fairly fast lappy, 4G RAM.

I didn't want to recompile a kernel but I have, with union fs, made a new build script too, the headers package is fixed (pemasu :wink: ). Worked first go.. building a test woof now.

I am considering moving to the latest woof, just because development has been slow with my heavy schedule. I have managed to keep seamonkey up to date and that's about it!

Thoughts?

Later..

Ok, the union_fs kernel boots and runs fine, small bug with xorg that wasn't apparent with aufs but I know why. :)

Jades, just noticed about your carl9170 issue, this is because the module name is changed apparently (formerly ar9170) and wag-profiles.sh (netwizard functions library) doesn't know about it, Thanks for the heads up, it's an easy fix.
Attachments
build-kit-k3.1.10-4gU.tar.gz
kernel build kit
(29.71 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

PenguinPupLin

#481 Post by PenguinPupLin »

PenguinPupLin wrote:Upgraded the manual frugal install of Slacko 5.3.1-Main including the pupsave to 5.3.2.4. Found 2 issues:-
1) Unable to reboot,restartX or exit to prompt - had to Crtl+Alt+backspace;
2) No network interface detected and had to add module rt73usb for my TP-Link-WN321G wireless usb adapter and setup wireless connectivity - now working.

Greatly appreciate your work,keeping Slacko up-to-date,constantly improving and fixing issues.

How about adding an "update" icon on the desktop where important and latest updates,notifications and fixes are made known and available just one click away, just like in Lighthouse Pup?

Really look forward to your final release.

Added: Wow,just discovered the amd-catalyst-driver-12-1 for slacko in the PPM repo, just what I wanted for my Radeon HD5450 graphics without having to install it myself using the usual method with devx and kernel source files. This is the 1st time the latest graphics card driver is made available so soon for puppies AFAIK,if I'm not wrong;thanks so much.

However,my problem of not being able to reboot,restart X or exit to prompt is still there. Would greatly appreciate any help.
Problem fixed by a stroke of luck or,should I say, accidentally.

First, I discovered my desktop startup was set to xwin fvwm95 which wasn't what I wanted. Tried to switch to jwm in console,didn't work. Then typed reboot in console and system hanged. So I did a hard reset of the PC which to puppy is equivalent to a power failure that, upon reboot,offered me the choice of "Ignore", "Commandline" or wait 30 sec. I took this opportunity to go to commandline , typed xwin jwm to get back in.

Finally, run wm switcher(which failed to run previously for the same reason as the reboot/restartX problem) and set it to jwm and revert background to default.jpg. Voila!, restartX works, so do reboot and poweroff - problem resolved; just to share my experience.

aarf

#482 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:WOOHOO!

The death of Adobe Flash is nigh!

The next slacko-rc WILL play youtube vids ootb with NO, I repeat NO flashplayer installed 8)

Yes, yes, it's late, I know .. I've been buried in a batch of macros.. :roll:

Stay tuned...
so i dragged the omelet into seamonkey and seamonkey said what do you think this is? christmas!
On a plus windows dont disappear at the top of the screen now.

bigpup

#483 Post by bigpup »

01micko wrote:I am considering moving to the latest woof, just because development has been slow with my heavy schedule. I have managed to keep seamonkey up to date and that's about it!

Thoughts?
You know more than anyone else what you need to do to cure problems.

The one thing that I do not understand. When a new update of Woof comes out, why a test Woof Puppy is not made. Seems that all this stuff being changed, would need testing, to see if they play well together.
Make a Puppy build with this new Woof and do sanity check to see if this Woof will build a good Puppy.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#484 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:That's weird James, I have been using gparted a fair bit lately, ext 4, no problems.
Well, just tried reformatting the same partition again and no problem. Just one of those little temporary glitches I guess.

01micko

#485 Post by 01micko »

Back to beta isos are uploading now (Sat Feb 25 23:00:56 EST 2012 au, eta 1.5 hrs)

We'll test that out and continue discussion there.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access