I've messed up my dual-boot install of Puppy and Lubuntu

Booting, installing, newbie
asiangoddess

I've messed up my dual-boot install of Puppy and Lubuntu

#1 Post by asiangoddess »

Hi! I should have installed puppy using a frugal install, but I made the mistake of trying to install puppy first, and then lubuntu. Then I felt that I didn't get it to work so I tried to reinstall lubuntu and run a frugal install of puppy so that I have both operating systems running side by side. I tried to follow the instructions found on http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... buntu.html but could not find the menu.1st file. I tried to delete everything on my computer and start from scratch. I even tried to just delete all the puppy files but it would tell me that this was denied. When I reinstalled lubuntu, puppy files were reinstalled too! Now, I can't seem to run update manager to update my system. Is there a way to totally wipe out everything in my hard drive and just start from scratch? Or is there another way to fix this issue?

I just want to remove puppy because I think it is messing with my system because of the full install I did earlier. I'm so clueless!

I don't know what to do! Please help. Thanks!

mill0001

#2 Post by mill0001 »

Hi, Just use your live cd of Puppy and boot it using puppy pfix=ram at the boot screen. At the desktop go to Menu-System-Gparted. Tell it to recognize all drives at startup. Then just delete any partitions you have and make two new ones. Format them using ext3 or ext4. Then use your buntu disk to boot into and install it on the first partition. Once your buntu install is finished boot back up with your Puppy cd and do Frugal or Full install on the second partition. Hope this helps, GL, Lee.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

If one know what to do that is most likely the proper order.

Lubuntu should be installed first. Lubuntu expect that to be the case.

But does she knows what to write in the grub.conf that Lubuntu sets up?

I guess one need to do a special file named xxx_40 something
and there put the code for a frugal install of Puppy and then do a
update of grub in Lubuntu or else it will run over that entry?

So one really have to know how to? Which I don't
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though