Remastering a running LIve media system

Booting, installing, newbie
gcmartin

Remastering a running LIve media system

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I have (others point this out too) that there is misunderstanding that leads to misuse in remastering a system that is tailored and running.

I have been using a very awkward personal procedure for my purposes. But, even then, there are some hiccups in the tool as provided in Menu>Setup>Remastere...

I believe that an example set of directions could be helpful for users to follow when they boot from Live media, use PPM to tailor the sytem, test and then want to remaster capturing all the work they did in the running session.

Maybe even the Remaster screen could be collapsed into a single screen so that a user might better see what is going to occur at the front-end rather than deep into the middle of the remaster-process.

I am willing to donate time to assist this become a little more apparent if it will help.

Here to help.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, gcmartin !

You say:
> I have been using a very awkward personal procedure for my purposes.

Care to elaborate? :) Perhaps we can all benefit from your findings.

Thanks in advance. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

musher0 wrote:Hello, gcmartin !

You say:
> I have been using a very awkward personal procedure for my purposes.

Care to elaborate? :) Perhaps we can all benefit from your findings.

Thanks in advance. BFN.
Primarily, I ahve been manually copying the "running" /etc folder to the /temp/etc created by the remaster tool in an effort to insure that I can see the applications it misses.

Further, in some cases, I have had to copy the root folder as sell.

Lastly, there are on some occasions some apps that are installed that are missed.

Thus, this adds to the time-effort to get a "good" remaster which matches the running system.

I am not a Linux expert. But, I wonder if there is a simple tool available to capture everything that is currently in the running into a ISO form for rebooting? Since I can do this with Windows with an old tool I use, I wonder if I can do this with the running Puppy. IN this case, I would NOT need the current CD to get a bootable copy of the running system.....would I??

I hope this makes clear what I do and why. And, if someone can share why/why-not the running system would not be acceptable for a ISO of the running system I would be one to benefit in that level of understanding.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.