LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
the last saviour

#721 Post by the last saviour »

Thank you.

I can't hear any music at your webly website.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

RSH

#722 Post by RSH »

I can't hear any music at your webly website.
Currently there isn't any of my music and/or drum solos online available.

At the moment I don't have time to do any work on the weebly pages - maybe I'll decide to remove them later again...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

RSH

#723 Post by RSH »

Download LP2_JWildFire-1.63.sfs.
The LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs is predefined as dependent SFS for LazY Puppy and L.A.S.S.I.E. 002.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

the last saviour

#724 Post by the last saviour »

Danke Herr RSH.
Please also make the java7.sfs file
It will render the fractal faster. :lol:

Cheer.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

LazY Puppy

#725 Post by LazY Puppy »

Danke Herr RSH.
It will render the fractal faster.
Hello, the last saviour.

There is already

LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs (19-Feb-2013 01:46 33M)

and

LP2_JRE17u3.sfs (19-Feb-2013 01:19 46M)

at

LazY Puppy Repository at smokey01.com

Thanks,

RSH

rufwoof

#726 Post by rufwoof »

Downloaded, burnt to DVD, LiveCD booted to desktop ok.

Really tidy and well structured, highly impressed ...

BUT : menu loading of programs i.e. Libre Calc, prompts to download SFS, shows download progress and downloads 100% ok but then puts out a download failed message (red message box) for a few seconds and .... no program.

Tried creating a save file and booted that, but then said insufficient save file space can't download prompt.

LazY Puppy

#727 Post by LazY Puppy »

LazY Puppy is NOT made for a use from CD or DVD.

It is made especially for the use from USB HDD or USB Flash Drive.

Automated download of SFS Modules will download automatically to boot directory. Since you can't download to CD/DVD it has to fail completely!

Do a frugal install of LazY Puppy and mount the boot drive/partition before trying to download any SFS Module.

There maybe a message after download saying wrong md5sum and some programs won't start then. This is usual related to a new uploaded SFS Module. Just check if it has downloaded into boot directory correctly and try restarting the Program.

It should execute without any problems then.

Btw: LazY Puppy is also especially created for the use without a personal storage file (save file).
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rufwoof

#728 Post by rufwoof »

That did the trick.

Libre 3.3 Calc (Office) did complain about MD5 like you indicated, but had downloaded ok and worked ok (as per how you said)

I prefer to run without a savefile, so well suited.

Thanks RSH

PS :

For some fun, have a play with using higher compression when remastering. Its a lot (lot) slower to remaster, but the sfs size is usually quite a bit smaller

i.e. edit /usr/local/lazy_remaster/lp2_remaster_pupcd

and add :

#set compression
COMP=""
mksquashfs -help &>/tmp/mk #refuses to grep from stdout
grep 'xz' /tmp/mk &>/dev/null
[ "$?" = "0" ] && COMP="-comp xz"
ARCH="`uname -m`"
[ "$(uname -m|grep ^i)" ] && ARCH="`uname -m|cut -c3,4`"
case "$ARCH" in
86)AOPT="-Xbcj x86 -b 1024K" ;;
*)AOPT="" ;; #todo add other arches
esac
rm /tmp/mk
COPTIONS=""${COMP}" "${AOPT}""
#end set compression

then change line 782 from

squash / $WKGMNTPT/$rebuilddir/$PUPPYSFS -e /etc /proc /initrd /var /tmp /archive /mnt /root /$rebuilddir $ANOTHER_REMOVE $DIRHOME $DIRSYS $DIRLOST /$PUPPYSFS $SLDAEMON $MDAEMON $MWDAEMON $HAMREG #111012 end

to (i.e. add the ${COPTIONS} variable just before the -e parameter)

squash / $WKGMNTPT/$rebuilddir/$PUPPYSFS ${COPTIONS} -e /etc /proc /initrd /var /tmp /archive /mnt /root /$rebuilddir $ANOTHER_REMOVE $DIRHOME $DIRSYS $DIRLOST /$PUPPYSFS $SLDAEMON $MDAEMON $MWDAEMON $HAMREG #111012 end

That uses a much larger compression dictionary size, which can improve compression reasonably.

Wild guess - but you might see the .sfs drop from 172MB down to perhaps 150MB.

Too late for me to be staring to remaster tonight (early hours), but I might give that a try myself over the next few days and if so I'll let you know the result.

LazY Puppy

#729 Post by LazY Puppy »

LazY Puppy SFS Repository updated.

More information here.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

the last saviour

#730 Post by the last saviour »

LazY Puppy wrote:
Danke Herr RSH.
It will render the fractal faster.
Hello, the last saviour.

There is already

LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs (19-Feb-2013 01:46 33M)

and

LP2_JRE17u3.sfs (19-Feb-2013 01:19 46M)

at

LazY Puppy Repository at smokey01.com

Thanks,

RSH
Thank U very much.
I've seen those files for sometimes but never know that they are the new versions.
Maybe I'm confuse.

mai77

chess in puppy

#731 Post by mai77 »

LP is still interesting in 2015.

some thought about having Tcl/Tk fully working and run the SCIDB chess database.

LazY Puppy

Re: chess in puppy

#732 Post by LazY Puppy »

mai77 wrote:LP is still interesting in 2015.
Yes!

I'm still using it as my daily OS.

Currently I'm working on some stuff to build temporarily LazY Puppy Systems without to remaster a original Puppy, just by using a config File and loading SFS Modules at boot up.

Probably there is something I will come up with in the beginning of 2016.

By now I can do this using precise, tahr, tahr64, unicorn and vivid Puppy.

All these Puppies are un-remastered and them are configurable just by the config File and the SFS Modules in use!

RSH
RSH

Puppus Dogfellow

#733 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

LazY Puppy wrote:
mai77 wrote:LP is still interesting in 2015.
Yes!

I'm still using it as my daily OS.

Currently I'm working on some stuff to build temporarily LazY Puppy Systems without to remaster a original Puppy, just by using a config File and loading SFS Modules at boot up.

Probably there is something I will come up with in the beginning of 2016.

By now I can do this using precise, tahr, tahr64, unicorn and vivid Puppy.

All these Puppies are un-remastered and them are configurable just by the config File and the SFS Modules in use!

RSH
cool idea, RSH.

do you know if something similar is possible with installed pets? are there a limited number of folders whose contents change when programs are added that way? i ask because it would be nice to be able to, either through a script or drag-dropping, take your changes with you by copying over, for example, usr/share/applications, some library folder, maybe some file that read what pets got installed. are there many more that would need to be moved? is there a way to find out what program installation affected which folders? is that even necessary? would this even work?

thanks in advance for your musings on the issue.

d.

LazY Puppy

#734 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

What I'm currently working on is based on -of course- LazY Puppy, A vote for a modular use of Puppy Linux and Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz

I am calling this: T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and it is possible to install .pet Files automatically after X appeared on the Screen - absolutely quiet, no confirmations needed!

Though, installing .pet Files is really different to the use of .sfs Modules. Since a .pet is just a .tar.gz (I think it is containing a .tar File plus a MD5 Sum File) it will replace/overwrite existing Files when installing -which is exactly extracting its Content to / - that's why a .pet Package needs to have the Linux File System Structure inside !!!

By a modified initrd.gz, two different Config Files and currently 11 different .sfs Modules given to each Puppy Linux and this all in combination with different boot menu entries in menu.lst you can have an almost unlimited Number of different configured Puppy Linux Systems just by using a single one, like tahr 6.0.2 etc.pp.

Boot a full featured Graphics Puppy for Imaging or a full featured Music Puppy for Audio Editing and Recording with the your favored Applications already loaded at boot up.

Use Menu Pipes to have directly Access to external Scripts, RoxApps, Portable Applications for Linux and Wine and start Wine Portable Applications just by clicking the .exe or even a Menu Entry targeting to the .exe etc.pp..

I have refined this stuff to a level where I can add code to a Script located at a sub-directory of the boot-directory which then will be executed at boot up in /etc.profile.local, so I can create new global Environment Variables like $PATH from code in an external File ! :D

Examples of the SFS Modules given to Vivid beta2:

- binaries_vivid_beta2.sfs
- defaultapps_vivid_beta2.sfs
- designs_vivid_beta2.sfs
- documents_vivid_beta2.sfs
- icons_vivid_beta2.sfs
- langpack_vivid_beta2.sfs
- roxappstarters_vivid_beta2.sfs
- sfsplusrunscripts_vivid_beta2.sfs
- sfsplus_vivid_beta2.sfs
- variomenu_vivid_beta2.sfs
- windowmanager_vivid_beta2.sfs

Most of them do have re-build Scripts, so you can change Settings, rebuild the dependent/related SFS Module and it will update automatically at next boot to the new Settings.

I don't have any words to describe of how glad I'm currently with this Development, called: T.O.P.L.E.S.S.!

Probably in the beginning of 2016 I will come up with a first Version.

By now I have build T.O.P.L.E.S.S. for the following Puppy Linux Systems:

- Precise 5.7.1
- Slacko 5.9.3
- Slacko 64 5.9.1
- Tahr 6.0.2
- Tahr 64 6.0.2
- Unicorn 6.0
- Vivid beta2

Of course, the Slacko Systems are the less tested Systems and T.O.P.L.E.S.S. might need some improvement for these...

Note/Announcement: after publishing the first Version of T.O.P.L.E.S.S., all my future Developments will be done and supported strictly to the Context of T.O.P.L.E.S.S.!

And I will definitely QUIT!

No, not Puppy...

...remastering!

:lol:
RSH

stemsee

#735 Post by stemsee »

LazY Puppy wrote: By now I have build T.O.P.L.E.S.S. for the following Puppy Linux Systems:

- Precise 5.7.1
- Slacko 5.9.3
- Slacko 64 5.9.1
- Tahr 6.0.2
- Tahr 64 6.0.2
- Unicorn 6.0
- Vivid beta2
Do you mean you had to create a custom version for each distro or one master version which works with all pups in that list?

LazY Puppy

#736 Post by LazY Puppy »

It's a bit of a mix of both.

All the .sfs Modules are made from Master .sfs Modules, so windowmanager_vivid_beta2.sfs, windowmanager_tahr_6.0.2.sfs etc.pp. are created from the LP3_JWM-MenuPipes.sfs and so on...

The initrd.gz needs to be re-created separately for each Puppy Linux System which depends on a few additions to the init script and a lot of more additions to the DISTRO_SPECS - just done by doing a manually search for RSH and executing Copy and Paste from one init Script the another init Script (also on the DISTRO_SPECS).

Then there are 22 equal Files that are just added to each initrd.gz, where most are small Scripts. One is a default T.O.P.L.E.S.S. Wallpaper and there are two .desktop Files to be able to switch Desktop Icons on/off if booted with Desktop Icons off.

A special case is /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which needs to be modified also separately between Precise on one Hand and the new WoofCE Puppy Systems on the other Hand.

Basically when I'm in the Flow it takes appr. 15 Minutes to create T.O.P.L.E.S.S. for a new Puppy.
RSH

greengeek

#737 Post by greengeek »

LazY Puppy wrote:And I will definitely QUIT!

No, not Puppy...

...remastering!

This sounds like very good news. I think it is a "bad thing" when the main puppy sfs keeps it's same name during a remaster yet has completely different contents. If you can avoid remastering (so that the puppy sfs always keeps the same name and contents) then it eliminates confusion and keeps any personalisations outside of the main puppy sfs.

Sounds like great progress!

LazY Puppy

#738 Post by LazY Puppy »

Yes, I don't like it anyway when the main puppy sfs keeps its same name when remastered, that's why I did re-name all my published Derivatives like LazY Puppy, L.A.S.S.I.E. etc. but also my private Puppy Derivatives.

My intention to quit the remaster Process comes from trouble in a few details when doing a remaster first time. In LazY Puppy (Lucid based) it was the pppoe that didn't work any longer. In L.A.S.S.I.E. (Precise based) it was hardinfo that didn't work any longer.

After doing LazY Puppy and before doing L.A.S.S.I.E. plus all the new Programs included I thought about of how to make Remasters more or less automated, doing it just one Time and doing all in a single Process which makes me invent the LazY Puppy ISO BUilder - based on Woofy by scOttman, used to build L.A.S.S.I.E. 001 & 002.

So L.A.S.S.I.E. 001 & 002 were just remastered once from the original ISO installing all Packages and doing all Changes in a single Process, returning the new renamed Puppy derivative. Though, hardinfo won't work any longer.

So I felt in Love with configuring a Puppy to the needs just by a external config File which made me creating the Topic Getting closer... or ...editing the initrd.gz. In between I tried to create a temporary LazY Puppy from unremastered Puppy Systems when creating the Topic A vote for a modular use of Puppy.

T.O.P.L.E.S.S. is the answer to a question by mikeb, related to SARA B. and L.A.S.S.I.E.
mikeb wrote:Women and now TV dogs... what next?! :D
and -of course- the improved combination of all of this work done, to keep any Puppy fresh and clean and un-remastered plus to boot them as far as possible configured to the current needs.

Just use boot parameter pconfig=no and the Puppy boots straight to its original setup. If no pconfig is submitted it searches for its default config file ($DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX_DISTRO_VERSION.cfg). Any else submitted parameter for pconfig, like pconfig=monday, will search for the $DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX_DISTRO_VERSION-monday.cfg.

The config file gives lots of options to setup JWM Theme, Icon Theme, SFS Modules loaded, Wallpaper, Startup Sound plus many more. So an almost unlimited number of different Puppy Systems without to do any remaster first or ever...
RSH

stemsee

#739 Post by stemsee »

I love the idea, so that it could be possible to create custom systems easily tailored for various family members for example.

I am thinking of providing short intro to linux for university staff and students focused on using puppy. Your system would give an external means to integrate personalisations almost on the fly, which is what people love to do with their phones and appearance!

There is a big win in here somewhere!

nic007

#740 Post by nic007 »

Keep the original base SFS and make add-on SFS's of new configurations (make an SFS of a save file)? I just use a few extremely small save files (about 10MB each) for different configurations. Works just as well