LazY Puppy 2.0.2 Final - a Paradise Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Gnuxo

#571 Post by Gnuxo »

...Does this personal data .sfs record changes to the file system or just the home folder?

How does it know which settings or files go where?

I was under the impression that the personal data .sfs was just the home folder.
*I'm probably wrong.*

neo1967

Installation kopiert keine Dateien

#572 Post by neo1967 »

Hallo,

das neue Lazy Puppy ist wirklich beeindruckend im Live Betrieb.
Leider kopiert es bei der Installation keine Daten, also jedenfalls nicht in das LazyPuppy202 Verzeichnis, siehe Screenshot.
Partition war leer und mit ext3 formatiert.
Eine Idee? Ach ich habe die Updates installiert, die mir vorgeschlagen wurden.... 2 pets...

Gruß & Danke
Attachments
image-2.jpg
NO Files...
(12.75 KiB) Downloaded 1050 times

R-S-H

#573 Post by R-S-H »

neo1967 wrote:Hallo,

das neue Lazy Puppy ist wirklich beeindruckend im Live Betrieb.
Leider kopiert es bei der Installation keine Daten, also jedenfalls nicht in das LazyPuppy202 Verzeichnis, siehe Screenshot.
Partition war leer und mit ext3 formatiert.
Eine Idee? Ach ich habe die Updates installiert, die mir vorgeschlagen wurden.... 2 pets...
Hallo neo1967.

Das passiert, wenn bei der Installation (von CD?) das CD Laufwerk nicht eingebunden (ge-mounted) ist. Beim Installieren und beim Remastern ist es erforderlich, das Startlaufwerk einzubinden - LazY Puppy findet sonst die zu kopierenden Dateien nicht und somit bleibt die Partition bzw. das Verzeichnis leer.

Wenn Du eine manuelle, frugale Installation vornimmst, ist es notwendig (im Gegensatz zu anderen Puppies) ALLE Dateien von der CD zu kopieren - NICHT nur die üblichen drei ! ! !

Und: ich empfehle, KEINE ext Partition zu verwenden!
Gnuxo wrote:...Does this personal data .sfs record changes to the file system or just the home folder?

How does it know which settings or files go where?

I was under the impression that the personal data .sfs was just the home folder.
*I'm probably wrong.*
The user has "to tell" what files go into the Personal Data SFS by just doing a right-click on a file or directory. These files are now marked (which means to put into a list, there are different lists for files and directories). These lists are used to copy the files either into teh running OS or into the Personal Data SFS (when saving). If one wants to add files to the Personal Data SFS manually, he has to edit these lists as well to take effect.

Theoretically it can be used just for files in /root but even on other files as well - by now I didn't have made any further testings on this, so, I can not make promises on that.

We will see...

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

R-S-H

#574 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Here are some good news for the LazY Puppy users that use a save file and want to boot more than the usual 6 sfs files at boot up.

LazY Puppy is prepaired to load up to 64 sfs files at boot up, but I did never found a way, how to get them loaded by the boot manager. I tried everything that comes in mind, but had to give up - unfortunately...

Today, when re-thinking about the work done on the new LazY Puppy adrv-option, I could see it totally clear at my inner eye...

I have posted this already in a related post at the HowTo-Section of the forum, but this is for users of other puppies. For LazY Puppy users it's a lot easier to get this to work.

Ok, do a right-click on the initrd.gz (inside the boot directory of your LazY Puppy Installation) and choose option to edit the initrd.gz. After initrd.gz is extracted, geany comes up with some files opened - just close it!

Go to /root and check for directory init_rd_tmp. If it is there, run the script (create a script and copy/paste this code into the script):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash -a
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Make loop devices 11 to 67 for LazY Puppy
# LazY Puppy is then able to laod 64 sfs files at boot up
# 2013-03-19 RSH for LazY Puppy

for i in 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67;
do
	mknod -m664 /root/Init_rd_tmp/dev/loop$i b 7 $i
done
exit 0

# End 
Go to /root/Init_rd_tmp/dev and look for the loop11 up to loop67 files...

...all loopXX files are created?

Go to /root/Init_rd_tmp/initrd and create the pup_ro10 directory manually.

Make a right-click on /root/Init_rd_tmp and choose option to rebuild the initrd.gz.

Copy the new created initrd.gz in /root to the boot directory of your LazY Puppy Installation (overwrite existing one, backup is already there).

Reboot!

Have fun loading now up to 64 sfs files at boot up with LazY Puppy!

RSH

EDIT:

Check file /etc/rc.d/rc.update for this code:

#v431 added 6 7 8 9
  # LazY Puppy added 10 - 67
  for LAYERNUM in 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67
  do
   [ -f /initrd/pup_ro$LAYERNUM/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin ] && cat /initrd/pup_ro$LAYERNUM/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
   [ -f /initrd/pup_ro$LAYERNUM/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons ] && cat /initrd/pup_ro$LAYERNUM/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons
  done
Last edited by R-S-H on Sat 06 Apr 2013, 05:50, edited 2 times in total.

Gnuxo

#575 Post by Gnuxo »

That affects Lazy Puppy 2.0 users?

R-S-H

#576 Post by R-S-H »

Gnuxo wrote:That affects Lazy Puppy 2.0 users?
Yes, this should work from LazY Puppy 2.0.1 and up...

Note: Information above updated!
Attachments
SFS-Files-loaded-up-to-pup_ro40-at-boot-up.jpg
(118 KiB) Downloaded 923 times

Pelo

Cette distro est un petit bijou !

#577 Post by Pelo »

Lazy Puppy is a jewel ! Nice, Rich, Safe ;
In my opinion the best one since Legacy OS mini.
What a pleasure to use it, i should spend hours and hours looking inside.

the last saviour

#578 Post by the last saviour »

Lieber Herr RSH;
Congratulation for your success with school computer. :-)
I believe the number of LazY student in Germany will markedly increase in the near future.
For the sake of addiction why not add some more games for them?

I've just found that MultiPup3.3 CD/DVD Creator doesn't work at all.

Please tell me how to run this wonderful fractware in Puppy. It's the best of all probably.
http://www.andreas-maschke.de/java/j-wi ... 0.67r3.zip
Danke
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

R-S-H

#579 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.
Pelo wrote:Lazy Puppy is a jewel ! Nice, Rich, Safe ;
In my opinion the best one since Legacy OS mini.
What a pleasure to use it, i should spend hours and hours looking inside.
Thank you very much! :D

But please, do not look into LazY Puppy. The only things you'll find/discover will be:

- I'm not a programmer
- I'm not a Linux Expert
- I'm not a Puppy Linux Expert

It works though...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. Do have a look inside and modify it for your own purposes!
the last saviour wrote:Lieber Herr RSH;
Congratulation for your success with school computer. Smile
I believe the number of LazY student in Germany will markedly increase in the near future.
For the sake of addiction why not add some more games for them?
Ahhhh, NO.

I don't like computer games very much because of the computer-game-addiction of my elder son. In my private version of LazY Puppy I have removed games category completely. Sorry, that's a job the user has to do, if he wants to waste the LazY Puppy for playing games.
the last saviour wrote:I've just found that MultiPup3.3 CD/DVD Creator doesn't work at all.
That's a surprise, because I have already used this. Can you explain please a little more, what doesn't work?
the last saviour wrote:Please tell me how to run this wonderful fractware in Puppy. It's the best of all probably.
http://www.andreas-maschke.de/java/j-wi ... 0.67r3.zip
Danke
Yes.

Download this and store it in the boot directory of your LazY Puppy installation.

After this do a right-click onto the SFS and choose Create a RunScript (or similar, I'm in a German Desktop). Make sure to activate option to copy Icons and Menu Entry (.desktop file) into the running OS. Select the wildfire entry presented in the GUI to create the RunScript as well.

If the RunScript is successfully created go to the Graphics or Favorites Menu and try to run the application from the menu. It should then download a needed dependent SFS (Java) and storing it automatically into your boot directory. After successfully downloaded the dependent SFS will be loaded as well and the WildFire Application should run.

Currently I have more than 40 SFS files loaded, so, I can not tell if these SFS files do include other dependent files (libs etc.). If it won't run on your side, let me know and I will examine this again.

It seems to work here though.

RSH
Attachments
image-4.jpg
(85.12 KiB) Downloaded 769 times

R-S-H

#580 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

WildFire seems to work, but it saves the image in a different color as it is shown inside the application.

Inside the Application it is blue. When rendered and saved, the image is red. If loading into Gimp, the image is green. That's really weird.

If you find out how to render a image in its colors shown in the application, I would appreciate to know this.

Thanks

RSH
Attachments
WildFire-Test02-in-LazYPuppy.jpg
Oringinal (red) after saving again with the Gimp
(68.34 KiB) Downloaded 765 times
WildFire-Test01-in-LazYPuppy.jpg
Re-Colored in GIMP
(52.47 KiB) Downloaded 760 times

R-S-H

#581 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I have to make an addition to this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 125#693125 (Post updated on: 2013-04-06)

There is a small issue when editing the initrd.gz to increase the ability of LazY Puppy to load more than 6 SFS files at boot up. Inside the initrd.gz are 10 loop devices in /dev - but there are only 9 pup_ro directories in /initrd. So, all who made some work on this must edit the initrd.gz again and create the pup_ro10 directory in /initrd manually.

Then everything should be working fine!

RSH

the last saviour

#582 Post by the last saviour »

Lieber Herr RSH;
Thank for JWF.sfs file. It's faster to work in Puppy than Winslow.
JWF only need Java6 to run.

How long did it take for you to make this SFS file?
Do you want to make some more?

The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again. :-(
I think there's something wrong with Puppy while Java running. It often makes the DVDRom run and increase the CPU temp up to 105C. It also happens in browser with javascript enable. After I delete the suspected java file, no strange behavior happened. I guess that some line in some Java script is harmful to Puppy!

Viele dank.
My people are somebody who will move to crowded city because I have promised them the refuge in the big UFO station.
Now I'd found at least 5 aliens who live in Thailand. They are from Triangular constellation.

R-S-H

#583 Post by R-S-H »

Lieber Herr RSH;
Thank for JWF.sfs file. It's faster to work in Puppy than Winslow.
JWF only need Java6 to run.

How long did it take for you to make this SFS file?
Do you want to make some more?
You can do a right-click onto the WildFire SFS and choose 'Add dependencies'. Remove the added Java Dependenciy from list and add your preferred Java SFS file.

It takes mostly a few minutes to build the SFS file plus a few minutes to edit the .desktop file (menu entry), to make sure the icon will be found and to have a german menu entry. So, complete procedure is mostly done in less than 30 minutes.

If you got some links and I could get this files to work in LazY Puppy, I surely would like to make some more SFS files!
The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again.
I've tried a lot with different images using different colors - always the same red image is saved. It looks like it is a negative image. Thanks for the tip. Will try this later tonight.
I think there's something wrong with Puppy while Java running. It often makes the DVDRom run and increase the CPU temp up to 105C. It also happens in browser with javascript enable. After I delete the suspected java file, no strange behavior happened. I guess that some line in some Java script is harmful to Puppy!
Can't say anything on that, except: I did never notice such behavior of a Java SFS file.

Thanks for the reply

RSH

R-S-H

#584 Post by R-S-H »

The rendering problem occured because JWF put the intermediated file in the save folder. But show the one you want in the pop up window. To save this one you MUST MAXIMIZE that window, then click File---Save, and replace that intermediated file. Caution don't minimize this window, otherwise you will waste your time rendering it again.
Yes, this works. Thanks a lot!

I just did not notice there is a menu after rendering the image...

This (JWildFire) is really a nice program. It will increase the number of my own created wallpapers, of course! :)

Gnuxo

#585 Post by Gnuxo »

I haven't been on this laptop for a while, I'm back on Lazy and I decided that I'd best update the flash player.

I downloaded the newest dotpets off these forums and decided it would be quicker that way. But when I click on them, I get an error saying that there's a wrong password or I'm not running as advanced user...

I don't think there's supposed to be a password. And I don't know what it is.
I can't get it to stop asking for one.

I tried making an .sfs from the flashplayer.pet but that doesn't seem to actually install.

I don't know what's going on.

R-S-H

#586 Post by R-S-H »

Gnuxo wrote:I haven't been on this laptop for a while, I'm back on Lazy and I decided that I'd best update the flash player.

I downloaded the newest dotpets off these forums and decided it would be quicker that way. But when I click on them, I get an error saying that there's a wrong password or I'm not running as advanced user...

I don't think there's supposed to be a password. And I don't know what it is.
I can't get it to stop asking for one.

I tried making an .sfs from the flashplayer.pet but that doesn't seem to actually install.

I don't know what's going on.
The message about wrong password or not running in user mode advanced usually happens only if you are running the LazY Puppy in user mode for kids, beginner or intermediary. In menu workstation (below the LazY Puppy Help menu) you can activate the user modes (do activate user mode advanced - if it says, it is already running, activate any other user mode and after this do activate user mode advanced). LazY Puppy usually boots into user mode for advanced users ---> except one did remaster the LazY Puppy in any other user mode or one is using a save file and did shut down with any other user mode activated than advanced.

Did you do something of this?

Btw.: the password is LazYPuppy2, which is needed also for the LazY Puppy Menu Suite. The password file is: /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-user-mode.

If you are using the LP2_Firefox7.sfs and trying to load the new flash player from another sfs file, it wouldn't work because of the flash player included in the LP2_Firefox7.sfs - try to put the new flash player in there (but backup the LP2_Firefox7.sfs first).

Let me know the results, please.

R-S-H

#587 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I don't know if anyone meanwhile has noticed a small issue with the VarioMenu which has been made by SFR and der-schutzhund.

I did decide to put the VarioMenu into LazY Puppy and just made the GUI to configure the VarioMenu comfortably. This small issue is when double clicking WBar Icons for VarioMenu accidentally.

It could destroy the Icon selection and maybe also the wallpaper ---> here is a fix by der-schutzhund to avoid this event.

It is a fake .gz file. Remove the fake .gz, make executable and put it into /usr/local/variomen.

RSH

R-S-H

#588 Post by R-S-H »

Sorry, Gnuxo and others!

The password file is not /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-user-mode

The password file is: /usr/local/new-user-menu/data/puppy-pw

I don't know how this could happen! :lol:

RSH

AndyOpie150

#589 Post by AndyOpie150 »

Thanks for including my wireless adapter cards driver. First time in any Linux distro (Including stock Puppy's). Now I can use WPA instead of just WEP thru ndiswrapper.

Question; Where are the Conky files kept. I need to edit. Take out the graphical cpu monitor and add a network upload and download bar.

Also: The Puppy Space graph/bar doesn't show the true space available on my ext.3 formated 16GB Flash drive (Only showing. just under 1GB). The stock indicator in the task bar does though.

Everything else is ok, except it would be nice if the favorites and task bar diplayed just installed applications on the desktop. Kind of annoying to click on an application only to find it's not installed..

R-S-H

#590 Post by R-S-H »

AndyOpie150 wrote:Thanks for including my wireless adapter cards driver. First time in any Linux distro (Including stock Puppy's). Now I can use WPA instead of just WEP thru ndiswrapper.

Question; Where are the Conky files kept. I need to edit. Take out the graphical cpu monitor and add a network upload and download bar.

Also: The Puppy Space graph/bar doesn't show the true space available on my ext.3 formated 16GB Flash drive (Only showing. just under 1GB). The stock indicator in the task bar does though.

Everything else is ok, except it would be nice if the favorites and task bar diplayed just installed applications on the desktop.
Hi.

Thank you for downloading LazY Puppy! :)

I don't know if it was done by myself to include the your wireless adapter cards driver. Could be included by default in the Lucid528-4, from which LazY Puppy is made of.

The data of the PWidgets is in /root/.pwidgets (which is a hidden directory, click on the "eye" in ROX filer toolbar to shw hidden files), the program itself is in /usr/local/pwidgets. To modify the pwidgets settings run PWidgets from Menu Desktop Settings.

Problems of pwidgets drawing the true data a German user did solve by a small script in /root/Startup executing this script:

if [ "$(which pwidgets)" ];then  ## if pwidgets installed, for updating in fixwidgets
	export UPDATE_SIDEBAR=true
	fixwidgets -wallpaper_setter &
fi
If you are executing LazY Puppy Online Updater (Menu LazY Puppy) it will offer two PET files to update the LazY Puppy. One of theses PET files includes the new Favorites Manager to edit easily the menu entries shown in menu Favorites.
AndyOpie150 wrote:Kind of annoying to click on an application only to find it's not installed..
This is how it is intended to be. Most of the applications shown in the menu are not installed. They are available as SFS files and do download automatically at first use. They download directly to the boot directory (install directory) of LazY Puppy in will be executed right after downloaded. Please, make sure the boot drive (boot partition) is mounted before downloading.

You can use all those programs from SFS without the need to install a program or to use a personal storage file (save file). Loading SFS files manually is not necessary in LazY Puppy because all these applications are executed by a RunScript which does the whole job by clicking the applications menu entry.

LazY Puppy offers currently more than 200 SFS files and also all needed tools to create your own SFS files and RunScripts to run these programs by RunScript as well.

I do have currently 338 SFS files inside my boot directory for the use of 494 programs executed by RunScripts. At home I don't use a save file to 100% !!!

RSH