[Solved] USB keyboard fails first boot after full install

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

[Solved] USB keyboard fails first boot after full install

#1 Post by nubc »

I have booted this Dell Dimension 3100 with Wary 5.1.1 live CD successfully, with full use of USB keyboard and USB mouse. Wary 5.1.1 was successfully full-installed to hard drive, along with Legacy Grub. During the first boot after full install, the keyboard works until the step of selecting, duh, a keyboard, at which point it becomes ineffectual. How do I get around this impass?
Last edited by nubc on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 23:48, edited 3 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

I now have a full install of Slacko 5.3.1 if someone could advise me what to copy over to Wary 5.1.1 in order to pre-configure USB keyboard and USB mouse.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

The driver loading is little different at frugal and full installations .

The code inside the initrd.gz loads USB drivers forcibly .

This code is missing in full installations .

Because of having to decide between internal drives and usb drives since the kernels are configured as SATA only -- not IDE & SATA anymore , the USB detection of the kernel gets omitted at the point of "Loading kernel modules ..." .
The USB modules do come after this part before "Loading user selected modules ..." .

[eou]hci_hcd should be loaded thought before "Loading kernel modules ..." .

///

It might be that all needed modules are detected and properly loaded but you confused some inputs in the Mouse and keyboard wizard .

:?: :P

nubc

#4 Post by nubc »

What do I enter at prompt to call the keyboard/mouse wizard, which is named "input wizard" in Setup. I didn't confuse any inputs. The installation (full) is flawed for this version. Surely, someone has already encountered this catch 22.

I tried substituting /etc/X11/xorg.conf from the live CD session to the full install. This didn't work.

nubc

#5 Post by nubc »

Okay, Wary 5.2 does not have this issue, so I should be able to substitute any number of config files to make Wary 5.1.1 complete the first boot.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf0
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.
/boot/grub/menu.lst

What else could I substitute? What shouldn't I substitute?

pemasu

#6 Post by pemasu »

HID and USB core drivers are compiled as built-in to the kernel not as modules in recent Puppies. Mostly. To fix the boot time usb device detection. I have done so also with 2.6.39 and 3.1 kernels.

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02342
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02388

Code: Select all

CONFIG_USB_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_EHCI=y
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_HID_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_HID=y
# USB Input Devices
CONFIG_USB_HID=y

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

The first of the two PET downloads is not available, as it gives the error, 404 Not Found. I installed the second PET from sda1 root, but the first boot still chokes on the keyboard layout (country). As far as I can tell, installing the PET had no effect. I am wondering what I might do with the code you provide. Do I append grub with the code? Please be more specific in your instructions.

Karl Godt

#8 Post by Karl Godt »

I am not sure : The boot directly to desktop is not implemented for wary i think . It might be the old blue dialog screen for selecting something if irc .

Are you able to just hit enter ? The default should be US keyboard layout i think .

What i additionally could think of is that the USB drivers from the initrd.gz did not get copied to the installation somehow
OR that you have to run dmesg-FULL to update the modprobe config files -for the drivers in initrd.gz are usually .ko.gz ones .
The /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit has code to check if depmod should be run but busybox depmod which would only create three files not a dozen like depmod-FULL .

I think it should be possible to switch to tty2 by Cont+Alt+F2 (Alt+F2) IF the keyboard accepts input at all .

You describe you can use the keyboard for scrolling the blue/grey dialog screen and hit enter and after that nothing works anymore ?

If so i would switch to another of the three consoles , login and run

busybox depmod
depmod
depmod-FULL 
elspci -l 
lsmod
Another possibility i could think of is this :
Your machine is slow and because the kernel module driver loading is happening in the background some relevant drivers get loaded while your are at the blue keyboard dialog screen and confuse some things .

The code for this blue dialog is in /etc/rc.d/rc.country and there are several commands executed and some of them are busybox commands . BK had compiled several busybox this northern hemisphere spring( 2011) , changed much in initrd.gz and changed depmod-FULL to depmod .

There also is the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG where i would add usbhid to the ADDLIST like

ADDLIST=' ehci_hcd uhci_hcd ohci_hcd usbhid '
so they get forcibly loaded if things had not been able to translate the kernel MODALIAS by /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe to autoload the driver .

nubc

#9 Post by nubc »

Thanks for your suggestions, Karl. This Dell Dimension 3100 desktop isn't a slow machine, it's a 2.8 GHz P4 with 800 MHz FSB and 1.0 GB DDR ram. I'll probably try the simplest of your suggestions first, adding usbhid to ADDLIST.

During boot, there is a blue dialog, presumably the old one, and if I opt for prompt, I get GRUB> at the prompt. I'm not sure what you mean by "another of the three consoles." How do I get to these consoles?

Yes, when the Keyboard Layout page is presented, the keyboard is completely non-functional, and gives no input.

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

desktop isn't a slow machine, it's a 2.8 GHz P4 with 800 MHz FSB and 1.0 GB DDR ram
I had a similar tower asus board P4 2.8GHz 1GB Ram , not too young nvidia card and it ran fine with Puppies kernels 2.6.30.5 and later .

The USB keyboard came up after the drivers got loaded . That board had IDE controllers for the HDD so i changed the part in /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe that prevented the usb loading because to determine internal and external HDDs .

I had to gunzip the usb drivers from the initrd.gz today to make an older dpup by iguleder working cos depmod andor modprobe from debian had not been compiled with gz support i guess >

WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_wait_scan.ko.gz: Exec format error

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` -name "*.gz" -exec gunzip {} \;
depmod
modprobe -v ehci_hcd
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
modprobe -v uhci_hcd
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/kernel/drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.ko
lsmod | grep usb
usbhid 18009 0
usbserial 21522 1 option
usb_storage 29717 0
91279 7 usbhid,uhci_hcd,option,usbserial,usb_storage,ehci_hcd

The FIRST BLUE SCREEN everyone encounters is The Grub Menu which i did not mean .
shinobars newest grub4dos is mixed with green iirc .
The Grub Menu defaults to colors
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
in /boot/grub/menu.lst

# "FG/BG". FG and BG are symbolic color names.
# A symbolic color name must be one of these: black, blue, green,
# cyan, red, magenta, brown, light-gray; dark-gray, light-blue,
# light-green, light-cyan, light-red, light-magenta, yellow and
# white.

just like the /bin/dialog binary .
I am not aware of several input consoles for grub especially for grub legacy .
Attachments
rc.country_not_to_dev_console.png
replaced '> /dev/console' with '#>/dev/console' for showing here
(72.39 KiB) Downloaded 1009 times

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

I'll get around to continue this project during the holidays, but I want to make this point. I have installed Wary Puppy 5.2 and it booted to desktop without a hitch after a full install. So my question is, how hard can it be, to get Wary Puppy 5.1.1 to boot up first time? What is different between these two versions?

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

Wary Puppy 5.0 released
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02057
Wary is built with an old kernel (currently 2.6.31.14) and X.org 7.3 so as to provide better drivers for the older hardware

Wary Puppy 5.1 final
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02149
Wary Puppy 5.1 is a bugfix and minor upgrade of Wary 5.0.
The default kernel is now the long-term-supported 2.6.32.28.

Wary Puppy 5.1.1 released
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02158
Wary Puppy 5.1.1 has been released. This is a very minor bugfix of Wary 5.1, which was announced here:

Service Pack for Wary 5.1.1
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02166
This Service Pack has those three PETs, plus upgraded /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, /usr/sbin/pupdial_init_hotpluggable.

Wary 5.1.1.57 (5.1.2 rc1)
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02299
Some extremely important bug fixes since 5.1.1.53, read my blog. New 2.6.32-40 kernel

Wary Puppy 5.2 released
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02543
This is a massive upgrade relative to the 5.1.x series. All of the base packages were recompiled in T2.

Wary Puppy 5.2.2
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02602
This is a minor upgrade and bug-fix release of Wary 5.2
Reading this i would think of changes in /etc/rc.d directory primarily plus the scripts that are used in these scripts like /sbin/pup_event_* OR the above mentioned /usr/sbin/pupdial_init_hotpluggable which should work for hotplugable usb modems .

Tiny but possible : the changed kernels with their drivers include wrong MODALIASES for some usb hardware ,

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

That's odd and strangely unsatisfactory. I parked this computer for a few days, then boot it up, expecting the USB problem, and it finishes the first boot. Of course, I can't duplicate the results, hence it's unsatisfactory.

A little later now. I couldn't get the vid driver to do 1024x768 resolution, so I changed it to 'Intel' and then back again to 'i810' (915GV chipset). Changing Xorg like this caused a change in the booting sequence where USB detection is counted off 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.... and when desktop was reached both USB keyboard and USB mouse were dead. So now I am back to editing the full install from a live CD.

Changing ADDLIST did nothing except cause the boot to go to a prompt, with dead keyboard and mouse. However, Ctrl+Alt+F2 brought up a "puppypc login:" (including password prompt), but I couldn't come up with the right combo to get past this login. For future reference
puppypc login: root
password: woofwoof

Rebooted, and got an operational tty1 prompt. I entered the sequence of code Karl recommends, ie

busybox depmod
depmod
depmod-FULL
elspci -l
lsmod
I reached desktop using 'xwin', with an error:
Error in '/root/Choices/ROX-FILER/PuppyPin' file in line 2:
"Missing ',' after icon label"
The message suggests that I change something in Options in order to save the file again. The problem is, there are no icons on the desktop except the detected drives (floppy, sda1). No wallpaper, no icons, just a white blank desktop. Had to call Seamonkey from console (or menu tree). The error message says there is a missing comma in line 2, but I don't know where to put this comma. I tried placing a comma, saving, and then rebooting, but the blank desktop condition remains the same, and the inserted comma is not there. In short, PuppyPin was seriously borked, abridged to two lines.

I copied PuppyPin from live CD session, and now desktop has icons and wallpaper.
The following command may restore/refresh desktop icons as well. (unverified)

rox -p=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 025#591025

I took the time to verify that suggested ADDLIST code is necessary for keyboard and mouse to be detected during boot.
Karl wrote:
There also is the /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG where i would add usbhid to the ADDLIST like

ADDLIST=' ehci_hcd uhci_hcd ohci_hcd usbhid '
so they get forcibly loaded if things had not been able to translate the kernel MODALIAS by /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe to autoload the driver.

Thanks, Karl

Karl Godt

#14 Post by Karl Godt »

No wallpaper, no icons, just a white blank desktop
Had this too doing a manual full install without using the puppyinstaller on slacko .

I could solve this with

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
and

gtk-update-icon-cache
from another of these background terminals

I had also problems with autoloading of modules but in my case the /lib/modules/2.6.37.6/initrd folder was missing which is the marker for /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to
A) gunzip modules from the initrd.gz
which was not necessary in my case because the slackware /sbin/modprobe is compiled with zlib support opposed to debian/ubuntu
so the USB drivers copied from the initrd.gz loaded fine

B) run depmod !!
The modules.dep files in /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION directory from the sfs are somewhat 1,000 lines whereas after depmod had run are 10,000+ lines containing modaliases for the drivers .
After a reboot the modules i am used to got loaded .

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

On the same Dell desktop computer, I performed a clean full install using another hard drive. Before first boot I appended ADDLIST as above, and the first boot went smoothly, without a need to run "depmod" code. I had to change Xorg from 'i810' to 'intel' and back again to 'i810' to get a desired 1024x768 resolution, but doing so did not mess up USB keyboard/mouse boot detection.