How to recover from broken hard disk?

Booting, installing, newbie
gundul3l3k

How to recover from broken hard disk?

#1 Post by gundul3l3k »

Incase my hardisk is broken and I want to get my all file and aplication isntalled ,how can I get them all without reinstall new puppy ?(full install).Any one could give me totorial howto remaster it.There is isomaster aplication,,whch file/folder i have to remaster,detailed step by step ,please thanks

maik.murks

#2 Post by maik.murks »

If you like to remaster your Puppy there is no isomaster needed, since there is a ready-to-use functionality called "Remaster Puppy live-CD". As far as I know you can find this either at menu --> setup or menu --> system.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

Sylvander

Re: How to recover from broken hard disk?

#3 Post by Sylvander »

gundul3l3k wrote:In case my hardisk is broken and I want to get my all file and aplication isntalled ,how can I get them all without reinstall new puppy ?(full install).
1. It's by far the easiest to recover when you DON'T use a full install to the internal HDD.
Much easier when you boot from an optical disk and use a pupsave file.
(a) In which case, all you need do is [at various handy/suitable/sensible points in time as you go forward] make yet another backup copy of the pupsave file to some handy storage location of your choice .

(b) I normally use "X File Explorer" [Xfe] to do the copying....
And to restore the pupsave, I boot to a 2nd Puppy that doesn't use the pupsave of the 1st Puppy...
And use Xfe to delete the original pupsave, and copy the backup pupsave into its place.

(c) You should always have a Flash Drive holding the pupsave[s] for at least one type of Puppy.
Then if/when your internal HDD fails, you can use any chosen Puppy CD-RW->[and its pupsave file on the Flash Drive] to do the work necessary to bring your new HDD into use.
The pupsave on a Flash Drive loads slightly-[but noticeably]-slower than a pupsave on an internal HDD.
Hence, under normal circumstances, I use pupsaves held on an internal HDD->[the faster the better].

2. If you insist on using a full install to an internal HDD:
(a) You could/should install to its own dedicated [ext3] partition.

(b) The you could use Xfe [or even better use snap2] to copy/backup the entire [folder/file] contents of the Puppy partition, to a suitably named folder in a handy location of your choosing.
You can use Xfe to restore a snap2 backup [all the folders and files] to a new [ext3] partition on the new internal HDD.

(c) Being a relative Linux and Puppy beginner, I don't know how to advise you to set up a new copy of GRUB.
I'd be inclined to install it to a Floppy Disk originally...
So if the internal HDD goes wrong...
I'd still have the working GRUB floppy.
[I still have my "GRUB Boot Loader" floppy even though I long ago eliminated the Puppy full install]
It might only need tweaking to work with the [location of the] new partition on the new internal HDD.