Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 27 Mar 2017, 18:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
GetFlash install Flashplayer
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 9 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Author Message
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 20:29    Post subject:  

@Sailor Enceladus

Thanks for the examples.
Well facebook is certainly not a consideration for me, but I see that soundcloud could be worthwhile.

Can one not just download the .tar.gz from Adobe as shown in the screenshot below?
GetFlashSite.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.79 KB
 Viewed   1103 Time(s)

GetFlashSite.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 993

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 20:52    Post subject:  

@Pete: I didn't realize that the top option in getflash actually contacts Adobe's site until it stopped working (stopping me from selecting any of the 4 options) and then digging into its scripts to figure out why, before that I always thought some kind soul downloaded the most recent one and repackaged it as a pet for us. You're thinking too much like a computer pro and not a regular user with your "browsing to Adobe's site and trying to find the correct Flash version and extracting the tar.gz". Wink

edit: Plus some Puppy users like the older versions. 10.3.183.90 and 11.2.202.228 won't nag you to upgrade, unlike ~335+ Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 2406
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 21:37    Post subject:  

Hi Pete/Sailor.

As I said before, don't get me wrong. I hate Flash/Pepper as much as anyone.....probably more so. And yes, the day when the web is 100% running on HTML5 can't come soon enough for me!

However, my take on the matter is this. You must remember that the Puppy user-base is way larger than is represented on these Forums. Many of these people probably read the Forums, even if they don't join and contribute. Most of them are ex-Windows users, who are used to GUIs, etc., and everything being point & click.

The simple reason I spend so much time and effort bringing methods to the community's attention for keeping Flash and Pepper up-to-date, is simple. While horrors like Flash are still hanging around like a bad smell, I honestly believe that it would be remiss of the community not to ensure that the means for updating does at least exist. And although yes, you can get up-to-date Pepper by the simple expedient of installing a new version of Chrome, this option doesn't exist for everybody, especially those still running 32-bit systems. By producing the series of PepperFlash .pets, I feel I'm doing my bit to at least try to make sure that the members of our community are a wee bit more secure, by d/loading something which takes but a single click to install. How much more simple can you make it?

(Okay, I know some people are bone-idle, and wouldn't even lift a finger to stop themselves being run over by a 10-ton truck... Laughing )

And in the case of Geoffrey's Auto-Updater, that single click (plus a couple more to actually set it do everything automatically after that) only has to be done once. Doesn't get much better than that.

Examples of where Flash is still in regular use. Try educational establishments, for a start. The 'IT department' for many of these consists of maybe a couple of bored members of staff, half-heartedly poking around in the system's guts maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Doesn't inspire confidence, does it? For such as these, Flash is a well-established platform; switching to HTML5 throughout the system (and un-installing Flash), while not hard in itself, is more than these folks want to contemplate.....especially if several hundred machines have to be be individually 'fettled'.

Oh, it'll come, sooner or later. For folks like ourselves, who enjoy poking around in the system's innards, it'll definitely be sooner. For Joe Public, probably later.

Much later...

sfs has already worked me out a script for auto-updating Pepper:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=913162#913162

All I need to do now is to fit a GUI around it.....and then we'll have totally automatic update & installation of both the little buggers covered. Very Happy Which is something I've wanted to do in Puppy for longer than I care to remember.....


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 22:01    Post subject:  

@Mike Walsh

So you are aiding and abetting Adobe in spreading their malware. Laughing

Only kidding, I suspect your efforts have helped many Windows "refugees" get flash going.

Are you then saying that the reason you decided to create an easier way to install flash is because many users would not know if they are running 32 or 64 bit Puppies and would also not know to choose the .tar.gz over say a rpm or deb?

Just trying to confirm if going to the Adobe site and selecting the .tar.gz and installing it would work perfectly or are there Puppy "peculiarities" that would stop it from working properly with say firefox?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 22:05    Post subject:  

@Sailor Enceladus

If you look at the two files in the hidden directory (.getflash), they make reference to a script in ~/Startup/getflash_auto that gets flash once you are online.

First thing I do when I install a Puppy is get rid of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 993

PostPosted: Fri 15 Jul 2016, 22:30    Post subject:  

@Pete: I don't have your .getflash folder and the Adobe tar.gz you speak of has no installer for me (just a bunch of garbage you don't need, and then the libflashplayer.so which is not even in the right place, it should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins!).

The tar.gz method in your screenshot is even worse than I thought! Laughing
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   62.69 KB
 Viewed   1019 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 02:42    Post subject:  

@Sailor Enceladus

Well that does look pretty crappy. Shocked
I have never used flash with Puppy, was just curious as how to install it, the most obvious way (to me anyway) is to go to the website and download it.

I suspected that there may be a problem due to Puppies uniqueness, hence my previous question to Mike if this would work.

EDIT:

Found this:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/libflashplayer

Quote:

Package option
Via software package: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
download the .tar.gz file
decompress it to extract its content:

tar xfv install_flash_player*.tar.gz

replace any existing file at /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
re-start the Web browser


Looks easy enough.

EDIT 2:

Did exactly as above, soundcloud working.
Slacko 6.3.0 32bit with Firefox 38.4.0
What I like about downloading directly from the site is, it picks up the O.S. (including 32 or 64 bit) and browser type.
Select the .tar.gz, uncompress libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (can even do it in the GUI for the Windows "types"), restart web browser, done.

If someone can't do that, then they should be banished to a world where notepad, paint and Internet Explorer are the only options. Very Happy

In case anyone is interested, below the list of dependencies for the libflashplayer which were all present and accounted for on my system.
Windows people look away now.

Code:

        linux-gate.so.1 (0xb7747000)
   libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xb6598000)
   libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb6461000)
   libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb644f000)
   libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb63f3000)
   librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb63e9000)
   libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0xb63df000)
   libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xb63d5000)
   libssl3.so => /usr/lib/libssl3.so (0xb638b000)
   libsmime3.so => /usr/lib/libsmime3.so (0xb6364000)
   libnss3.so => /usr/lib/libnss3.so (0xb623a000)
   libnssutil3.so => /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so (0xb6212000)
   libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0xb620e000)
   libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0xb6209000)
   libnspr4.so => /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (0xb61ca000)
   libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb61b0000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb61ab000)
   libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb5d41000)
   libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb5c92000)
   libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c71000)
   libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c5d000)
   libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0xb5c3b000)
   libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c2e000)
   libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0xb5af4000)
   libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0xb5aaa000)
   libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb5a1a000)
   libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb59e1000)
   libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb5992000)
   libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb598e000)
   libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb5860000)
   libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb581e000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb5692000)
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7748000)
   libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb5671000)
   libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb566e000)
   libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb5668000)
   libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb5660000)
   libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib/libuuid.so.1 (0xb565b000)
   libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb5641000)
   libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xb563c000)
   libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb5626000)
   libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0xb5623000)
   libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xb5613000)
   libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0xb5609000)
   libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0xb5577000)
   libicule.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicule.so.51 (0xb5525000)
   libicuuc.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.51 (0xb53d4000)
   libicudata.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicudata.so.51 (0xb3e88000)
   libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb3da0000)
   libXcomposite.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcomposite.so.1 (0xb3d9d000)
   libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXdamage.so.1 (0xb3d9a000)
   libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0xb3d13000)
   libxcb-shm.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0 (0xb3d10000)
   libX11-xcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libX11-xcb.so.1 (0xb3d0d000)
   libxcb-render.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-render.so.0 (0xb3d04000)
   libgio-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 (0xb3b9d000)
   libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb3b83000)
   libpng14.so.14 => /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14 (0xb3b58000)
   libbz2.so.1 => /lib/libbz2.so.1 (0xb3b46000)
   libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xb3b1f000)
   libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libffi.so.6 (0xb3b19000)
   libEGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (0xb3afc000)
   libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb3a9c000)
   libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb3a80000)
   libxcb-dri2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-dri2.so.0 (0xb3a7b000)
   libxcb-xfixes.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xfixes.so.0 (0xb3a73000)
   libxcb-shape.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-shape.so.0 (0xb3a70000)
   libudev.so.0 => /lib/libudev.so.0 (0xb3a61000)
   libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0xb3a55000)
   libglapi.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglapi.so.0 (0xb3a36000)
   libxcb-glx.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-glx.so.0 (0xb3a1e000)
   libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb3a19000)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 2406
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 05:09    Post subject:  

Morning, Pete.

Pete wrote:
@Mike Walsh

So you are aiding and abetting Adobe in spreading their malware. Laughing

Only kidding, I suspect your efforts have helped many Windows "refugees" get flash going.

Are you then saying that the reason you decided to create an easier way to install flash is because many users would not know if they are running 32 or 64 bit Puppies and would also not know to choose the .tar.gz over say a rpm or deb?


Essentially, yes. Okay, for the 'computer-literate' among us, it's a snap to download the tar.gz, and extract the one bit we want to its correct location .....but most of Joe Public don't even know what type of OS they have, much less have any interest in what goes on 'under the hood'.

Pete wrote:
I suspected that there may be a problem due to Puppies uniqueness, hence my previous question to Mike if this would work.


That is a big part of the problem. Hence, making the installation of the damn thing as easy as possible..!

You're right about the d/l from Adobe's Download page detecting the correct type of OS. Since Geoff's Auto-Updater d/ls from Adobe, it too detects the correct type of download. I have it running in both 32- and 64-bit Pups, and it works fine in every single one, installing the correct version depending on OS. Smile

Don't get me wrong; I like fiddling around with my system as much as any on this site; I'm a natural-born 'tinkerer'. Always have been. But even I like to automate as much of the humdrum, 'essential' stuff as possible.

(Flash only being 'essential' in the sense that if it must be on my system, I want it as up-to-date as I can keep it. Which kinda goes without saying!)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Flash is one of the very few items of software that I'm fanatical about keeping up-to-date. I've had systems 'bricked' in the past through Flash 'exploits', before I became more tech-literate about what makes these black magic boxes of ours tick.

Most software, 'If it works...' I don't update for the sake of it. Only when I can actually see a benefit in doing so. With Flash (of whichever flavour), it's a necessity.


Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 16 Jul 2016, 05:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 05:26    Post subject:  

Morning Mike

OK, understood.
Well I have learnt several things from this thread:

1) I'm not the only one that hates flash, but soundcloud is a nice site.

2) The amount of effort you and others have put into simplifying
flash installation for people used to Windows is a good thing and so is the
fact that people are at least considering and trying other OS'es.

3) There is more than one way to install flash, options are always good.

4) Since installing flash consists of only one file, it's easy to keep it laying about and thus no need for repeat downloads for several machines.
Pity Adobe does not allow one to host just the .so on a web site.
Would make things much easier.

Can't wait for more widespread adoption of HTMl 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Sailor Enceladus

Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 993

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 06:36    Post subject:  

Pete wrote:
In case anyone is interested, below the list of dependencies for the libflashplayer which were all present and accounted for on my system.
Windows people look away now.

Code:

        linux-gate.so.1 (0xb7747000)
   libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xb6598000)
   libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb6461000)
   libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb644f000)
   libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXt.so.6 (0xb63f3000)
   librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb63e9000)
   libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0xb63df000)
   libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xb63d5000)
   libssl3.so => /usr/lib/libssl3.so (0xb638b000)
   libsmime3.so => /usr/lib/libsmime3.so (0xb6364000)
   libnss3.so => /usr/lib/libnss3.so (0xb623a000)
   libnssutil3.so => /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so (0xb6212000)
   libplds4.so => /usr/lib/libplds4.so (0xb620e000)
   libplc4.so => /usr/lib/libplc4.so (0xb6209000)
   libnspr4.so => /usr/lib/libnspr4.so (0xb61ca000)
   libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb61b0000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb61ab000)
   libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb5d41000)
   libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb5c92000)
   libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c71000)
   libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c5d000)
   libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0xb5c3b000)
   libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0xb5c2e000)
   libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0xb5af4000)
   libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0xb5aaa000)
   libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xb5a1a000)
   libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb59e1000)
   libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb5992000)
   libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb598e000)
   libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb5860000)
   libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb581e000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb5692000)
   /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7748000)
   libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb5671000)
   libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb566e000)
   libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb5668000)
   libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xb5660000)
   libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib/libuuid.so.1 (0xb565b000)
   libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xb5641000)
   libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xb563c000)
   libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb5626000)
   libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0xb5623000)
   libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xb5613000)
   libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0xb5609000)
   libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0xb5577000)
   libicule.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicule.so.51 (0xb5525000)
   libicuuc.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.51 (0xb53d4000)
   libicudata.so.51 => /usr/lib/libicudata.so.51 (0xb3e88000)
   libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb3da0000)
   libXcomposite.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcomposite.so.1 (0xb3d9d000)
   libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXdamage.so.1 (0xb3d9a000)
   libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0xb3d13000)
   libxcb-shm.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-shm.so.0 (0xb3d10000)
   libX11-xcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libX11-xcb.so.1 (0xb3d0d000)
   libxcb-render.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-render.so.0 (0xb3d04000)
   libgio-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 (0xb3b9d000)
   libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb3b83000)
   libpng14.so.14 => /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14 (0xb3b58000)
   libbz2.so.1 => /lib/libbz2.so.1 (0xb3b46000)
   libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xb3b1f000)
   libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libffi.so.6 (0xb3b19000)
   libEGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libEGL.so.1 (0xb3afc000)
   libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb3a9c000)
   libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb3a80000)
   libxcb-dri2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-dri2.so.0 (0xb3a7b000)
   libxcb-xfixes.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xfixes.so.0 (0xb3a73000)
   libxcb-shape.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-shape.so.0 (0xb3a70000)
   libudev.so.0 => /lib/libudev.so.0 (0xb3a61000)
   libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0xb3a55000)
   libglapi.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglapi.so.0 (0xb3a36000)
   libxcb-glx.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-glx.so.0 (0xb3a1e000)
   libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0xb3a19000)

Interesting. It looks like Slacko 6.3 has two copies of many libraries, in both /usr/lib/firefox and /usr/lib (libssl3.so, libsmime3.so, libnss3.so, libnssutil3.so, libplds3.so, libplc4.so, libnspr4.so). Even without the ones in /usr/lib, ldd seems to pass for me and work, even though they're not identical. I'll have to try more addons and see if it breaks anything having just the firefox ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jul 2016, 06:50    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:

Quote:

Interesting. It looks like Slacko 6.3 has two copies of many libraries....


Bloatware, I tell you, bloatware. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Howler


Joined: 31 Jan 2013
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2016, 08:26    Post subject:  

Ive read all the above recent comments and Im still not clear how to put Flash on my new installation (Slacko v6 frugal) since Getflash can no longer find the right URL.Sure I can get the tar file from Adobe. If this was Slackware, I think I could then untar it and everything would be in the right places, but with Puppy Im not sure what to do. I am a Windows user, it's hard to escape the thing, but I do have a bit of experience with Linux, and Im not there yet.

Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2016, 08:36    Post subject:  

@Howler

The way I did it was I went to the Adobe download site using the web browser (Firefox) in my Puppy distro.
The site will automatically pick up your web browser type, OS and if it's 32 or 64 bits and present you with some options.

Download the 64bit (x86_64) .tar.gz one if your OS is 64 bit and vice-versa
Remember where you downloaded it to.
Go to that directory.
Click on the file and Xarchive will open.
Click once on the file called libflashplayer.so (all the other file are not required)
Then click on extract.
You can extract it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (assuming you are using Firefox)
or you can extract it to the default directory Xarchive offers then manually move it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
Restart the web browser.
Done.

EDIT:

Just FYI, think of libflashplayer.so as the Linux equivalent of a Windows DLL.
A library that adds the flash functionality to your web browser in this case.

Windows calls libs DLLs (Dynamically Linked Libraries) and the equivalent in Linux are SO's (Shared Objects).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Howler


Joined: 31 Jan 2013
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2016, 10:13    Post subject:  

@Pete,

Thanks very much. I followed your instructions. I havnt had an opportunity to use Flash yet under this new installation, but Flash is now appearing in Firefox's list of plugins. All quite simple, if you know how. Didnt even need to use the command line. All done in the GUI.

Cheers, Ian.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Pete


Joined: 02 Mar 2014
Posts: 670

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2016, 10:28    Post subject:  

No worries, glad you got it sorted.
As long as you used the correct version for your OS (32 or 64 bit), then it's pretty straight forward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 9 of 11 [158 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1902s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0180s) ][ GZIP on ]