seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,
snd_rawmidi
snd_timer 11986 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 3601 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_
seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,
snd_seq_midi_event
snd 30859 10 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97
_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd

there are several more instances of "oss" mentioned....but not once have I seen "alsa" listed anywhere
however alsa mixer is installed on in Puppy ....I have yet to get and sound and I have set the volume controls several times.....each time I boot as the settings are always lost
with all the references to "oss" should I not be running an oss mixer....or am I looking in the wrong direction....my real question is: "has anyone ever been able to get sound in Linux on one of these machines? if so I would like to know how it was accomplished"....help would be nice....but after perusing the various forums I fear I am on a quest for fire

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

Given the specifications of that machine, you might have better luck with Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5.
And it's also a good candidate for Wary.

izezi

#3 Post by izezi »

I got sound on my Gateway Solo 1450 using Wary, it had basically the same soundcard setup.

I'd be more specific about the soundcard but it went to laptop heaven early this morning. :cry:

mister_mm

#4 Post by mister_mm »

to be honest I did not expect help...I have never been able to find a solution to this problem online....i think the modules written for this soundcard are bad...and over the years nothing has ever been done to fix the problem...look at the internet to back me up....linux and the linux community has always been lax in their code for modules (drivers)...i have played with linux since mandrake 8.00 and always there are issues....simply put if there is a module why has it never worked?.....i expect one has to write the code to install hardware...far beyond my own ability....i was hoping for a simple solution however i think there is no real help to be garnered here

izezi

#5 Post by izezi »

mister_mm wrote:to be honest I did not expect help...I have never been able to find a solution to this problem online....i think the modules written for this soundcard are bad...and over the years nothing has ever been done to fix the problem...look at the internet to back me up....linux and the linux community has always been lax in their code for modules (drivers)...i have played with linux since mandrake 8.00 and always there are issues....simply put if there is a module why has it never worked?.....i expect one has to write the code to install hardware...far beyond my own ability....i was hoping for a simple solution however i think there is no real help to be garnered here

Well I hate to rain on your parade, but I got sound out of Wary on my 12 year old Gateway Solo and with PC-BSD too.

mister_mm

#6 Post by mister_mm »

ok izezi...did this happen out of the box? i would like to know just how you made this thing work...if you don't mind ...

mister_mm

#7 Post by mister_mm »

izezi...as much as i have enjoyed running unixes over the years...i dare not think bsd will run on this old sucka ...i only have 160 mgs of ram...the max this old girl will handle

izezi

#8 Post by izezi »

It was a Maestro soundcard and both Wary puppy 5.2 and PC-BSD 1.5.1 both ran sound out of the box.

FreeBSD 9.0 will run on a minimum of 64MB RAM, not to include X.

8.x and earlier claimed to run on only 24MB RAM, if you want to give it a shot. :)

In any case, good luck.

rokytnji

#9 Post by rokytnji »

Hmmm.
PCI ID Works? Vendor Device Driver Kernel

11028938 Yes Creative Labs Ectiva EV1938 snd-ens1371 v2.6.25-
From

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Gateway/Solo+2150

shows it works out of the box with a debian 2.6.25 kernel on up.

Barrys comments in Wary thread

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 2&start=75

If this was my laptop. I wound concentrate on the snd-ens1371 module/driver. Which your lsmod failed to show installed. :oops: Oops. My bad. Yes it shows in lsmod at top of report. Says it is used by 0 though. I like it better when code tags are used in posting readouts. Easier to read for me. No coffee in me yet plus early early morning here.

I am Leaving this thread with this link

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0159956439 ... gsc.page=1

izezi

#10 Post by izezi »

While my beloved Solo may be gone, it's not forgotten...

Here's a link to the thread I posted when I was trying Wary out for the first time where I talk about it recognizing all my hardware "right off the bat" and a screenshot of it I uploaded where I just happened to be listening to pupRadio on it. :)

mister_mm

#11 Post by mister_mm »

to all those who took the time to reply to my question I thank you....well the sound problem was solved by installing Wary Puppy...I burned the iso tossed in in the old box and when it started I heard the "woof woof" wave track...I was elated to say the least...so I installed to the hardrive...configured grub....and I am playing a cd at the moment...now I will take the old girl somewhere with wifi and see if I can get that configured...wish me luck....hey thanks again all...mm

darkcity

#12 Post by darkcity »

good luck indeed, nice to get a happy audio story 8)

izezi

#13 Post by izezi »

Glad it worked out for you.

I'm going to take mine apart and see if I can get it working again. :)