no sound with new pc intel 6 series / C200 chipset

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Pelo

Let them a chance to listen music

#31 Post by Pelo »

Hello! Now that i have slept and i am cool !
I am using lucid 520 at the moment :
Attachments
toutou.png
il est muet, french Puppy is deaf and dumb
(58.05 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 31 May 2016, 04:57, edited 2 times in total.

vtpup

#32 Post by vtpup »

Pelo, please run this in a terminal window and post the output:

Code: Select all

echo "Sound cards recognized by the system:"; lspci -nn | grep --color=none '\[04[80][13]\]'; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel modules: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done; echo "Sound cards recognized by ALSA, and activated:"; lspci -nn | grep '\[04[80][13]\]' | while read line; do lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep -e 'Kernel drivers in use: ..*' -e '\[04[80][13]\]' | grep --color=none -F "$line"; done 
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

ilanrab

#33 Post by ilanrab »

vtpup wrote:re. 5.25......5.28 Lucid caused problems with wirelesss (card unrecognized) as have all puppies I've tried prior to a 3.xkernel version. I doubt 5.25 will address the wireless problem, but I may try it out of curiosity to just check sound support. If it works it could point to the culprit in 5.28.
I ran into some wireless issues with 5.2.5. I was able to solve 99% of them by installing, and using Frisbee.
Now, every few days, the system loses the capability to find the wireless networks in the immediate area. A simple reboot solves that problem.
[b]ir[/b]

ilanrab

#34 Post by ilanrab »

darkcity wrote:It could be instructive to know what audio hardware is in the computers with no sound or disappearing sound.
if it is the same chipset as vtpup and mbiernat it might be worth them trying 5.25
:twisted:
Audio Adapters:
Dell Netbook: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
Dell Latitude D400 laptop: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

I hope that helps.
Cheers,
[b]ir[/b]

vtpup

#35 Post by vtpup »

I believe that the so-called lupu 525 "fix" may be completely unrelated and irrelevant because it does not appear to apply to the sound chips referenced in the title of this forum thread.

People, if you do not have an Intel 6 series / C200 chipset, please do not post your own computer sound problems and/or solutions here. It is only confusing the issue.

The basic problem with these chips as I've just shown is that they are too new for older Asound drivers.

If you have older chips, what works for you will not work for these chips.

darkcity

#36 Post by darkcity »

Interesting that 5.28 still has ALSA 1.0.21 - is it possible to upgrade ALSA without upgrading the 2.6.33.2 kernel?

There are two more choices for Lucid type Puppies with newer kernels-

Polarpup 005 - kernel 2.6.39.3, ALSA 1.0.24 http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Polarpup

and

Threeheaded dog 5.29 - Kernel 2.6.37.6, ALSA 1.0.23 http://puppylinux.org/wikka/puppy529

:twisted:

vtpup

#37 Post by vtpup »

Darkcity, here is an Ubuntu script for upgrade of Asound:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

I ran it but got stuck at compile time when it complained that I didn't have full kernel headers.

However I had installed devx and kernel headers .sfs So I was stuck at that point -- not sure why it should error.

Tough to be so close, yet so far on Lupu 528. I've put my results on the lupu 528 thread.

Pelo

Medion P7624 Intel corp 6 chipset family

#38 Post by Pelo »

Lot of problems with LUCID Distros : sound does work at all or when it works, it is weak. The dog does not bark at start-up !

If that can help you, i join screenshots of what happen

I really hope you will find how to solve the problem.

Have a nice sunday. Pelo.
Attachments
528 est muet.png
Medion P7624 Lucid 528 spanish nite fluxbox. Works well on my old computer Acer Aspire 3000.
(55.92 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

vtpup

#39 Post by vtpup »

Pelo you are wasting your time if you don't answer questions asked of you here. You have failed to indicate what sound chips you have. You have not run the requested commands, nor posted the results.

If you are not using Intel 6 series /c200 sound chips, none of your complaints should be in this thread. Nor will you get any resolution for your problems here.

Smithy

#40 Post by Smithy »

darkcity,

The Three Headed Dog is on ALSA 1.0.24.2, I've been down there in etc modprobe more times than a fox down a rabbit hole!

It's the only alsa that is really "doing it" for usb audio.

ilanrab

#41 Post by ilanrab »

vtpup wrote:If you are not using Intel 6 series /c200 sound chips, none of your complaints should be in this thread. Nor will you get any resolution for your problems here.
I fail to see your reasoning. Once you solve the Intel 6 series/c200 issue, what makes you so confident that the other sound layers (which are not working properly) will allow you to satisfy your craving for that delicious sound?
[b]ir[/b]

vtpup

#42 Post by vtpup »

Because the tests I performed indicated to me that chipset drivers were the problem.

But even if the other sound layers do turn out to be a problem in my case, I would simply raise a separate thread topic for those very different issues, since they would by definition not be related to this specific chipset,

That way issues get addressed in appropriate threads rather than deteriorating into a catch-all for unrelated sound issues on unrelated chipsets, in the process, burying the original topic, confusing everyone trying check steps to reproduce, reducing the liklihood for help or a solution.

It's also much more effective to raise OT sound issues in another thread for a poster with those issues. Anyone who wants to help a poster would be sidetracked by the reference to these chips if in fact the poster doesn't actually have them.

ilanrab

#43 Post by ilanrab »

vtpup wrote:It's also much more effective to raise OT sound issues in another thread for a poster with those issues. Anyone who wants to help a poster would be sidetracked by the reference to these chips if in fact the poster doesn't actually have them.
I understand.
Just for reference; a list of these threads may be provided in this post. Those interested, should refer/post to them instead of the current thread:
- Sound, and the Puppy save file
- ??
[b]ir[/b]