How to move Puppy 5.2 on SD card from USB to IDE?

Booting, installing, newbie
pupkb

How to move Puppy 5.2 on SD card from USB to IDE?

#1 Post by pupkb »

It was pretty automatic to install Lucid Puppy Linux to a USB-mounted SD card (in a generic USB card reader), and it booted my laptop well this way.
It uses syslinux to boot.
But now I want to use this SD card to boot inside the laptop, I plugged it on the IDE connector via a SD-to-IDE adapter (in place of the removed HDD).
It starts booting but after a few secs it cannot find the file lupu-520.sfs and hangs there.
I expect some location settings must be adapted to the new location and device type?

Here is the list of files from the installation:

10/30/2011 10:28 AM 805,306,368 lupusave.2fs
01/10/2011 06:11 PM 157 syslinux.cfg
01/03/2011 01:18 PM 48,945 Uni-USB-Installer-Copying.txt
02/18/2011 04:56 PM 6,517 Uni-USB-Installer-Readme.txt
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 2,048 boot.cat
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 126 boot.msg
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 1,235 help.msg
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 1,200 help2.msg
01/03/2011 10:37 PM 1,836,727 initrd.gz
01/25/2009 09:21 PM 14,336 isolinux.bin
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 151 isolinux.cfg
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 19,689 logo.16
01/03/2011 10:42 PM 128,282,640 lupu_520.sfs
01/03/2011 10:37 PM 2,228,816 vmlinuz

please tell me which files I must edit, and detail how, so the SD card will boot Linux now in its new location, as a primary IDE drive?
Thanks!

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

syslinux.cfg : how does the content of the file looks like ?
i would suspect still some pmedia=usbflash bootparameter .
you should open the help.msg AND help2.msg which should contain some info about pmedia=atahd or others .

pupkb

important about flash rewrites: how to control lupusave.2fs?

#3 Post by pupkb »

I knew that I would have to change the setting pmedia=usbflash,
but I worried that more than that had to be done.
I found the setting pmedia=ataflash in one of the help files you mentioned,
and applied it; seems it was all that was needed.

Here is the updated syslinux,cfg:
---
default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=ataflash
---

So Puppy boots and runs from ATA flash now, but I have a new question

I'm concerned about the rewrites Puppy does on the SD flashcard,
when moving from the casual and sporadic use of a USB flashdrive,
to the daily use of an internal ATA flashcard.

It is necessary to save sessions to preserve changed settings or any newly installed programs;
but you get a choice to save only once, when you first create the lupusave.2fs file;
after that, Puppy saves your file when it wants to, and when you shutdown, without allowing you anymore choices.

I may have this difficulty through ignorance, so if it is possible to control when Puppy saves to the persistent file, please let me know?
As a rogue way, with a USB one can unplug it before shutting down, but
with an internal ATA type card, you really need to properly control the lupusave.2fs writes.
Please detail how that is done?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

menu->system->Puppy Event Manager
Attachments
event manager.jpg
(61.4 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

pupkb

how to stop Puppy 5.2 from saving to lupusave when exiting?

#5 Post by pupkb »

on my ata flash install it says PUPMODE=13,
but I do not have a "save" icon on the desktop,
and even though I entered "0" in the Save interval,
it went to save the 'lupusave' file when shutting down :(

:?: Can someone tell me how to stop Puppy 5.2 from saving to 'lupusave' when shutting down?

maik.murks

#6 Post by maik.murks »

Hi pupkb.

The savefile belongs to the magic of the frugal installation of Puppy - and if Puppy recognizes a corresponding savefile, it will use this savefile - i.e for saving some informations.
But if you really don't want Puppy to use its savefile - just delete this savefile - and boot Puppy without savefile.
What will happen then? When you shutdown Puppy again, Puppy will ask you for creating a new savefile - just answer 'no, don't save' at that point.

If you don't like to delete your savefile for now, you can simulate the described above by adding 'pfix=ram' to the line starting with 'apend' of your syslinux.cfg.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

pupkb

Using Lupusave.2fs file when booting, but not in shutdown?

#7 Post by pupkb »

maik.murks wrote:Hi pupkb.

If you don't like to delete your savefile for now, you can simulate the described above by adding 'pfix=ram' to the line starting with 'apend' of your syslinux.cfg.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks
Thanks but sorry, no that did not help!
After I did it, Puppy 5.2 restarted from scratch like a new install without my programs and settings;
thanks God I was testing this on a USB flashdrive, not the internal ataflash., and I thought of turning off the laptop before it had a chance to save anything.
I'll edit the syslinux.cfg externally, from another OS, I hope it will reboot after that using the Lupusave file where I had saved my installed programs and their settings.
So I'm back to square 1?
What I need to do, is to allow the laptop to use the good lupusave file, where I keep program settings, but after that, stop doing more Lupusave updates when shutting down...
Right now, the only way I know to do that is to pull the plug...!...

Anyone knows how to use the Lupusave.2fs file when booting, but prevent saving it anew when shutting down?

pupkb

Quiet boot - where to delete the system sound files?

#8 Post by pupkb »

I need to boot my ataflash laptop install in quiet environments (library, etc.) , but I can't find the system sound files to delete them?
(To recap: I installed Puppy 5.2 with Syslinux, all on a FAT32 flashcard).

rhadon

#9 Post by rhadon »

Anyone knows how to use the Lupusave.2fs file when booting, but prevent saving it anew when shutting down?
Take a look here.

This works for me in Slacko 5.3 but should also work in Lupu.

In Slacko this line is at 3 places. Find the one for PUPMODE=13.

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

pupkb

how to set pupmode=5 as override?

#10 Post by pupkb »

rhadon wrote:
Take a look here.
HTH Rolf
from the sc0ttman 's post linked above:
(http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 738#383738)
Open the terminal, type
'geany /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown' (without the quotes)
then find this line, it should be around line 825 (use search - Ctrl+F)
Code:
/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw
The line above is the one the launches snapmergepuppy, comment it out, with a # at the start of the line. So it looks like this:
Code:
#/usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw
[end of quote]

After the no-save mod above,
the thread referenced above discussed showing how to have a save-or-not-save dialog when shutting down,
but I only want Puppy to shutdown quickly without a save option, so I'm conti nuing my search here.

I did what was indicated above for the rc.shutdown file,
saved the file, and saved the session manually (with the desktop Save icon) to the usual lupusave file, then powered off, rebooted, and shutdown again.
But when shutting down for the 2nd time using the new rc.shutdown file, though it did not save to my usual personalized lupusave file,
it saved the session to the install-supplied lupusave.2fs file.
So, it's insisting to save anyway!!

Reading some old posts I saw mentioned that PUPMODE=5 does no saves.
(I hope that included also no shutdown save: is that a correct?).
Where can I modify the pupmode parameter?

Is there a command one can type at the boot prompt,
that would define the PUPMODE prameter in an overriding, forced way?

Whis is this important?
The current obligatory is too time-consuming, forces you to ssave some stuff you may have tried temporarily and do not wnt to keep, and increases the chances of corrupting the lupusave file if there is any problem during this final save.
...It's especially important for an ataflash or HDD install, which is not as easily replaceable as a USB!
btw is the 'shutdown-save' options problem fixed in later versions of Puppy?
Or is there a puplet version that has it fixed?

rhadon

#11 Post by rhadon »

@pupkb

Sorry for answering so late, I've overlooked your post :oops: .

The boot command is pmedia=ataflash instead of pmedia=atahd. This forces Puppy to boot in pupmode 13 instead of pupmode 12.

HTH
Rolf

pupkb

which pmedia= ??? will result in pupmode=5 and not save?

#12 Post by pupkb »

rhadon wrote:@pupkb

Sorry for answering so late, I've overlooked your post :oops: .

The boot command is pmedia=ataflash instead of pmedia=atahd. This forces Puppy to boot in pupmode 13 instead of pupmode 12.

HTH
Rolf
Thanks for telling me the command pmedia= can be entered at boot prompt!
I already have that in syslinux cfg file, and yes Puppy boots as pupmode=13, but unfortunately, that mode does save on shutdown, which is what I am trying to avoid!
What is the pmedia=??? setting that will yield the variant pupmode=5, so Puppy will not save at shutdown anymore?
(I wonder if it will still boot from my ataflash with the new setting, though the pmedia statement would be for another type of device?)

rhadon

#13 Post by rhadon »

What is the pmedia=??? setting that will yield the variant pupmode=5, so Puppy will not save at shutdown anymore?
pupmode=5 is used if you have no save file or you want to boot without one.

I've never used a SD-to-IDE adapter, so I don't know how Puppy detects your SD card.

These are valid values for pmedia: usbflash|usbhd|usbcd|ataflash|atahd|atacd|atazip|scsihd|scsicd|cd

In your case it should be usbflash/usbhd or ataflash/atahd.

Usbhd or atahd boots with pupmode=12, usbflash or ataflash with 13.

It works fine for me with lupu-525, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with lupu-520.

1) Set this value to 0 as described here.
2)Comment out the line with snapmergepuppy for pupmode 13 as described here.This is the right part:

Code: Select all

13) #PDEV1 and PUPSFS and PUPSAVE
  #/initrd/pup_rw has tmpfs, pup_ro1 has ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.2fs file (PUPSAVE), pup_ro2 has PUPSFS file.
  #the above are in unionfs at /.
  echo "Saving session to $SAVEFILE (${SAVEPART})..." >/dev/console
#  /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy /initrd/pup_ro1 /initrd/pup_rw
  ;;
3) Try it with pmedia=usbflash and with ataflash.

HTH
Rolf

pupkb

#14 Post by pupkb »

rhadon wrote:
pupmode=5 is used if you have no save file or you want to boot without one.

These are valid values for pmedia: usbflash|usbhd|usbcd|ataflash|atahd|atacd|atazip|scsihd|scsicd|cd

HTH
Rolf
my question was, What is the pmedia=??? setting that will yield the variant pupmode=5 ?
from the list you give above, it looks like it would be a cd code, so since the connection is ATA, it would be atacd, or when I use a USB flashdrive to boot, it would be usbcd.
I guess no one has ever booted Puppy from a device that is different from the pmedia statement, I'll try it. But anyway, the problem is, as you mentioned, it seems that if I use pmedia=atacd or usbcd, it will not load any Lupusave file.

But I want to load and use the good Lupusave file I have, I just want to avoid saving over it ever during shutdown.
The SHUTDOWN SAVE is the big issue here!

Is it so that the only way to have Puppy LOAD the good savefile, but NOT SAVE/OVERWRITE it during SHUTDOWN, will be to have a shutdown "save: Yes/No" dialog setup so one will choose each time, whether to save or not?

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rhadon

#16 Post by rhadon »

my question was, What is the pmedia=??? setting that will yield the variant pupmode=5 ?
The question is irrelevant because pupmode doesn't depend on pmedia and vice versa. If you boot from cd and Puppy find a save file, it will use it (pupmode 12 or 13, depending where the save file is found). Pupmode=5 is only used when booting without any save file.
Is it so that the only way to have Puppy LOAD the good savefile, but NOT SAVE/OVERWRITE it during SHUTDOWN, will be to have a shutdown "save: Yes/No" dialog setup so one will choose each time, whether to save or not?
No. You don't need the YesNo dialog.
sc0ttman wrote:The line above is the one the launches snapmergepuppy, comment it out, with a # at the start of the line.
-snip-
OR, get a dialog, ...
I haven't tried the pet which bigpup adviced, but it looks like to be a good idea. :wink:

btw. the prefix ide was used in older Puppies and was replaced by ata. But for compatibility, ide is still working.

HTH
Rolf