How to install Epson Stylus Photo 750 printer Solved

Booting, installing, newbie
davec51

How to install Epson Stylus Photo 750 printer Solved

#1 Post by davec51 »

I installed Puppy Linux (live CD) today. Itś beautiful and exciting to use. However, I can

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

If you are running from a live CD did you check the download for errors, this is explained on the download page at Barrys main Puppy site.

MU

#3 Post by MU »

type
printerwizard.sh
in a consolewindow.

Do you get an error-message?
Please post the text the console shows here.
Mark

davec51

#4 Post by davec51 »

Ian wrote:If you are running from a live CD did you check the download for errors, this is explained on the download page at Barrys main Puppy site.
No, I didn't. Maybe a should do another download and make a checksum (I'll have to learn how to do this). I'm having trouble configuring my sound card, too, and that might be the same problem.
Thanks for your help.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

in Puppy, start "mut" in utilities.
I mut, mount the partition where you download the iso.
This opens Rox-filemanager.
In Rox, search that folder, rightclick -> xterm here.

In xterm, type
md5sum xxxxx.iso
where xxx is the correct name.

Mark

davec51

#6 Post by davec51 »

MU wrote:type
printerwizard.sh
in a consolewindow.

Do you get an error-message?
Please post the text the console shows here.
Mark
Typed "printerwizard.sh at the console and got the wizare.
Chose Epson Stylus Photo
At the next step, chose Epson, though "HP Lazerjet was highlighted in red and I couldn't remove highlighting. My printer when I clicked it was highlighted in black.
put in /dev/lp1 as directed (my printer is on LPT1 port)
In console got this error message: error parsing /etc/pdq printrc, line 72 unknown keyword "stylus"
Went to file and edited name of printer, taking out spaces.

still nothing when I tried to print a test file from abi-word. Screen showed "printing page 1," but no action.
When I press the printer icon in abi-word I get a dialogue that just shows "Generic Postscript" and "create PDF," not my printer as an option.

Is there any hope here? I greatly appreciate your help.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Ian »

There seems to be a problem with the /etc/pdq/printrc file.
Click on 'Show/hide hidden files' in /root (this is the directory that opens in rox or home when you open the them), click on .etc then pdq (these are blue folders), then right click on printrc and select 'Open As Text' and scroll down to line 72.

Try installing your printer again and see if the printrc file changes this line.

davec51

#8 Post by davec51 »

Ian wrote:There seems to be a problem with the /etc/pdq/printrc file.
Click on 'Show/hide hidden files' in /root (this is the directory that opens in rox or home when you open the them), click on .etc then pdq (these are blue folders), then right click on printrc and select 'Open As Text' and scroll down to line 72.

Try installing your printer again and see if the printrc file changes this line.
Int the printrc file I found my printer, with the info I had put in:
driver=ijs-escp2-750
interface=local port
and so forth.

Used the Printer Manager to add a new printer "Epson-Stylus-Photo-750" with the same info; made that my default.

Still nothing when I try to print. Again, the print dialogue gives me only "Generic Printer" and "Create a PDF" as options. Anyway, the window says "Printing Page 1" for a few seconds, but deathly silence prevailing.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Ian »

I know this will sound tedious but could you go through the process again.

I would recommend that you first open 'Xpdq print a file' in Start/Utilities and delete the printers that you have installed then close that and open the printer wizard.

This time when you install your printer could you please make a note of the settings you use in every step of the install.

davec51

How to Install Epson Stylus Photo 750 Printer

#10 Post by davec51 »

Ian wrote:I know this will sound tedious but could you go through the process again.

I would recommend that you first open 'Xpdq print a file' in Start/Utilities and delete the printers that you have installed then close that and open the printer wizard.

This time when you install your printer could you please make a note of the settings you use in every step of the install.
Here is the information you requested. Thanks again for your help:

Following your instructions, I deleted my Epson Stylus Photo 750, using the xpdq Printer Manager, then added a printer with these settings:

Name: Epson
Driver: ijs-escp2-750
(lhp Lazerjet 5 was as always highlighted in pink -- can't change this)
Parameter: letter
Interface: local-port
Parameter /dev/p0 (also tried /dev/p1)

When I tried to print a test document from Abi-Word, this was the info in the print dialogue:

printer: generic postscript (on this and "create PDF" was available)
setting: default

When I pressed Print, the bottom of the document screen showed "Printing: page 1" but nothing happened.

The Print Manager showed that a document had been "finished":
filename: stdin
file type: postscript doc to printer

I'm sure NASA has more important problems, but none, I think, more troubling.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Ian »

How is your printer connected to your machine, is it via your parallel or serial port connection or by USB.

During setup you must define which it is.

When you come to the add printer section and are asked to select an interface select local-port, next enter /dev/ lp0 in Name of device if it is connected to your printer port.

When you make it the default printer try also setting the interface to Set EOF and make that default.

You may have to try different settings depending on how your printer is connected to your machine.

davec51

#12 Post by davec51 »

It's a parallel port LPT1. I think I have done the settings you suggest, but I'll try again from scratch. Thanks for your interest. If I can get the printer to work, Puppy will be just what I have been looking for.
Ian wrote:How is your printer connected to your machine, is it via your parallel or serial port connection or by USB.

During setup you must define which it is.

When you come to the add printer section and are asked to select an interface select local-port, next enter /dev/ lp0 in Name of device if it is connected to your printer port.

When you make it the default printer try also setting the interface to Set EOF and make that default.

You may have to try different settings depending on how your printer is connected to your machine.

davec51

Epson Printer Successfully Installed!

#13 Post by davec51 »

Finally, I found my problem and fixed it, with the indefatigable help of MU and IAN. Thanks to them. If they need to go on a perilous journey, I'll go with them.
The fault was in the printrc driver. I found that in my many attempts to configure the printer, I had used different names for it (the instructions misleadingly say that the name is for personal use and doesn't matter). So when I edited the name of the default driver in the file to be the same as the one in the parameters (just "Epson"), it just worked, as if I had not been agonizing over it for a week.
So now I'm a proud Puppy owner. I expect we'll spend many pleasant days together in play and work.