How to watch a Blu-Ray movie in Precise 571?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How to watch a Blu-Ray movie in Precise 571?

#1 Post by Flash »

I've been waiting many years for Ishtar to come out on DVD. It finally came available, but on Blu-Ray, not DVD. I have a Blu-Ray burner in my computer so I bought it, thinking I'd be able to watch it on my computer. Imagine my disappointment when Gnome proved unable to play it. So how can I watch it?

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

Encryption problem ?

Install with PPM vlc and if not included, with PPM:
libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1

http://www.umunthu.net/tutorials/how-to ... 0-and-1304

Then install below installer pet, which just downloads that KEYSDB.cfg and places it to the right location.

Reboot has been recommended or needed. I dont know why.

Above instructions comes just from that manual. I dont have blurays to test. If someone does not send me one ? Lol.
Attachments
aacs-key-installer-0.0.1.pet
(857 Bytes) Downloaded 235 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

VLC 2.0.5 (the one in Precise Puppy's package manager) seems no longer to be in the Ubuntu repository. On top of that, VLC 2.0.5 has 35 dependencies that are not in Precise Puppy, several of which are also not in the repository. :(

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

Flash. I believe you need to use update manager inside PPM and update the database files.

I am fairly sure VLC is still there. The database files just need an update.

And yes...it needs a lot dependencies, but previously after installing all of them, VLC has been ok.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

If you can go 64bit, Fatdog with a blu-.pet does not require additional software. However, only passed Blu-ray versions are playable. Since I wait until they are on deep discount that is not an issue. Got some rental Blurays and none where playable with linux :cry:
Missed the last Star Trek movie in theaters so I have a pre-order combo that has 3d bluray, regular bluray and DVD all together. Figure I'd have something to play on my 3D HDTV when I can affort one,.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog: I downloaded Fatdog 621 and burned it to a mini-DVD using Burniso2cd. It booted to desktop. (I noticed that I could not use the keyboard to choose any of the boot options, but it booted ok anyway.) VLC refused to play either of the two Blu-Ray movies I have, and gave this error message:
Blu-Ray error:
Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
I couldn't find no stinkin' log. I tried /dev/dvd and /dev/sr0 (the Blu-Ray drive is named sr0 on the desktop.) Both gave the same result.

Pemasu: I tried updating the PPM in Precise, but that only seemed to remove most of the stuff from the repository. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Fatdog64 has VLC 2.0.6 Twoflower. I tried installing your .pet, but it made no difference. The first two times I tried to install it, I got an error message saying I had to be root to install stuff! Entering "whoami" in a terminal confirmed that I was root. The third time I tried to install it, it worked. But, as I said, VLC still gave the same error message. I could not reboot Fatdog after installing it, because I don't have a place to put a Save file and Fatdog would not allow me to choose multisession from the boot options.

So I'm stumped. :?

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

Flash. I think something has gone wrong with PPM for you. It does not behave as it should.

Anyway....666philb has created quickpet precise app and he has packaged vlc and qt and you can download them with quickpet precise:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

You will need to download those extra debs still.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Thanks. Any idea where to start looking for those extra debs?

Ted Dog

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

Flash wrote:Ted Dog: I downloaded Fatdog 621 and burned it to a mini-DVD using Burniso2cd. It booted to desktop. (I noticed that I could not use the keyboard to choose any of the boot options, but it booted ok anyway.) VLC refused to play either of the two Blu-Ray movies I have, and gave this error message:
Blu-Ray error:
Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.
I couldn't find no stinkin' log. I tried /dev/dvd and /dev/sr0 (the Blu-Ray drive is named sr0 on the desktop.) Both gave the same result.

Pemasu: I tried updating the PPM in Precise, but that only seemed to remove most of the stuff from the repository. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Fatdog64 has VLC 2.0.6 Twoflower. I tried installing your .pet, but it made no difference. The first two times I tried to install it, I got an error message saying I had to be root to install stuff! Entering "whoami" in a terminal confirmed that I was root. The third time I tried to install it, it worked. But, as I said, VLC still gave the same error message. I could not reboot Fatdog after installing it, because I don't have a place to put a Save file and Fatdog would not allow me to choose multisession from the boot options.

So I'm stumped. :?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 715#698715

It is not perfect.

I believe its the tab or E to edit boot line. But if your hardware is not seen... ops.

Pelo

I have no bluetooth at home.

#10 Post by Pelo »

I am building my puplet multimedia with Precise (not tahr because FFmpeg deleted). I have no bluetooth at home. However i try to do it as if i buy one to-morrow.
First step : VLC well found in PPM, as vlc-2.1.6-wheezy.sfs: 23 M available in my toll case, i load it on the fly
libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1 : no, pfind negative.

perdido

Re: I have no bluetooth at home.

#11 Post by perdido »

Pelo wrote: First step : VLC well found in PPM, as vlc-2.1.6-wheezy.sfs: 23 M available in my toll case, i load it on the fly
libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1 : no, pfind negative.
To transform negative to positive, some locations for the missing packages
libaacs0 http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libaacs0
libbluray-bdj http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libbluray-bdj
libbluray1 http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/libbluray1