new USB Standard is finalized. Expect some major changes

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

new USB Standard is finalized. Expect some major changes

#1 Post by gcmartin »

Look for new uses of USB and expect that USB2 will disappear from new devices within 6 months. USB3 and the 2 new adoptions, here, will filled the places on your devices. So, pay attention to USB options on everything you purchase. Knowledge is in understanding.

The peripheral vendors have been waiting for this to begin moving from demo units to market devices.

I think we are about to see some interesting connection options show-up for personalized "stuff" we have/purchase/use.

Hope this helps

Jasper

#2 Post by Jasper »

Hi gcmartin et al,

I assume that USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 and that it will continue to be so for at least a handful of years to come.

My assumption may be foolishly wrong, but if so it seems to me, perhaps also foolishly, that the market for USB3 computers will be severely reduced.

My regards

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Jasper wrote:Hi gcmartin et al,

I assume that USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 and that it will continue to be so for at least a handful of years to come.

My assumption may be foolishly wrong, but if so it seems to me, perhaps also foolishly, that the market for USB3 computers will be severely reduced.

My regards
My USB3 system hasn't delivered yet. But, I just tried my new USB3 stick in my old laptop and Puppy picked it up. I have not seen informations that says USB2 devices will not work in USB3 ports, so my assumptions is that they do. The physical male plug looks the same externally for USB1, USB2, and USB3.

BTW, I have, too, noticed that new PCs & laptops being sold for schools-students have BOTH USB2 and USB3. I think that the industry is just trying to use up excess inventory of USB2 Motherboard(MB) connectors and it moves to all USB3 on the MB.

Hope this helps