Can't save ALSA config

Using applications, configuring, problems
Weeble

Can't save ALSA config

#1 Post by Weeble »

I'm presently using Puppy 1.0.8r1 LiveCD, and am having problems getting my ALSA settings to "stick". I presently have to run Alsaconf every time I boot into Puppy.

Here's what happens when I run the ALSA Wizard:

I get to the point where it says "ALSA Wizard will prepare the card for playing now", but I get an error message on the next screen;

"Loading driver...
/usr/sbin/userconf:; line 689: etc/rc.d/rc.alsa - No such file or directory
Setting default volumes..."

Sound runs fine for that session, but when I boot again, I get these error messages:

ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/isa/opti9xx/opti92x-od1848.c:585: WSS dma2 #3 not valid
ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/isa/opti9xx/opti92x-od1848.c:2141: no OPL device at 0x380-0x383

and I get no sound unless I run Alsaconf again.

I think I understand the gist of the error messages, but don't know what to do to get things rectified. Any help will be appreciated.
I'm "Weeble" from Groklaw. Hi, y'all!

Weeble

Am I Asking In the Right Place?

#2 Post by Weeble »

I posted my query "Can't Save ALSA Config" a couple of weeks ago, and have gotten no response at all. Am I asking my question in the right place? I thought this particular forum would be more relevant (and have more knowledgeable users) than the newbie forum, so I posted here.

I would have thought someone could have at least posted their copy of rc.alsa, which appears to be what I need. I'm not being crabby, I just need the help!

If you can help, please post a reply. Thanks!

MU

#3 Post by MU »

I'm not quite shure, if rc.alsa will help you, but here is mine:
Just wonder what happened to yours?

http://dotpups.de/tests/rc.alsa.txt

Hope that helps,
Mark

Weeble

Well, It Was Worth a Try - Setting up a new PUP001 file?

#4 Post by Weeble »

Thanks for making your rc.alsa file available. Unfortunately, by itself it just caused more problems. I think it'll need a more comprehensive fix.

For some added background, 1.0.8r1 is not my first version of Puppy. I may have started with 1.0.5 or 1.0.6, and definitely used 1.0.7. At one point, I used the 1.0.8 beta, which may be part of the problem. After having used 1.0.8 beta, I have had display problems when going back to 1.0.7; i.e., the Start Puppy, the taskbar items and the window headers all become smaller with small type and (as I remember) a red background.

I may need to set up a new PUP001 file and copy the important stuff (email, GAIM settings, etc) to it. Which will be another whole thread, since I don't know how to do that. Should someone come along and want to help with that, I'll need to know how to do the following;

1) What the mount parameters would be for mounting a separate PUP001 file, including what the Puppy root password is. I may want/need to mount my present PUP001 at a separate mount point so I know everything that's there; my understanding is that what's in PUP001 is merged into the filesystem in multiple places. (Am I correct?)

2) What's important and what's trash; for example, I'll want to copy my Sylpheed mail and settings, my GAIM settings, my Mozilla settings and bookmarks, additional installed programs (like Audacity and Nedit), desktop settings and icons (I have some custom shortcuts), but without copying anything that Puppy will automatically recreate and expecially anything that's likely to be corrupted (and at the core of my problems) at present.

Thanks!

jcoder24

#5 Post by jcoder24 »

Try testing alsa before you copy over your settings to the new pup001 file and see what happens.

Weeble

Testing ALSA?

#6 Post by Weeble »

jcoder24 wrote:Try testing alsa before you copy over your settings to the new pup001 file and see what happens.
Please read my initial post and tell me what other kind of testing there is to do than what I've already done. I'm all ears (Basset Hound ears, as a matter of fact).

I can run alsaconf from within Puppy (getting the error messages mentioned above) and get ALSA running, but the settings don't carry over from one boot to the next. Next boot, I have to run alsaconf all over again to get sound. It has never carried over from one boot to the next.

jcoder24

Re: Can't save ALSA config

#7 Post by jcoder24 »

Weeble wrote:Please read my initial post and tell me what other kind of testing there is to do than what I've already done. I'm all ears (Basset Hound ears, as a matter of fact).
Sorry I guess I missed PUP001 in the following text of your 'initial post', maybe I responded before taking my medication.
Weeble wrote:I'm presently using Puppy 1.0.8r1 LiveCD, and am having problems getting my ALSA settings to "stick". I presently have to run Alsaconf every time I boot into Puppy.

Here's what happens when I run the ALSA Wizard:

I get to the point where it says "ALSA Wizard will prepare the card for playing now", but I get an error message on the next screen;

"Loading driver...
/usr/sbin/userconf:; line 689: etc/rc.d/rc.alsa - No such file or directory
Setting default volumes..."

Sound runs fine for that session, but when I boot again, I get these error messages:

ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/isa/opti9xx/opti92x-od1848.c:585: WSS dma2 #3 not valid
ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/isa/opti9xx/opti92x-od1848.c:2141: no OPL device at 0x380-0x383

and I get no sound unless I run Alsaconf again.

I think I understand the gist of the error messages, but don't know what to do to get things rectified. Any help will be appreciated.
Perhaps your initial post was in another thread, I probably missed that too.

Or maybe I was counting 3-2-1 (instead of 1-2-3) causing me to miss the initial posting at what I would count as your third posting? That's the only place where the letters P-U-P-0-0-1 appeared without any other characters separating them.

My posting was only to suggest that when you tried the new pup001, to use a 'virgin' one without any other settings or packages installed that may corrupt the system. That way we would be able to rule those out as possible causes. NB I still haven't taken my medication.

BTW, the specs for your systems (ram, swap, etc) may helpful as well.

Weeble

Re: Can't save ALSA config

#8 Post by Weeble »

jcoder24 wrote:Sorry I guess I missed PUP001 in the following text of your 'initial post', maybe I responded before taking my medication.

My posting was only to suggest that when you tried the new pup001, to use a 'virgin' one without any other settings or packages installed that may corrupt the system. That way we would be able to rule those out as possible causes. NB I still haven't taken my medication.

BTW, the specs for your systems (ram, swap, etc) may helpful as well.
I think your idea of a virgin PUP001 is a good one for testing purposes; but once I have it fixed, I want to be able to either move things like my GAIM settings, email, bookmarks and such to the new one or move the ALSA settings to the old one (more likely the first one is what'll work). So I'll need to know how to do that, particularly as far as how to mount a PUP001 file as a separate entity. What would be the command line for that? Please don't tell me to go to the man pages; an actual answer would give me another example of how to use the mount command--I find man pages and most other Linux docs to be very short on detailed examples so I can figure out how to make the commands work in new situations.

BTW, as for system specs, I am running a generic clone; AMD K6/2-300 processor, 256MB RAM, 234MB swap file, 512 MB PUP001. Sound card is an Opti Audio 16, using the opti93x (snd-opti93x?) driver under ALSA. Hope this helps; thanks for your willingness to help.