Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 04 Jul 2020, 05:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
JWM Stuff - Edge wrap and Extra Desktops
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
johnywhy

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 02:20    Post subject:  JWM Stuff - Edge wrap and Extra Desktops  

Sorry for the newbie questions, but having trouble finding these settings in Racy or in the forum--

How can i disable the feature that makes windows disappear when i drag them too close to the edge of the screen?

How can i disable the extra desktops, or change the number of desktops to 2 instead of 3?

Thanks!
maik.murks

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 07:20    Post subject:  

Hi johnywhy.

You should find all the 'JWM Stuff' as you've written within the 'JWM Configuration' which should be here: menu --> desktop. After changing one or more configuration items, you should restart JWM that these changes can take effect.

Cheers Wink

Maik.Murks
johnywhy

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 09:57    Post subject:  

yes, i found the the 'JWM Configuration' but strangely, the virtual desktops WAS set to 1 row, 1 column already, even tho my screen showed 3. That's what confused me. The settings displayed in 'JWM Configuration' did not match my desktop.

i just tried to click "save" on that dialog box without changing any settings, and then my taskbar showed just 1 desktop as desired.

i could not find the screen edge behavior. Which area of the 'JWM Configuration' is it in?

Also, how can i change the font size and typeface for the puppy menu?
How can i change the desktop icon size? I can't find either of these in the jwm config or the puppy menu.

thanks!
maik.murks

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:32    Post subject:  

Hi johnywhy.

Well, it seems to be that JWM is not your window manager you are actually using. If you are using i.e. Openbox or Xfce or whatever, then it doesn't make any sense to try to configure that other window manager with the JWM configuration tool. So, try to find out which window manager you are actually using and which functionality gives you your panel - the window manager or something else. After that you should get a sense making idea which tool to use for configurating - i.e. the Openbox configuration tool for the Openbox window manager.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Wink

Maik.Murks
johnywhy

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:36    Post subject:  

hi maik.murks

i'm pretty sure i am using jwm. As i mentioned, when i saved the jwm virtual desktops config screen, then it correctly changed my virtual desktops. I don't think that could happen if i was using a different window manager. Other settings in the jwm config do work when i apply them.

I'm not aware of any other window manager on this puppy. I don't recall installing any others. I checked the puppy package manager, and I don't see any other window managers installed.

What makes you suspect i'm not using jwm?

thanks!
maik.murks

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:41    Post subject:  

Hi johnywhy.

It looks like that I've something missunderstood what you've written.

It seems to be that you are using JWM.
In several cases, JWM does not scan your actually configuration. That means, if you are in the JWM configuration were you can define your number of desktops, the number you see when the JWM configuration comes up has nothing to do with anything - just enter a number you like and restart JWM. As far as I know are valid numbers for desktops 1 to 8.

Cheers Wink

Maik.Murks
johnywhy

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 11:51    Post subject:  

i believe you're correct.

any ideas on how to change the other settings i mentioned?

-disable the feature that makes windows disappear when i drag them too close to the edge of the screen. (i think this might automatically get disabled when i set virtual desktops to 1)

-change the font size and typeface for the puppy menu?

-change the desktop icon size?

-also, show window contents while dragging?

appreciated,
j
`f00

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 22:34    Post subject:
Subject description: jwm bits..

(heh, I'm often a n00B in fvwm Wink )

1) Instead of dragging windows to an edge to unclutter your desktop (if you're intent on only using one), try to get in the habit to minimize to the taskbar or shade them (quicker and less work on the gpu) - multiple desktops are nice if you like to have many windows up and jwm makes it easy to switch them (windows or desktops as you like)

2) font stuff for window titlebars, menus and taskbar/tray(s) is in each jwm theme (and so may vary). Either try making your own themes or copy/modify an extant one that's not in use (manually is not that hard and most pups have trio's thememaker which I believe has options covering font/size) .. you may have to fiddle about to see your changes (switch themes and/or reload jwm)

3) desktop icon size is more to do with rox and the actual size of the icon used (48x48 is standard for desktop icons) - there's a rightclick 'set icon' and you can drag smaller icons to use in most cases (a few exceptions are the change-state icons like trash, driveicons and a few others) or scale them in mtpaint to whatever you like. Another thing is the grid size for arranging them so they line up or snap to position - fine/medium/coarse are the settings for desktop/pinboard grid found in rox' options dialogue (rightclick in the roxfiler window and play around with moving them to see how it works)

4) set in the 'personal' file in /root/.jwm dir - I believe there are two lines for moving and resizing, change the appropriate one from "outline" to "opaque" (this makes the gpu work harder, so.. Neutral )

addenda (see under)
2) trio is the author of some thememaker gui apps, see here if you don't already have the one for jwm
3) You are correct - 48s are the desktop 'standard' size. Afaik the only 'shrinking' is done when switching a desktop icon theme (a script scales the 48s down to 24s so they fit in the top level of the menu categories) - icon themes @ /usr/local/lib/X11/themes (when selected, the themeset goes to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps)
..) yup, edge behavior is hardcoded in jwm (keeps it light) - ot, you might consider one of the *box wms (blackbox, openbox or fluxbox) as an alternate wm for other/extended feature sets .. autoraise is a nice feature if you do sloppy focus

de nada, felice navidad &so/on hth Smile

Last edited by `f00 on Fri 16 Dec 2011, 11:42; edited 2 times in total
johnywhy

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec 2011, 23:40    Post subject:  

Great tips.

1) I'm familiar with minimizing and multiple desktops. when I set desktops to 1, then the edge behavior I described goes away, so that's set.

2) thanks for trio. I use trio to mod an existing theme?

3) I notice when I set the icon for a desktop item, Jwm or rox appears to shrink it down to some predetermined size. All icons on the desktop seem the same size. Am I incorrect?

4) awesome.

Thanks!
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec 2011, 02:11    Post subject:  

Johnywhy.... the best way to configure JWM is to edit the configuration files directly. These are mainly in the hidden folder /root/.jwm
For desktops, edit /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal. If using Racy or Wary, set the width number to the number of desktops you want, in other Puppies the setting is in the same place, but more obvious.
To adjust font faces, sizes etc, edit jwmrc-theme. If you totally screw up, just re-load your theme from menu>desktop>jwm configuration.
Doing it this way is more difficult to get started than a GUI, but SO much more control once you get it figured.
I dont think screen wrap or the way JWM displays can be changed. If I remember correctly, it is hard coded behaviour.

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: