How to install tar.gz files?

Booting, installing, newbie
spkslayer

How to install tar.gz files?

#1 Post by spkslayer »

The mane thing I need help on is installing .tar.gz and .gz i cant seem to install them. ive searched the internet and tryed the methods other people have done but nuthing. please help. i found zsnes for puppy under .gz and i want to get more themes for iceWM i found some that are .tar,gz. but if any one knows were to find mor thatll be more helpfull

mahaju

#2 Post by mahaju »

Try these for extracting tar files of various extensions (like .tar, .tar.gz etc)

tar xvzf file.tar.gz

OR

tar xvzf file.tgz

tar xvjf filename.tar.bz2

a google search will give more idea on the different parameters to tar command, but there are may so you have to look carefully

tar command will extract the files in the archive to the folder you are currently working in
then you will have to use commands like ./configure or whatever it is, to run the installation script inside the tar file

And the spelling's main not mane

spkslayer

#3 Post by spkslayer »

I saw that i spelled main wrong lol. I tryed all the extracting methods. and is said that the file cant be found. is there a folder i need to sent the file to or something. I'm pretty new to puppy and i try to use windows apps on wine i got FL studio working on wine but i really want to get the .tar.gz and .gz working.

mahaju

#4 Post by mahaju »

the command should work if you are currently in the same folder as the tar file
type ls to see what files are in your current folder
If you cannot see the tar file then probably you are in a different folder
Please let me know if that's not your problem

spkslayer

#5 Post by spkslayer »

I dont see it. right now its in the temp folder for opera. how would i put in were i can find it. sorry if im making this difficult.

spkslayer

#6 Post by spkslayer »

I got it to work now. but the file i installed was a icewm theme how would i use it? and i got zsnes to work. thanks

spkslayer

#7 Post by spkslayer »

And also how to i check my hard drive storage on how much i have left

kaeza

#8 Post by kaeza »

Puppy has a double click handler for .tar.gz files. You need to find the archive in ROX-Filer and click it (or double-click depending on your options).
After XArchive starts, just click on "Select all" followed by "Extract" on the toolbar and type in a folder name or click the button to select one. I suggest you appent a directory name even if the gz file says it extract into one.
Next, browse to the output directory (the folder you selected) and do whatever you want to do with the files.
P.S: How did you get ZSNES working on Puppy?
[i]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear."[/i] -- Ambrose Redmoon

mahaju

#9 Post by mahaju »

I don't know much about themes as I don't much play around with them
Perhaps this video will be useful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QcaCY0h_I

To view your harddisk storage information go to console and type partview
Youcan also start it by clicking on the green (or red) verticle bars near the clock
I don't know where it is in the start menu
Or you can also see it using gparted, but better to use partview

spkslayer

#10 Post by spkslayer »

I found out how to do all the things i just needed to be pionted the right way thanks guys. and zsnes i found it here "http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=271525" a guy made one (thats the one im using) and theres another one on that page also.

Makoto

#11 Post by Makoto »

.pet installation files for ZSNES (as well as other emulators and games :D ) can be found elsewhere on the forum. :)
Use this search page rather than the forum's own search engine to search the forum for anything you're looking for.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).