How to build a custom Puppy with Woof?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Stripe

How to build a custom Puppy with Woof?

#1 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

(Its good to be back home :lol: )

Is it possible to build a puppy with woof (or woof2) that does not include those bloody annoying first run wizards and does not boot directly to desktop?

cheers

don

edited to add: or does someone know how to disable the first run wizards/booting to desktop without cocking up the rest of the distro?

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Yes Stripe

At the end of woof you are asked if you want to boot to desktop, accept the default which is no. If building Slacko, don't install the z_base_hacks package (or filter through it and remove delayedrun and some other system files that get overwritten)

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#3 Post by Stripe »

Thanks mick

will try that

cheers

Stripe

edited to add: with woof downloading kernels I dont even want at 10 -20 Kbs, no thanks.

I just want a modern puppy that works out of the box on at least 1 of my 6 machines, instead of having to muck about with wireless/sound or the display. machines range from a 700mhz AMD duron up to a athlon quad core and since the booting to desktop was added the last 2 machines that worked out of the box now dont. perhaps its time to move on :cry:

stripe
Last edited by Stripe on Mon 28 Nov 2011, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#4 Post by Tman »

Experienced woofers,

How do I add my own pets into the iso build during the woof process? So far, I have only been able to add and remove things by entering 'yes' or 'no' in the DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS file.

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

Tman

The pet must exist in one of the Packages-puppy-*-official files

You can append your pet.specs to one of the official ones as a dirty work-around then add the generic name to PKGS_SPECS_TABLE variable in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS_*. Add the pet to the packages-pet directory and woof should find it.

The proper way is to make yourself a "local repo" with its own Packages file, lets say Packages-puppy-Tman-official.

Add your pet(s) to the PKGS_SPECS_TABLE variable as mentioned.

Now you have to get your dummy repo recognised by woof.

You need to edit the file DISTRO_PET_REPOS

Append a variable PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER to look something like this:

Code: Select all

PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER="Packages-puppy-Tman-official Packages-puppy-common-official Packages-puppy-wary5-official Packages-puppy-4-official"
Don't forget to add your pets to packages-pet directory.

I *think* that's it.

I have more instructions here but they are a bit dated. You can also hack PPM to use an external repo. Download spup-100 from here to take a peek if you like.

Happy woofing!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Tman

#6 Post by Tman »

:) Thanks very much, Micko, I will try you advice and set up a local repo.