Lighthouse 64 5.13 (testing only)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
einar

Samba

#16 Post by einar »

using the samba server under network i can share the download folder with ease. Using: smbpasswd -L -a root in terminal i can set a password that Windows 7 can access. And it works. This means i can use LH64 aslo like a NAS on one of my computers. The problem is how do i share other locations / disks ? say i want to share 5 or 6 of my harddrives. what do i do ?

hoping for an easy answere since i think Samba / network share is the most difficult :)

Best regards

Einar

BHINTZ

#17 Post by BHINTZ »

As others were obviously succeeding in booting 513, I burned a cd (I usually use a manual frugal). This booted up fine with the nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram instructions. Created savefile with automatically. I have now rebooted from cd with no issues and am planning on attempting a standard frugal.

bob

BHINTZ

#18 Post by BHINTZ »

Well, now I have screwed things up again and can no longer boot even from the cd. I may remove everything LHP related from my hard drive and see if I can get back to the beginning.

bob

Meshworks

Smb sharing

#19 Post by Meshworks »

The problem is how do i share other locations / disks ? say i want to share 5 or 6 of my harddrives. what do i do ?
hope this snip from my file /etc/samba/smb.conf helps...
Edit your copy to be something like this then restart samba.
I'm sure there are things others would do differently (or better) so any comments are welcome!

Code: Select all

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = %h
server string = %h-SMB
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.0.0./24 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
security = share
force user = root
# Uncomment the following two lines if you want clients to follow symlinks.
#follow symlinks = yes  
#unix extensions = no
max protocol = SMB2
dns proxy = no

printing = cups
printcap name = cups 
load printers = yes
# Delete the two following lines if you don't want clients to follow symlinks.
follow symlinks = yes  
unix extensions = no
;[data]
;comment = Downloads
;path = /root/spot/Downloads
;writable = yes
;guest ok = yes

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

;*******************section aye***************** 
[ayedrive]
path = /mnt/sda3/aye
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root
;*******************section books***************** 
[books]
path = /mnt/sda3/books
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = spot
write list = root
;*******************section software***************** 
[software]
path = /mnt/sda3/software
browseable = yes
guest ok = Yes
writeable = No
username = root
force user = root
read list = spot
write list = root
;*******************section public video***************** 
[video]
path = /mnt/sda3/video
browseable = yes
guest ok = Yes
writeable = No
force user = root
;*******************section writeable videos***************** 
[videos]
path = /mnt/sda3/video
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = spot
write list = root
;*******************section music***************** 
[music]
path = /mnt/sda3/music
browseable = yes
guest ok = Yes
writeable = No
force user = root
;*******************section musics writeable***************** 
[musics]
path = /mnt/sda3/music
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = spot
write list = root
;*******************section proj***************** 
[proj]
path = /mnt/sda3/proj
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root
;*******************section bb_progs***************** 
[bb_progs]
path = /mnt/sda3/bb_progs
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root
;*******************section WOW***************** 
[wow.335a]
path = /mnt/sda3/WoW.335a
browseable = yes
guest ok = Yes
writeable = No
force user = root
;*******************section userfiles***************** 
[userfiles]
path = /mnt/sda3/userfiles
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root
;*******************section local webroot***************** 
[www]
path = /mnt/sda3/www
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root

Jim1911

Problem with JWM

#20 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TaZoC,

I loaded the KDE sfs and it is running great, however, I am having a slight problem now with JWM. When I am using JWM and reboot, the screen comes up without the installed background and all icons are missing. Selecting change WM and changing to JWM again restores the desktop.

Removed 4-KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-L1.sfs and Gvfs-1.8.1-x86_64.sfs and the problem disappears.

Otherwise, it's working fine.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(41.49 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 07 Dec 2011, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Barburo

Testing

#21 Post by Barburo »

In 513 I'm getting the same problem from before with LXDE - set the background once and you cannot change it.
B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

tazoc

Bug reports

#22 Post by tazoc »

Barburo wrote:I'm running the Fusion desktop.
I decided to put all the apps I use into the application launch bar and then hide the desktop icons for a cleaner look.
On reboot the puppy drive icons load one atop the other all in the bottom left corner. I can drag them apart, but they ought to be spaced out.
Change back to show desktop icons and reload the desktop -> drive icons are correctly spaced out.
Update: Tried the same thing with Openbox -> same result.
B.
Hi Barburo,
Thank you, reproduced here as well. Should be fixed for 5.14, that is, all icons will show or hide together, and keep their positions.
gcmartin wrote:The Live media is a multi-session DVD created from Mariner 513beta2 via Pburn

Upon shutdown, I am NOT getting any option to save the booted system back to Live media. Instead, it appears to want to save to HDD (see picture below)

When running remaster, the ISO that is created will NOT boot. It goes into a reboot spin indicating it is looking for intird.xz which does NOT exist on the DVD.
I can confirm the remaster bugs--there were many related to Lighthouse 64 features; fixed for 5.14. Was not able to reproduce the multi-session shutdown 'Save to CD' option missing. Are you sure that you had booted with pfix=ram? I do have a 'Save to CD' option when booting from a CD or DVD with puppy pfix=ram. However... in 5.13 clicking on that button fails to save to CD, instead it begins shutdown and then drops to a command prompt. :shock: I've fixed that for 5.14 also.
Meshworks wrote:The NVIDIA driver from NV's site still would not compile here...
Failed on 32bit libs... sorry.
I don't have an Nvidia card to test with... was that a Linux 64-bit driver?
Used the driver from LHP-UPDATE...
Added compiz.sfs, sorted xorg, restarted ... fixed!
Wine and Compiz working .... two hours lost, transfixed by how pretty....

Problems with the following though...

Lots of russian text in my startup screens - may be cos I am using utf-8 and host charset en_gb utf-8...
I don't know... will reboot with en_GB.utf8 and see. Normally I don't run UTF-8 as apps run more slowly.
START->NETWORK->Monkey-Server
-does not start anything?
-offers Onetime/Startup dialog box but no pages served
-no shutdown dialog when run again...
-can't find the hiawatha files so.... missing?
It's from Fatdog 64 511. I'll work on it. Straight off I see the script is dodgey, pidfile didn't match the config. Will work on it.
VMWARE
The .bundle installs but does not configure correctly on first run...
Kernel sources? HAL?

sh-4.1# ./VMware-Player-3.1.3-324285.x86_64.bundle --ignore-errors
Extracting VMware Installer...done.

START->SYSTEM->TOOLS->VMwarePlayer
Launches but....

Unable to build kernel module.
See log file /tmp/vmware-root/setup-18552.log for details

Dec 01 04:15:13.391: app-140355293505312| Building module with command: /usr/bin/make -C /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only auto-build SUPPORT_SMP=1 HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.3/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc GREP=/usr/bin/make IS_GCC_3=no VMCCVER=4.5.2
Dec 01 04:15:20.772: app-140355293505312| Failed to compile module vmmon!
Sorry, no idea. VirtualBox compiles fine here.
XFCE.sfs does not run on my setup...
Errors include 'do not have permission for settings manager'.
Over the weekend I found that the Xfce SFS depends on Gvfs, won't even start without it... all kinds of errors. Was a lot of work to compile but works OK here with Gvfs, better still with Udisks. Both of those SFS files are at http://lhpup.org/sfs/514-x86_64/
CPUMON on right of taskbar often goes to 100% (looks worrying) but when checked with other monitors (GKrellM) the cpu use is low <25%.

Had problems with the new make a save file dialog. Too easy to have launched two or three - then if u cancel one it shuts the box down no session saved!
I'm working on the CPU usage, try disabling auto-fstab-d (Menu -> System -> BootManager -> Services) if it happens with a CD/DVD in the tray. I've fixed a bug in my tweaks to PupShutdown, one of which allowed more than one save file dialog. Note, to cancel both the dialog and the shutdown, click on the 'X' close button at top right of the first yellow dialog box, as indicated in the title bar (image below.)
Jim1911 wrote:Hi TaZoC,

I loaded the KDE sfs and it is running great, however, I am having a slight problem now with JWM. When I am using JWM and reboot, the screen comes up without the installed background and all icons are missing. Selecting change WM and changing to JWM again restores the desktop.

Removed 4-KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-L1.sfs and Gv-1.8.1-x86_64.sfs and the problem disappears.

Otherwise, it's working fine.

Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim, thanks for the bug report and clear description. The ROX icons and startkde4 scripts in 5.13 were buggy, have made several changes to clear things up. Will test with JWM and reboot. Also have some fixes for the KDE and Compiz SFS to build next week, though my priorities are the base ISO atm.
Barburo wrote:In 513 I'm getting the same problem from before with LXDE - set the background once and you cannot change it.
Oh, I forgot to work on that :oops: OK, I put it on my to do list...

-TaZoC
Attachments
cancel_shutdown.jpg
(57.31 KiB) Downloaded 1021 times
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Barburo

#23 Post by Barburo »

Barburo wrote:
In 513 I'm getting the same problem from before with LXDE - set the background once and you cannot change it.
Tazoc wrote:
Oh, I forgot to work on that OK, I put it on my to do list...
No prob taz, I was just doing testing - not sure how many users of LXDE there are, but when you included the Fusion desktop I switched to it instead and it works well for me.

I know you had a poll one time on your webpage to vote on users' favorite WMs - were there many for LXDE? I had used LXDE it because it supports C-F, but with Fusion (which seems to mirror openbox) I no longer use it, and I wonder if anyone else does.
B.

Q5sys

#24 Post by Q5sys »

Barburo wrote:
Barburo wrote:
Tazoc wrote:
Oh, I forgot to work on that OK, I put it on my to do list...
No prob taz, I was just doing testing - not sure how many users of LXDE there are, but when you included the Fusion desktop I switched to it instead and it works well for me.

I know you had a poll one time on your webpage to vote on users' favorite WMs - were there many for LXDE? I had used LXDE it because it supports C-F, but with Fusion (which seems to mirror openbox) I no longer use it, and I wonder if anyone else does.
B.
I bounce between Openbox and LXDE. Depends on what system Im using. For my laptop I exclusively use OpenBox. I tend to use LXDE when I have more than 2 monitors, so for my 4 monitor machine at my house I'll probably be running LXDE. As for other WMs...
I've never been a fan of Gnome till the v3 came out. Im going to try my hand at building it for LHP when its released and stable. KDE... well I liked v3, but v4 seemed to become too thick. Beautiful eye candy... but too much system resource usage. Good for impressing Win users though, haha. Might try Trinity on LHP, again when its stable. I've never been a fan of XFCE. Seemed to much like v2 Gnome but worse. lol.

tazoc

Background/Icon bugs, Favorite Desktop poll results

#25 Post by tazoc »

Today I re-worked the Monkey Web Server scripts and it seems to work much better now. I added a 'Preview' in defaultbrowser button to the MWS startup dialog.

I also spent a couple of hours this morning trying to reproduce the LXDE and JWM background bugs reported by Barburo and Jim1911 without success. I first tested in 5.14 and then went back to a new frugal install of 5.13 with the KDE and Gvfs SFS files installed via the boot-up SFS selection prompt. I changed backgrounds often in both LXDE (Desktop Preferences) and JWM, (Background Settings) including both JPEG and PNG images, using all background modes. I used Show-Hide Icons several times, restarted X often and rebooted from JWM several times. The backgrounds never failed to show except for a few seconds at initial X startup. The only icon failure was the drive icons piling up at the lower left corner after using Show-Hide Icons, which is fixed in 5.14.

I'm wondering if there is some app I haven't installed, or possibly a bug that only appears when using sfs_load-on-the-fly, Wallpaper Setter or even with a certain display driver. Any suggestions are welcome.
Barburo wrote:I know you had a poll one time on your webpage to vote on users' favorite WMs - were there many for LXDE? I had used LXDE it because it supports C-F, but with Fusion (which seems to mirror openbox) I no longer use it, and I wonder if anyone else does.
B.
The final tally of that (unscientific) poll is attached below. I think I took it down early last Spring. Fusion (Compiz-standalone w/ROX desktop) is what I use most often. I like KDE also, but the full desktop takes too long to start for me. I like being able to run most KDE apps from any desktop.

The desktop (right-click) menu system in Fusion (called Compiz Boxmenu) is getting slow toward the lower application categories with lots of apps installed, so I've added an alternative menu layout. A new dialog in the Fusion menu category will allow switching to a much faster and taller menu template, with the application categories at the top level. The alternative layout is static, (updates via Refresh Menus, aka fixmenus) so it doesn't have to build all the entries on-the-fly the way the default dynamic menu does. It will be easy to switch between layouts as desired, saving any customization of the dynamic menus before the switch. That will be in a minor update of the Compiz-Fusion SFS I'm planning to build shortly after releasing Lighthouse 64 5.14.

-TaZoC
Attachments
window_manager_poll.png
(37.19 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Jim1911

Re: Background/Icon bugs, Favorite Desktop poll results

#26 Post by Jim1911 »

tazoc wrote:I also spent a couple of hours this morning trying to reproduce the LXDE and JWM background bugs reported by Barburo and Jim1911 without success. I first tested in 5.14 and then went back to a new frugal install of 5.13 with the KDE and Gvfs SFS files installed via the boot-up SFS selection prompt. I changed backgrounds often in both LXDE (Desktop Preferences) and JWM, (Background Settings) including both JPEG and PNG images, using all background modes. I used Show-Hide Icons several times, restarted X often and rebooted from JWM several times. The backgrounds never failed to show except for a few seconds at initial X startup. The only icon failure was the drive icons piling up at the lower left corner after using Show-Hide Icons, which is fixed in 5.14.
The only addition I had made was radky's Pupsnap 64 bit edition (works great), and that was after the problem occurred so I could make a picture of the desktop. The problem showed up after installing KDE and Gvfs sfs files through the bootmanager. Prior to that I was using JWM and had changed the wallpaper. Then when I switched back to JWM, upon reboot I got a black background with no icons as shown above. Selecting change WM and selecting the current WM (JWM) brought the desktop and icons back. After removing the KDE and Gvfs sfs files the problem has not reoccurred with JWM. I did not try the LXDE desktop.

I suspected that the problem has something to do with the intel graphics on my laptop. However, I did duplicate the problem (EDIT, only one time) on my desktop computer which has Nvidia graphics. Another possibility is some difference between the KDE and Gvfs sfs files that I downloaded and the ones that you are using.

Regards,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Thu 08 Dec 2011, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.

Barburo

#27 Post by Barburo »

... so LXDE is used by quite a few people. I wonder what WMs are represented by the leading "Other" total. Gnome (Ubuntu/Mint)? Surely not Windows (arrgh!)

Like Jim1911 I have integrated Intel graphics on my laptop, so maybe his conjecture about the cause of the LXDE background problem is correct.

What you're planning for 5.14 looks great Taz, - I look forward to testing that release.
B.

Barburo

#28 Post by Barburo »

Here's what happens in LXDE re changing background once it's been set.
Firstly the wallpaper setter says it has changed the background but continues to display the first one set. On exit from LXDE to X the correct background is displayed for a brief moment (almost as if it were being overlaid by the first one).
B.

einar

Re: Smb sharing

#29 Post by einar »

Thanks alot Meshworks :), i edit the smb.conf and i can confirm that i works with Windows 7 on both LHP512 and 513. i used the :

[video]
path = /mnt/sda3/video
browseable = yes
guest ok = Yes
writeable = No
force user = root

Part and it worked combined with smbpasswd -L-a root. to make a root password. Windows 7 needs a user to log on to accses the shares.
Meshworks wrote:
The problem is how do i share other locations / disks ? say i want to share 5 or 6 of my harddrives. what do i do ?
hope this snip from my file /etc/samba/smb.conf helps...
Edit your copy to be something like this then restart samba.
I'm sure there are things others would do differently (or better) so any comments are welcome!

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
workgroup = MSHOME
netbios name = %h
server string = %h-SMB
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 192.168.0.0./24 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 127.0.0.1
security = share
force user = root
# Uncomment the following two lines if you want clients to follow symlinks.
#follow symlinks = yes  
#unix extensions = no
max protocol = SMB2
dns proxy = no

printing = cups
printcap name = cups 
load printers = yes
# Delete the two following lines if you don't want clients to follow symlinks.
follow symlinks = yes  
unix extensions = no
;[data]
;comment = Downloads
;path = /root/spot/Downloads
;writable = yes
;guest ok = yes

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

;*******************section aye***************** 
[ayedrive]
path = /mnt/sda3/aye
browseable = yes
guest ok = No
writeable = Yes
username = root
force user = root
read list = root
write list = root

Meshworks

#30 Post by Meshworks »

Sorry for the time its taken to respond.
I don't have an Nvidia card to test with... was that a Linux 64-bit driver?
Yes - it was the 64 driver.
it worked combined with smbpasswd -L-a root.
Well done - yes - a user has to be added to smbusers.

: )

Jim1911

Feature Request

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

It's working great on a frugal installation on an ext4 partition on my Dell Inspiron laptop with a wifi connection. However, it would be nice to have a battery monitor.

Edit: It appears that you already have a battery monitor, I'm using the KDE desktop and looked at Notifications and noticed that my battery has reached the warning level. Is there a setting to allow battery status to be shown on the task bar?

There is a fine widget that I had overlooked. :oops:

Thanks, :D
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Battery monitor
(15.63 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Barburo

#32 Post by Barburo »

Gkrellm has a battery monitor. It comes up as a default in LHP 513.
Low resource usage - it's been doing the job since 2004 in a compact efficient package that has lots of skins and configurability (plus webcams and other plug-ins available).
B.
Attachments
gk.png
(32.09 KiB) Downloaded 383 times

einar

#33 Post by einar »

Any news on 5.14 ?

Best regards

Einar

nickdobrinich

arrow key weirdness

#34 Post by nickdobrinich »

@Tazoc,
In LHP64 5.14-B4 I seem to have lost use of cursor movement by the arrow keys,
Left, Right and Up arrows do nothing.
Down arrow acts like Enter.
Also Del, Home, End, PageUp, PageDn do not work.
Backspace is ok.
Cursor positioning via the mouse works ok.
What a pain to edit this post.

EDIT:
Verified md5 checksum ok and the click-to-verify-mariner
May be because I migrated 5.12 L64save.4fs to 5.14
Investigating further starting from scratch.
Last edited by nickdobrinich on Sun 25 Dec 2011, 05:58, edited 2 times in total.

Jim1911

Re: arrow key weirdness

#35 Post by Jim1911 »

nickdobrinich wrote:@Tazoc,
In LHP64 5.14-B4 I seem to have lost use of cursor movement by the arrow keys,
Left, Right and Up arrows do nothing.
Down arrow acts like Enter.
Also Del, Home, End PageUp, PageDn do not work.
Backspace is ok.
Cursor positioning via the mouse works ok.
What a pain the edit this post.
I can't duplicate this problem, try a new download, however, post should be on this thread.