Racy NOP 5.2.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Henry

Henry's update

#76 Post by Henry »

NETBOOK - using Acer Aspire one, it all works, except the notorious "blind logout."
Even the somewhat fragile wireless is made usable by

Code: Select all

stay-connected-2.0-lucid.pet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DESKTOP - Everything I had in my previous QuiryNop-1.2 works in RacyNop making a complete custom business system, sharing the racysave.2fs files with the netbook. (The desktop is a Dell Optiplex 745. Frugal, live CD)

Only one small problem remains, which I'm writing to ask about. Reboot does not work in the desktop (it does in the netbook).
Sticks at ". . . session already saved 134.2867221 Restarting system."
and has to be forced off with the power switch. Power back on and the full sda1 fsck begins. Installing grub does not help this. QuirkyNop did not have this problem.

Shutoff does work, so that's what I use. Logout and Restart X also work in the desktop.

Henry

More of the RacyNop saga

#77 Post by Henry »

Please allow me to use this space to record my notes. I do have a strong interest in and have used Nops for years as my serious business OS. Also I guess gray follows this spot and am always hopeful of his input.

I had put some of this in the Racy-5.2.2 Final forum at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=480 as follows

Post subject: Racy 522 hangs on reboot (shutdown is OK.) Subject description: Actually it's RacyNop522 but Racy522 acts the same with pfix=ram.

Dell Optiplex 745 desktop, frugal, live CD. Everything I had in my previous QuiryNop-1.2 works in RacyNop making a complete custom business system, sharing the racysave.2fs files with my netbook, a definite plus.

There's a problem remaining in RacyNop=522 r1: Reboot does not work in my desktop (it does in my netbook). It freezes at ". . . session already saved 134.2867221 Restarting system." and has to be forced off with the power switch. I turn the power back on and the full sda1 fsck begins.

Other puppies than Racy do not have this problem in this computer. QuirkyNop and WaryNop, for example. Shutdown does work, so that's what I use. Logout and Restart X also work. This is not a huge problem, but hard crashes are not good.)

I have searched through miles of forums but have not found the answer to this specific problem, although many sounded similar.

Another intermittent problem I've seen: after accessing a USB HD or flash drive when I unmount it, it does unmount (contents disappear from the file manager), but the drive icon remains and I have to restart X or reboot to get rid of it. Doesn't happen every time.

This sounds like what Barry was blaming on unionfs and why he suddenly went to aufs, bringing out Racy-5.3. Have I got that right and am I stuck with this since RacyNop is based on 5.2.2?

This is always a hazard - a great derivative comes out and is adopted by keen users. Then the base program is debugged or improved but the derivative may not follow, leaving ordinary users behind. One cannot expect personal derivatives to have long term support. Even the flagships may falter - Barry has gone on to RaspberryPi. In any case I am happily using RacyNop now.

greengeek

#78 Post by greengeek »

Hi Henry - a couple of questions:
1) Does this behaviour occur on NOP522 if you have no savefile?
2) Does it occur if you use Racy522 installed in exactly the same way as your NOP522 install? (I got a bit confused about your subtitle implying that Racy522 showed the same behaviour only when you gave it the pfix=ram parameter. Maybe I misunderstood)

Henry

#79 Post by Henry »

greengeek wrote:Hi Henry - a couple of questions:
1) Does this behaviour occur on NOP522 if you have no savefile?
2) Does it occur if you use Racy522 installed in exactly the same way as your NOP522 install? (I got a bit confused about your subtitle implying that Racy522 showed the same behaviour only when you gave it the pfix=ram parameter. Maybe I misunderstood)
Thanks,
1. I think so. Will recheck.
2. Yes. I just used pfix=ram to insure and to make clear that it was not being affected by an installation. My impression is that Racy (Nop or not) is different in this respect from other programs I use.

Thanks for your interest. I'll get back to you.

Henry

What about new and old? (kernels)

#80 Post by Henry »

Confirming. Also I just ran Racy-5.3 and WaryNop-5.1.1, neither of which are on my computer, bare new CD isos. I think the Racys have something different that Wary and others do not. Of course I could be mistaken, but the end result is the same - I have a perfectly satisfactory RacyNop installation which is all I use, 24/7; I just can't reboot it.

EDIT: I need to clarify some things lest I appear completely ignorant. Perhaps Racy is too "new" for my computer. I don't consider my Dell Optiplex 745 "old." It's came with XP - I don't know exactly when it was made. Everything I've tried before has always worked with it.

However when I try the racysave.2fs from the desktop in my new Acer Aspire netbook, reboot works! BUT logout, which works in the desktop, does not, causing the "blind logout" and "double vision" described above. Is Racy too new for my desktop, too old or too new for my netbook? I think I'm tilting against windmills here.

Both my desktop and netbook are very usable, as long as i'm careful not to reboot in the desktop or logout in the netbook. I'm not making this up!

Henry

Can't print from Gimp in RacyNop

#81 Post by Henry »

One more thing I've been trying to do in RacyNop - print from from Gimp. It was never a problem in QuirkyNop.

@ gray:
Don't ask me which version of Gimp. I think I've tried them all . . . Could someone tell me if or how they got it to work here? Do we need a special version for RacyNop?

When I'm ready to print I look at print preview. It's blank and print puts out a blank page.

Yes, I know of several workarounds (printoxx, etc.) but I'd really like to print from Gimp as I always have.

I've been looking into this problem with some printing experts here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 172#647172
and they suggested I check with you, so here I am.

ozsouth

Reboot/Shutdown fix

#82 Post by ozsouth »

Henry, I edited /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig in each recent puppy, as shutdown/reboot regularly hung. Not quite sure why it works, but line 646 is commented out thus:

### exit 254 #wmreboot and wmpoweroff can cancel shutdown.

Henry

Re: Reboot/Shutdown fix

#83 Post by Henry »

ozsouth wrote:Henry, I edited /usr/sbin/shutdownconfig in each recent puppy, as shutdown/reboot regularly hung. Not quite sure why it works, but line 646 is commented out thus:

### exit 254 #wmreboot and wmpoweroff can cancel shutdown.
Thanks, ozsouth, but that did not affect my particular reboot problem.

greengeek

#84 Post by greengeek »

I would like to modify the desktop "farmhouse" image by "inverting" it so that it is back to front - placing the windmill on the right hand side where it will not interfere with the appearance of the icons. Can anyone suggest which folder contains the original "farmhouse" image please? thx.

EDIT: Actually, I just found it - it is in the /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops folder. Will try editing the image now.

Henry

"Solved" (Use PreciseNop, not RacyNop!)

#85 Post by Henry »

I wrote above:
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:07 am Post subject: Can't print from Gimp in RacyNop
Subject description: Gimp works otherwise.

One more thing I've been trying to do in RacyNop - print from from Gimp. It was never a problem in QuirkyNop
I am now cured of the gimp! I could not determine whether the printing problem was in Gimp or in RacyNop. I've used Gimp for years but it's development schedule is creepy and uncoordinated. Help is poorly integrated and of course it lacks a file browser. Having tried Fotoxx on and off for years and finally become comfortable with its odd but well conceived UI I have switched to Fotoxx ver. 12.01.1 as compiled by pemasu. This is many times smaller, simpler, and comparably capable to Gimp. It takes a while to get used to, but then some never get used to Gimp. Please note that I am looking at it as a photo editor, not a drawing creator!

This is the last version that uses Gtk-2, so I plan to stick with it for a while in Puppy . . .

EDIT: Nov 18,2012. I have advanced to PreciseNop and Gimp-2.8 now prints.)

EDIT: March 2013 Graphics editing: I continue to use mtPaint for routine and Gimp for more critical photo editing. I have dumped Fotoxx - good but quirky, and littered my hard drive with thumbnails that had to be searched and deleted folder by folder.
Last edited by Henry on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 23:41, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

Surprise - a NEW NOP from gray

#86 Post by Henry »

gray, I happened to see this on your usual repository at
http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop

It seems that whenever I have my favorite NOP (currently RacyNop) installed to my satisfaction you bring out a new one to tempt me.

Actually, I've been following Saluki for some time. It uses Xfce already (a requirement for me). It also seems to attempt rational remastering.

I have just now downloaded it with the blue gum? trees. Well blue anyway.

Thanks, Henry

Marv

A new NOP from gray

#87 Post by Marv »

Thanks for the pointer Henry. As an old boxpup fan currently using Saluki 023 alongside a much loved and modded boxpup, I had to give it a spin. It is indeed Saluki set up with grays inimitable touch. Very much as I like Saluki pruned and honed. I diddled with the panels and Opera a bit for look and feel, turned off the desktop icons and it runs well and looks good. It certainly deserves a thread in the derivatives section. I did have to copy the intel ipw2200 firmware from /lib/modules/all-firmware/ip2200 to /lib/firmware to get my intel pro wireless card to work, much as in the first release of wheezey. Other than that it is swimmingly happy on both my laptops, a Dell D610 and a Fujitsu S6120, both intel i915 graphics, Pentium M processors, 1Gb memory, Grub4dos installs to cf cards in ide adaptors or USB drives accessed from Plop on the primary cf card Grub4dos setup. Idle CPU use on the Fujitsu, slightly the slower machine is < 4%. The Dell < 3%.

As an aside, the hardware acceleration in Opera 12.02 actually seems to speed up HTML5 rendering and drop cpu use on these two i915 laptops. opera:gpu checks it, look for acceleration in opera:config and try it out. I usually run with flash on demand only but this isn't possible with HTML5 content.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Henry

New iso for RacyNOP

#88 Post by Henry »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81031

The above is highly recommended. ozsouth offers a new iso that is based on Racy-5.3.2 instead of 5.2.2
It has improvements from 5.3, most notably that unionfs is replaced by aufs making the desktop icons update correctly. Also no whiteouts.

The upgrade was trouble free, using the existing racysave.2fs (increased by just a few Mb), with everything working as before. The new kernel is 3.0.25

Henry

PreciseNop does not have these problems!

#89 Post by Henry »

gray's new PreciseNop has just emerged.

I am pleased to report that it does not have the "blind logout" and reboot problems reported in RacyNop -5.2.2 reported above.

greengeek

#90 Post by greengeek »

I'm struggling to modify the main menu - for example if I look at the "menu, document" menu I see an extra separator which sits above the "text editors" entry, but I can't work out how to remove the separator. Any ideas?