For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
darkcity

#31 Post by darkcity »

richardyusan

#32 Post by richardyusan »

this pupplet is great :D

maureenc

#33 Post by maureenc »

Thank you for this brilliant Puppy, Gray.

I have a problem with Opera though as it keeps forcing me to use Google Aus to search and I can't find a way around it!

Also, do you know if Ultra DMA BIOS settings can be used when running Linux? Mine was set to Code 2 as it previously had WINXP loaded, but I don't think this is right for Linux?

I wonder if this is the reason that the fan is going berserk? Is it trying to run run too fast? I don't know very much about theses settings, as you can see!

Cheers

Terryphi

#34 Post by Terryphi »

maureenc,

I don't know which country you are in but this is what you need to do:

You can add or amend a search engine in Opera using Tools>Preferences>Search.

Highlight the Google entry and select "Edit". You can see the URL used for the search by clicking on "Details" and looking in the address box. Copy this text somewhere and you should be able to work out what needs amending for your country. (You may already know the appropriate string from another browser or OS.) You can create a new Google entry for your country by selecting "Add" in the search settings screen and giving it a distinct name to avoid a clash with the existing Google entry. (For example, In the UK I name mine GoogleUK.) Also make your new Google entry the default search engine by selecting this option in the "Details" box.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

maureenc

#35 Post by maureenc »

Terryphi,

Thank you very much for that information. I will test it out on Opera on my desktop as I currently have gone back to Browserlinux on the old Packard Bell Easynote I was testing RacyNop on.

Reason being that I had a really frustrating time getting Wireless up and running and then stable on both Racy and Wary. I don't understand why it is a two minute job to setup on Browserlinux and it keeps on working after every bootup.... But on the other versions it just won't work properly.... Even though the setup is exactly the same.

I have a headache from trying today so will wait for a few days before I try again, I think!

Having this noisy fan doesn't help.

I noted that Gray said that the revised version (which I had loaded) has Imsensors..... I couldn't find it anywhere on mine.

Many thanks.

maureenc

#36 Post by maureenc »

Aaaargh.... This is so frustrating....

I love this Racy NOP but some of it doesn't seem to like me....

I get my Linksys card working fine in Simple Network Setup.... It won't set up properly using the Wizard because that wants to add "restricted" to my "managed" WEP setup..... Which works perfectly OK without it using SNS!....And also in Browserlinux.

But when I reboot, Racy doesn't recognize the PCMIA card until I eject it and the put it back in again..... Does anyone know why this should be the case? I've trawled through zillions of posts but there doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer....

Today I ended up accidentally overwriting my etc/rc.d/rc.local file by pasting in my Network details! How the heck do I find out what should be in there?

I would be really grateful for any info....

maureenc

#37 Post by maureenc »

I had to give up with RACY NOP, Gray because I just could not get the Internet connection working smoothly.... It would set up OK eventually.... after much pfaffing about but then would be lost on the next startup.

I've gone back to Wary 5.2.1 on which the same Linksys card worked perfectly "straight out of the box" with no messing about at all.... and reboots beautifully.... Every time.

I will just have to uninstall all of the bits I don't want, won't I.

I did like your version though... And I have installed Thunar....

CRF

#38 Post by CRF »

Gray,

I love your NOP puppies...

Any chance you might come out with a Lucid NOP?

Max Headroom

G'day Gray, I Herd U Missed Me, I'm back...

#39 Post by Max Headroom »

Pet or SFS, Thanx

:)K
Ps. Go the Blues!

mistfire

Flickering Mouse Pointer and extreme display brightness

#40 Post by mistfire »

Gray i noticed that the mouse pointer in Racy Nop in flickering. It appears and disappears and the display brightness is high. I hope this problem will be resolved on the next Racy nop release

Henry

EDIT: Item 1. only SOLVED

#41 Post by Henry »

Good Day,

Haven't been to a Nop forum in a while, although I've used one Nop or another exclusively since the first.

Have finally switched to this one, racyNOP-5.2.2r1 from my long term favorite, QNop-1.2.

Main reason was that my new Aspire One netbook needed a newer kernel.

I am very pleased with both Racy and Aspire. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How does one remove the tray applets for savefile space and for battery state. They work well enough but take up tray space, and the pwidgets are better I think.
EDIT: Simply move the unwanted item(s) from /root/Startup to some folder in /mnt/home. They can be moved back to restore.

2. Early on above I read Geoffrey's patch for a logout problem, which I think gray implemented in r1. I still seem to have this problem or similar. Any word on that?

Thanks
Last edited by Henry on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Scanner and wireless don't work.

#42 Post by Henry »

I've been completing configuration and testing of RacyNop for serious work, and despite lots of research and effort I cannot seem to detect my scanner or to use wireless.

My impression is that Racy itself and RacyNop both have these problems. Before going into detail, I would like to ask if anyone has had success with them.

(I should say that wired ethenet and printing on th HP 4480 all-in-one work well.)

rcrsn51

Re: Scanner and wireless don't work.

#43 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:I've been completing configuration and testing of RacyNop for serious work, and despite lots of research and effort I cannot seem to detect my scanner or to use wireless.
What model is this? A Deskjet F4480 or a Photosmart C4480?

What have you tried so far? What driver packages? What scanner software?

Does scanning work when connected by USB?

Does your unit work in other Puppies?

Henry

#44 Post by Henry »

Hello -good to hear from theexpert on printing and scanning!

rcrsn51 wrote:

What model is this? A Deskjet F4480 or a Photosmart C4480?

An HP Photosmart 4480 that I've used for years daily with my QuirkyNop-1.2.

I just move the USB cable to the adjacent new Acer Aspire One 722, Linux 3.0.7 [i686 arch]
I plan to go RacyNop in the old computer too. I think it has the same problem there. but I'll recheck and confirm that shortly (have to get oof here before doing that)

What have you tried so far? What driver packages?
What scanner software?

I use basically the same software in both computers. Printing works well in both. I'll check the list and get it to you shortly, but basically it's the normal Xsane, HPliplite, sane-backends, etc. Tried Peasyscan for comparison. Same symptoms.

Yes, when it works, of course..

Does your unit work in other Puppies

My unit (the 4480) works perfectly with my usual QuirkyNop-1.2

Off to check the list. Will return.

Henry

Henry

#45 Post by Henry »

RacyNop has the same problem (No scanners found) in my good old everyday machine.

This list is pretty much what I have in both machines:

sane-backends-1.0.21-q1
libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4
sdl-1.2.11
mesa-7.6-q1
xsane-0.997-patched-w5
libgphoto2-2.4.8-q1
hpliplite-3-11.5
CUPS-1.4.1

Henry

rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:This list is pretty much what I have in both machines:
sane-backends-1.0.21-q1
xsane-0.997-patched-w5
The first thing I noticed about RacyNOP is that Gray stripped out all the scanner components. I was able to put some of my own stuff back in and get scanning working with my HP Officejet wifi. But it should be Gray's responsibility to provide a compatible scanner package.
libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4
hpliplite-3-11.5
CUPS-1.4.1
I used my own hplip-print package and got wifi printing working with the built-in CUPS 1.3.11. I don't know if the above combination is compatible with RacyNOP. But as far as CUPS is concerned, there is no difference between wired Ethernet and wifi. As long as the device has a valid IP address, CUPS should auto-detect it.

Yes, when it works, of course..
?????

Henry

#47 Post by Henry »

BTW the reason I went from CUPS-i.3.1 to 1.4.1 was that it was required by Libreoffice to print, as I recall.

There are many troubles associated with wifi ("wireless") in Racy when I search the forum. It looks like a mess. I'm not a wireless expert but it seems RacyNop gets a wireless connection just as well as it gets an ethernet one but it doesn't get any data from it and/or keep it. Wish I could say that better.

PS: Oh, now I understand your question about USB. I had no idea you were referring to a wireless printer. The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.

Henry

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Henry wrote:The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.
Now I understand. I am surprised that your combination of PETs supports printing but not scanning. What happens if you run "xsane" from the command line? Do you get any error messages?

Or run the commands "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L".

Henry

#49 Post by Henry »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Henry wrote:The only way the 4480 can print/scan is by USB. When I say wireless I'm only talking about the router.
Now I understand. I am surprised that your combination of PETs supports printing but not scanning. What happens if you run "xsane" from the command line? Do you get any error messages?

Or run the commands "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L".
xsane gives a popup "no devices available"

# sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x6c11 [Photosmart C4400 series]) at libusb:001:008
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.
#

scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
#

Henry

#50 Post by Henry »

I just took a screen shot of my current RacyNop. (Top photo)
Actually, everything is in good order except the scanning and wifi. http://www.henrystrobel.com/linux.htm