How do I install the latest Firefox/Chrome Version?

Using applications, configuring, problems
yadielfeliciano

How do I install the latest Firefox/Chrome Version?

#1 Post by yadielfeliciano »

I'm new to Puppy Linux, and I would like to know how to install the most recent versions of Chrome or Firefox on Puppy Linux, I checked on quickpet but it has outdated versions.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

I don't know about Chrome, but Firefox has an update feature you can call from within Firefox. If you have Firefox 4 or higher, I believe it defaults to automatic updates. (There have been reports from Puppy users about problems getting Firefox 8 to work after it auto-updated from FF7, though, with some solutions, on the forum.) If it's not enabled, the check-for-updates button can be found within the About window.

If you have Firefox 3/3.6, I think you have to manually select the check-for-updates feature under the Help menu.

So, you can install an older version of Firefox and tell it to update to the newest versions, if you prefer.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

un-named-one

#3 Post by un-named-one »

Welcome to Puppy Linux [Edit]yadielfeliciano[/Edit]!

What version ov Puppy are you using: Slacko (there is only one version ov this: 5.3), Lucid (5.2.5, 5.2.8, etc), or something else?
It would be very useful to know that.

If you are running puppy and you're not sure what version you are running, you can click on the free space icon and a window will appear at the top of the screen. (The free space icon is at the bottom left in most puppies. It has green, orange, or red bar(s) depending on how much space is left in your save file.)

Since quickpet doesn't have the latest version, you should try the Puppy Package Manager.
It can be launched this way:
(In Lucid) Menu>Setup>Setup Puppy>Puppy Package Manager
(In Slacko) Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager

Is the version of Firefox or Chromium you want in there?
Last edited by un-named-one on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

un-named-one: Did you mean to address me, or yadielfeliciano? :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Makoto- NOT <wink> you.

un-named-one

#6 Post by un-named-one »

Oh yes, I actually was replying to the original post.

When I was writing the post, I scrolled down to see the poster's user name and the the list shows the oldest post first. I suppose that I wasn't paying enough attention.

Sorry for any confusion that this may have caused anyone :roll:

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

Beware Firefox 8 under Puppy. It may just be my settings, but it has a tendency to lock up on my machines.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Hey Burn- have you come across the supposed fix?

Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

Ta! that helps. I did look for a fix, but missed that.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett