Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
scsijon

#961 Post by scsijon »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Hi jemimah,

I just managed to get my canon mp280 working, I scanned and image and saved as a pdf, some where alone the line evince from adrv_luki_010.sfs gets overwritten with the script in puppy_luki_010.sfs /usr/bin/evince

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#BK nov 2007
#it seems built-in to gtk and gnomeprint print-dialogs, if choose print-
#preview, tries to run 'evince' -- which is a Gnome document viewer.
#i looked at what gets passed into this 'evince' script when try to print-
#preview from Leafpad:
#--unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings /tmp/settings5F8P1T.ini /tmp/previewQ2HM1T.pdf
#...interesting, it's a pdf file. so, do this...

ONLYFILENAMES="`echo -n "$*" | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -v '^-' | grep 'pdf$' | tr '\n' ' '`"

exec epdfview $ONLYFILENAMES
Yikes, I wonder where that's coming from.
it's in woof's rootfs-skeleton/usr/bin/evince

scsijon

#962 Post by scsijon »

smokey01 wrote:PPM is not playing nice.

There seems to be more files in the package list than are being displayed in PPM.

http://smokey01.com/saluki/Packages-pup ... i-official

Psip is in the list but can't be seen in PPM however, if can be found when searched for.
not trying to suck-eggs, but, you don't have a psip installed already, do you?

ppm, when working right is not suppose to show another if one is already installed, even if there is an update.

jemimah

#963 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote: Midori too. Though it appears that pulls too many deps. Only needed plugins-base I believe. But I guess better be safe than sorry.
It might run without the plugins, but media playback won't work.

jemimah

#964 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:I noticed that not all the xfce4 settings are in the base sfs( panel pliguns for example). May be it's better to have them in or make an additional pet?
There are additional pets.

http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... ns-1.0.pet

You can see the full list of what's in the adrive by examining /root/.packages/adrive-installed-packages.

jemimah

#965 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:The sound settings are not persistent between reboots.

Each time I reboot I have to reset them, mainly input such a mic etc.
I've added this to my todo list.

jemimah

#966 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:PPM is not playing nice.

There seems to be more files in the package list than are being displayed in PPM.

http://smokey01.com/saluki/Packages-pup ... i-official

Psip is in the list but can't be seen in PPM however, if can be found when searched for.
It's a ppm bug.

To fix:

Stop ppm
delete /tmp/petget* and /tmp/filter*
Start the ppm again and it should work

jemimah

#967 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:
Tried the following SFSs over just the base
Gimp, VLC, LibreOffice, Opera, Printer-scanner
VLC seems OK and I watched a movie with Ogle DVD player yesterday. Very good program. :)
I have also been looking at the other two WM
Icewm and jwm 8)
(shutdown go to prompt and type xwn icewm or xwin jwm)
They both seemed to be there but a little confused by xfce programs :?
For example I could not change the wallpaper in icewm

FF10 is stable at browsing but if I restart x windows it gives me the option to restore my tabs but then does not. It almost seems like there is a second Firefox somewhere. Maybe I will type top at the terminal and see what is going on . . .

Is help working in the (very good) screenshot program? It is not in icewm :?
Icewm is not installed by default. It's probably falling back to jwm.

Screenshooter Help definitely doesn't work.

I really don't recommend changing the window manager at this point. I haven't tested it at all and I lot of stuff works in xfwm that won't work in other window managers.

jemimah

#968 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
mavrothal wrote:One issue likely related to SFS_load, is that menu entries are not updated till you restart X, either when you load or unload an SFS.
Also LibreOffice does not show the application icons in the menu, till you install any pet and menus are updated through the PPM call.
Try typing fixmenus in the terminal that should update the menu.

Jemimah's aware of the icon's not showing, that's to do with the SFS-loader not updating the hicolor icon cache, it's in the to do list and a patch for the SFS-loader has yet to be implemented.
Actually it has been implemented. It just apparently didn't fix the problem. I will force a fixmenus to run.

jemimah

#969 Post by jemimah »

scsijon wrote:
jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Hi jemimah,

I just managed to get my canon mp280 working, I scanned and image and saved as a pdf, some where alone the line evince from adrv_luki_010.sfs gets overwritten with the script in puppy_luki_010.sfs /usr/bin/evince

#!/bin/sh
#BK nov 2007
#it seems built-in to gtk and gnomeprint print-dialogs, if choose print-
#preview, tries to run 'evince' -- which is a Gnome document viewer.
#i looked at what gets passed into this 'evince' script when try to print-
#preview from Leafpad:
#--unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings /tmp/settings5F8P1T.ini /tmp/previewQ2HM1T.pdf
#...interesting, it's a pdf file. so, do this...

ONLYFILENAMES="`echo -n "$*" | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -v '^-' | grep 'pdf$' | tr '\n' ' '`"

exec epdfview $ONLYFILENAMES
Yikes, I wonder where that's coming from.
it's in woof's rootfs-skeleton/usr/bin/evince
The real question is how it jumped from the bottom layer to the top. Probably the init script doing something I don't want.

elroy

#970 Post by elroy »

Hi Jemimah,

I've notice while using Thunar, and it does't happen in the root directory but in the Filesystem directory, when I right click and delete a file, or press the DEL key, that the file remains. If I do so again, I get a 'File not there. Error trashing file.' error.
Going to the Trash confirms it was deleted, and returning to the original file location shows the file gone. Is this the desired behavior by default, or a redraw or permision error?

jemimah

#971 Post by jemimah »

I think it's a problem with Thunar/inotify. Ctrl-R will refresh it manually. I have no idea how to fix it.

I'm not sure under which circumstances it has a problem - maybe only on FAT filesystems or mounted drives.

elroy

#972 Post by elroy »

Thanks for the quick reply, Jemimah. If it helps any, I'm using ext4, frugal install, on the main partition of my hard-drive.

I did another install with no save-file just to confirm it wasn't something I had done on my end, like break Thunar, but I got the same results. Will try the Ctrl-R method from here on out unless I can figure out a script that'll do the same.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#973 Post by Lobster »

Thunar/inotify
You could download rox from the Puppy Package Manager (somewhere in the control panel)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

elroy

#974 Post by elroy »

Hey Lobster,

I did as you suggested, which is actually a good idea, but the same behavior persisted.

I know that from my own experience using Thunar, the rox filer allowed me to auto-mount ISO's, which I couldn't figure out how to do without it in Thunar; didn't have to use it; just had to be installed. Shared libraries, I would guess.

But in this case it doesn't seem to solve the problem.

smokey01

#975 Post by smokey01 »

scsijon wrote: ppm, when working right is not suppose to show another if one is already installed, even if there is an update.
True but that mean one has to uninstall the old version before the new?

smokey01

#976 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:I think it's a problem with Thunar/inotify. Ctrl-R will refresh it manually. I have no idea how to fix it.

I'm not sure under which circumstances it has a problem - maybe only on FAT filesystems or mounted drives.
I'm not seeing that error here on ext3.

Jim1911

#977 Post by Jim1911 »

This problem still continues to exist. Manual frugal installation with latest versions on ext4 partition on Dell Inspiron Laptop will not boot. Goes to a gray screen.

Menu.lst

title Puppy Test (sda7/test)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /test/initrd.gz
  kernel /test/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd psubdir=test pfix=fsck
  initrd /test/initrd.gz
  • Maybe some Hardware Information about the Dell Inspiron Laptop will help generate some ideas. Saluki must be able to boot on late model laptops.
    Chip description:
    2.0 VGA compatible controller
    Intel Corporation i7 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    oem: Intel(R)Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
    product: Intel(R)Sandybridge Mobile Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
    Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.9.5
    dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
    depth of root window: 24 planes
I also created a USB installation using my desktop computer and it gives the same problem when trying to boot on laptop.

Saluki 010 works great on my desktop which also has the intel i7 processor. I was successful installing the latest NVIDIA driver on it and everything appears to be working fine. Only problem I'm having with it is that I am unable to move a directory from /root/ to /mnt/home and then create a symlink back to /root using Thunar. Right clicking on Symlink does nothing.

Cheers,
Jim

Geoffrey

#978 Post by Geoffrey »

Jim1911 wrote: Only problem I'm having with it is that I am unable to move a directory from /root/ to /mnt/home and then create a symlink back to /root using Thunar. Right clicking on Symlink does nothing.
That works for me, move dir to /mnt/home, then rightclick hold and drag it back to /root "link here" rightclick Create Systemlink don't work in /mnt/home, you can't create a systemlink there.

Jim1911

#979 Post by Jim1911 »

Geoffrey wrote:
Jim1911 wrote: Only problem I'm having with it is that I am unable to move a directory from /root/ to /mnt/home and then create a symlink back to /root using Thunar. Right clicking on Symlink does nothing.
That works for me, move dir to /mnt/home, then rightclick hold and drag it back to /root "link here" rightclick Create Systemlink don't work in /mnt/home, you can't create a systemlink there.
Thanks, however, when I try to symlink, rightclick Hold and drag it back to /root, it immediately copies the dir and there is no option "link here" or otherwise. I'll try a new download, maybe mine is bad.
EDIT: Solved the problem with symlinks by installing ROX using PPM.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#980 Post by Geoffrey »

Jim1911 wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Thanks, however, when I try to symlink, rightclick Hold and drag it back to /root, it immediately copies the dir and there is no option "link here" or otherwise. I'll try a new download, maybe mine is bad.
That's strange, one other way is to use the send to "Desktop (Create link)" then cut and paste it into root, if that don't work then there is something wrong.