Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#931 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:You may want to include something like defaults chooser in the base, but a version that will ignore or cross check the entries of the /usr/local/bin/default* against available apps first (like defaults wizard).
This would be very handy for those starting with the base and building their own adrv.
But maybe you are already plan this for the adrv maker.
I do want to have one. But all existing implementations need work.

Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.

PdefaultApps is incomplete and doesn't work all that well.

I'd rather give the user a list of every app on the system for each category than be too restrictive.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#932 Post by Lobster »

The linux version does use wine.
ah yes :oops:
Stopped using Seamonkey 2.7 (was locking up with lots of tabs and videos) and went
over to FF 10 (that seems to be working fine) :-)

Rox filer pet seems to be working OK
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#933 Post by Iguleder »

Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jemimah

#934 Post by jemimah »

Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
Works for browsers - but can be confusing for other categories.

For instance here's what pdefaultapps has for chat client:

Code: Select all

name=`cat /usr/share/applications/$i | grep Name | grep IRC | head -1` 
Doesn't work for Pidgin.

It's not that the concept is bad - just needs more work.

technosaurus

#935 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.
Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? Wink
90% of the code for it is in jwm_menu_create (destop file parsing and category distribution) if someone wants to repurpose it, but I was thinking a little outside the norm (as per usual) ... What if it was set up so that simply running an app from the menu _could_ auto-select it as default for its category?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Billtoo

Saluki

#936 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of 010 using the universal installer, after using
gparted.
I used grub4dos afterwards.
I used the puppy package manager to download Firefox 10.0 and VLC
I installed the Nvidia proprietary driver.

Sat 4 Feb 2012 Operating System: Saluki-010 Linux 2.6.39-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 220] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA product: GT216 Board - 0682vb12 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 275.43
# glxgears
30549 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6109.653 FPS
30580 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6115.973 FPS
30571 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6114.141 FPS

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 MHz

Good so far, more setting up to do yet.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(136.31 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

mikeslr

Saluki 010 -- Startup Instructions re Frisbee missing

#937 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all,

I downloaded the Saluki 010 ISO, unpacked it, and copied it boot files into my Test Folder-- Saves having to re-write Grub4Dos menu.lst frequently. Rebooted into Saluki 010. Laziness is the mother of invention.
I noticed that when booting up the first time, after choosing time zone and clicking OK (a) there was no confirmation that it had been accepted [it had]; and (b) then no pop-up indicating how to get wireless working. Although I'm familiar with Frisbee, newbies might not be.
My system uses RaLink RT2561/RT61 for its wireless connection. Initiated Frisbee, which recognized my adapter and found my network, and I entered my WEP key. [Fios box does not understand WPA]. Frisbee reported "connected" but neither midori, nor Opera from mn/thome/opera was able to access the internet. Tried editing WEP key but received same result. [When first entering wireless settings there's a box which you can check so that you can see what you're typing. No similar box when you enter settings dialog via Edit. So I'm not sure if I didn't mistype several time. At any rate, I shut down without creating a SaveFile, rebooted and had no further problem with Frisbee-wireless. I'm posting from Saluki now. Chalk it up as a fluke until someone else reports problems.
When I unpacked the ISO, in addition to a Puppy's usual boot files, I also copied adrv_luki...sfs to the same folder. On boot up, Saluki reports that it found it. So I guess I'm using it. But frankly, I don't really know what it is, nor how best to make use of it. I recall, I think, some discussion that some apps would remain in --again I think-- Saluki's "core" which I assume (read that as ass u & me) is identical to puppy_luki_xxx.sfs, while others usually found in the puppy.sfs would be placed in "adrive", and that there was some way to move them from one to the other. Mavrothal's recent post indicated that he had booted without adrv. Did he not copy it from the ISO, or copy it other than to Saluki's folder, and if the later where?
I've been working with Puppies for about 5 years. I've read Saluki's entire thread, 'though not in one sitting. All of which is to suggest that if I'm confused about adrv, what would a newby make of it? and to suggest that a detailed explanation --perhaps in a txt file found in my-documents, with a menu entry-- might be appropriate.
I appreciate that the use of adrv is an innovation. But that is all the more reason to provide some sort of guide. As it evolves, the guide/instructions can be edited.

mikesLr

8-bit

#938 Post by 8-bit »

I tried installing the only thing I could find in the Puppy Package manager for Cups from the Wary selection and doing a search for cups.
I then reinstalled the printer with the driver.
It had worked in both Lupu 520 and Slacko 5.3.1.
But when I go to print a test page in Saluki-10, Cups kicks back this error message.
"Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!".

So I still do not understand what is going on with it.
Is underlying postscript support not there in Saluki?

I also have a Zerox P12 lazer printer that uses postscript.
So, specifically, what am I missing?

Consider me as a new dumb user that had downloaded and installed Saluki.
If I cannot get a printer to work, I am going to figure that another OS would be better for me.

I am back from trying to also install my Zerox Docuprint P12 printer.
I supplied the PPD file and I got the same message as the error message above when trying to print a test page.
So, is CUPS broken in Saluki?
What can I do to fix it.
That is the only thing stopping me from running an otherwise great OS!

jemimah

#939 Post by jemimah »

8-bit wrote:I tried installing the only thing I could find in the Puppy Package manager for Cups from the Wary selection and doing a search for cups.
It's an sfs so you have to click "sfs downloader" in the ppm. I intend to make this more apparent in the next release. Probably with an offer to download it when you run the cups setup.

Tman

Re: Saluki 010 -- Startup Instructions re Frisbee missing

#940 Post by Tman »

mikeslr wrote:I've read Saluki's entire thread, 'though not in one sitting. All of which is to suggest that if I'm confused about adrv, what would a newby make of it?
mikeslr

In short, without the adrive.sfs file, Saluki would boot as a barebones pup.
Jemimah has separated the core files, from the extra apps, which is a brilliant idea. The adrive.sfs contains the extra apps.
This allows one to create his or her custom adrive.sfs to replace the original one.

jemimah

Re: Saluki 010 -- Startup Instructions re Frisbee missing

#941 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote: When I unpacked the ISO, in addition to a Puppy's usual boot files, I also copied adrv_luki...sfs to the same folder. On boot up, Saluki reports that it found it. So I guess I'm using it. But frankly, I don't really know what it is, nor how best to make use of it. I recall, I think, some discussion that some apps would remain in --again I think-- Saluki's "core" which I assume (read that as ass u & me) is identical to puppy_luki_xxx.sfs, while others usually found in the puppy.sfs would be placed in "adrive", and that there was some way to move them from one to the other. Mavrothal's recent post indicated that he had booted without adrv. Did he not copy it from the ISO, or copy it other than to Saluki's folder, and if the later where?
I've been working with Puppies for about 5 years. I've read Saluki's entire thread, 'though not in one sitting. All of which is to suggest that if I'm confused about adrv, what would a newby make of it? and to suggest that a detailed explanation --perhaps in a txt file found in my-documents, with a menu entry-- might be appropriate.
I appreciate that the use of adrv is an innovation. But that is all the more reason to provide some sort of guide. As it evolves, the guide/instructions can be edited.
I do intend to document this and make a tool to create a new adrive. It's just going to take some time - the whole concept is still under development.

The basics are this:

If saluki doesn't find the adrive - you get only the core, which has no applications at all. You can then (once I fix the deps on some of the packages) install only apps you like from the ppm or other sources and then remaster.

Or you will be able to use the adrive builder to make your own personal adrive - the advantage to doing it this way is that you can upgrade the core easily when a new version comes out.

8-bit

#942 Post by 8-bit »

Ok, I wish I would have known about that SFS file! A new user would not have known either. It should be included by default in the distribution as it is needed for CUPS for printing.
The good news is that after a reboot, I was able to print to my printers.
The bad news is that the driver "pixma-MP390" driver did not work for my Canon MP390 printer and I got a head jam when trying to print the test page. That was not a good thing.
I had to use an almost compatable driver in the Canon s800 driver.
I do not know why the other driver was shown when it does not work.
That is unless the test page that prints to the very edge of the paper was never tried for that driver and normal printing worked.
I would have to investigate further.

But anyway, thank you for pointing me to the SFS file and as I had said it really needs to be included as part of the distribution by default.
I mean sure, it would increase the size of the ISO. But with this version being made for late model PCs, a few more megs in size is not going to hurt anything and if you look at other OSes, their file size for the ISO is huge.
So what would it take to include it in the ISO and have it loaded by default?
Putting in a message to download and install that SFS would turn the user off as he would see an unfinished OS.
Am I making any sense?
That is my two cents worth on a great distribution that would be good for the windows users as it works more or less the same way with double-clicking and a control panel.

jemimah

#943 Post by jemimah »

Having printing in a separate sfs allows for easier maintenance and/or maintenance by another developer. Modularity is key to making Saluki supportable by a team.

It also means we can add a lot more printer drivers or upgrade to the newer, much larger, version of postscript without wasting a lot of RAM space for people who never print.

I can add the printer/scanner sfs to the ISO if people want but I think you'd all prefer not to keep downloading it over and over again during testing.

jim3630

#944 Post by jim3630 »

rarely print here. would rather not keep downloading during testing.

Geoffrey

#945 Post by Geoffrey »

Hi jemimah,

I just managed to get my canon mp280 working, I scanned and image and saved as a pdf, some where alone the line evince from adrv_luki_010.sfs gets overwritten with the script in puppy_luki_010.sfs /usr/bin/evince

#!/bin/sh
#BK nov 2007
#it seems built-in to gtk and gnomeprint print-dialogs, if choose print-
#preview, tries to run 'evince' -- which is a Gnome document viewer.
#i looked at what gets passed into this 'evince' script when try to print-
#preview from Leafpad:
#--unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings /tmp/settings5F8P1T.ini /tmp/previewQ2HM1T.pdf
#...interesting, it's a pdf file. so, do this...

ONLYFILENAMES="`echo -n "$*" | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -v '^-' | grep 'pdf$' | tr '\n' ' '`"

exec epdfview $ONLYFILENAMES
I noticed that xmenumaker didn't get updated to the latest version.
Attachments
xmenumaker.bz2
(5.26 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

jemimah

#946 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:Hi jemimah,

I just managed to get my canon mp280 working, I scanned and image and saved as a pdf, some where alone the line evince from adrv_luki_010.sfs gets overwritten with the script in puppy_luki_010.sfs /usr/bin/evince

#!/bin/sh
#BK nov 2007
#it seems built-in to gtk and gnomeprint print-dialogs, if choose print-
#preview, tries to run 'evince' -- which is a Gnome document viewer.
#i looked at what gets passed into this 'evince' script when try to print-
#preview from Leafpad:
#--unlink-tempfile --preview --print-settings /tmp/settings5F8P1T.ini /tmp/previewQ2HM1T.pdf
#...interesting, it's a pdf file. so, do this...

ONLYFILENAMES="`echo -n "$*" | tr '\t' ' ' | tr -s ' ' | tr ' ' '\n' | grep -v '^-' | grep 'pdf$' | tr '\n' ' '`"

exec epdfview $ONLYFILENAMES
I noticed that xmenumaker didn't get updated to the latest version.
Yikes, I wonder where that's coming from.

Thanks for the new xmenumaker - I know I forgot something.

Also thanks for the sfses that you uploaded!

smokey01

#947 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:
smokey01 wrote:
BTW as cairo has only one dependency why not bundle it with cairo. This would stop a lot of nagging from noobs and probably a few others. :wink:
There are other programs that depend on gtkglext so if I bundle it, things get confusing, or you might end up installing it multiple times or removing it when you actually needed it.

Not quite. When each program is installed a check of dependencies should be done, if the dependency exists then it's not installed. If this was the case the dependency would only be installed once.

If you install cairo-dock from the ppm it automatically installs gtkglext right?

No, you have to examine dependencies and download them separately. This is quite confusing. First I don't believe it checks to see if the dependencies exist, it just tells you they are required.

I could make it so the PPM doesn't ask you so many questions and just downloads the dependencies without making you read anything. Is that where the confusion is? Or is it something else?
I'm not sure how hard this would be implement but this is how I think it should work.

Click on Pet. Checks to see if the program is already installed.

a. If it is, it warns you and give you the option to abort
b. Checks to see if it's a later version of program
c. Check the OS, is it compatible?
d. Checks to see if dependencies exist

Once you say install, the program is installed and all required dependencies are also installed.

The packaging may need to be a bit more sophisticated but at least every time a program is installed there is a higher possibility it will work.

There are many packages that will work across various Puppies and then there are some that don't. It becomes very frustrating for noobs and not so noobs who get this wrong.

As you know the first time something doesn't work, you hear, Puppy is crap. Us more enlightened people know that not true but for people using Puppy for the first time, it has to work OOB.

Geoffrey

#948 Post by Geoffrey »

Oh! on the subject of Cairo Dock, if you Restart X windows it doesn't kill Cairo Dock, so you end up with two instances running, I did try a killall in the start script but that a crappy way of doing it, it needs to be stopped when exiting X.

jemimah

#949 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:
jemimah wrote:
smokey01 wrote:
BTW as cairo has only one dependency why not bundle it with cairo. This would stop a lot of nagging from noobs and probably a few others. :wink:
There are other programs that depend on gtkglext so if I bundle it, things get confusing, or you might end up installing it multiple times or removing it when you actually needed it.

Not quite. When each program is installed a check of dependencies should be done, if the dependency exists then it's not installed. If this was the case the dependency would only be installed once.

If you install cairo-dock from the ppm it automatically installs gtkglext right?

No, you have to examine dependencies and download them separately. This is quite confusing. First I don't believe it checks to see if the dependencies exist, it just tells you they are required.

I could make it so the PPM doesn't ask you so many questions and just downloads the dependencies without making you read anything. Is that where the confusion is? Or is it something else?
I'm not sure how hard this would be implement but this is how I think it should work.

Click on Pet. Checks to see if the program is already installed.

a. If it is, it warns you and give you the option to abort
b. Checks to see if it's a later version of program
c. Check the OS, is it compatible?
d. Checks to see if dependencies exist

Once you say install, the program is installed and all required dependencies are also installed.

The packaging may need to be a bit more sophisticated but at least every time a program is installed there is a higher possibility it will work.

There are many packages that will work across various Puppies and then there are some that don't. It becomes very frustrating for noobs and not so noobs who get this wrong.

As you know the first time something doesn't work, you hear, Puppy is crap. Us more enlightened people know that not true but for people using Puppy for the first time, it has to work OOB.
Part of the confusion is that the concept of dependencies has two different definitions.

The first checks a list of which packages are installed - this is done with package names only. The package maintainer is supposed to specify the packages names of the dependencies when making the pet. This is the type of check the ppm does when you click on a pet from the repo. This actually works pretty well if you stick to the "walled garden" of the ppm only, but I don't think it runs when you download a pet from an external location and click on it.

The second is the dependency check that runs ldd and checks for error messages about missing shared libs. This is done after the pet is installed. If it tells you about missing libs here, there is no real easy way to know which packages would provide the missing libs. There's no database that provides this info, so if the ldd check fails you are on your own.

The checks you suggest would not be terribly difficult to implement and would not require modifications to the pet format or anything like that. I'll work on it.

jemimah

#950 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:Oh! on the subject of Cairo Dock, if you Restart X windows it doesn't kill Cairo Dock, so you end up with two instances running, I did try a killall in the start script but that a crappy way of doing it, it needs to be stopped when exiting X.
Ok, will do.