Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#916 Post by Lobster »

Just about to try 010
I used the xfburn software for the first time ever - hope it worked - seemed simple 8)

posting this from JWM
(ctrl + alt + backspace, then type xwin jwm)

Wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

and blog updated
http://puppysaluki.posterous.com/

Saluki
So Luvvly
So get it!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

elroy

#917 Post by elroy »

I can get a DVD to play on Xnoise most of the time.
In the terminal emulator I do this (Ken Burns - The Civil War example):

mkdir /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5

Then, from Xnoise, File Open /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB

After having had time to test more, I've found that some chapters play fine, some play without audio,
and a couple have froze. Which would make sense if it were unsuported.

I have a few that I have on the hard drive as a large VOB file (the entire DVD content). Some of these play fine,
while with others the video freezes after a short period of time and the audio continues (they used to run in mplayer
with no problem).

That's why I was trying to do this via Xnoise, because I couldn't figure out how to open individual VOB's on Ogle.

Ogle has no problem running my DVD disc, though.

Going to go try out version 10.

cthisbear

#918 Post by cthisbear »

The newest Beta of Lucid 528 now works with b43 broadcom.
Lupu-528 TESTING 01a

Has mouse issues....but they will get fixed.

Any chance of contacting playdayz for fixes.

" This is an Experimental ISO - There is so much stuff in it that odds are that something is going to be wrong, but on the other hand, some things have been tested already (such as rerwin's patch-7) and some things are straightforward updates. Thanks especially to rerwin, radky, shinobar, tempestuous, and zigbert for their huge contributions. don570, BarryK, and tasmod also. The wallpaper is by dejan555. "

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 830#601830

Chris.

smokey01

#919 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah, the microphone recording is working fine in 10.

Also manage to get cairo working a bit better. It can be temperamental.

I'm getting some weird icons and types in Psip. I might have to do some coding in glade to make it better.

The initial error message saying 1280x1024 resolution can't be displayed is still there but a Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and setup in Xorgwizard fixes the problem.

I still can't get SVEN to accept the Windows key when setting up hot-keys. It's no longer a problem though as I have found a work around. Setting up hot-keys in the keyboard setup works just fine. It's not as intuitive as it could be. First you have to select the program you wish to run then press OK, then press the required hot-keys and OK again.

Other than that, no other problems discovered yet.

BTW as cairo has only one dependency why not bundle it with cairo. This would stop a lot of nagging from noobs and probably a few others. :wink:

Cheers.

jemimah

#920 Post by jemimah »

elroy wrote:I can get a DVD to play on Xnoise most of the time.
In the terminal emulator I do this (Ken Burns - The Civil War example):

mkdir /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5
mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5

Then, from Xnoise, File Open /mnt/Civil_War_Disc_5/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB

After having had time to test more, I've found that some chapters play fine, some play without audio,
and a couple have froze. Which would make sense if it were unsuported.

I have a few that I have on the hard drive as a large VOB file (the entire DVD content). Some of these play fine,
while with others the video freezes after a short period of time and the audio continues (they used to run in mplayer
with no problem).

That's why I was trying to do this via Xnoise, because I couldn't figure out how to open individual VOB's on Ogle.

Ogle has no problem running my DVD disc, though.

Going to go try out version 10.
Ah, ok that explains it.

Gstreamer has a large number of plugins that can be compiled. The difficulty is figuring out which plugins affect what and how.

What's there now is just what was able to compile by default, but adding more plugins could improve problems like this.

The problem is I don't know all that much about AV codecs so it's kind of trial and error.

There is a very basic player called slimp that I use for testing - you have to start it from the command line - it's not on the menu.

jemimah

#921 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:
BTW as cairo has only one dependency why not bundle it with cairo. This would stop a lot of nagging from noobs and probably a few others. :wink:
There are other programs that depend on gtkglext so if I bundle it, things get confusing, or you might end up installing it multiple times or removing it when you actually needed it.

If you install cairo-dock from the ppm it automatically installs gtkglext right?

I could make it so the PPM doesn't ask you so many questions and just downloads the dependencies without making you read anything. Is that where the confusion is? Or is it something else?

jemimah

#922 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
On a fresh frugal without adrv and before a first save. (eg now :D )

Installed from PPM in order and opened each one from terminal before the next pet installation :
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgstpbutils-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
streamtuner: /root/.streamtuner/config:150: live365: no such handler
Sreamtuner(trying to play a stream): Failed to execute child process "slimp" (no such file or directory)
Firefox OK
Geany OK
xarchiver OK
ristretto OK
gnumeric OK
abiword OK
pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (PPM also lists libstnetbuffer-.0.10.so missing but does not attempt to download after "more info")
gFtp OK
ogle OK (though:ogle_vout: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by ogle_vout) )
mtPaint OK
In all cases when "examine dependencies" was suggested all the dependencies where downloaded successfully.

HTH for dep checking (or/and base).
Ok, I will fix these shortly.

jemimah

#923 Post by jemimah »

cthisbear wrote:
Any chance of contacting playdayz for fixes.
You guys gotta help me out and suggest relevant fixes. I don't have enough room in my head to follow all the various development threads and go full steam on saluki.

Hopefully the good fixes filter up into woof and then back down into saluki at some point. At least that's what is supposed to happen.

Sage

#924 Post by Sage »

Not quite sure why fotoxx is crashing
I think this version of fottoxx is not so great. It can get screwed up if you try to cancel the little sync process it does at the first run. Perhaps we need to use an older version instead.
I like Fotoxx - small and fast - but have had a lot of grief with it in Mint. As usual, Jemimah is right on the button. Got an rsync fault message recently and, in clearing it, it deleted my Claws In&Sent-boxes, which seemed somewhat irrelevant in the circumstances. On balance, this might have to be a utility to avoid?
You guys gotta help me out and suggest relevant fixes.
Working on 10 today, but have problems every time I look at Wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki. May be old&grey but still get a shiver when a picture of such a stunningly good looking lady appears on the screen! Must be driving the Floridian guys crazy.
Full installs are hopefully fixed.
Amazingly fantastical - bingo: it works. Thanks a bunch. If you haven't tried the FULL yet, this worth a punt - fast and beautiful.

Still battling with matching/installing a FlashPlayer with Midori for BBC iPlayer operation. Obviously, we have an infantile joker on the thread who knows how to do it, but he isn't going to share the answers with non-SW folks like YT. All very schoolboyish - grow up!

ggg

#925 Post by ggg »

@ Sage

Re the final paragraph from your most helpful post immediately above:

I didn't just tell you how to do it (on page 60) I posted a picture for you.

Who needs to grow up. "Hire a six-year-old." was a quote from you, Sage.

Just answer the questions:

(1) has Opera failed you for the first time in a decade,

(2) is the lack of BBC iplayer your only problem with Midori. and

(3) can you back your assertion that SeaMonkey has serious problems?
Last edited by ggg on Sat 04 Feb 2012, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#926 Post by 8-bit »

When I went to set up my Kodak printer, I installed the driver for it first.
I then did a search for new printers and it was found in both the USB connection and the wireless connection.
After that, it installed fine with the provided driver.

But....
When I went to print a test page I got an error window in Cups that said that postscript was not supported!

Since most printers use postscript, that is a major flaw and so Cups needs some work.
I do not know if Glutenprint is installed as part of cups or not and also the Printer driver list is very sparce unless I am missing something.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#927 Post by Lobster »

in 010

Tried the new SFS in PPM
picassa . . . which seems to run using wine :?
The ability to output as a movie was not available in the Windows version
I thought there was a Linux version
other picassa alternatives
http://alternativeto.net/software/picas ... form=linux
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jemimah

#928 Post by jemimah »

8-bit wrote: I do not know if Glutenprint is installed as part of cups or not and also the Printer driver list is very sparce unless I am missing something.
Yes, there is a printer-scanner driver sfs in the ppm.

jemimah

#929 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:in 010

Tried the new SFS in PPM
picassa . . . which seems to run using wine :?
The ability to output as a movie was not available in the Windows version
I thought there was a Linux version
other picassa alternatives
http://alternativeto.net/software/picas ... form=linux
The linux version does use wine.

What's available now is preliminary. I've asked the maintainers to put whatever working pets and sfses they find in there. The selection should improve over time.

mavrothal

#930 Post by mavrothal »

You may want to include something like defaults chooser in the base, but a version that will ignore or cross check the entries of the /usr/local/bin/default* against available apps first (like defaults wizard).
This would be very handy for those starting with the base and building their own adrv.
But maybe you are already plan this for the adrv maker.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#931 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:You may want to include something like defaults chooser in the base, but a version that will ignore or cross check the entries of the /usr/local/bin/default* against available apps first (like defaults wizard).
This would be very handy for those starting with the base and building their own adrv.
But maybe you are already plan this for the adrv maker.
I do want to have one. But all existing implementations need work.

Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.

PdefaultApps is incomplete and doesn't work all that well.

I'd rather give the user a list of every app on the system for each category than be too restrictive.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#932 Post by Lobster »

The linux version does use wine.
ah yes :oops:
Stopped using Seamonkey 2.7 (was locking up with lots of tabs and videos) and went
over to FF 10 (that seems to be working fine) :-)

Rox filer pet seems to be working OK
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Iguleder

#933 Post by Iguleder »

Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

jemimah

#934 Post by jemimah »

Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? :wink:
Works for browsers - but can be confusing for other categories.

For instance here's what pdefaultapps has for chat client:

Code: Select all

name=`cat /usr/share/applications/$i | grep Name | grep IRC | head -1` 
Doesn't work for Pidgin.

It's not that the concept is bad - just needs more work.

technosaurus

#935 Post by technosaurus »

jemimah wrote:Does someone want to write one?

DefaultsChooser needs a list of all possible applications - so it's too high maintenance keeping up the list.
Iguleder wrote:Why list all programs when simple heuristics can be applied (e.g browsers have "WebBrowser" in their categories field)? Wink
90% of the code for it is in jwm_menu_create (destop file parsing and category distribution) if someone wants to repurpose it, but I was thinking a little outside the norm (as per usual) ... What if it was set up so that simply running an app from the menu _could_ auto-select it as default for its category?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].