Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 00:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 53 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 22:52    Post subject:  

Quote:
How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?

I prefer selecting programs from a wbar type interface. More access, to more programs with less clutter.
Is the non usage of woof2 far more of an issue? Perhaps . . .
Woof2 allows consistency and a common interface.

However . . .
Perhaps Puppy always includes revolution in its evolution.
I was going to warn about the problems associated with a very non standard Puppy (just in terms of support).
Quote:
we can drag icons from the menu

Sounds good.
. . . the non-standard in Puppy comes as standard.
By being on a different track
Saluki is on the right track. Bravo. Very Happy

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 00:21    Post subject:  

I'll support the No application launchers on the desktop vote.

Cairo Dock does it for me.

And jemimah I think your laptop tool deserves a icon that shows in cairo, instead of a ?
Code:
<window title=\"Laptop Tool\" icon-name=\"netbook-pc\">
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 01:21    Post subject: Desktop look  

I do not really know the real reason/logic behind the traditional puppy desktop look, but one value I see on it is to showcase what this "100MB" distro can do AOB!
Having said that, I find it cumbersome, specially for small screens, since any window will cover almost everything. I also do not like it aesthetically but this is a personal matter.
I usually setup XFCE in small screens with an auto-hide'able applications panel on the top. Instant access from anywhere at no extra resources.
Ideally, Saluki could show the traditional desktop on first boot and offer a setup option to shift to a more modern one i.e. no launchers but only the drivers, home and the trash on the desktop.
If not, go with the clean look. The abilities of puppy are mostly known by now Very Happy

magerlab

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 01:57    Post subject:  

here's another take with red gtk Very Happy

clearlooks and zuki blues theme ( which I installed). Zuki blues is red but it does look blue in Lucid
zuki.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  zuki.png 
Filesize  229.31 KB 
Downloaded  149 Time(s) 
clearlooks.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  clearlooks.png 
Filesize  166.35 KB 
Downloaded  145 Time(s) 

emil

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 05:19    Post subject:  

Think I report a compatibility issue. I was very surprised to find many old T2 packages from puppy 431 working. However when I tried to build the newest "sage" release I run into a problem. Usually sage have built more or less fine on most Puppy versions, however it seems it has become more demanding lately (maybe this is related that they try to fix some issues with the Apple OS).

The programm build fine in slacko. In Saluki the build failed with:
Code:
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src'
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing --run aclocal-1.11 -I m4
/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing: line 52: aclocal-1.11: command not found

I think aclocal is one of the tools that belong to the autoconf group. In saluki there is a slightly older version. Maybe it would be enough to install this autoconv version, but I don't have the time atm to investigate in detail. Would it breake something if the autoconf tools would be upgraded to the latest versions (maybe optional from Package manager)?
dawg

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 07:55    Post subject: Re: Desktop look  

mavrothal wrote:
I do not really know the real reason/logic behind the traditional puppy desktop look, but one value I see on it is to showcase what this "100MB" distro can do AOB!
Having said that, I find it cumbersome, specially for small screens, since any window will cover almost everything. I also do not like it aesthetically but this is a personal matter.
I usually setup XFCE in small screens with an auto-hide'able applications panel on the top. Instant access from anywhere at no extra resources.
Ideally, Saluki could show the traditional desktop on first boot and offer a setup option to shift to a more modern one i.e. no launchers but only the drivers, home and the trash on the desktop.
If not, go with the clean look. The abilities of puppy are mostly known by now Very Happy

I agree, keep it simple and useful.
I don't know about the rest, but personally, I prefer a desktop one can actually work on (e.g. Gnome, Windows, etc), as originally intended (I believe).
The traditional Puppy pinboard isn't really all that useful, and it's crowded with apps not everyone needs and/or uses. Keep the apps away in the menu or a bar-type thing where they don't keep distracting the user, and perhaps make them easily "copyable" to the desktop at user's will and -more importantly- choice.

And IMO, once this project is mature, it should be made the flagship Puppy, as it has the core greatness of the original Puppy + a contemporary look&feel! A winner combination Wink

ICQ Number 
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:46    Post subject:  

magerlab wrote:

clearlooks and zuki blues theme ( which I installed). Zuki blues is red but it does look blue in Lucid

So at least clearlooks doesn't look like that on my system. Does it look like that in pfix=ram mode? I'm guessing something you did broke it? Please post the contents of your /root/.gtkrc-2.0.
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:50    Post subject:  

emil wrote:
Think I report a compatibility issue. I was very surprised to find many old T2 packages from puppy 431 working. However when I tried to build the newest "sage" release I run into a problem. Usually sage have built more or less fine on most Puppy versions, however it seems it has become more demanding lately (maybe this is related that they try to fix some issues with the Apple OS).

The programm build fine in slacko. In Saluki the build failed with:
Code:
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src'
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing --run aclocal-1.11 -I m4
/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing: line 52: aclocal-1.11: command not found

I think aclocal is one of the tools that belong to the autoconf group. In saluki there is a slightly older version. Maybe it would be enough to install this autoconv version, but I don't have the time atm to investigate in detail. Would it breake something if the autoconf tools would be upgraded to the latest versions (maybe optional from Package manager)?

Racy has aclocal-1.10. It's probably easiest to either adjust the makefile, make a symlink from aclocal-1.10 to aclocal-1.11, or if that doesn't work, compile and install aclocal-1.11.

I don't really want to permanently update this type of thing because I want to keep Racy compatibility. If I change to much it's harder to pass bug reports upstream.
emil

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
I don't really want to permanently update this type of thing because I want to keep Racy compatibility. If I change to much it's harder to pass bug reports upstream.

Ok for me Smile
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 11:48    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
magerlab wrote:

So at least clearlooks doesn't look like that on my system. Does it look like that in pfix=ram mode? I'm guessing something you did broke it? Please post the contents of your /root/.gtkrc-2.0.

Ok I see that clearlooks does that (for me) only when the window is out of focus. I haven't the foggiest idea why.
Volhout

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:10    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?

My vote:
Clean the desktop++ (no icons, user places the ones he needs)
Opera ++ (even an outdated Opera (also has mail) has more functionality than all the dillos' and midoris').

About themes: when I tested, it lookd as if some themes where identical. Maybe not the whole set was in the iso?
aarf

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:20    Post subject:  

Volhout wrote:

Opera ++ (even an outdated Opera (also has mail) has more functionality than all the dillos' and midoris').

i wasn't brave enough to say it. I do use midori to browse local files because it starts faster but most of my local files are now .mht and so non midori compatible.
Last edited by aarf on Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:26; edited 1 time in total
jemimah

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 12:22    Post subject:  

Midori is 4MB - Opera is 16MB. Anyway, it's still not up for vote. Smile

I will be trimming down the themes somewhat.
magerlab

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 13:13    Post subject:  

i have not done anything with gtkrc file:)

I noticed that only themes of xfce engine in early versions 006 and 007 were without red color. Also i tested some of pixmap themes : sturdust, phacile-blue, gentle-2.0 and polished blue. They look fine but workspaces switcher applet has red color anyway.
Red also appears in some window decorations.
I think gtk look is very important. Sorry if my posts look off topic.
As for the browser i vote for midori and a choice to add any big browser one like

Sage

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan 2012, 14:25    Post subject:  

Speaking as an ardent Opera user, I am extremely happy to see Midori adopted as the default. Any Puppy can be loaded with the latest Opera, even their alphas, by choosing Deb (other) - if I can do it all the other idiots like me can do it.

Still having a spot of trouble with some machines not executing poweroff from the menu.

XOrg resolution changer still not working from the initial loacalisation panel - needs CTRL-ALT- BKSPCE every time.

Otherwise, rather tasty. And Saluki is pretty good too....
Page 53 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: