Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#766 Post by Geoffrey »

xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.
Attachments
xnoise.jpg
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 849 times

emil

#767 Post by emil »

I can confirm problems with streaming radio

jemimah

#768 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.
I'll check it out.

jemimah

#769 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?

magerlab

#770 Post by magerlab »

I unchecked "show icons" in Desktop preferences and added apps I need to panel.
So it's not a problem anymore:).
everything works for me in 008 except sometimes flash is not recognised on some sites in midori and I can not save touchpad settings. Also the problem with RED color in gtk themes still remains. I'll post screenshot later.

Marv

Saluki desktop icons and thoughts

#771 Post by Marv »

Yep! Once I got used to an empty desktop (except a clock and possibly a battery App) back with boxpup, I haven't looked back. Between a panel of some flavor and the rightclick menu I can get at anything I need. The non-user users I've set pups up for use such a small subset of applications that the panel pretty much covers them and they adapt to it quickly. Wbar or Cairo for flash, but the xfce4 panel for completeness and ease of setup.

Opera does indeed play well with puppy. Flash on demand works well, site prefs can be set to mask as FF or exploder for particularly obstinate sites. Widgets work fine in xfce. I have installed and upgraded directly from the Opera site tar.gzs since 9.xx and it just works. I use the internal mail program to manage my IMAP mail account and like having the mail & browser integrated. I'm still using 11.52 and regard it as rock solid. 11.6x, almost. I've played a bit with midori and think it is an excellent choice for a bootstrap/firstuse browser. Kind of feels like opera-lite.

Programs on sfs.. Yes! I have hidden the adrive in 008 to circumvent the layering problem and I am immediately back to my basic Saluki. Load it and I get the apps on board. Maybe make loading it optional?
Fits well with the concept of a lean serviceable yet easly customized Pup.

Pretty much using Saluki as my daily drive now, when I remember to plug in the USB drive.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

alec78

Desktop Icons

#772 Post by alec78 »

Hi All

I use an 3G USB modem so I need to go to the menu for pupdial, and I've installed Terryphi's Opera sfs so again I go to the menu for that. I have used the console and home desktop icons but it would not be a big deal to again go to the menu for these, so a clear desktop would be O.K. with me.
BTW I think Mindori sucks, my vote is for Teryphi's Opera sfs.

Cheers

magerlab

#773 Post by magerlab »

here's red menu with nodoka theme
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(171.65 KiB) Downloaded 225 times

peebee

#774 Post by peebee »

Hi Jemimah

Just to let you know that I threw away my savefile and started again from fresh and my Frisbee problem has gone away - my apologies for reporting a non-problem...I'll let you know if it comes back.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jemimah

#775 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:here's red menu with nodoka theme
AFAIK Nodoka Rounded is supposed to have red menus.

jemimah

Re: Desktop Icons

#776 Post by jemimah »

alec78 wrote:Hi All

I use an 3G USB modem so I need to go to the menu for pupdial, and I've installed Terryphi's Opera sfs so again I go to the menu for that. I have used the console and home desktop icons but it would not be a big deal to again go to the menu for these, so a clear desktop would be O.K. with me.
BTW I think Mindori sucks, my vote is for Teryphi's Opera sfs.

Cheers
The browser is not up for vote.

If I included Opera for instance, it would get out of date soon. And you'd have no good way to update it except wait for a new release.

By including a the smallest functional browser I meet the needs of those who use Saluki as a live CD without making the distro almost instantly obsolete.

jim3630

#777 Post by jim3630 »

jemimah wrote:Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?
jemimah usually only have few on desktop anyway so ok with me.

yr1945

desktop icons

#778 Post by yr1945 »

my vote would be to remove the desktop icons... the only one i use is "connect"... and, i only use it once... then i delete it... thanks for asking...

sszindian

Desktop Icons

#779 Post by sszindian »

Yep... desktop icons can go!

Maybe you would like to take a peek at the 'Pop-Up' menu that is in Cloud Puppy??? One like that would serve most all users... Not There Until You Bump Bottom Of Screen With Mouse.'... just a thought?

Saluki-008 is looking nice!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Jasper

#780 Post by Jasper »

Hi jemimah et al,

On the one hand it seems to be a Puppy tradition to use a more or less standard set of desktop icons.

I'm currently using Slacko and whilst having the desktop icons didn't really bother me, I didn't really want them, but it seemed wrong to break with tradition so I put all the icons on the left hand side of my desktop into the program depicted below.

My regards
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
In my case, these icons are fixed pictures and cannot be changed via my Desktop Icon Switcher.
(117.44 KiB) Downloaded 494 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#781 Post by Lobster »

How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?
I prefer selecting programs from a wbar type interface. More access, to more programs with less clutter.
Is the non usage of woof2 far more of an issue? Perhaps . . .
Woof2 allows consistency and a common interface.

However . . .
Perhaps Puppy always includes revolution in its evolution.
I was going to warn about the problems associated with a very non standard Puppy (just in terms of support).
we can drag icons from the menu
Sounds good.
. . . the non-standard in Puppy comes as standard.
By being on a different track
Saluki is on the right track. Bravo. :D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Geoffrey

#782 Post by Geoffrey »

I'll support the No application launchers on the desktop vote.

Cairo Dock does it for me.

And jemimah I think your laptop tool deserves a icon that shows in cairo, instead of a ?

Code: Select all

<window title=\"Laptop Tool\" icon-name=\"netbook-pc\">

mavrothal

Desktop look

#783 Post by mavrothal »

I do not really know the real reason/logic behind the traditional puppy desktop look, but one value I see on it is to showcase what this "100MB" distro can do AOB!
Having said that, I find it cumbersome, specially for small screens, since any window will cover almost everything. I also do not like it aesthetically but this is a personal matter.
I usually setup XFCE in small screens with an auto-hide'able applications panel on the top. Instant access from anywhere at no extra resources.
Ideally, Saluki could show the traditional desktop on first boot and offer a setup option to shift to a more modern one i.e. no launchers but only the drivers, home and the trash on the desktop.
If not, go with the clean look. The abilities of puppy are mostly known by now :D
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

magerlab

#784 Post by magerlab »

here's another take with red gtk :D

clearlooks and zuki blues theme ( which I installed). Zuki blues is red but it does look blue in Lucid
Attachments
clearlooks.png
(166.35 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

emil

#785 Post by emil »

Think I report a compatibility issue. I was very surprised to find many old T2 packages from puppy 431 working. However when I tried to build the newest "sage" release I run into a problem. Usually sage have built more or less fine on most Puppy versions, however it seems it has become more demanding lately (maybe this is related that they try to fix some issues with the Apple OS).

The programm build fine in slacko. In Saluki the build failed with:

Code: Select all

make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src'
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/sh /mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing --run aclocal-1.11 -I m4
/mnt/sda3/COMPILE/sage-4.8/spkg/build/ecm-6.3.p3/src/missing: line 52: aclocal-1.11: command not found
I think aclocal is one of the tools that belong to the autoconf group. In saluki there is a slightly older version. Maybe it would be enough to install this autoconv version, but I don't have the time atm to investigate in detail. Would it breake something if the autoconf tools would be upgraded to the latest versions (maybe optional from Package manager)?