Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 22:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 52 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 01:38    Post_subject:
Sub_title: xnoise

xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.
xnoise.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   7.61 KB
 Viewed   822 Time(s)

xnoise.jpg

emil

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 02:18    Post_subject:  

I can confirm problems with streaming radio
jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:54    Post_subject:
Sub_title: xnoise

Geoffrey wrote:
xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.

I'll check it out.
jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:56    Post_subject:  

Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?
magerlab

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:26    Post_subject:  

I unchecked "show icons" in Desktop preferences and added apps I need to panel.
So it's not a problem anymore:).
everything works for me in 008 except sometimes flash is not recognised on some sites in midori and I can not save touchpad settings. Also the problem with RED color in gtk themes still remains. I'll post screenshot later.

Marv

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 12:03    Post_subject: Saluki desktop icons and thoughts  

Yep! Once I got used to an empty desktop (except a clock and possibly a battery App) back with boxpup, I haven't looked back. Between a panel of some flavor and the rightclick menu I can get at anything I need. The non-user users I've set pups up for use such a small subset of applications that the panel pretty much covers them and they adapt to it quickly. Wbar or Cairo for flash, but the xfce4 panel for completeness and ease of setup.

Opera does indeed play well with puppy. Flash on demand works well, site prefs can be set to mask as FF or exploder for particularly obstinate sites. Widgets work fine in xfce. I have installed and upgraded directly from the Opera site tar.gzs since 9.xx and it just works. I use the internal mail program to manage my IMAP mail account and like having the mail & browser integrated. I'm still using 11.52 and regard it as rock solid. 11.6x, almost. I've played a bit with midori and think it is an excellent choice for a bootstrap/firstuse browser. Kind of feels like opera-lite.

Programs on sfs.. Yes! I have hidden the adrive in 008 to circumvent the layering problem and I am immediately back to my basic Saluki. Load it and I get the apps on board. Maybe make loading it optional?
Fits well with the concept of a lean serviceable yet easly customized Pup.

Pretty much using Saluki as my daily drive now, when I remember to plug in the USB drive.

alec78

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 12:07    Post_subject: Desktop Icons  

Hi All

I use an 3G USB modem so I need to go to the menu for pupdial, and I've installed Terryphi's Opera sfs so again I go to the menu for that. I have used the console and home desktop icons but it would not be a big deal to again go to the menu for these, so a clear desktop would be O.K. with me.
BTW I think Mindori sucks, my vote is for Teryphi's Opera sfs.

Cheers
magerlab

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 14:57    Post_subject:  

here's red menu with nodoka theme
Screenshot.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Screenshot.png 
Filesize  171.65 KB 
Downloaded  138 Time(s) 

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 15:09    Post_subject:  

Hi Jemimah

Just to let you know that I threw away my savefile and started again from fresh and my Frisbee problem has gone away - my apologies for reporting a non-problem...I'll let you know if it comes back.

Cheers
peebee

jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 15:09    Post_subject:  

magerlab wrote:
here's red menu with nodoka theme

AFAIK Nodoka Rounded is supposed to have red menus.
jemimah

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 15:13    Post_subject: Re: Desktop Icons  

alec78 wrote:
Hi All

I use an 3G USB modem so I need to go to the menu for pupdial, and I've installed Terryphi's Opera sfs so again I go to the menu for that. I have used the console and home desktop icons but it would not be a big deal to again go to the menu for these, so a clear desktop would be O.K. with me.
BTW I think Mindori sucks, my vote is for Teryphi's Opera sfs.

Cheers

The browser is not up for vote.

If I included Opera for instance, it would get out of date soon. And you'd have no good way to update it except wait for a new release.

By including a the smallest functional browser I meet the needs of those who use Saluki as a live CD without making the distro almost instantly obsolete.
jim3630

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 15:46    Post_subject:  

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?

jemimah usually only have few on desktop anyway so ok with me.
yr1945

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 20:01    Post_subject: desktop icons  

my vote would be to remove the desktop icons... the only one i use is "connect"... and, i only use it once... then i delete it... thanks for asking...
sszindian

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:01    Post_subject: Desktop Icons  

Yep... desktop icons can go!

Maybe you would like to take a peek at the 'Pop-Up' menu that is in Cloud Puppy??? One like that would serve most all users... Not There Until You Bump Bottom Of Screen With Mouse.'... just a thought?

Saluki-008 is looking nice!

>>>---Indian------>

Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2012, 21:28    Post_subject:  

Hi jemimah et al,

On the one hand it seems to be a Puppy tradition to use a more or less standard set of desktop icons.

I'm currently using Slacko and whilst having the desktop icons didn't really bother me, I didn't really want them, but it seemed wrong to break with tradition so I put all the icons on the left hand side of my desktop into the program depicted below.

My regards
screenshot.jpg
 Description   In my case, these icons are fixed pictures and cannot be changed via my Desktop Icon Switcher.
 Filesize   117.44 KB
 Viewed   469 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 52 of 250 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum