Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Geoffrey

#751 Post by Geoffrey »

Here's a small list of things that may need attention.

Sleep button on desktop computer keyboard, if your cat walks across the keyboard and happens to press sleep, this puts the PC into a coma, I have tried everything to revive it, pressing the power button on the computer case give a false hope, keyboard flashes as well as the mouse, possible fix super glue the button. :wink:

Still have problems with themes Aurora and all of the TerraNova themes the right click menu in file manager won't stick, well sometimes it does.

If Cairo dock runs at startup and has a weather applet which runs before a network connection is established, it can't find a connection, even refreshing the applet has no effect and x needs restarting for it to work, one fix is to start Cairo dock manually, this maybe one of the reasons it has a menu entry.

fix for cairo-dock to give the network a head start.

/root/Startup, edit cairo-dock

Code: Select all

sleep 10 && exec cairo-dock
The keyboard suspend is the main problem.

Geoffrey

#752 Post by Geoffrey »

A clean look with Cairo Dock and Terryphi's latest Opera web browser and Opera clock widget.

what I've seen of it so far Opera runs extremely well, flash works smoothly, Opera comes as a SFS so it's a easy install.

Terryphi's Opera thread here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 488#500488

Sage

#753 Post by Sage »

Maybe we can persuade Terry to work his magic on EudoraOSE 1.0, too? Personally, I don't work with .sfs files. Does it create a lot of extra work to issue them as .pet s? Eudora .pet s are already available; which if any for Saluki?!

Midori in 008 is good. However, the 'wrong' FlashPlayer gets installed by default for running BBC iPlayer. In the UK this is a show stopper for folks like myself who don't possess the skills to install (or even recognise!) the correct version from Adobe.
All this may well the fault of Adobe's antics, but it doesn't help.
i.e Help, please!

Confirm poweroff not working.

smokey01

#754 Post by smokey01 »

Sage download this file:
http://eudora.com/download/eudora/1.0/E ... 86.tar.bz2
Extract it to /root
Then click on the Eudora script and it should work.
It places all files in /root/eudora
Drag the script to the desktop for ease.
I have tried it in Micko's new Slacko, works fine.

Good luck.
Attachments
eudora.jpg
(49.48 KiB) Downloaded 913 times

aarf

#755 Post by aarf »

Sage i would tell you about flashplayer but i dont approve of puppians watching that colonialist propaganda channel however the things you ask are covered dozens of times on the forum.
May i refer you instead to CCTV4, who knows you might even get lucky and see live coverage of tibetian monks self immolating. Whatever next lobsters au flambe? Which brings of to the crux of the matter, the new webcam app is good maybe i can now use it to do timelapse surveileance of my computer connection wires in my absence. Only thing is i think my EeePc will disappear if i leave it on duty. No great loss as replacement is well overdue.
Last edited by aarf on Thu 26 Jan 2012, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Frisbee problem

#756 Post by peebee »

I have just changed my wifi router/modem in preparation for future receiving ADSL2+ service from my ISP.

I have changed the 10 hex digit key supplied with the new router to a 10 hex digit key of my choosing.

I have successfully entered this key into Frisbee on slacko, lupu, exprimo and wary and established a WPA protected connection.

When I enter the same key into Frisbee on saluki it gives an "Invalid Key" message but doesn't say why the key is invalid.

Why is Frisbee on luki behaving differently to all other versions?

How do I find out what luki / frisbee thinks is wrong with the key??

The key has lower case alpha characters in it - would this be a problem?

Thanks for help
Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#757 Post by Sage »

Gee, t'anks, lads! Everyone needs friends like smokey & aarf - one to offer such rapid, solid help, the other for a good laugh. Both therapeutic in their own way.
Just off out to fix a friend's lighting system - try it all later.

ICPUG

Re: touchpad

#758 Post by ICPUG »

yordanj94 wrote:Hi.
How can i enable tapping on my touchpad ?
I can only move my cursor,but not to tape.
Laptop Dell latitude C610.
With LUPQ-511 and Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 i can do that with from the very beginning,but here iF i try to calibrate it it crashes and restarts X.
Thanks in advance.
Have a look at this:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 267#578267

worked for me on 007.

What defines the default settings in flsynclient? Is it woof? Both Slacko and Saluki need more non-obvious twiddling than Lucid to get touchpad tapping to work.

yordanj94

Touchpad

#759 Post by yordanj94 »

Hi.
Thank's a lot!
This works too.
What i did was to edit in "root/flSynclient":

TapButton1 =1
TapButton2 =2
TapButton3 =3

After that i was able to tape.
Thanks again !

jemimah

#760 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:Here's a small list of things that may need attention.

Sleep button on desktop computer keyboard, if your cat walks across the keyboard and happens to press sleep, this puts the PC into a coma, I have tried everything to revive it, pressing the power button on the computer case give a false hope, keyboard flashes as well as the mouse, possible fix super glue the button. :wink:

Still have problems with themes Aurora and all of the TerraNova themes the right click menu in file manager won't stick, well sometimes it does.

If Cairo dock runs at startup and has a weather applet which runs before a network connection is established, it can't find a connection, even refreshing the applet has no effect and x needs restarting for it to work, one fix is to start Cairo dock manually, this maybe one of the reasons it has a menu entry.

fix for cairo-dock to give the network a head start.

/root/Startup, edit cairo-dock

sleep 10 && exec cairo-dock
The keyboard suspend is the main problem.
You can turn of the suspend feature by going into Laptop Tools and unchecking Enable Acpid.

jemimah

Re: Frisbee problem

#761 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:I have just changed my wifi router/modem in preparation for future receiving ADSL2+ service from my ISP.

I have changed the 10 hex digit key supplied with the new router to a 10 hex digit key of my choosing.

I have successfully entered this key into Frisbee on slacko, lupu, exprimo and wary and established a WPA protected connection.

When I enter the same key into Frisbee on saluki it gives an "Invalid Key" message but doesn't say why the key is invalid.

Why is Frisbee on luki behaving differently to all other versions?

How do I find out what luki / frisbee thinks is wrong with the key??

The key has lower case alpha characters in it - would this be a problem?

Thanks for help
Cheers
Peter
This can happen when you have a bad theme or when something is wrong with the system that causes Xdialog to generate error messages on the command line.

Run Xdialog from the terminal to see what the problem might be.

Xdialog --msgbox "foo" 0 0 

peebee

Re: Frisbee problem

#762 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:Run Xdialog from the terminal to see what the problem might be.

Xdialog --msgbox "foo" 0 0 
Hi Jemimah

no errors from Xdialog - just a small window saying foo with an OK button.

Wasn't sure which themes you meant but have tried quite a few windows and xfce themes and they all do the same - I type in the key and a window pops up saying "Invalid Key"

Is there somewhere I can enter the key without using the Frisbee gui??

[edit]got a temporary fix by copying the wpa_supplicant.conf file from a puppy with a working frisbee gui to saluki - now online at least...[/edit]

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Geoffrey

#763 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:You can turn of the suspend feature by going into Laptop Tools and unchecking Enable Acpid.
I've tried that, it doesn't appear to fix the problem, I checked that its disabled, saved setting, rebooted, tried it twice to be sure, still the sleep button is operable.

I ran acpid -d -l

acpid -d -l
acpid: starting up
acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/ac
acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/hotkey
acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/lid
acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/power
acpid: can't parse /etc/acpi/events/power at line 2
acpid: parsing conf file /etc/acpi/events/sleep
acpid: 5 rules loaded
acpid: waiting for events: event logging is on

jemimah

#764 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:You can turn of the suspend feature by going into Laptop Tools and unchecking Enable Acpid.
I've tried that, it doesn't appear to fix the problem, I checked that its disabled, saved setting, rebooted, tried it twice to be sure, still the sleep button is operable.

I ran acpid -d -l

acpid -d -l

Ah yes, you have to check sven as well and delete the sleep key.

Geoffrey

#765 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

I ran acpid -d -l

acpid -d -l

Ah yes, you have to check sven as well and delete the sleep key.
got it thanks :wink:

Geoffrey

#766 Post by Geoffrey »

xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.
Attachments
xnoise.jpg
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 849 times

emil

#767 Post by emil »

I can confirm problems with streaming radio

jemimah

#768 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:xnoise fails to show the icons for repeat all, random play, no repeat and repeat single, they are located in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status

Unable to get Streamtuner radio to play using xnoise, but it will download the files ok to a save directory, can anyone confirm this.
I'll check it out.

jemimah

#769 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey points out to me that since we can drag icons from the menu and control panel to the desktop, there's really no need for icons on the desktop. How do you guys feel about removing the desktop icons?

magerlab

#770 Post by magerlab »

I unchecked "show icons" in Desktop preferences and added apps I need to panel.
So it's not a problem anymore:).
everything works for me in 008 except sometimes flash is not recognised on some sites in midori and I can not save touchpad settings. Also the problem with RED color in gtk themes still remains. I'll post screenshot later.