Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 03:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 47 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
heywoodj

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 09:47    Post subject: Re: Frisbee & FlSynclient  

Sorry,duplicate post Embarassed .
einar

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 10:41    Post subject: first saluki tryout  

Hi Devs and others Smile

its my first try on saluki and it feels realy polished. As a ultra linux noob i find it easy to get it do do what i want. i realy like the control panel and the not so clutterd start menu with "run program, find and control panel" it looks clean and well made.

The only think is that it does not feel as snappy as other puppys. aka slacko and lucid . I Guess this is because of the XFCE. and dont missunderstand me, it is fast but not instant like the others. But then again i have only tested it on my acer aspire one. It is a Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with 1 GB memory. is it to slow for Saluki ?

I have also not tested any apps. I know the devs have not made any yet. but what is Saluki compatible with ? I see the wary5,quirky and common in puppy package manager. can i use one of those ? or all ?

Hope my questions are not to stupid. and that you can forgive my bad english.

Best regards
Einar
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:18    Post subject:  

Jemimah wrote:
I have been working hard and I'm happy to announce that Saluki-008 will have applications! Looks like the ISO size will be in the neighborhood of 120MB.

Any possibility you could look at using/incorporating zero install?

http://0install.net/install-linux.html

also see pandora apps

http://apps.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Applications

binscan looks interesting, too

http://binscan.sourceforge.net/

thanks

Aitch Smile
aarf

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:26    Post subject: Re: first saluki tryout  

einar wrote:
Hi Devs and others Smile

its my first try on saluki and it feels realy polished. As a ultra linux noob i find it easy to get it do do what i want. i realy like the control panel and the not so clutterd start menu with "run program, find and control panel" it looks clean and well made.

The only think is that it does not feel as snappy as other puppys. aka slacko and lucid . I Guess this is because of the XFCE. and dont missunderstand me, it is fast but not instant like the others. But then again i have only tested it on my acer aspire one. It is a Intel Atom 1.6Ghz with 1 GB memory. is it to slow for Saluki ?

I have also not tested any apps. I know the devs have not made any yet. but what is Saluki compatible with ? I see the wary5,quirky and common in puppy package manager. can i use one of those ? or all ?

Best regards
Einar
i also noticed saluki to be slow. Then after i made a pupsave it didnt seem slow any more. My ram 512Mb no swap.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:37    Post subject:  

I've got cairo dock working, I downloaded the debs that puppyluvr has but needed more so I download until it ran, seem to work ok, I tried making a sfs but it didn't seem to work but works if I install them with petget
maybe someone would like to check it out and make a sfs that works, download the debs here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26024684/linux/puppy_linux_files/Cairo-dock-2.3.0.tar.gz
Edit I'll leave this download here for the time being, download jemimah's cairo-dock-2.4.0.pet at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 27 Jan 2012, 05:38; edited 2 times in total
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:43    Post subject:  

Well that's cool! It didn't occur to me that it would work without compiz. I will compile it from source when I get done with my current todo list.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 11:56    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
Jemimah wrote:
I have been working hard and I'm happy to announce that Saluki-008 will have applications! Looks like the ISO size will be in the neighborhood of 120MB.

Any possibility you could look at using/incorporating zero install?

http://0install.net/install-linux.html

also see pandora apps

http://apps.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/viewarea.pl?Applications

binscan looks interesting, too

http://binscan.sourceforge.net/

thanks

Aitch Smile

I think zero install would probably either break system libs, be generally incompatible with puppy, or download a large amount of redundant libs. It really is best to compile from source. Installing bins from other sources is always going to cause trouble or be really large.

I think the pandora apps are compiled for the openpandora. If they work on puppy, it would just be luck, but I'm pretty sure it's an ARM platform.

Binscan looks cool, but there's no actual download.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:05    Post subject: Re: first saluki tryout  

einar wrote:
Hi Devs and others Smile

Best regards
Einar

It does take somewhat longer to boot on slowish machines, but once it's booted, it ought to be fairly snappy. It runs fast on my eee with the same specs as your aao. I'm not sure where you are experiencing slowness.

Saluki is compatible with wary/racy packages. Stuff in the repos should work.
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:13    Post subject:  

At last time to test saluki-007. Looks, feels and smells good.
I have attached the xorg.log. Remove the phony .gz

I tested the gtk theme Raptor...or better modification of it by:
http://ardenarboriger.deviantart.com/art/Raptor-107967299

Not bad, if you want black and white cool appearance with some shining.

The problem: It needs spesific userChrome.css file for Seamonkey, Firefox and Thunderbird. The one I use now for Seamonkey has been attached. Again remove the phony .gz. Place that file to the /root/.mozilla/seamonkey or firefox/afkjdlfj.default/chrome folder replacing the previous one.

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit still has Barry`s added Pwireless2 choices instead of Frisbee. Not a big deal but I thought to remind of it.

Change the gtk theme with control panel > appearance.
Xorg.0.log.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  Xorg.0.log.gz 
Filesize  20.92 KB 
Downloaded  94 Time(s) 
userChrome.css.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  userChrome.css.gz 
Filesize  1.3 KB 
Downloaded  96 Time(s) 
raptor-0.0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  raptor-0.0.1.pet 
Filesize  208.05 KB 
Downloaded  104 Time(s) 
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 12:52    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit still has Barry`s added Pwireless2 choices instead of Frisbee. Not a big deal but I thought to remind of it.

I know about it. But I need Frisbee to work in any puplet so unless Barry changes it, I leave this alone. The code should work anyway because it treats unknown network managers the same as Pwireless2.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 17:28    Post subject:  

Saluki-008 has been released.

New in 008:

I've replaced retrovol with the xfce mixer. To get it to work you need to right click and open the Properties then left click and set your controls.

Various refinements and bugfixes

The following apps have been added:
    abiword
    aiksaurus
    asunder
    claws-mail
    dia
    evince
    fbreader
    gadmin-sshd
    galculator
    gcolor2
    gftp
    gnac
    gnumeric
    gstpw
    gtktetris
    gweled
    gworldclock
    mhwaveedit
    midori
    mtpaint
    ogle
    osmo
    pcd
    pidgin
    pupcamera
    putty
    remmina
    ristretto
    streamtuner
    thoggen
    transmission
    ucview
    xdelta
    xmenumaker - Thanks Geoffrey!
    xnoise
Billtoo

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 18:58    Post subject: Saluki
Subject description: 008

I'm running the live dvd with a save file.
It's working well, no problems so far.
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   126.44 KB
 Viewed   624 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

einar

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 19:59    Post subject: Re: first saluki tryout  

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote:
Hi Devs and others Smile

Best regards
Einar

It does take somewhat longer to boot on slowish machines, but once it's booted, it ought to be fairly snappy. It runs fast on my eee with the same specs as your aao. I'm not sure where you are experiencing slowness.

Saluki is compatible with wary/racy packages. Stuff in the repos should work.

its not the boot but lauching a program takes some milli secounds but with JWM it happens before i press the icon Wink you see ? Smile hehe anyways i have tried the 08 on the HP Dragon its a dual core 2ghz lap and its running like a charm. and yes it is snappy Smile Worked fine until i choose to make a save file. Stuck at "probing devices. wait a moment" I had 1 disk mounted when i started the save file tool.

other than that is it possible to get .pets for the big must have programs like wine, vlc, clementine, umplayer. xbmc, samba with a quick share a folder program, a quicker image viewer. and drivers for nvidia and amd ( ati ) ?

am i asking to much ? yes probably Wink

I feel that luki will be one of the great ones Smile
Keep up the good work
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 20:03    Post subject:  

Here is cairo-dock. You need to install gtkglext first and turn on compositing in xfwm tweaks.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets/gtkglext-1.2.0-i486.pet
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/pets/cairo-dock-2.4.0.pet

Size is 4.2MB.

The workspace switcher applet caused the dock to crash so I deleted it. I may see if I can fix it later.

So far I am super impressed with how well this just integrates with xfce.
jemimah

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 20:11    Post subject: Re: first saluki tryout  

einar wrote:

other than that is it possible to get .pets for the big must have programs like wine, vlc, clementine, umplayer. xbmc, samba with a quick share a folder program, a quicker image viewer. and drivers for nvidia and amd ( ati ) ?

Saluki is wary/racy compatible, except for drivers. I think someone posted the nvidia drivers a while back, but I forgot to save the link.
Page 47 of 250 [3742 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: