Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pete22

I'm not entirely sure which message this is.

#631 Post by Pete22 »

:oops:

It's the readme message listed in the iso in version 7. It was called something else in version 6.

Hope that helps.

Pete.

jemimah

#632 Post by jemimah »

Ah, ok thanks. I'd never even seen that.

Pete22

Mounting drives

#633 Post by Pete22 »

Automounting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know this. I am so glad that my friends here at Puppy taught me well to mount and unmount. That is why I was missing the drives showing on desktop so I could see if they were mounted or not.

I started working on 7 and noticed those messages about what drives were available. At first I thought that it meant that they were mounted. But I see that it does not.

I look forward to seeing how this issue is handled in version 8.

Pete

Pete22

Re: Luki 6

#634 Post by Pete22 »

Yeah the big white cursor is the best for visibility. Maybe I'll have it the default.
Yes, especially since the backgrounds are so beautiful. :!: :!:

The premium cursor is supposed to be animated, but it is kind of annoying.
Animated is fine if it would get bigger and smaller. Fading in and out defeats its function.

Pete22 wrote: No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.
You can add that in the panel preferences if you want. I'll replace the workspace switcher with the desktop shower for 008.

Wow Thanks
Pete22 wrote: I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.
I'm not sure what the cause of this is.

My guess then it was user error.

Pete

Pete22

Firewall

#635 Post by Pete22 »

Pete22 wrote: did this puppy automatically set up a firewall or not? I found a place and set one up, but I still don’t see a place where I can tell if it is on.
It does not set one up automatically. In my opinion the firewall is not usually necessary and requires a fairly high level of expertise to configure and monitor correctly. I'll think about an applet but I think it just adds unneeded junk to the tray.

I wondered about this just paranoia from using windoze. Users, however, might be more comfortable if they knew it was on. If they saw it come on and then disappear that should be fine. Or perhaps a good explanation as to why it s not needed because Puppy is so Wonderful. :D

Pete

mavrothal

#636 Post by mavrothal »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:

Code: Select all

Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
from xorg.conf.

Mavrothol can you see if that is in your xorg.conf?
Yes. is there. I'll check latter if this is the issue.
Commented out the suspicious line to no effect.
The working driver had no issue with this change.
The faulty driver showed the same errors as before including the inability to detect the protocol.
Would you mind posting your compile configure parameters?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

dawg

Re: Saluki

#637 Post by dawg »

jemimah wrote:The focus will be user friendliness, innovation, improved look and feel, and solid, functional applications. We attempt to address the most common complaints of new Puppy users and raise the bar for Puppy usability, customizability, and stylishness.
YES!
A contemporarily-presentable Puppy, at last!

Finally someone who gets it, and sure enough - it's a woman! :D

I've tried 007, and it's totally going in the right direction! Loving it already!
I suggest avoiding the pinkness & feminine font as default, though, as it comes across as "girly" and might shy away a few "machos".
And I'm hoping the disk-(nearly)-full blinkining can be turned off if so desired (haven't tested it, but I'm assuming it's still blinking). :)

Anyhow, this dawg is pleased. 8)
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

Jim1911

#638 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi jemimah,

Thanks for this distribution.

Manual frugal installation of 007 on an ext4 partition. Booted up to the desktop was flawless. shinobar's pupsaveconfig works great, much faster and more user friendly now and it's great that it defaults to 4fs save file. Great that there are minimum applications, however, I do miss Bootmanager coming up after creating a save file so that the usual sfs files may be selected for next boot.

Only problem that I've noted is that pmount is extremely slow, taking almost 40 seconds to mount or unmount a drive. Other distributions take less than 3 seconds.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

Pete22

Flash

#639 Post by Pete22 »

Pete22 wrote: xfce Panel Preferences - When I started I had no idea what a panel was.
I guess you'd call it a taskbar?

Yes.
This brings me to 2 points.

1-In relation to the Bill Gates and law stuff. We need a cheat sheet of terms for ex windoze users. or better yet I suggest instead of using the windows terms, use the linux terms but with a twist. Windows terms could also be added by default as [I'm sorry I don't know the right words for some things] little bubbles that pop up as you mouse over something. When a user got comfortable with the linux terms, these mouse over windoze bubbles could be then be turned off.

2-A panel is a taskbar. Yes, It's so simple, and yet a panel can do so much more than a taskbar can do in windoze. I think comparing it to a taskbar gets them in the right ballpark. But to really configure what they want their panels to do they need to see some in action; so they can understand what is possible.

This is why I think an interactive set up tool for all the features would be great. It could show what something was, explain new terms, and then show several ways of how it is used. With this knowledge the user then set their preferences for an item. Of course there would be a bypass for the geeks to tweak to their delight.

Flash: You don't really have to update it unless your favorite websites tell you that your flash is too old. I think about an updater though.

I understand about the software now. I think an updater would be good, because adobe is always trying to get you to download some other software at their site when it updates through its website. .

I think that the storage flash is talking about is some sort of cookie but not the same kind of cookie that websites usually use. I could be wrong about what they are because I have never seen Windoze ask me how I want to handle this type of storage. So I think an explanation to newbies about what these are and how they might want to handle it would be helpful some where.

Pete

jemimah

#640 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:

Code: Select all

Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
from xorg.conf.

Mavrothol can you see if that is in your xorg.conf?
Yes. is there. I'll check latter if this is the issue.
Commented out the suspicious line to no effect.
The working driver had no issue with this change.
The faulty driver showed the same errors as before including the inability to detect the protocol.
Would you mind posting your compile configure parameters?
Here it is. I didn't do anything special with it.
Attachments
config.log.gz
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

jemimah

#641 Post by jemimah »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi jemimah,

Thanks for this distribution.

Manual frugal installation of 007 on an ext4 partition. Booted up to the desktop was flawless. shinobar's pupsaveconfig works great, much faster and more user friendly now and it's great that it defaults to 4fs save file. Great that there are minimum applications, however, I do miss Bootmanager coming up after creating a save file so that the usual sfs files may be selected for next boot.

Only problem that I've noted is that pmount is extremely slow, taking almost 40 seconds to mount or unmount a drive. Other distributions take less than 3 seconds.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
Is the drive mounter in the tray working at a reasonable speed?

There's really no reason to reboot to load sfses. Since you can load them on the fly, you might as well load them on the first boot. I could bring up sfs loader then, but you're already spammed with so much info on the first boot I'd rather not add more chaos.

jemimah

Re: Flash

#642 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:
Pete22 wrote: xfce Panel Preferences - When I started I had no idea what a panel was.
I guess you'd call it a taskbar?

Yes.
This brings me to 2 points.

1-In relation to the Bill Gates and law stuff. We need a cheat sheet of terms for ex windoze users. or better yet I suggest instead of using the windows terms, use the linux terms but with a twist. Windows terms could also be added by default as [I'm sorry I don't know the right words for some things] little bubbles that pop up as you mouse over something. When a user got comfortable with the linux terms, these mouse over windoze bubbles could be then be turned off.

2-A panel is a taskbar. Yes, It's so simple, and yet a panel can do so much more than a taskbar can do in windoze. I think comparing it to a taskbar gets them in the right ballpark. But to really configure what they want their panels to do they need to see some in action; so they can understand what is possible.

This is why I think an interactive set up tool for all the features would be great. It could show what something was, explain new terms, and then show several ways of how it is used. With this knowledge the user then set their preferences for an item. Of course there would be a bypass for the geeks to tweak to their delight.

Flash: You don't really have to update it unless your favorite websites tell you that your flash is too old. I think about an updater though.

I understand about the software now. I think an updater would be good, because adobe is always trying to get you to download some other software at their site when it updates through its website. .

I think that the storage flash is talking about is some sort of cookie but not the same kind of cookie that websites usually use. I could be wrong about what they are because I have never seen Windoze ask me how I want to handle this type of storage. So I think an explanation to newbies about what these are and how they might want to handle it would be helpful some where.

Pete
Well there is a Tips and Tricks application. I can add it to the menu for 008.

As for updating - I always thought the update nags were one of the most irritating thing about windows. The Puppy motto is more along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Once the repo is working, you should be able to check for updates there.

Jim1911

#643 Post by Jim1911 »

jemimah wrote:
Is the drive mounter in the tray working at a reasonable speed?

There's really no reason to reboot to load sfses. Since you can load them on the fly, you might as well load them on the first boot. I could bring up sfs loader then, but you're already spammed with so much info on the first boot I'd rather not add more chaos.
The drive manager in the tray works fine, thanks, I had not discovered it. Hope that the speed problem with pmount can be corrected otherwise it should be replaced by the drive manager in the tray with an updated icon. There is one problem though, /mnt/home/ partition does not show up, in my case sdb2 is missing but it should be shown as mounted. That eliminates a simple way to look at the partition.

As for bootmanager configuration, it's convenient to use it to set up sfs files that you want to use all the time ie: libreoffice, java, etc. Maybe I should explore the capabilities of loading them on the fly, maybe that would do what I want. However, why has the bootmanager configuration changed so that it is not possible to use it to set up sfs files to load upon boot. It really doesn't need to be loaded upon first reboot, but does need to be accessible.

Thanks, Saluki is developing into an awesome distribution. I'm looking forward to trying it on other hardware.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Other distributions
(59.54 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
image-6.jpg
Saluki
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 578 times

jemimah

#644 Post by jemimah »

/mnt/home does show up in the side panel in thunar, but it does not show up in the mounter because it is not possible to unmount it. I may be able to make it so it shows up but is greyed out.

The old bootmanager sfs loader is gone because it's been replaced with sfs-load. Having both is confusing. You can just click on any sfs file to load it immediately.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(18.9 KiB) Downloaded 508 times

Jim1911

#645 Post by Jim1911 »

jemimah wrote:/mnt/home does show up in the side panel in thunar, but it does not show up in the mounter because it is not possible to unmount it. I may be able to make it so it shows up but is greyed out.

The old bootmanager sfs loader is gone because it's been replaced with sfs-load. Having both is confusing. You can just click on any sfs file to load it immediately.
Thanks, I didn't realize that "sfs load on-the-fly" was so simple to use and I was under the false impression that when a sfs loaded with "sfs load on-the-fly" , upon reboot that it unloaded. :oops: Next question. How do you unload a sfs file that you no longer want loaded? You keep teaching an old dog new tricks. :)

It would be helpful for /mnt/home to show up in the mounter if it can be used to open the file manager to show the partition as it does when a partition is mounted. Also, is it possible to show the same information about the partitions that are unmounted as is shown for a mounted partition?

Thanks,
Jim

jemimah

#646 Post by jemimah »

To unload, run sfs-load, select an sfs and click Unload as shown in the screenshot above.

It's not possible to show the free space for unmounted drives - you have to mount them to find out that information. You can however, easily run partview by right-clicking the freespace applet.

All mounted drives are easily available in Thunar as shown below.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(18.21 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

aarf

Re: Delta File

#647 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:
more online tools coming soon.> > custom create your required saluki deltas., online md5sums at selected puppy sites..
you've all collectively been deemed too naughty for your own good so what was once soon has become 'not at present'. As you were. Boredom has arrived. Other avenues are calling.

Geoffrey

#648 Post by Geoffrey »

Hi jemimah,
It's looking good, not to many dramas so far, I got the same message as Lobster setting up on first boot, had no trouble with the res,
but xorgwizard needs to be run before using Grandr res changer else it makes a mess of the screen, it did so in my case,

If you rightclick the desktop and go to Applications, System, it appears woofy needs a smaller bone.

I've had no problem with pmount, I actually prefer the boot drive not showing, it's obvious that it's mounted and to access it one only needs to select Home in Thunar.

I don't know what the concern is with windows terminology
minesadorada wrote:One issue: by using familiar Windows terms such as 'Control Panel', 'My Documents' etc, do you think there could be any potential copyright issues with MS should they choose to care? In these SOPA days you never know...
These are generic terms, there is no "My Documents" it's "my-documents", it's like the word wheelbarrow, it's public domain, nobody can lay claim to it.

I've been running Firefox 9.0.1 with no ill effects, flash works ok with it too.

The mounter icon, yes it's small and grey and hard to see on a grey panel, but I can live with that some can't, I did try changing it but every icon remains at that size, I think that's the way it is, maybe a different color would help

Edit: I see that the usb petget problem seems to be solved, I didn't have to install the patched one.
Attachments
woofy.jpg
(31.99 KiB) Downloaded 807 times

aarf

#649 Post by aarf »

power cable plugged in, continual notifications about power occur until acpid is not enabled in laptoptool. same as in previous salukis.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
(106.76 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Screenshot.png
(190.53 KiB) Downloaded 250 times

peebee

Re: Right click behaviour

#650 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:If anyone knows of an icon that looks distinctively like a hard drive, even at a small size on a grey panel - please send it my way.
Hi jemimah

What size image is required?

The 48x48 drive icon from Smooth-Color set seems to reduce to 24x24 reasonably...

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
drive24.png
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
drive48.png
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64