Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
aarf

#616 Post by aarf »

Delta for 006 to 007 is size 11 M
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta (*®* verified and certified to produce the real deal)
and
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .iso.delta ( 14M )
also
http://smokey01.com/aarf/xdelta/saluki/ ... .sfs.delta size 2.4 M but see notes about dexv on the front page of this thread
Last edited by aarf on Wed 18 Jan 2012, 08:22, edited 7 times in total.

jemimah

Re: Luki 6

#617 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:I really lijke this puppy. I have not worked on a alpha puppy before so please bare with me if I did this wrong.
Yep this is pretty much how it's done.
Pete22 wrote: Message to windows users tells them all a lot of geeky stuff that most of them don't need to know. Have the message welcome everyone to Puppy Linux and several other niceties. Then explain the best way to get puppy on their computer. Then tell them if they are willing to do it that way, they are free to do it now. Then to the others who want to install it in others ways, them give this message about these concerns.
I'm not entirely sure which message this is. The one that says "Welcome, woof, woof?" at the top?
Pete22 wrote: Needs auto-mount by default. The mount program in use is not friendly. Preferences does not let me choose to see all devises on one pages. Most of the other preferences are too geeky for me to understand. I could not tell if it did anything or not. I did not notice the little icon in the task bar that shows each of the devises until much later. I do not know if it is part of the same program or not. We have much friendlier mount programs that show us exactly what’s happening.
I agree, Pmount sucks. I'll probably replace it in 008.

Automouting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.
Pete22 wrote: I kept loosing site of my mouse cursor. I guess because it is small and black on blue. Sorry I have old eyes. I changed it to the blue premium because it was the biggest. Now its blue on blue. So changed picture. Psychedelic Orange is beautiful but hard on old eyes. I like the one with purple, orange and blue, the orange as an accent is very nice. Unfortunately, the blue premium cursor seems to fade in and out. Is it supposed to do that? I changed to the white one on this screen, its great. So is the Blue crystal cursor.
Yeah the big white one is the best for visibility. Maybe I'll have it the default. The premium cursor is supposed to be animated, but it is kind of annoying.
Pete22 wrote: No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.
You can add that in the panel preferences if you want. I'll replace the workspace switcher with the desktop shower for 008.
Pete22 wrote: I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.
I'm not sure what the cause of this is.

Pete22 wrote: I had a problem with the puppy package manager. I had worked with it for about an hour before I realized on the far right was a discription of each package. It appears that the collums cannot be adjusted and mine did no allow the discriptions to start until 10 inches from the left. That means that I would never have seen the [package discriptions if I had not maximized the whole page. Also some of the discriptions include “geekspeek

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#618 Post by Lobster »

Automouting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.

First time I have heard an explanation of WHY we mount and unmount
That makes sense. Many thanks
Wiki updated . . . but will need more editing if anyone has the time?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

Are Sneaky or Icyos about and able to do a video on this (or is it too early)?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Marv

sucessfull 006 to 007 update

#619 Post by Marv »

Updated my much modified 006 save file with the 007 iso files (frugal install to a CF card). Theme and Dropline Neu-blue icons all ok. Panel contents and settings intact. Dealt gracefully with Pfind and xarchiver I had installed from pets and kind of deliberately didn't strip out first. Wireless intact. Overwrote one background I had in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory and I had to reenter one line in the .xinitrc file. I pass the parameter vblank_mode=0 to xfwm4 there. Setting that environmental parameter makes the i915 driver play much better with glxgears. Haven't tried googleearth yet to see how the acceleration really is.

Somewhere along the line, installed galculator and stripped out what was left of Xcalc. Small and works well.

Pretty much resolved my fonts issue in Opera using solely Deja vu Sans for the font, turning on antialiasing and using RGB order but using no hinting. I use Deja vu Sans bold for the system font.

The more I use Saluki, the better I like it. Thunar has a couple of quirks but now has accepted the Neu-blue icon-theme throughout and the custom actions are well worth the admission. I symlinked inode-directory.png in /usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/48x48/mimetypes to the folder.png in the /usr/share/icons/Neu-blue/places. Either that survived the update or if you installed Neu-blue it is now correct in there. Anyway, it works. Thunar seems to be a bit clumsy about falling back if it doesn't find exactly what it wants in mimetypes.

I really think the drive management on the panel is adequate, especially since any mounted drives show up in the side panel in Thunar.

Thanks again for the splendid dog!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

James C

#620 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 007 on my main Linux box.Sound and internet connection working on initial boot.... needed to use xorgwizard to get desired 1440x900 resolution.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 007

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
nouveau

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (164MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed 18 Jan 2012 12:14:23 AM CST
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235
Ethernet controller Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
Multimedia audio controller VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller
VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x]

Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.0
Monitors
Monitor 0 1440x900 pixels

OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
Direct Rendering Yes

Looking good.. :)
No to automounting drives too.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#621 Post by Lobster »

Got enclosed error message just before xstart (I had clicked the option to run the extra video drivers)
After error message it went into xorgwizard

I tried using Lucid Chromium 15
and Slacko Chromium 18 pets to run a browser but without success.
. . . however flash was installed during the Saluki setup procedure.

Early days. Very different to either Lucid. Slacko or Racy. :)
Attachments
Screenshot2.png
(128.13 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

mavrothal

#622 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:

Code: Select all

Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
from xorg.conf.

Mavrothol can you see if that is in your xorg.conf?
Yes. is there. I'll check latter if this is the issue.
Though this configuration works with mainstream Fedora and Ubuntu (since 2010) and debian/ubuntu puppy-derivatives.
Even if I inactivated synaptics in the kernel (# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS is not set), does not fall-back with the racy/saluki synaptics driver as it does with the working synaptics drivers. :?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#623 Post by Sage »

Few problems: eye-watering default res., wouldn't change using the panel, had to CTRL_ALT_BKSPCE. Difficulties getting sda2 mounted, then it failed to unmount. More problems than previously getting stuff installed either from .sfs or repos. Long detentes in several actions. I know, I know about PPM not being ready, but this makes a default browser even more vital, whatever it is - even Dillo! FF is the only one to load properly with correct Flash at present and FF is riddled with issues.
Otherwise, very nice.

nooby

#624 Post by nooby »

Sage wrote:FF is riddled with issues.
Is FF in general riddled regardless of which OS it is on
or is the FF.pet or FF.sfs version for Saluki different from
say a FF for Lupu or Slacko?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

minesadorada

MS Windows terms in Saluki

#625 Post by minesadorada »

I cut a CD of V.006 to run in live mode.

No driver or internet access problems on boot-up. :) However, none of the desktop items worked, and it refused to shut down, but I assume these are alpha issues.

An interesting project, clearly designed for Windows refugees. Well done so far!

One issue: by using familiar Windows terms such as 'Control Panel', 'My Documents' etc, do you think there could be any potential copyright issues with MS should they choose to care? In these SOPA days you never know...

nooby

#626 Post by nooby »

minesadorada I think you are on the right track but it is
even worse. To even use a Windows Manager or others such
Graphic User Interfaces (GUI) can be patented.

But usually such only get into legal issues if they feel a competition is strong enough Watch the Patent Wars
among the three big? Apple against Samsung and Microsoft against all others? They would only care if Saluki was on that level?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ray MK

#627 Post by Ray MK »

Hi Jemimah

really looks and feels good - and still very snappy on my 10yr old laptop.

Loaded Gatotray2.0.pet - for CPU temp and activity display in panel - works nice.

Loaded dillo, opera and SoftMaker Office SFS’s - on thr fly using sfs loader - very nice.

Loaded Viewnor.pet and so far all seems to be working very well.

Superb presentation - nicely polished - very impressed and much appreciated.

Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

peebee

Right click behaviour

#628 Post by peebee »

Hi jemimah

Pristine manual frugal install of 007 on my HP550 laptop.

All looking really good - touchpad ok - pnethood ok - midori ok - pfind welcome back - new look and feel is distinctive and smart.

2 small problems:

how do I change right click behaviour? you now have to hold right button down whilst navigating the menu - is this flsynclient?

mounting might be easier if the logo was more distinct on the panel - grey on grey is not good.

If only there was a way to make the desktop single click.....

Cheers and well done
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jemimah

#629 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:Got enclosed error message just before xstart (I had clicked the option to run the extra video drivers)
After error message it went into xorgwizard

I tried using Lucid Chromium 15
and Slacko Chromium 18 pets to run a browser but without success.
. . . however flash was installed during the Saluki setup procedure.

Early days. Very different to either Lucid. Slacko or Racy. :)
I think I know how to fix this. Stay tuned for a fix.

jemimah

Re: Right click behaviour

#630 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:Hi jemimah

2 small problems:

how do I change right click behaviour? you now have to hold right button down whilst navigating the menu - is this flsynclient?

mounting might be easier if the logo was more distinct on the panel - grey on grey is not good.

Cheers and well done
peebee
I didn't change the right click behavior on purpose. I think this is a bug of some sort.

If anyone knows of an icon that looks distinctively like a hard drive, even at a small size on a grey panel - please send it my way.

Pete22

I'm not entirely sure which message this is.

#631 Post by Pete22 »

:oops:

It's the readme message listed in the iso in version 7. It was called something else in version 6.

Hope that helps.

Pete.

jemimah

#632 Post by jemimah »

Ah, ok thanks. I'd never even seen that.

Pete22

Mounting drives

#633 Post by Pete22 »

Automounting is pretty dangerous on Puppy. First it gives windows users the idea that it's ok to not unmount, like it is on windows. If you do that in linux, you absolutely will lose data. Secondly, having the drives that you are not using unmounted prevents them from getting damaged, either by the user doing something dumb or by something going wrong with the software.

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know this. I am so glad that my friends here at Puppy taught me well to mount and unmount. That is why I was missing the drives showing on desktop so I could see if they were mounted or not.

I started working on 7 and noticed those messages about what drives were available. At first I thought that it meant that they were mounted. But I see that it does not.

I look forward to seeing how this issue is handled in version 8.

Pete

Pete22

Re: Luki 6

#634 Post by Pete22 »

Yeah the big white cursor is the best for visibility. Maybe I'll have it the default.
Yes, especially since the backgrounds are so beautiful. :!: :!:

The premium cursor is supposed to be animated, but it is kind of annoying.
Animated is fine if it would get bigger and smaller. Fading in and out defeats its function.

Pete22 wrote: No desktop key on task bar. there is a thingee that tells where each window is on this workspace but nothing that let me see the desktop monetarily.
You can add that in the panel preferences if you want. I'll replace the workspace switcher with the desktop shower for 008.

Wow Thanks
Pete22 wrote: I also had trouble after I maximized a page, it only wanted to be full size or minimized after that. I would like the choice of having it go back to it normal size too.
I'm not sure what the cause of this is.

My guess then it was user error.

Pete

Pete22

Firewall

#635 Post by Pete22 »

Pete22 wrote: did this puppy automatically set up a firewall or not? I found a place and set one up, but I still don’t see a place where I can tell if it is on.
It does not set one up automatically. In my opinion the firewall is not usually necessary and requires a fairly high level of expertise to configure and monitor correctly. I'll think about an applet but I think it just adds unneeded junk to the tray.

I wondered about this just paranoia from using windoze. Users, however, might be more comfortable if they knew it was on. If they saw it come on and then disappear that should be fine. Or perhaps a good explanation as to why it s not needed because Puppy is so Wonderful. :D

Pete